Who's Crashed? [Crash Reports]

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Becktastic

Post by Becktastic »

rabbitgod wrote: She does have insurance (Allstate) and she seemed pretty responsible. In all the times I've been rear ended she's the only one that started with "Are you ok?" everybody else started with "Damnit my car!"
At least she didn't leave the scene :roll: I have heard too many stories of that nature. Do you need to go to the hospital? Or did the paramedics know for sure it was just bruising and swelling? These are the kind of accidents that worry me. I do everything I can to ride safely, but sometimes there is nothing more you can do. I'm glad you are just bruised and scratched. I hope your Buddy isn't in too serious condition. Maybe you'll get some shiny new panels out of it at least?

Dammit now I want tamales, but the weather is terrible...
Lift heavy eat clean!
rabbitgod

Post by rabbitgod »

Yeah I can be thankfull she didn't take off. My insurance company called me and he said he would call her insurance company today, maybe tomorrow morning depending on their schedule.

Paramedics came and I asked them to look at my ankle. It was just a little swollen and they said that an ER visit would probably result in me sitting in the waiting room while nurses checked my temp every hour for 5 hours. But they said if it gets worse at all I should see my own doctor.

I'm still swollen and tender all over, but that should be expected.

And yeah, new panels! I'll try and order them as soon as possible that way the wait won't seem too long. My brother wants to practice on my buddy so I won't install them until after he's done :wink:

Tamales! I have one left and you can't have it! I was thinking of making some this weekend or next week. I was suppose to make some last weekend that way my visiting grandparents can bring some back home.
Rob

Post by Rob »

rabbitgod wrote:Rob-I do the flashing break thing. I do many of the tips on that site and working on getting the rest done, they also recomended it in my MSF course.
That's about all you can do. Take reasonable precautions and hope for the best. In the last 10 years I've been "tapped" a couple of times while in my SUVs waiting at lights. Virtually no damage either time, but on a scoot it would have been much worse.

We did the tamale thing, along with Italian beef, on Christmas Eve. That was a first for us, certainly not a tradition, but very tasty.

Rob
broke

Post by broke »

I'm really sorry to hear about the rear-end rabbitgod. I hope your Buddy gets fixed up as good as new.

We had Tamales for Christmas Eve lunch!!! MMMmmmm! I didn't even know it was a tradition!!!

Then we had TACO BELL for Christmas Dinner! BLEH! (We were stopped along I-5 on our spur-of-the-moment drive down to DISNEYLAND! We are here now at the Ayres Inn in Anaheim too excited to sleep before our first day in the park tomorrow... My wife and I are more excited than our boys ;-)
Scooter Hoot

Post by Scooter Hoot »

Well, it wasn't really a crash, but I'll fill it out anyways:

1. Which Buddy (50/125) was crashed? Color?
150 - St. Tropez
2. Was the crash due to rider error? What time of day did it occur?
Somewhat - afternoon
3. Could the crash have been avoided? What will you do differently next time?
Yes
4. Was the rider injured?
No
5. What was the damage to the Buddy?
Slight scratch on the underside of the engine
6. Cost of repairs, if any?
None
7. How much (weeks, months, years) riding experience does the rider have? Does the rider have a motorcycle permit, license or neither?
5 months - licensed
8. Had the rider completed the MSF course?
Yes
9. Was the rider the scooter's owner?
Yes
10. How fast was the rider going?
<15 mph
11. How far was the rider from home?
5 Miles

I was headed back from the scooter shop for my 1500 mile service, and went over an intersection that had one of those metal plate things that road construction people cover their holes with. Unfortunately, the road crew was working next to there and the plate was very wet and had some sand or something on it too. While going over it, I started skidding, and wasn't able to right it correctly - I ended up doing a full 180 in the middle of the road and was hopping my feet along the ground to keep upright. It still twisted out of my hands a bit but only barely scraped the engine on the ground. 2 very nice construction guys helped me get the thing back upright and straightened out again. I continued on my merry way with nothing more injured than my pride thank god.

