Battery Tender junior super cheap!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Becktastic

Battery Tender junior super cheap!

Post by Becktastic »

I got a thing in my email saying today only they are just twenty bucks!

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/45 ... 1430130702

Motorcycle Superstore

annnnd you can probably use the MB coupon for an extra 10% off

topic8062.html
Lift heavy eat clean!
coffeebrown

Post by coffeebrown »

Ordered mine!!!!! :D

Thanks Becktastic
"A woman is like a teabag; you never know how strong she is until she's in hot water"
Becktastic

Post by Becktastic »

coffeebrown wrote:Ordered mine!!!!! :D

Thanks Becktastic
Did it let you use the 10% off coupon too?

If I had any need for one I'd snatch it up...but my scoot never gets a day ofF, let alone a season :P
Lift heavy eat clean!
schroeder

Post by schroeder »

You can get the same thing at Harbor Freight for $6.99. Just hooked up two of them to our scooters. It is called a float charger and goes on and off as the battery needs it, automatically.
Me? I ride for the bugs!
ScooterTrash

Post by ScooterTrash »

schroeder wrote:You can get the same thing at Harbor Freight for $6.99. Just hooked up two of them to our scooters. It is called a float charger and goes on and off as the battery needs it, automatically.
Just so you know, those have a tendency to fail and destroy the battery. I use the bell model from wal-mart. It is the exact same charger as the Tender Jr. just badged and priced differently. The 12v accessory plug from Battery Tender even works :wink: . Also you don't have to wait or pay for shipping (that is if you have a Wal-Mart nearby.
itzhak37

Post by itzhak37 »

It sounds like most people hook the tender up while their scoots are in their garages. I live in a condo and have to park my Buddy across the street to a telephone poll. As such, I'd have to remove the battery to tend it.

How simple is it to remove the battery? I'd be doing it probably once a week, as my short commute doesn't do sh*t for recharging.
Lil Buddy

Post by Lil Buddy »

itzhak37 wrote: How simple is it to remove the battery?
Pretty easy.
Lift up floor mat. Remove screws (two if I remember correctly) on cover. Unscrew + and - terminal. Remove battery. Snap floor mat back in place. Keep the screws with you when you bring the battery inside.
Spinergy

Post by Spinergy »

ScooterTrash wrote: Just so you know, those have a tendency to fail and destroy the battery.
I don't trust ANY "automotive" charger to stay hooked up to a battery long term. Long term meaning more than a few days, and a day or two a month is all an unused battery needs to stay topped up. I've had $100 super smart computer controlled digital uber chargers go nuts and fry a like new battery, have also had a $20 charger do the same.

Advantage to the $7 harbor freight float charger [which I own several of] and other low power chargers is well, their low output. Even if they do go haywire and start charging full tilt when they shouldn't at .5 to .75 amp it'll take them a while to do any real damage.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

I saw a battery recharger for motorcycles this week at Kmart on sale for 20 dollars too. It was for 12V batteries, so It would work on the buddy. I forget Brand, Duracell or Duramax, cant remember which.
tekrek

Post by tekrek »

I found a battery tender at Sears last year for $14.95. They had a huge stack of them this time of year. I remember feeling guilty buying it instead of a gift for someone else(guilty pleasure). But, soon forgot the guilt as that's my troll nature. Check there, it may cost a little more this year.
"I'm your Huckleberry."