The official answer to the scheduled maintenance question!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Blackeyes24

The official answer to the scheduled maintenance question!

Post by Blackeyes24 »

Below is the email I received from Genuine today:
Sarah:

The optimum schedule is this for Buddy 125 and Blur is the following:

Change oil and perform first service at 200 miles. This includes a valve clearance inspection. Scooter people aren't typically familiar with valves, but people who are experienced with motorcycles (and four stroke engines in general) know this is a part of regular maintenance.

After the first oil change, you can go 1,000-1,500 miles (I recommend 1,000) if you use regular oil. If you use synthetic, you can go 1,500-2,000 miles between oil changes (I recommend 1,500).

Inspect the valve clearance every 4,000 miles, adjust if necessary.
-The standard valve spacing is between 0.06 – 0.10mm with engine off.
-When the spacing is too small, idle speed will become unstable and you can burn up the valves.

-When the spacing is too large, loud noise will occur and the scooter will run poorly.

This is all in miles, and straight from the factory.

Thanks!!!

Brett Ratner
Genuine Scooters Dealer Development
877.MY.STELLA
rickyd410

Post by rickyd410 »

I don't know, I talked to the guys at my scooter shop and they say 186 is too early for maintenance. They say it's just not necessary, but to bring in sometime before 500 to keep it under warranty.

That being said, I'm at about 350 and am going to make an appointment sometime this week.
mybetty

Post by mybetty »

i took betty in for first service yesterday, as recommended by my service guy, ryan. i had 320 miles on her, so i was just past his recommendation of 300 miles. he changed my oil, gear oil, checked air pressure, and i had him tighten rear brake cable (it had started to loosen up a little). i do not know ih he checked the valve clearance, that ws the first i've heard about that. i will call and find out! thanks. he said to bring her back in at 1500 miles, and then he's gonna switch me to synthetic oil. since i am done with my "break in period", after i left the shop to tooled around town for a while, then went onto some country roads around here and betty and i were flying at 67mph (according to speedometer!) awesome...
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

Thanks for posting that! That is a pretty rigorous schedule! I only plan on taking the scoot in for the first service, then will do the subsequent ones myself, especially as it's easily an 1hr (or more) ride to the dealer each way.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Thanks Sarah! Now who is going to post the procedure for checking and adjusting valve clearence?

BR Not-David
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
hermitgirl

Post by hermitgirl »

My dealer told me 500, but I think I might bring it in a 350 just to be safe. Especially because like vitaminC, I've got an hour ride to get it to the shop.

Can I ask where you got yours, vitaminC? There aren't a whole lot of Buddy sellers in the Bay Area. :)
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

hermitgirl wrote: Can I ask where you got yours, vitaminC? There aren't a whole lot of Buddy sellers in the Bay Area. :)
Sure! I imagine we have both supported San Fransisco Scooter Center. Barry sure seems to love the Buddy's, though he should as he seems to have sold a boatload of them! :wink:

He encouraged me to do the "fast" break-in and to wait a bit on the first service due to my distance (I'm in Palo Alto). However, I am considering just doing an "on-time" oil change and then taking it in later for the full service. I want to at least have one complete service performed by the shop before I begin taking care of the maintenance issues myself.
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

BuddyRaton wrote:Thanks Sarah! Now who is going to post the procedure for checking and adjusting valve clearence?

BR Not-David
The procedure is located in the service manual. It's not too hard, just make sure the engine is cold and take your time.