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, BE CAREFUL ON THOSE METAL PLATES - THEY'RE DANGEROUS!
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

Scooter Hoot -

1. I am glad you're OK
2. Love the avatar, owls rock
3. Metal construction plates are zero traction zones when wet. I hate them, and they're always popping up unexpectedly here in Cincinnati. Often once installed they're left in place for a week or two. Sometimes there are several in a row. Only thing to do is avoid them if you can and if you can't do that take them slow and absolutely straight without brakes or acceleration. Just like ice.
Kevin
AYPWIP?
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Construction plates, manhole covers, railroad and trolley tracks, metal bridge gratings, thick plastic stop lines and crosswalks - all treacherous, especially when wet. Avoid them whenever you can. If you have to cross one - slow down, cross without turning, and don't brake! Cross railroad tracks at a right angle if possible. All these traps are out there waiting for you.
Becktastic

Post by Becktastic »

Dooglas wrote:Construction plates, manhole covers, railroad and trolley tracks, metal bridge gratings, thick plastic stop lines and crosswalks - all treacherous, especially when wet. Avoid them whenever you can. If you have to cross one - slow down, cross without turning, and don't brake! Cross railroad tracks at a right angle if possible. All these traps are out there waiting for you.
There's this one road I ride to work and I make a right turn and there's a manhole cover right after the turn in the middle of the road, so often I swerve around it into the other lane (there are two lanes each way there) but they I get all paranoid because it's a $171 ticket for turning into a lane other than the nearest and I am really sick of traffic citations. Arizona just made a new one. If your license plate frame in any way obstructs the word "Arizona" or "AZ" at the top of your plate you get a $160 ticket. Yup. So I yanked my lovely frame off just to be sure, because it touched the top of the letters just enough and the cops here are jerks.

/rant.
Lift heavy eat clean!
rabbitgod

Post by rabbitgod »

Hoot-I'm glad you're ok. That would probably be terrifying for like 2 seconds and then you get to look at all the traffic staring at you.

becktastic-I was reading that new law and from what I can tell MCs are exempt. The wording specifically says that it can't interfere with the word 'Arizona' on the plate. Since that word doesn't appear on the plate than you can't cover it up.

I'm probably going to remove mine too, just to be safe. One can argue it all day to a judge, but you still have to be there arguing with a judge. I think I'd rather use that time to scoot.
kyleedmonston

Post by kyleedmonston »

1. A buddy 50. Black.
2. It was my mistake. It was daytime, raining.
3. Maybe. I think I won't hit the brakes as hard next time.
4. Yes. Road rash, two broken legs, bad gash in the back of the head.
5. Almost none (at least the scooter's ok. :)
6. None
7. Had about 3 months. No license.
8. No.
9. Yes.
10. 45 MPH
11. 20 miles
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

1. Which Buddy (50/125) was crashed? 125
Color? Tangerine
2. Was the crash due to rider error?
No, I had someone make an illegal merge blindly into a lane I was in.
What time of day did it occur? Around 4:30PM

3. Could the crash have been avoided? Not likely, it was impossible to see for either the SUV that hit me or myself from where he merged in a no merging zone.
What will you do differently next time? Not wear my nice heated golved.
4. Was the rider injured? Not in the slightest, luckily
Broke the headlight ring(figures), cracked the headset plastic, bent a mirror, scuffed up a foot peg, a severely scuffed up pair of Dr. Marten's, and a ruined pair of heated gloves.

Don't know yet.
7. How much (weeks, months, years) riding experience does the rider have? 1 Year, 10,000+ miles, and some dirt biking before this.
Does the rider have a motorcycle permit, license or neither? Licence
8. Had the rider completed the MSF course? No
9. Was the rider the scooter's owner? Yes
10. How fast was the rider going? 40MPH
11. How far was the rider from home? 10 Miles

I had a SUV merge blindly and randomly into my lane in a spot that was both illegal, and insane to merge into. He barely tagged my front wheel causing me to loose my balance. I went over on the right side. It was quite surreal, I saw the truck tag me, and very calmly, the first thought in my head was "Crap, now I'm going to have to post in the who's crashed thread" then I hit the kill switch and fell easily into a slide on my back for about 100ft. I'm glad I know how to fall, as I had no injury whatsoever. Most of my gear is even good. I have to thank Corazzo, the jacket still looks new. The SUV never stopped....
Last edited by Kaos on Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
rabbitgod

Post by rabbitgod »

*Sigh* What a sack.

