Buddy Fest 09?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

kilted texan

Post by kilted texan »

rajron wrote:Never been to Nashville – there is always the first time.
How cool would it be to have a S-load of Buddys in front of the Parthenon.

Nashville Parthenon
I brew... therefore I am.

Smoked Porter - Drinking
Peach Smoked Brown Ale - Drinking
Maibock - Lagering
British Mild - Carbonating
Oatmeal Stout - Aging in Whiskey barrel 3 weeks left
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

kilted texan wrote:For all of those interested in starting up "Budtoberfest in June" in their area is to find a hotel for out of towners that will offer a discount off their normal rate & will accommodate cars/trucks with trailers. For Nashville I would have to haul it from Fort Worth on 10 hours drive. Be sure to find a place that you would feel safe enough to leave your car & trailer there too.

If someone had a "farm" (ie. land) you could do it Woodstock-esk or "Scamping". Obviously that land owner would have the people staying sing a waiver saying "you are staying at your own risk & are not held responsible for your stupidity".
If we do Portland, I know of several parks that offer both camping spots and trailer parking that can be used for a very small fee. I also MIGHT be able to setup a Buddy track night at Portland International Raceway if we wanted to do some scooter racing ;)
Philio81

Post by Philio81 »

I'm in for Nashville - easy for me to say! I'd just recommend doing this maybe in early June or definitely not during the CMA Music Fest/Fanfair (6/11-14). That's when I plan to be out of town. And seriously, things will get pretty crowded and disrupted during this week.
etak

Post by etak »

Brooklyn to Nashville - 14 hours by car. :(

I vote for something honest-to-god east.
Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.
-Leonard Cohen

pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

14 hours means two days of 7 hour riding on the Buddy! Google it out and figure the mileage at a speed of 45 mph. You'll come in plenty under the time allowed if you ride like me, which gives you lots of time for sightseeing on the way! :D

I like how this is shaping up! :D
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
itzhak37

Post by itzhak37 »

etak wrote:Brooklyn to Nashville - 14 hours by car. :(

Ditto. I vote for either of the Carolinas or Virginia.
kilted texan

Post by kilted texan »

itzhak37 wrote:
etak wrote:Brooklyn to Nashville - 14 hours by car. :(

Ditto. I vote for either of the Carolinas or Virginia.
I don't think this a one place set up. You know you right coasters on set up your own to cut down on mileage traveled, say a 10 hour max cage driven radius. Where would that put you?

Smoked Porter - Drinking
Maibock - Lagering
kilted texan

Post by kilted texan »

Philio81 wrote:I'm in for Nashville - easy for me to say! I'd just recommend doing this maybe in early June or definitely not during the CMA Music Fest/Fanfair (6/11-14). That's when I plan to be out of town. And seriously, things will get pretty crowded and disrupted during this week.
Or maybe the week end after the CMA's?

And we can crash at house! Gee thanks that's awfully swell of you. :twisted:

Smoked Porter - Drinking
Maibock - Lagering
Nash50

Post by Nash50 »

I would travel all the way to Nashville for this.
Leeroy Jenkins

Post by Leeroy Jenkins »

This might be a shocker, but Nashville is very central to most people in the US.

Nashville is 600 miles of 50% of the population of the US.

OK, I gotta a wedding to go to Memorial day 09.

Yall can party in nashville, with out me, but I'll miss yall. :cry:

Weekend after Fan fair?
louie

Post by louie »

Leeroy Jenkins wrote:This might be a shocker, but Nashville is very central to most people in the US.

Nashville is 600 miles of 50% of the population of the US.

OK, I gotta a wedding to go to Memorial day 09.

Yall can party in nashville, with out me, but I'll miss yall. :cry:

Weekend after Fan fair?
excuse me, but i think you will have to show up at your own rally leeroy. :wink:
i don't know when the sues is. they didn't have it last year but i heard it will happen this year and it's camping outside of town. we wouldn't have to share the city with them, just saying i'd like to do both. if i had to choose i'd do the buddy. it's not that big of a deal.
irishtim

Post by irishtim »

As many of you know 2008 AmeriVespa was in Chattanooga (not far from Nashville). People came from CA, NY the UK, etc. One guy even RODE from Winnipeg! Let's not be wimps!
OH,PA,IN,WV,KY,TN,WI,MI,SC,ON,BDA
djelliott

Post by djelliott »

irishtim wrote:As many of you know 2008 AmeriVespa was in Chattanooga (not far from Nashville). People came from CA, NY the UK, etc. One guy even RODE from Winnipeg! Let's not be wimps!
Agreed Tim. We could roll with a huge Band of Buddys down from Cleveland and most likely have ourselves a really good time doing so. Break it up into two days even. The scenery from Cleve to Nash is pretty nice too.

