Brake Light Replacement Bulb for '06

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

lobsterman

Brake Light Replacement Bulb for '06

Post by lobsterman »

I am replacing all the bulbs on my '06 Buddy 125 with brighter bulbs.

I have ordered the headlight bulb and I'm getting Sylvania 1156STA Silverstar bulbs for the turn signals from Amazon since the local auto parts places don't stock them.

What I am not sure of is what the brake light should be. I know it's supposed to be 12V 5W/12W according to the Owner's Manual.

Has anybody replaced these with a brighter bulb on an '06?

If I somehow missed finding this tidbit in my searches, my apologies in advance.
Kevin
AYPWIP?
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

OK, I am thinking this needs to be an 1157 red bulb.

Has anybody replaced their brake light with an LED?
Kevin
AYPWIP?
kmtscoot

Post by kmtscoot »

I'm thinking of replacing my brake/tail light and front running lights (the deadlights) with LED bulbs in the spring. This will lower the current draw a little so I won't worry so much about putting in a higher wattage headlight. I worry about this because I haven't been able to find any specs on alternator output. I probably won't do the turn signals because you need a loading resistor or a solid state flasher when you do that and they're not on all the time anyway. Right now I'm looking for good (read cheap) sources for LED bulbs on-line.
Lil Buddy

Post by Lil Buddy »

kmtscoot wrote:Right now I'm looking for good (read cheap) sources for LED bulbs on-line.
Be carefull with cheap LED's. You really do get what you pay for with those bulbs. I know its tempting being that you have so many online options with a huge price difference. But I would stay clear of the cheaper end of the spectrum.
kmtscoot

Post by kmtscoot »

Good point. I'll keep that in mind.

I remember someone saying in an earlier topic that it is a good idea to use a surge protector along with LED lights. I think I'll do that too.