New Here

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

rajron

New Here

Post by rajron »

New here and a fist time scooter owner

A couple of three months ago my wife comes home and says she wants a scooter, this guy that she works with has a Stella and she thought it would be perfect for her because we live only about 3 miles from her work, she said we would save gas etc. Anyway we ended up getting her a Kymco People 150 because it was an automatic and she like the way it looked.
All along she has been telling me I also needed a bike as well so we could cruise around areas like the Rio Grande and enjoy scenery.
Well last Saturday we went down to the local scooter dealer New Urban Transport, great people, to have a look and we came home with a Buddy 125, black – Love it !
If anyone wants to know the People easily out accelerates the Buddy but once at cruising speed who cares – secretly I am hoping that, once broken in, the Buddy will pick up some pep and maybe keep up with her – she’s smaller than me anyway so that may be the advantage, or maybe it’s the 25cc’s.
So far I have put about 140 miles on her and have been taking her to work this week. Other than having to park next to much larger bikes, this is Harley country, it has been great and everyone comments on how cool looking it is. When I mention that I hope to be getting nearly 100 mpg their eyes open and either express how they should be doing something like getting a scooter or use something more economical because they are only getting like 10 mpg with their truck ( this is truck country as well), and it makes me feel like I defiantly spent my money wisely.
So other than writing to introduce my self I wanted to know where can I get better looking wheels for the bike?
My bike has these very plane stamped steel wheels. If I cannot get replacement wheels then I know I will be painting them another color other than the gray/silver they are now. More importantly, in and above the cosmetics, I am surprised with the way the tires feel, they seem to be un-balanced and can surely benefit with a simple balance job.
Anyone knows how, or who does balancing of these small wheels? I haven’t talked to the dealer yet so maybe they know but I wanted a reason to say Hi.
Hi.
Ron
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Re: New Here

Post by jrsjr »

Hey Ron,

Welcome to Modern Buddy and welcome to scooter ownership. I love all these stories were're hearing from couples who buy hers and his scooters, great stuff! I <3 New Urban Transport (NUT). Those folks treated us like royalty when we stopped there on our way across country in 2004. As for the wheels, trends come and go, but right now the hot ticket is powder coating. Take a look at these powder-coated wheels (from our sister site, Modern Vespa).

You could use your imagination to come up with an interesting color for your wheels.

As for the need to balance the tires, talk to NUT and see what they say. They are the experts.

Again, welcome to Modern Buddy. Have fun on your new Buddy. Ride Safe.
rajron

Thanx

Post by rajron »

Powder coating looks great; I just may do that, thanks for the picture but I can only see a teeny bit of the wheels whish I could see more.

ron
dahuffy

Post by dahuffy »

Welcome to "The Family" Ron :D I was the first in the house to get a scooter/Buddy too. My DH's followed about a month later. We've been married 27 years and we finally found something that we can truely say "We enjoy doing together". Have a ball you two and stay safe :!:

Debi
"Cinderella is proof that a pair of shoes can change your life"
rajron

Post by rajron »

Debi;

Thank you.
You guys have been married one year and one month longer than Kathleen and I have!
I have had my buddy now for 5 days and have put on 240 miles, in 60 more miles it due for its first oil change.
Here is a picture of our bikes.

Ron
Attachments
BuddyPeopleresi.jpg
BuddyPeopleresi.jpg (100.61 KiB) Viewed 1771 times
Last edited by rajron on Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
dahuffy

Post by dahuffy »

We were married June 16, 1979 in Minneapolis. :bat:
"Cinderella is proof that a pair of shoes can change your life"
BoneGirl

Post by BoneGirl »

Hi, Ron! My husband and I bought pink and black Buddies a few weeks ago and have had a blast. I have spoken to Brent at Genuine Scooter Company and you can take your scooter in within 500 miles, even though the manual says 340. Within 500 keeps you safely within what's expected according to your Warranty. Have fun...speaking of fun, you guys have helmets, I hope!!!
Blackeyes24

Post by Blackeyes24 »

BoneGirl wrote: I have spoken to Brent at Genuine Scooter Company and you can take your scooter in within 500 miles, even though the manual says 340. Within 500 keeps you safely within what's expected according to your Warranty.
What do they say about the oil changes after the first one. Do we really need to do them every 621miles (1000km)? Its good to know I can push it as far as 500 miles if I need to. I am planning on driving to Miami tomorrow (a 2hr ride on back roads) for my first oil change but now it is supposed to rain. If I cant go tomorrow it will be 2 weeks before I can try again.
BoneGirl

Post by BoneGirl »

I didn't ask about the follow up oil changes because we plan on doing them ourselves. But you're right...according to the Manual it's changed every 621 miles. But it also says to do the first one at 186 miles and Genuine told me to do the first oil change through the Dealer within 500 miles so I just got it back today. I may just ask the Dealer his suggestion. Sorry I'm not more help.
rajron

bugs in my teeth

Post by rajron »

My Buddy has been with me for, this will be the 7th day now and she has 460 miles, she is scheduled to be at the dealer on Wed for her first tune up at New Urban Transport here in town.
BoneGirl; of course we use helmets even though here in New Mexico it is not required to be used – strange. We are using open face helmets, but I am thinking I need a full face or what the call modular type where the front of the helmet actually opens and closes on will.
We went on a 100 miler yesterday and much of the ride was in the Bosque (forest along the river) and it was much different than much of our high desert where there were bugs everywhere. Kathleen has a full windscreen so nothing bothered her but I was fully exposed, had to use dental floss to rid the bugs between my teeth when we got home.