Buddy 50 shuts off- it's back up and running now, thanks!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

tekrek

Post by tekrek »

pinkbuddydude wrote:My little buddy finally runs again. Thanks for all the help guys. Here's what I did:
Step 1- cut a hole in a box (jk, SNL reference)
Step 1- siphon out old gas
Step 2- add 1/2 gallon new gas
3- add 1/2 oz Seafoam (carb cleaner)
4- start up and let idle for 5 minutes on center stand
5- slowly turn throttle up, and up, little by little (did this for a while, "put put" at first, but eventually pretty steady "vroom")
6- hit kill switch, turned air/fuel screw all the way in, backed out 2.5 turns
7- start up, let idle, then konked out
8- start back up, make air/fuel adjustment, then she konked out again
9- repeat steps 7 and 8 half dozen times until idles smooth and doesn't turn off
10- take for spin around neighborhood at 20-30mph
11- come home and smoke pipe to celebrate

It's great to have her back up and running. Thanks for all the suggestions!

My only remaining issue is while riding at 10-15mph, the engine runs very rough/rumbly, and it vibrates the whole scoot like one of those foot massage things they sell at Brookstone. But as soon as I give it more throttle its smooths out and runs great around 18mph up to 30. So it's only when accelerating or riding at low speeds that it sounds rough. Any ideas on what this could be? As I mentioned before, it only has 150 miles on it, so I'm guessing it's just "breaking in." Should I just ride through it and wait for it to eventually smooth out?
Dude! I hereby award you the "tekrek" Order of Merit for scooter maintenance above and beyond the ordinary. And, you didn't even take it to the dealer like so many on this forum would. If you keep this up you'll have to give up jockey for boxer just to get more room down there. Continue the rugged do-it-yourself maintenance. Scooting is a hobby, maintenance is a lifestyle.
"I'm your Huckleberry."
pinkbuddydude

Post by pinkbuddydude »

tekrek wrote:Dude! I hereby award you the "tekrek" Order of Merit for scooter maintenance above and beyond the ordinary. And, you didn't even take it to the dealer like so many on this forum would. If you keep this up you'll have to give up jockey for boxer just to get more room down there. Continue the rugged do-it-yourself maintenance. Scooting is a hobby, maintenance is a lifestyle.
Haha thanks. Any idea what the rumbling might be? "Break in" groans?
jmsmith802

Post by jmsmith802 »

pinkbuddydude wrote:My little buddy finally runs again. Thanks for all the help guys. Here's what I did:
Step 1- cut a hole in a box (jk, SNL reference)

Any ideas on what this could be? As I mentioned before, it only has 150 miles on it, so I'm guessing it's just "breaking in." Should I just ride through it and wait for it to eventually smooth out?
Nice step one! :lol:

As for the strong vibrations, my buddy 50 has 2,200 miles on it, and with anything below like 15mph, it vibrates pretty strongly/makes rumbling noises. Its just what it does. It might cut back a little bit after break in but I don't think its a problem. I don't do much riding at < 15mph anyways :P
pinkbuddydude

Post by pinkbuddydude »

jmsmith802 wrote: Nice step one! :lol:
haha yeah that song cracks me up everytime
jmsmith802 wrote: As for the strong vibrations, my buddy 50 has 2,200 miles on it, and with anything below like 15mph, it vibrates pretty strongly/makes rumbling noises. Its just what it does. It might cut back a little bit after break in but I don't think its a problem. I don't do much riding at < 15mph anyways :P
that is a relief! i thought it was grinding gears or something. so should i just ride through it? or is it better to just get up to speed asap and avoid the 5-15mph rumble zone?
jmsmith802

Post by jmsmith802 »

pinkbuddydude wrote:
jmsmith802 wrote: that is a relief! i thought it was grinding gears or something. so should i just ride through it? or is it better to just get up to speed asap and avoid the 5-15mph rumble zone?
If it bothers you I would just try to avoid going that speed, but I don't think it would do any damage beyond rattling you out of your seat. Someone correct me if I am wrong!