I have no problem with SUVs.

I have a major problem with dickheads in SUVs.

Glad you're ok though.
Becktastic

Post by Becktastic »

Kaos wrote:The SUV never stopped....
I am seething over this last line.

I swear if I ever see a cager swipe a rider and try to leave the scene I will track that bitch down :evil:
Lift heavy eat clean!
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Becktastic wrote:
Kaos wrote:The SUV never stopped....
I am seething over this last line.

I swear if I ever see a cager swipe a rider andn try to leave the scene I will track that bitch down :evil:
If it makes you feel better, the suv behind me both did a great job
NOT running me over, and tried to catch the guy.
Last edited by Kaos on Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
broke

Post by broke »

Kaos wrote:I'm glad I know how to fall, as I had no injury whatsoever.
WOW! At 40mph too! Where was it at? Very sorry to hear about the crash Kaos...
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

broke wrote:
Kaos wrote:I'm glad I know how to fall, as I had no injury whatsoever.
WOW! At 40mph too! Where was it at? Very sorry to hear about the crash Kaos...
I was on the curve where Terwillager Blvd meets hwy 43. The curve turns into a second lane on 43, and there is a copse of trees and shrubbery there that prevents anyone from seeing into that lane from 43. There is about 200ft of solid white do not change lanes line in the middle before both lanes are fair game. This SUV merged in at about ft 2 or 3 basically in the smallest spot possible.

EDIT:

So after wondering how I got the TOE of my right doc marten's ground up a bit when I was sliding on my back, my knee started to ache a bit. Seems I hyperextended it a bit. Luckily that ankle goes 3/4 of the way around already due to an old capture-the-flag injury so my knee didn't have to do much of a turn for my foot to be in that position
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Gosh Kaos, glad your injuries were fairly minor. That is a nasty spot in Lake Oswego alright. Add on new snow that morning and sand/fine gravel all over from the previous snow/ice storms - more challenges than usual out there right now.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Dooglas wrote:Gosh Kaos, glad your injuries were fairly minor. That is a nasty spot in Lake Oswego alright. Add on new snow that morning and sand/fine gravel all over from the previous snow/ice storms - more challenges than usual out there right now.
Yeah, its not the first close call I've had there, and probably won't be the last. I pass through that spot every day to and from work.
I went out to Vespa Portland to get new body panels, and ended up with only 54 dollars in damage. And they had the elusive headlight ring in stock. They also sold me a used floorboard panel for $5 that had nothing wrong with it, saving me $30(that was the most expensive part)
broke

Post by broke »

This is really freaking me out man... I'm beginning to realize just how eminent a crash is. I mean if someone can clip Kaos and take him down, what hope does a timid scooterist like myself have?!?!?

I love my scooter, but I love my kids more!
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

broke wrote:This is really freaking me out man... I'm beginning to realize just how eminent a crash is. I mean if someone can clip Kaos and take him down, what hope does a timid scooterist like myself have?!?!?

ATGATT, ATGATT, ATGATT! I came out of a fairly high speed crash with basically no injuries because of my gear.

It freaked out my wife a bit, but at the end of the day, I'm still gonna scoot. The upsides beat the downsides.
Becktastic

Post by Becktastic »

broke wrote:This is really freaking me out man... I'm beginning to realize just how eminent a crash is. I mean if someone can clip Kaos and take him down, what hope does a timid scooterist like myself have?!?!?

Have you never had even a small spill?

For me, laying down the bike was actually somewhat comforting. I realized that I could slide several yards on my side at about 30 mph and get right back up and on the bike immediately. It wasn't the end of the world. It happened too fast to even really be scary. I was totally geared up except for armored pants, so I suffered a badly bruised and skinned knee. But now I wear knee pads and I feel rather invincible 8)

Ride smart, gear up and you'll be fine!
Lift heavy eat clean!
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Becktastic wrote:

Have you never had even a small spill?

