Dr. Pulley 11g slider weights

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

jfrost2

Dr. Pulley 11g slider weights

Post by jfrost2 »

I opened my variator about 2 weeks ago, found a cracked roller weight that was stuck, had to get it fixed soon or else bad stuff could happen. Ordered 11g sliders from taiwan for 20 dollars after shipping. Waited a week after ordering them, got them yesterday, installed today.

Install went smooth, tested the bike at idle, seemed fine, then twisted the throttle to see if the variator would stay in place and not fall apart. Worked perfectly fine! Rode it around the neighborhood as another test, got up to 45 indicated, then went out around town. Everything works. I like to take these baby steps, I dont want to go out into town right after tightening the nut down and then getting stranded 4 miles from home if I did anything wrong.

As far as performance in a stock variator, the bike accelerates slightly faster, but not much of a difference, it is noticeable though. The rattling sounds are gone, deceleration is so smooth now, and so is acceleration.

I got the sliders and the spacers for only 20 dollars, the guy on ebay who sold them is in Taiwan and is very nice. He said shipping would take at least 2 weeks or more, they came in 8 days. Buy from autotech335 on ebay, he sells nothing but sliders, variators, carbs, belts, etc. Dont pay higher prices from MRP or Scooterstation.
armacham

Post by armacham »

I just did this and also added a dr pulley variator. My RPMS are higher, but it is like a bat out of hell off the line now. I couldn't get up to top speed to test how that was affected yet.

Edit: Little bit of an update, I wrung it out a little bit on the way home from work. I got it up to about 65 indicated before I had to slow down due to spotting some MC cops. It felt like it had a little more in it. I definitely recommend this update to anyone. Next step will probably be a prima pipe and a kevlar belt once my old one goes out of spec.
mhardgrove

Post by mhardgrove »

I weight 275lbs, what weights would be recommended for top speed? I don't care so much for jack rabbit starts, but I am only getting up to 50-55 on level ground (indicated on the speedo). I have not fully broken the scooter in though, will wear in lead to an increased top end?
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

I was checking out the variators, etc on ebay. None of them specifically said anything about fitting Genuine scooters. Are they generic? Which variator do I buy?

Howard
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
PasadenaSue

Post by PasadenaSue »

jfrost2 -

How many miles did you have on the original weights? I found the sliders on ebay, but shipping is $9! Kind of high for a $16 part... Did you work a deal or pay less or ??

Thanks -

PasadenaSue
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Shipping is 9 dollars because they are coming from taiwan and are quickly air mailed from a Giant USPS jet.

That's what I was going to pay, but I bought 2 sets (1 for me, 1 for my dad, or 1 for myself in the future) and he combined the shipping. That's how it came out to around 40 for both sets after shipping.

DR pulley variators fit anything gy6 really. Including the buddy. If you read, his descriptions do say they fit PGO bikes, which are Genuines. Even then, DR pulley is Dr pulley, if you buy the variator, you know it will fit.

Also for heavy riders, the basic roller/slider weight rules are, heavier weights for explosive bottom end , lower top end. Lighter weights for lower bottom end, higher top end.

But the shape of the sliders themselves already allow you to access higher rpm's on the top because of the shape. No one else makes good sliders like these.

Also, 25-26 after shipping is the usual cost to purchase a set from taiwan, you're getting the spacers, and the sliders, buying a set of rollers from scooterworks already cost 18-20 dollars after shipping, so 5-6 dollars more for a longer lasting, higher quality product is much much more worth it.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

mhardgrove wrote:I weight 275lbs, what weights would be recommended for top speed? I don't care so much for jack rabbit starts, but I am only getting up to 50-55 on level ground (indicated on the speedo). I have not fully broken the scooter in though, will wear in lead to an increased top end?
Break in will lead to higher top speeds. I'd wait until you've got 600 miles or so on it before messing with the rollers.

Heavier rollers (er, sliders) will get you higher top speeds, but I think because of your weight, you'd see a fairly significant decline in acceleration off the line and you might be putting lot of extra wear on the engine. The performance variator might help overall.

I'm not sure what weights the Dr. Pulleys come in but even a difference of a few grams (total) affects performance.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Here's their website for more info about sliders
http://unionmaterial.com/rollerweight6.htm
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

ericalm wrote:
mhardgrove wrote:I weight 275lbs, what weights would be recommended for top speed? I don't care so much for jack rabbit starts, but I am only getting up to 50-55 on level ground (indicated on the speedo). I have not fully broken the scooter in though, will wear in lead to an increased top end?
Break in will lead to higher top speeds. I'd wait until you've got 600 miles or so on it before messing with the rollers.