Dustin
Prima pipe
UNI filter
125 Main Jet
2000RPM Stall Spring
1500RPM Clutch Springs
Dr. Pulley Variator with 11 Gram Sliders
NCY Front Forks
Prima/NCY 161cc Big Bore kit With 150 Head
KS Power GY6 Performance Springs
NCY Secondary Shieve
rgbwatcher

Post by rgbwatcher »

I humbly offer up Philly as the place to host the Northeast meetup of Buddyfest '09.

Modern Buddy's own polianarchy is here, there's a great Genuine dealer in Philadelphia Scooters, and several scooter clubs who may be persuaded to play with us Buddy folk.

We're just a couple of hours from NYC, DC, CT, NJ, and lots of other initials, not to mention places!

And if everyone comes (everyone who's closer to Philly than Nashville, of course), I'd invite y'all to take a leisurely drive out to the rolling hills of Chester County to visit me. If you're willing, I'll even put together a poker run or rally or something to raise money to prevent child abuse (a cause I'm active in).

Love the idea of a Buddy Fest - hope I get to participate (the Buddy's not the only new addition to my family!).

-rgbwatcher
BeachBuzz

Post by BeachBuzz »

rgbwatcher wrote:
I humbly offer up Philly as the place to host the Northeast meetup of Buddyfest '09.

Modern Buddy's own polianarchy is here, there's a great Genuine dealer in Philadelphia Scooters, and several scooter clubs who may be persuaded to play with us Buddy folk.

We're just a couple of hours from NYC, DC, CT, NJ, and lots of other initials, not to mention places!

And if everyone comes (everyone who's closer to Philly than Nashville, of course), I'd invite y'all to take a leisurely drive out to the rolling hills of Chester County to visit me. If you're willing, I'll even put together a poker run or rally or something to raise money to prevent child abuse (a cause I'm active in).

Love the idea of a Buddy Fest - hope I get to participate (the Buddy's not the only new addition to my family!).

-rgbwatcher
I'm in as long as Blur's are not discriminated against 8) I would love to do a (less than maxi) rally on the Blur.

I'm sure you know about the PA Scooter Rally in New Holland. It's a great weekend of scooter activities but in the fall rally the rides were restricted to 250 & up. there was talk about a second group for smaller scoots that didnt develop in time but there should be more time and effort to make it happen for the spring rally. I'm not sayin you should combine the BuddyFest idea but there is a big scooter rally in the works for spring - details should be coming out early in '09
Becktastic

Post by Becktastic »

BeachBuzz wrote:I'm in as long as Blur's are not discriminated against 8) I would love to do a (less than maxi) rally on the Blur.
I think BuddyFest is open to "Buddies and their buddies" ;)

in which case Blurs and any other scooters would be welcome to attend as long as their rider wasn't a Buddy hater :P

I was talking to a vintage Lambretta guy at the Fall Classic and he asked what I rode, I kind of braced myself when I said "I ride a Buddy" because I have heard how purists can get :P But he said that while he may talk smack about plastic twist in go's when he's hanging out with other vintage dudes, he has ridden all the Buddies and loves them! Ha!
Lift heavy eat clean!
etak

Post by etak »

rgbwatcher wrote:

-rgbwatcher

I would definitely be up for Philly!!
Trouble with places further away (besides my limited scootin' experience) is all the time I'd have to take off from work. I'm a contractor and don't get paid when I don't work. :(
Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.
-Leonard Cohen

Neducati

Post by Neducati »

We'd certainly be up for an event in the Philly area.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

etak wrote:
rgbwatcher wrote:

-rgbwatcher

I would definitely be up for Philly!!
Trouble with places further away (besides my limited scootin' experience) is all the time I'd have to take off from work. I'm a contractor and don't get paid when I don't work. :(
Yeah, thats why I suggested Portland or Seattle for the leftcoasters. I just can't take off the time to ride that far. But if it were close to home I'd be able to put in the effort to make it happen.
Spinergy

Post by Spinergy »

Just outside Nashville is the northern end of the Natchez Trace Parkway. It's a low speed [50mph tops] limited access road running from Nashville over 400 miles south southwest to Natchez, MS. Lots of rambling curves and an infinite number of scenic views, it's a road custom made for leisurely 2-wheel travel. There are many public and private campgrounds along the Trace plus several state parks and recreation areas. Would be good to plan a day trip to some point south, camp overnight, then back the next day. If everyone wanted to keep closer in to the city there's still a great loop down the Trace ~20 miles then back via some great country roads.

http://www.nps.gov/natr/

Timing wise you'll want to stay away from Nashville during Fan Fair [aka CMA Music Fest], '09 dates are June 11-14. Most of us locals use Fan Fair week as a time to evaluate our level of emergency preparedness and do a test run on our zombie plans. You do have a zombie plan don't you? :)
Laura

Buddyfest @ AMerivespa?