For me, laying down the bike was actually somewhat comforting. I realized that I could slide several yards on my side at about 30 mph and get right back up and on the bike immediately. It wasn't the end of the world. It happened too fast to even really be scary. I was totally geared up except for armored pants, so I suffered a badly bruised and skinned knee. But now I wear knee pads and I feel rather invincible 8)

Ride smart, gear up and you'll be fine!
Yeah, it was almost kinda liberating. This was my first crash of any sort, and it was kinda comforting to know that I could go for a slide without messing myself up.
Becktastic

Post by Becktastic »

Kaos wrote:Yeah, it was almost kinda liberating. This was my first crash of any sort, and it was kinda comforting to know that I could go for a slide without messing myself up.
My mother and father tried so hard to make me fear motorcycles, I had this idea that if you wrecked one, it would immediately explode and render you brain dead :P In reality, most of our crash report showed only bruises and scrapes.
Lift heavy eat clean!
myras_girls

Post by myras_girls »

Kaos wrote: Yeah, it was almost kinda liberating. This was my first crash of any sort, and it was kinda comforting to know that I could go for a slide without messing myself up.
I haven't crashed (yet) but I did manage to snap my finger completely in half, which required 2 surgeries, when walking the dog. And my finacee broke his ankle requiring 2 surgeries falling through a trap door backstage.

If I've learned anything from life it's that people get injured. At least riding my scoot I'm geared up. I don't wear gear for all the regular day to day activities that people get hurt doing all the time.
<a href="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/killerbee ... b/">Killer Bees Scooter Club</a> Fort Collins, CO
jayfmyers

Re: Who's Crashed?

Post by jayfmyers »

ericalm wrote:
7. How much (weeks, months, years) riding experience does the rider have? Does the rider have a motorcycle permit, license or neither?
1. 150 Italia
2. Yes. Early evening, about an hour before sundown.
3. Yes. I tried to make too sudden of an adjustment mid-turn.
4. Just a scraped knee.
5. Not sure yet. Minor scratches and front wheel alignment.
6. None yet. I haven't taken it in. I will update when I do.
7. Only 2 months experience. Licensed.
8. Yes
9. Yes
10. Around 15 to 20 mph
11. About 15 miles, luckily it was still ridable.
BeachBuzz

Post by BeachBuzz »

1. Which Buddy (50/125) was crashed?
'06 Orange Blur
2. Was the crash due to rider error?
arent they all? I had the help of black ice
3. Could the crash have been avoided?
absolutely
What will you do differently next time? be more aware, avoid black ice
4. Was the rider injured? bruised knee
5. What was the damage to the Blur? scuffs
6. Cost of repairs, if any?N/A
7. How much (weeks, months, years) riding experience does the rider have? 3+yrs, 15K+ miles
Does the rider have a motorcycle permit, license or neither? Licence
8. Had the rider completed the MSF course? yes
9. Was the rider the scooter's owner? Yes
10. How fast was the rider going? 5-10MPH
11. How far was the rider from home? 1 Miles

I was exiting from a gas station at an intersection where there is a standing puddle whenever there is any rain. It had rained the night before and the o'night temp had dipped below freezing. Temp when I left the house at 6:45am was upper 30's so I wasnt expecting ice. As I approached the puddle I could see it was still frozen over so I went to the far end & slowly crossed the smaller end of the ice, about a scoot length, keeping my feet down and the scoot straight and upright. As I cleared the ice I gently rolled on the throttle, adjusted my angle to get pointed in the right direction. As soon as my feet hit the floor board the rear wheel spun out from under me, dumped me on my right knee & hand and the scoot slid about 5' untill it stopped at the end of the patch of black ice. I picked up the scoot, still running, pushed it to the shoulder to take account of any damage to it or myself. Noticed a scuff at the front of the floor board, on the exhaust pipe shield and the cooling fan cover, and a minor scratch on the grab bar & a small abrasion on the knee of my pants. Luclkily there were no cars directly behind me and the scoot slid straight in my lane, there were oncoming cars. The whole episode lasted about 30 seconds from when I hit the ground until I was back on and rolling.
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

Man, sorry to read about all the crashes, folks! I'm glad everyone is ok.
Road rash, two broken legs, bad gash in the back of the head.
Holy crap! That seems very nonchalant! How are you doing? Were you wearing a helmet? :shock:
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

I'm really not being judgmental, but I do so enjoy irony

Dude...you have a death skull mounted on your scooter :wtf:
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Crashes aren't inevitable. The point of this thread isn't so much to scare people out of riding, though some may realize that scootering isn't for everyone. If anything, my hope is that members take two things away from this:

1. Most crashes are due to rider error and could be avoided, but avoidance starts long before you get on your scooter. It begins with training, experience, knowledge, patience and good judgment—all the things you need when riding right up to that moment when you either crash or manage not to.