Heavier rollers (er, sliders) will get you higher top speeds, but I think because of your weight, you'd see a fairly significant decline in acceleration off the line and you might be putting lot of extra wear on the engine. The performance variator might help overall.

I'm not sure what weights the Dr. Pulleys come in but even a difference of a few grams (total) affects performance.
Dr Pulley sliders come in .5 gram intervals. 11g 10.5g 10g etc....
Prima rollers come in 1 gram intervals.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Someone on ebay is selling "Square" sliders. I've never seen them before, but they claim they fit in a buddy 125/150. I'd steer away from them. They're selling a MRP performace kit, just a DR pulley variator, "square sliders", and clutch springs. 600 dollars, not worth it.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

jfrost2 wrote:Someone on ebay is selling "Square" sliders. I've never seen them before, but they claim they fit in a buddy 125/150. I'd steer away from them. They're selling a MRP performace kit, just a DR pulley variator, "square sliders", and clutch springs. 600 dollars, not worth it.
Holy crap! The variator is $100, a set of sliders is $16 and the springs are all of $6! That is a serious rip off!
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Forgot to mention it has a MRP muffler for the buddy, but still not worth it.

By the way, square sliders, DR pulley doesnt make them. They are either fake, or some other brand.
armacham

Post by armacham »

ere's where I got my variator from, I haven't seen them available from autotech for a while, and this is the cheapest place I've seen them online.

http://www.buggypartsnw.com/home?page=s ... duct_id=18
350kmi

Post by 350kmi »

How are you liking the Dr Pulley variator now that you have a few more miles on it? Have you noticed any difference in top speed over the stock set up?
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Here's what I noticed:

8mph slower top speed, Horrible acceleration and they wore out twice as fast as the Prima Rollers. This is with 12g sliders and the DrP variator.

I put my stock variator back in and I WOULD NOT recommend any Dr Pulley product to anyone. Nothing beats stock, these things are designed to be racers!
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Lostmycage wrote:Here's what I noticed:

8mph slower top speed, Horrible acceleration and they wore out twice as fast as the Prima Rollers. This is with 12g sliders and the DrP variator.

I put my stock variator back in and I WOULD NOT recommend any Dr Pulley product to anyone. Nothing beats stock, these things are designed to be racers!
Wow, really? I gained 7 or 8 MPH in the top end, had a HUGE spike in acceleration off the line, as well as a smoother power curve. I also have only swapped my sliders twice in 14k miles.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

:rofl: :clown:
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Lostmycage wrote::rofl: :clown:
I wonder about you sometimes.....
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

With a 100% stock 125 with 11g sliders, I can easily hit 50+ with less than 1/4th throttle. I'm also only 100 pounds, 5 feet 8 inches tall. Acceleration a bit boosted, I'm hitting higher rpm's earlier because of those sliders, so I can hit 50+ faster than stock and with less throttle. I'm no speed demon so I'm never going to try how fast I can go maximum with just these sliders, but from estimation, I wouldnt doubt if I could hit 80+, but like I said, I'll never ever EVER try it. I dont think holding that speed is very safe either for long periods of time.

I'm guessing this is either a april fools joke, or you are just trying to smite the good quality of Dr Pulley.

I've recommended and helped many members who PM'd me on where to buy and how to install, and everyone has had nothing but good things to say about Dr Pulley. There is even a thread for proof, I forgot his username, but he had pictures of his mechanic installing the sliders and variator, and he comments on how well they work.

Dr Pulley sliders are nylon coated, so they dont wear out as fast as prima rollers do. Prima is like as cheap as it gets in roller weights, nothing is worse than prima.
enzomatic

Post by enzomatic »

i guess it's about time to start looking into these things, so I'm looking at $90 for the Var and $25ish for the sliders, when my belt goes I'll be switching to kevlar I guess, got a windshield coming, we'll see how my scoot likes that. Exhaust will have to wait a bit longer.
Looking for ppl to ride with in LA.
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

good post
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Enzo, how many miles are on your bike? I'd buy the kevlar belt at the same time too then when your rollers are flatting and wearing out, replace everything at once. It's alot easier to disassemble the variator, change out the belt, and and put the new Dr pulley's in. Kill 3 birds with 1 stone.

The stock rollers usually last 5-7+ thousand miles, belt depends.
enzomatic

Post by enzomatic »

5200 miles now, I actually don't care about increasing take-off speed, I just want to increase mid-top range, nothing too drastic though, I'm planning on doing a lot of longer distance riding this year (hitting up a bunch of rallies) and want to be able to hold speed a bit better, if someone wants to link to the exact page for the slider/ variator products I should get, I can bookmark those and start saving.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

The kevlar belt can be bought from scooterworks website easily, the slider weights, just search ebay for "11g dr pulley" and look for autotech355 in taiwan, he ships very quickly.