Also check this out: Valve Adjustment Simplified
hermitgirl

Post by hermitgirl »

vitaminC wrote:
hermitgirl wrote: Can I ask where you got yours, vitaminC? There aren't a whole lot of Buddy sellers in the Bay Area. :)
Sure! I imagine we have both supported San Fransisco Scooter Center. Barry sure seems to love the Buddy's, though he should as he seems to have sold a boatload of them! :wink:

He encouraged me to do the "fast" break-in and to wait a bit on the first service due to my distance (I'm in Palo Alto). However, I am considering just doing an "on-time" oil change and then taking it in later for the full service. I want to at least have one complete service performed by the shop before I begin taking care of the maintenance issues myself.
You are exactly right. :) And I'm in San Jose, so similiar issues. The first trip up El Camino Real to bring it in for service will be interesting!
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

hermitgirl wrote: You are exactly right. :) And I'm in San Jose, so similiar issues. The first trip up El Camino Real to bring it in for service will be interesting!
I was thinking that it would be fun to cover some of the trip along Skyline before having to resort to El Camino. However, I still have a little while before I need to start thinking about it too hard.
mlstephens

Post by mlstephens »

BuddyRaton wrote:Thanks Sarah! Now who is going to post the procedure for checking and adjusting valve clearence?

BR Not-David
I would gladly do this, however my travel schedule is keeping me out of the garage (and unfortunately off of the Buddy as well).

The cold motor requirement makes it a LOT easier than on some cars where the valve adjustment needs to be done with a warm motor.
chief

Post by chief »

I got real close to doing the whole valve clearance thing. Was able to unscrew the valve cover easily, but I have no idea how to get the intake pipe disconnected fro the cover. Seems like it should pull off somehow, but it wouldn't budge.

Anyone know how to get the intake pipe off correctly?
broke

Post by broke »

chief wrote:Anyone know how to get the intake pipe off correctly?
olhogrider's photos are REALLY helpful.

topic8312.html
(This post is in the "Technical" Forum)
chloefpuff

Post by chloefpuff »

My dealer said 300 miles. This makes me nervous.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

This information has been available in the tech section for a long time now, but it's good to see it reposted. I had my oil changed at 250 miles by my dealer, then I did it myself at 1000.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

chloefpuff wrote:My dealer said 300 miles. This makes me nervous.
Shouldn't make you nervous at all. Many dealers recommend waiting as long as 600 miles before first service. I have a feeling this schedule will be revised when Genuine completes its new manuals.

Stick to your dealer recommendation. 300-600 miles is reasonable for this type of engine and is similar to what's recommended for other scooters. Your dealer is the one who will deal with warranty work if any is ever necessary. You won't be denied service for a valid claim if you follow the dealer's recommendation.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
old and in the way

Tovitaminc@hermitgirl

Post by old and in the way »

I don't know if you ladies are aware of Moto Italiano in San Jose,they are aGenuine Buddy dealer. I havent had direct experance with their S.J. location but I use their branch in Santa Cruse[Capatola realy] and have nothing but prase for their service. I got my Buddy from them when I won it and they took care of delivery and prep. Replaced rear tire[no easy job!] and help with all my dumb questions! :oops: Their add. @ph.# are in Buddy Dealer Directory alonge with google map! This may save trip to S.F. and maybe $$......check thim out. old and in the way :wink:
ericalm
Site Admin

Re: Tovitaminc@hermitgirl

Post by ericalm »

old and in the way wrote:I don't know if you ladies are aware of Moto Italiano in San Jose,they are aGenuine Buddy dealer. I havent had direct experance with their S.J. location but I use their branch in Santa Cruse[Capatola realy] and have nothing but prase for their service. I got my Buddy from them when I won it and they took care of delivery and prep. Replaced rear tire[no easy job!] and help with all my dumb questions! :oops: Their add. @ph.# are in Buddy Dealer Directory alonge with google map! This may save trip to S.F. and maybe $$......check thim out. old and in the way :wink:
Heh, this thread originates from 2006 and probably predates the San Jose dealership! :)
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
old and in the way

Post by old and in the way »

:oops: Oops! Sorry Eric,thanks for pointing that out. I only looked at the last 5 or6 post dates! Some still may not know of expanded Buddy dealer options :oops: .
rickko

Re: The official answer to the scheduled maint. question

Post by rickko »

Blackeyes24 wrote:Below is the email I received from Genuine today:
Sarah:

-The standard valve spacing is between 0.06 – 0.10mm with engine off....