2. That said, some crashes are completely unavoidable. All you can do at that point is rely on your gear, luck, and surrender to physics.

But it's kind of like art: people will interpret it through their own lenses and come up with different meanings and conclusions.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

ericalm wrote:

Crashes aren't inevitable. The point of this thread isn't so much to scare people out of riding, though some may realize that scootering isn't for everyone. If anything, my hope is that members take two things away from this:

1. Most crashes are due to rider error and could be avoided, but avoidance starts long before you get on your scooter. It begins with training, experience, knowledge, patience and good judgment&#8212;all the things you need when riding right up to that moment when you either crash or manage not to.

2. That said, some crashes are completely unavoidable. All you can do at that point is rely on your gear, luck, and surrender to physics.

But it's kind of like art: people will interpret it through their own lenses and come up with different meanings and conclusions.
And I'll point out that thanks to good gear, and staying calm when I crashed, I came out of a fairly high speed crash without any injury.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

+1 to a calm and focused mind and gear, gear, gear!

I still test myself every time I ride. I don't listen to music or offer any other distractions to myself when I ride. My accident reaffirmed that those were the right choices (and this is the key component) for me. Everyone has their limits and thresholds. For me, riding is a completely calm focused state of mind. I ride defensively and fast. I avoid unsafe conditions such as weather or road salting after snow. I know my routes when I'm pushing the leans, and never ride hard in unfamiliar territory. I'm a firm believer in ATGATT. So much so that I bought a new higher flowing mesh jacket for the summer time.

I've actually grounded myself lately because the temps are low (34 degree highs) and my gloves don't cut the mustard, meaning that my fingers go numb and I don't think I can move them fast enough if I need to. I'm ordering new Rev'it Gloves to take over the winter riding duties to and from work because not riding is driving me nuts. I have no time to my thoughts, no time to just focus on what's around me.

This thread is a great way to turn a positive from a negative. Learning from your mistakes is a very healthy thing. Learning from other peoples' mistakes is free and painless. I don't want to belittle those that have made mistakes, that's the human condition. But if you're prepared, if you consider something you hadn't previously and prepare your mind to react to it, you're that much better off for when that very circumstance might happen. This thread is a great tool. Even the posts that don't have any inkling of rider error, you can gleam little bits of wisdom such as what the gear did for them.

I hate hearing that others have fallen, but I love learning something and applying it to my riding. I know it's dangerous and it's rent with risks, but the pros outweigh the cons any way of the week (except cold rainy days when I have crappy gloves). I'll keep riding. I'll keep cage dodging!
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
ageekgirl

Post by ageekgirl »

Let me say +1 to ericalm, kaos, and lostmycage's comments. I like to use this thread and some other forums similar threads as ways to learn.

I was a bit freaked out when I first started reading threads about crashes. It really was a sobering thing to read about people and rides messed up from a wreck. But with the way this thread is set up to make it an evaluative rather than a reactive one, it made me realize that I have to be there mentally before I set foot in the garage to gear up and get on the scooter to ride. So I use it and others like it to see where I may need to improve my situational awareness, my skills, or my gear.

I was riding to work last week and it was 28F when I left the chiropractor's office. I took a different route than I normally take and ended up finding a bit of ice crossing the road. Because I was paying attention, I was able to evaluate the situation, and make sure I was a in a position to ride over the small patch of ice with no mishaps. Given that I'm still a fairly new rider, I would have chosen a route that didn't include ice at all if I could have done so. But I didn't freak out and stayed calm and responsive to what was going on in the road. So there was no spill, and I made it to work ok. But I wouldn't have if I didn't read these threads and realize that I have to have my head in the ride first.
jonbolden

Post by jonbolden »

I had my first accident last night.