The variator itself, there is a ATV and go kart site that sells the Dr Pulley variator that fits the buddy, i forgot the website link though. Many people who ride ATV's also upgrade with Dr pulley products because they know they work very well.

I'd say around 7k miles, just replace everything (variator, sliders, belt)
enzomatic

Post by enzomatic »

yeah i got that site, http://www.buggypartsnw.com/home?page=s ... duct_id=18 and that specific one fits? and is it the 18x14 sliders from ebay?
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Yep, the Buddy takes the 18x14 sliders and the variator is the 115mm (model # 181401).
rablack

Post by rablack »

April Fools
Scooterist, lawyer, double bassist www.traveler-music.com
armacham

Post by armacham »

How many miles are the Dr Pulley sliders expected to last.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

rablack wrote:

April Fools

Shh! You're gonna spill the beans!

:rofl: :clown:
Leeroy Jenkins

Post by Leeroy Jenkins »

I have had the 11g docs in my stock vari. I like em.

my stock roller went flat @ 3k miles.

Sliders are still strong @ 10k miles.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Prima rollers (not stock rollers) went flat after 600 miles. The Sliders look new (black dusting aside) after 3k miles with them.

And the DrP sliders aren't coated in nylon, they're solid nylon, that (and their shape) is what keeps them from wearing down. And I think the stock rollers are solid nylon as well, they are pretty durable. I wouldn't replace them unless you're looking to change the acceleration characteristics or they've worn down (they should easily last 5k miles)

Also, I wouldn't suggest replacing the stock variator unless it's for a performance boost. The Stock variator is tough! The ramps are VERY similar, the main difference is the Dr P variator has a lightened fan, which decreases resistance. It'll take a lot of miles to wear down that stock variator... And none of that has anything to do with April Fools (at least in *this* post).
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

People get mixed results with Dr pulley's life time, but they are always much higher than stock. I'd still check them every 6-7k though just in case. They wear very different than rollers do since they slide. (thus why they are called slider weights) They wear evenly too, unlike rollers which can flat out in spots.
r0sa

Post by r0sa »

gearhead wrote:good post
good post ey?! now, you gotta do something now *hint hint*
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

jfrost2 wrote:People get mixed results with Dr pulley's life time, but they are always much higher than stock. I'd still check them every 6-7k though just in case. They wear very different than rollers do since they slide. (thus why they are called slider weights) They wear evenly too, unlike rollers which can flat out in spots.
That's right. But always check before just throwing money at something. It might be money you could throw at something else!
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

r0sa wrote:
gearhead wrote:good post
good post ey?! now, you gotta do something now *hint hint*
yes.. i will be installing some on yours pretty soon :D
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

OK, let me say this:

I LOVE DrP Slider weights. They are a great bargain and can be had for as little as $20 shipped. The DrP Variator is a nice little add on, but it's pricey. If you're looking for improved performance, there's other variators out there. Just look for the GY6 115mm variator kits. Koso, Prodigy, DrP and NCY; they all offer improvements on the stock setup.

I'm going to try another setup really soon and might even offer up my DrP Variator at a reasonable price (1/2 original cost) if it works out. Hopefully a few things I've bought in error will sell on Ebay and allow me to get this one sooner rather than later. I'll make a separate post on it once I've had a chance to test it personally.

Until then, DrP slider weights are hands down the best thing you can add to your scooter; in cost, durability and performance. The design is made so that a heavier weight acts initially like a lower weight: you get the initial acceleration of a lighter weight combined with the top end speed and roll on acceleration (as well as gas mileage) of a heavier weight. It's a no-brainer. Not good enough? Consider the fact that they wear less and more even than rollers because they don't bang around in the variator.

What's the price difference between roller and sliders? 2-3 tanks of gas? Think about it that way.

One thing, though... unless you're supporting your local shop/dealer (who may or may-not be an MRP Dealer) buy them from someone on Ebay that's in Taiwan. No need to pay a heavy mark-up to someone whose just making money off you; they really won't care how it works out for you. Folks like Autotech355 or amy218613 (I've had pleasant experiences with both of them) try their best and offer competitive rates and great customer service.

Sorry Unionmaterials, you backed a lame horse for your US distributor.
Bobltc

Post by Bobltc »

Has anyone tried this place?
http://scootertronics.com/mrpgy6va2ge.html
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

enzomatic wrote:yeah i got that site, http://www.buggypartsnw.com/home?page=s ... duct_id=18 and that specific one fits? and is it the 18x14 sliders from ebay?
site isn't working
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

nvm, now it is =)
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Bobltc wrote:Has anyone tried this place?
http://scootertronics.com/mrpgy6va2ge.html
Not personally, but I have come across very bad reviews of Scootertronics in the past. Enough to make me very hesitant to deal with them (in other words, I won't buy from them unless they are the only supplier of something I absolutely must have: 1% chance of that happening). Plus, they're over priced.... by a lot!