I'd sure like to see someone check the spacing with the engine on! :D

This must have been written by local Taiwanese. Never heard of valve 'spacing.' Heard of valve clearance.

I wonder what – means.

..rickko..
Ride it like you enjoy it!
MB member #2568
Rob

Post by Rob »

rickko wrote:I'd sure like to see someone check the spacing with the engine on! :D

..rickko..
:D I was thinking the same thing when I read that. You better be quick ... real quick.

Rob
scooterjon
Banned

Post by scooterjon »

Does Genuine have a technical service rep? Seems odd to me that a Dealer Developer (sales person) is answering a technical question? Seems strange that you have to check the valves every 4000 miles while most scooters and motorcycles it is every 12,000 or more?

:?

Jon
chicagoscooterclub

Post by chicagoscooterclub »

Here in Chicago where ScooterWorks and Genuine are located they tell customers to come in at 500 miles or just before for first service and oil change.
Chicago Scooter Club
Scooter is our middle name
www.chicagoscooterclub.com
Racenut

Re: Tovitaminc@hermitgirl

Post by Racenut »

old and in the way wrote:I don't know if you ladies are aware of Moto Italiano in San Jose,they are aGenuine Buddy dealer. I havent had direct experance with their S.J. location but I use their branch in Santa Cruse[Capatola realy] and have nothing but prase for their service. I got my Buddy from them when I won it and they took care of delivery and prep. Replaced rear tire[no easy job!] and help with all my dumb questions! :oops: Their add. @ph.# are in Buddy Dealer Directory alonge with google map! This may save trip to S.F. and maybe $$......check thim out. old and in the way :wink:
Another plus one for the guys over at Moto Italiano Santa Cruz. Got my Blur and wife's Buddy there. Good guys who know their stuff, I wish they had different shop rates for scooters vs Ducatti and Aprilias haha. But good guys for sure.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

rickko wrote:
Blackeyes24 wrote:Below is the email I received from Genuine today:
Sarah:

-The standard valve spacing is between 0.06 – 0.10mm with engine off....

I'd sure like to see someone check the spacing with the engine on! :D

This must have been written by local Taiwanese. Never heard of valve 'spacing.' Heard of valve clearance.

I wonder what – means.

..rickko..
Heh, thats actually not as crazy as it sounds. Its not uncommon with cars to check the valve lash while running. I've done it myself before.
johnny_buddha

Re: The official answer to the scheduled maintenance questio

Post by johnny_buddha »

Hmmm...according to the service manual (and the do-it-yourself valve adjustment tech note), the spacing should be 0.08mm. Is it the same for both the 125 and 150?
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

johnny_buddha wrote:
Hmmm...according to the service manual (and the do-it-yourself valve adjustment tech note), the spacing should be 0.08mm. Is it the same for both the 125 and 150?
Interesting, I got that from my copy of the service manual :) Yes, its the same for ALL GY6 based motors actually, not just the ones in our Buddies.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Kaos wrote:
johnny_buddha wrote:
Interesting, I got that from my copy of the service manual :) Yes, its the same for ALL GY6 based motors actually, not just the ones in our Buddies.
I get an itch every time I hear "same for all GY6" because there are many differences. Not doubting you, but where'd that info come from?
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

ericalm wrote:
Kaos wrote:
johnny_buddha wrote: Hmmm...according to the service manual (and the do-it-yourself valve adjustment tech note), the spacing should be 0.08mm. Is it the same for both the 125 and 150?
I get an itch every time I hear "same for all GY6" because there are many differences. Not doubting you, but where'd that info come from?
Ok, I'll change that to "In my experience" :)
I've gotten that info while researching cam shafts for my Buddy. I've looked at every GY6 clone I've been able to find, and so far they've all had the same valve clearance specs(Even the 4v heads!)

But I see your point Eric, Not all GY6's are created equal. Infact, the Buddy 125's GY6 is quite a strange beast :)
armacham

Post by armacham »

johnny_buddha wrote:
if i'm not mistaken .08 mm falls within the subset of between 0.06 and 0.1 mm