Copied from my blog post about it:

I headed for an intersection not realizing it was a one-way street. I immediately turned too sharply and slammed on both brakes. It dumped the scooter on it’s side. The backend was sitting on top of my leg. Twas crazy!

The worst part was that I just sat on the ground for 10 seconds and did nothing. The bike was still running and it slowly died. I assume gas wasn’t getting to the engine being tipped on the side. It must have messed up the engine for a second because it took a few minutes before I could restart the engine.

I eventually came to my senses, picked the bike up, and walked to the sidewalk. A cute college girl asked me if I was ok. Of course my helmet shield was still down and she couldn’t hear anything I replied. I remained too frazzled to think to put it up to speak.

Good news is that I had my first experience like that with not even a scratch on me or the Buddy. I need to practice stopping quickly and brush up on my reaction skills.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

jonbolden, I'm sorry to hear about your downing.

Look up the MSF Scooter book and practice the maneuvers in a parking lot. I suggest this to anyone on two wheels.

Honestly, I think it saved my wife and I from much worse injuries only because I practiced on each of my scooters when they were new to me. I can't stress it enough that the rider should know how the bike will react. A "controlled" environment like a parking lot is the perfect place to try these maneuvers out. Test your braking in both a straight line and in a turn (ramp up to it, don't just hard brake into a slide your first time practicing - braking in a turn is never a good thing, it's when the wheels have the least firm contact with the road). Experience comes in both time behind the bars just riding, but also from testing how the bike handles in quick reaction time situations.

Added bonus: It's fun as hell. Just make sure that you're aware of any sand or loose gravel in the parking lot that you're practicing in.

Heck, I still go to a vacant parking lot and just screw around with the MSF maneuvers.... they're friggin fun to do!
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

jonbolden wrote:I had my first accident last night.
Sorry to hear about it, but glad you and your scooter are okay. Having a crash like this and walking away unscathed is certainly an eye-opener.

If you don't mind, could you reply to the questions in the first post here? We actually compile the information in these reports.

Thanks.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Lostmycage wrote:Look up the MSF Scooter book and practice the maneuvers in a parking lot. I suggest this to anyone on two wheels.
Here's a link to the pamphlet (PDF) for anyone who doesn't have it:
http://www.msf-usa.org/downloads/Scoote ... screen.pdf
jonbolden

Post by jonbolden »

Black 125

Rider error. Wrong way down one way street. Around 11:15 PM

Absolutely. Not overreact and straighten out before braking. Or turning without braking. It was basically a panic.

No. Hand hurt for a few minutes. I hadn't put my gloves on yet. I realized it moments before the accident.

Just some minor scrapes on the right bottom side.

none

Had my bike since Dec 30th. I have my license.

Yes, in November.

Yes

About 5 mph

About 5 miles away
broke

Post by broke »

jonbolden wrote:I had my first accident last night.
Sorry to hear about it jonbolden. I think your shock and disorientation immediately after the crash may have been more about not wanting to post in this thread than the actual incident :wink:

But I'm very glad to hear that it was minor for you and your Buddy! Shake it off. What doesn't kill us makes us stronger! (and more cautious... and more aware... and more experienced...)
Want and need divide me. Mekka-lekka hi mekka hiney ho!
broke

Post by broke »

BuddyRaton wrote:

I'm really not being judgmental, but I do so enjoy irony

Dude...you have a death skull mounted on your scooter :wtf:
nah... that was just for the photo... and I've come to grips with my fear. It was a fleeting thing 8)
Want and need divide me. Mekka-lekka hi mekka hiney ho!
ben

Post by ben »

1. Which Buddy (50/125) was crashed? Color? St. Tropez 150
2. Was the crash due to rider error? What time of day did it occur? No. 5pm
3. Could the crash have been avoided? What will you do differently next time? no
4. Was the rider injured? yes
5. What was the damage to the Buddy? still drivable but unfixable due to frame damage
6. Cost of repairs, if any? replaceme entire scoot
7. How much (weeks, months, years) riding experience does the rider have? Does the rider have a motorcycle permit, license or neither? 5month experience, has motorcycle license
8. Had the rider completed the MSF course? yes
9. Was the rider the scooter's owner? yes
10. How fast was the rider going? 35-40mph
11. How far was the rider from home? 1 or 2 miles
[/b]
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

glad you are ok....at least enough to post.
WHat are the details of the incident, we like to know, esp since the scientist in me is always interested in the sometimes subjective "rider error" area of the questions :twisted:
sunbeamlaserbeam

Post by sunbeamlaserbeam »

This photo is why I won't wear anything but my boots when I ride anymore - my foot would have been totally effed up if I'd been wearing my sneakers... And I see folks all the time in flip flops, which I've def been guilty of, but not anymore.