Post by Laura »

enzomatic wrote:we should just steal buddy riders away for a day during amerivespa, I know that we (Vespa Club of SC) are planning a few rides and events over here in Santa Cruz, it's only 45min-1hr off fwy scoot from saratoga/ los gatos where most of the stuff will be happening.

Hmmm...
I'll be at AmeriVespa with my 2 Bud's.

This may call for a group photo!
LAura

8)
chelsea
Dealer

Post by chelsea »

I'm obviously big on Central Virginia. It's not just because I live here, either. We're within 8ish hours of nearly everything on the east coast, PA and OH, and south and west a pretty decent amount as well.

We've got (small) mountains, woods, ocean, river, and most other terrains within a reasonably small distance.

We've got people on scooters in some organizations that can make some stuff happen.

And perhaps most importantly, we've got help doing our spring rally this year, so we may have some extra manpower to do an event during the actual summer months.

basically I'm trying to say that I am offering up our humble city and surrounding state for the possibility of a buddy-centric event. get in touch if you wanna see what we can do.
ericalm
Site Admin

Re: Buddyfest @ AMerivespa?

Post by ericalm »

Laura wrote:
enzomatic wrote:we should just steal buddy riders away for a day during amerivespa, I know that we (Vespa Club of SC) are planning a few rides and events over here in Santa Cruz, it's only 45min-1hr off fwy scoot from saratoga/ los gatos where most of the stuff will be happening.

Hmmm...
I'll be at AmeriVespa with my 2 Bud's.

This may call for a group photo!
LAura

8)
Hell, yeah!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
loodieboy

Post by loodieboy »

I'm in. Please tell my wife.
Clearly.
DanteG

Philly ?

Post by DanteG »

One more vote for a Philly regional rally.
when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

HST
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

This ain't allowed to just die.
BUMP.

:twisted:
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

Well...maybe there can be a Buddyfest at Philly's Independence Day rally? There could be a Buddy-only ride. Or do we need it to be *JUST* Buddy scooters?
ModBud #442
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

BeachBuzz wrote:I'm in as long as Blur's are not discriminated against 8) I would love to do a (less than maxi) rally on the Blur.
Blurfest '09 is in my backyard this weekend, if every north american Blur owner shows up, I'll still have some hot dogs left over.

Bb.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

There will definitely be a member gathering at AmeriVespa. MB Happy Hour? We'll do something.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

illnoise wrote:
Blurfest '09 is in my backyard this weekend, if every north american Blur owner shows up, I'll still have some hot dogs left over.

Bb.
What if all 4 of us decide we want *2* hotdogs?! Wait... that still works out. Dammit!
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
Angela

Post by Angela »

ericalm wrote:There will definitely be a member gathering at AmeriVespa. MB Happy Hour? We'll do something.
I am looking forward to that. I like putting a face with the name.
laxer

Post by laxer »

Lostmycage wrote:
illnoise wrote:

Bb.
What if all 4 of us decide we want *2* hotdogs?! Wait... that still works out. Dammit!
You'll have leftover hotdogs but no leftover buns :D
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

I'll make HotDogtopuses out of the extras, for hors d'oeuvres.

And re: Amerivespa: if you're going, PREREGISTER NOW. Last year lots of people were turned away because they didn't preregister, and that was in Chattanooga, imagine what it'll be like in the Bay Area. Please, please preregister. Sorry to keep bringing it up, but it wasn't pretty last year and hearts were broken and dreams were crushed.

Bb.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
laxer

Post by laxer »

...almost forgot, Vegas, definitely in Vegas...
Angela

Post by Angela »

illnoise wrote:I'll make HotDogtopuses out of the extras, for hors d'oeuvres.

And re: Amerivespa: if you're going, PREREGISTER NOW. Last year lots of people were turned away because they didn't preregister, and that was in Chattanooga, imagine what it'll be like in the Bay Area. Please, please preregister. Sorry to keep bringing it up, but it wasn't pretty last year and hearts were broken and dreams were crushed.

Bb.
good to know!
Who Dat Ninja?!

I wanna be down with this!!!!

Post by Who Dat Ninja?! »

I live in New Jersey and I want to see who is around the central Jersey shore area. I just picked up my blackjack to do some beach front cruisin and I am trying to figure out who else in the area is down for some rides.