I won't buy anything "MRP" branded, since they just put their name on another maker. Your guess is better than mine as far as how reliable the parts might be.

You're welcome to them, though. Just let us know the outcome.
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

So...if I was to do this upgrade, do I need to do both the slider weights AND variator, or just the weights?

I think I understand how the weights work, but explain the variator bit?

*gingerly sticks toe in the waters of modification*
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Cheshire wrote:So...if I was to do this upgrade, do I need to do both the slider weights AND variator, or just the weights?

I think I understand how the weights work, but explain the variator bit?

*gingerly sticks toe in the waters of modification*
From the MB Glossary:

The pulley-based CVTs in scooters employ a clutch, variator and drive belt rather than the gears found on manual transmissions and most automobile automatics. Centrifugal forces from engine RPMs (revolutions per minute) cause roller weights in the variator to move inwards and outwards, altering the circumference of the drive belt and changing the gear ratio. While a CVT technically has an infinite number of gear ratios, in practice the variator and weights of the rollers create thresholds in which the gear ratio discernibly changes at certain RPMs.
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/cvt.htm
Last edited by ericalm on Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
enzomatic

Post by enzomatic »

also I though the dr pulley variator would increase the range of gear ratios
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

enzomatic wrote:also I though the dr pulley variator would increase the range of gear ratios
The ramp on the variator is longer and steeper, so yes, it CAN increase the range of ratios as long as your bike has the torque to get the variator all the way closed.
djelliott

Post by djelliott »

Kaos wrote:

Wow, really? I gained 7 or 8 MPH in the top end, had a HUGE spike in acceleration off the line, as well as a smoother power curve. I also have only swapped my sliders twice in 14k miles.
That pretty much sums up my experience with the Dr. Pulley. BIG difference.
Prima pipe
UNI filter
125 Main Jet
2000RPM Stall Spring
1500RPM Clutch Springs
Dr. Pulley Variator with 11 Gram Sliders
NCY Front Forks
Prima/NCY 161cc Big Bore kit With 150 Head
KS Power GY6 Performance Springs
NCY Secondary Shieve
enzomatic

Post by enzomatic »

quick question, what's the stock roller weight?
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

enzomatic wrote:quick question, what's the stock roller weight?
11.5g
350kmi

Post by 350kmi »

The question seems to be, does the stock 125cc motor have enough power to take advantage of the Dr. Pulley variator? Kaos and djelliott, how early in your list of mods did you install the Dr. Pulley set up? Is anyone out there running stock (or close to) with just the varitor changed?

I do a lot of distance riding, so if I could find a variator that would give me a little longer gearing and a bit of a boost in top speed that would be ideal. I like the reliability of the stock motor setup, so I am thinking if there is a way to adjust the transmission ratios that might be the way to go. I'm at 5300 miles and about due for rollers, so I will have the variator out anyway - a good time to consider upgrading.
djelliott

Post by djelliott »

350kmi wrote:The question seems to be, does the stock 125cc motor have enough power to take advantage of the Dr. Pulley variator? Kaos and djelliott, how early in your list of mods did you install the Dr. Pulley set up? Is anyone out there running stock (or close to) with just the varitor changed?

I do a lot of distance riding, so if I could find a variator that would give me a little longer gearing and a bit of a boost in top speed that would be ideal. I like the reliability of the stock motor setup, so I am thinking if there is a way to adjust the transmission ratios that might be the way to go. I'm at 5300 miles and about due for rollers, so I will have the variator out anyway - a good time to consider upgrading.
I just installed mine a couple of weeks ago. I'd say it's doing a heck of a job. Acceleration is robust all around and my top speed opened up considerably. In fact I haven't had a chance to max it out yet but I do hit 70 - 75 (indicated) regularly.
Prima pipe
UNI filter
125 Main Jet
2000RPM Stall Spring
1500RPM Clutch Springs
Dr. Pulley Variator with 11 Gram Sliders
NCY Front Forks
Prima/NCY 161cc Big Bore kit With 150 Head
KS Power GY6 Performance Springs
NCY Secondary Shieve
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

350kmi wrote:The question seems to be, does the stock 125cc motor have enough power to take advantage of the Dr. Pulley variator? Kaos and djelliott, how early in your list of mods did you install the Dr. Pulley set up? Is anyone out there running stock (or close to) with just the varitor changed?

The variator was one of the first mods I did. Its a nice adition to a stock bike, it gives you a bit more top end, and it gets there quite a bit quicker.