Does anyone have video of their wreck? Mine happened on the property of the Frist art center here in Nashville, so there's security video (which I haven't seen yet). We were headed there on a work outing so my co-workers were there and took pictures of the aftermath (embarrassing!). I have maybe the most well-documented wreck ever...
Attachments
Always wear boots!
Always wear boots!
n38403424_35174844_4187.jpg (49.87 KiB) Viewed 1861 times
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I kind of wish I had video of my crash. I'm pretty sure all the witnesses thought I was a goner.
UnionZac

Post by UnionZac »

I haven't wrecked yet (knock on wood), how ever my scooter was crashed by a friend I let try it out (first and last friend who will have that opportunity) and scuffed up the front ferring and fender which cost them about $100 to replace. Fortunately I hadn't replaced those parts yet, because yesterday my scooter allegedly got blown over by the wind while I was at work and the front left brake broke. Since I park in front of a ER i'm hoping there will be video. Fortunately I was able to get it fixed promptly to the tune of $28, and there were only some minor scatches on the silver light ring, and handlebar cover.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

UnionZac wrote:I haven't wrecked yet (knock on wood), how ever my scooter was crashed by a friend I let try it out (first and last friend who will have that opportunity) and scuffed up the front ferring and fender which cost them about $100 to replace. Fortunately I hadn't replaced those parts yet, because yesterday my scooter allegedly got blown over by the wind while I was at work and the front left brake broke. Since I park in front of a ER i'm hoping there will be video. Fortunately I was able to get it fixed promptly to the tune of $28, and there were only some minor scatches on the silver light ring, and handlebar cover.
4 out of 5 people who've posted the words "…a friend I let try it out…" on this site have done so to say that the friend crashed their scoot. Okay, that may not be precisely true, but yeah, friends do crash 'em. Frequently.

A rider on a group ride last year was letting people test out his Vespa GTS. Almost all who took him up on it ride much lower-CC Asian scooters. I thought the owner was nuts. I've always declined offers to try someone's scooter for fear of a really embarrassing freak accident of some sort.
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

I eventually came to my senses, picked the bike up, and walked to the sidewalk. A cute college girl asked me if I was ok. Of course my helmet shield was still down and she couldn’t hear anything I replied. I remained too frazzled to think to put it up to speak.
You must have been frazzled. Gotta take advanatage of cute college girls asking if you're ok! :wink:
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
MaxPotter

Post by MaxPotter »

1. 125. red.
2 yes. 8:30 a.m.
3 yes. check street conditions more carefully
4. minor bumps and bruises
5. minor scrapes & scratches
6. $2.87 for a new turn signal bulb
7. 10 months. yes.
8. yes
9. yes
10. 15 mph
11. 1 block
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Sorry you crashed. Glad to hear you're okay, though.
MrMango

More crash data

Post by MrMango »

Tangerine 125
Car ran a red light, I braked hard on several sets of intersecting light rail tracks and went down on the right side.
It was about 8:30 am
Maybe. I will not brake so hard and look for alternative routes. Most importantly, I won't be quite so eager to be right out the gate on the green and make sure no one is running a yellow/red.
banged up my knee, a little bruise and some swelling for a day but nothing major.
scrapes to mirror, headlamp housing, and side near foot rest.
Haven't bothered
About 5 months experience at the time.
Licensed
Yes
Yes
Maybe 20 mph
1 mile

Infuriating - driver pretended to be completing his turn to get out of traffic, and then bailed. Never got the plate. :evil:
louie

Post by louie »

that sucks mr mango. i lived near a highway that regularly had simis doing just that at 60 mph...so dangarous.