B
lmyers

Post by lmyers »

I have a trailer now so I can go anywhere (but California). The Buddy is so quiet, you have to have someone along to make a little noise.
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

illnoise wrote:I'll make HotDogtopuses out of the extras, for hors d'oeuvres.
NANNERPUS!!!

ModBud #442
sotied

East Coast

Post by sotied »

Can I get a vote for a NE Buddyfest? The New England states are CT, RI, MA, ME, NH and VT.

Riding my 125 to Philly is insanity as is Jersey. But I can probably get to Foxwoods or Springfield or Nashua or Portsmouth or Cape Cod and definitely to Boston.

Anyone in this area? There's a scooter rally in the area already in June (Rippinest Rally of the East) and we could just tag onto that if you want. It happens in the shadow of Fenway Park in Boston and last year they had hundreds of random scoots - I was the only Buddy in the procession.

Thoughts?
Jeff • #2163
Scooter Photo Scavenger Hunter (see Gallery!)
http://www.jeffcutler.com
Gleng

Phoenix

Post by Gleng »

I'm up for something in Phoenix... I actually already spoke to someone at Genuine about this at the Dealer show in INDY.

What do we have to do?

Glen g., President, Scooter club of Metro Phoenix
johnre

Post by johnre »

Actually, I can't imagine a better place for a rally than in Sedona. Imagine scooters and red rocks. How about a side trip to the Grand Canyon? Only 2 1/2 hrs from Sedona. Some of the best photographic areas in the United States.
Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded.
laxer

Re: Phoenix

Post by laxer »

Gleng wrote: What do we have to do?
Go to Vegas!
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

As long as ya'll pick something closer than California for me, I'll be happy. Almost 3000 miles one-way is pushing my luck. ;)

I'll consider a 1,000-mile ride or less one-way in late summer or after, though. Just not the beginning of November. I'm already promised to a venue in Philly. Just make it a city that has a Genuine dealer...if it's pushing 1000, I'll need an oil change before I head back! :lol:
UnionZac

Post by UnionZac »

If we do a Buddyfest in Nashville I would be glad to let some people crash at mine. This would be awesome.
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

OMG I HAVE SUCH A GOOD IDEA!!!

Everybody pick their local rally. Got one? Good! No? Okeh, y'all start your own!*

Now, tell everyone attending that rally that you're leading a Buddy-only ride or having a Buddy-only photo session and/or party. Take a million photos, post 'em on scoot.net & hotlink 'em here.

YAY BUDDYFEST FOR EVERYONE!!!

Waddaya think, sirs?*

*I just referenced the Big Boys & MST3K in one post.
ModBud #442
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

polianarchy wrote:OMG I HAVE SUCH A GOOD IDEA!!!

Everybody pick their local rally. Got one? Good! No? Okeh, y'all start your own!*

Now, tell everyone attending that rally that you're leading a Buddy-only ride or having a Buddy-only photo session and/or party. Take a million photos, post 'em on scoot.net & hotlink 'em here.

Waddaya think, sirs?*

Can I come to someone else's? I got no Buddy in my area but me. :(
Check the map...it's sad in western north carolina. :cry:
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Cheshire wrote:
polianarchy wrote:OMG I HAVE SUCH A GOOD IDEA!!!

Waddaya think, sirs?*

Can I come to someone else's? I got no Buddy in my area but me. :(
Check the map...it's sad in western north carolina. :cry:
You're always welcome in P-Town, Buddies are EVERYWHERE here.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Okay, say there were a big gathering of Buddyists in one place. We could do a ride… but anything else? What would make for a cool, Buddy people event?

And how do we attract the many owners who don't participate in the forum and local clubs? There are hundreds of them in this area alone!

Ideas?
UnionZac

Post by UnionZac »

ericalm wrote:Okay, say there were a big gathering of Buddyists in one place. We could do a ride… but anything else? What would make for a cool, Buddy people event?

And how do we attract the many owners who don't participate in the forum and local clubs? There are hundreds of them in this area alone!

Ideas?
I nominate KrustyBurger to make the poster for our National Campaign which includes a URL for the section of MB devoted to this topic. We then leave space to write in the specific location and date (like a band flier), and hang them out our local Buddy dealers shop. New owners and owners just in for a service or whatever will see it.

activities:
panel swap?
cookout showcasing local flavours?
some sort of critical mass type event where we let the public now "we're here... down here"
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Let's say I'm crowdsourcing ideas for an actual event that may be repeated in more than one location. And let's say (hypothetically for now) that this event or gathering has support from Genuine.