150cc engine for $350??

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

PasadenaSue

150cc engine for $350??

Post by PasadenaSue »

I just looked through the latest SCOOTERworks flyer and they are selling a 150cc GY6 engine for ~$350. I love my 125cc Buddy but a 150cc would make this thing freeway legal in CA. First, $350 seems cheap for a new engine so replacing mine would be worth considering. I'm guessing that there's not a lot to replacing the 125 with a 150 but I could be wrong.

So, is it worth considering replacing my engine for the extra 50ccs? I haven't seen any aftermarket cylinder replacements for the 125.

Comments? Concerns?

Thanks -

PasadenaSue
kazoo

Post by kazoo »

Are you concerned with making it a legitimate freeway legal scoot or are you just interested in making it quicker? Cause to make it legit I would think you would be facing a lot of documentation that would require lots of patience if for nothing else.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Well, here's the pitfall. That motor I'm fairly sure, is not a PGO. I think that's marketed towards the China scoots out there. I have no idea what the quality is on them. I'm not trying to downplay Scooterworks, but this might be the wrong way to accomplish what you're trying to do.

I'll say this, though. I have two 150cc scooters, the Buddy and the Blur. I wouldn't take either on the local highways (65mph). Partly because the road conditions are horrible, but mainly because I don't currently have the ability to out accelerate at 65mph+ to get away from the cell phone toting nutcases that are out there. just my $.02 but I don't think that's worth it. If you're intent on going on the highway, make sure you can punch it from 65mph to 80 mph quickly because I'm sure that occasion will arise. It's dangerous enough on 4 wheels, non need to risk that on 2 with an untested 150cc engine.

Now, if you take one of those 150cc engines, add a 30mm carb higher gearing and an exhaust (so that you can reach the above mentioned 85 mph+ quickly) then go for it, but the Buddy's 10" wheels are far too small to deal with any of the nasty surprises that arise on the highways.

You've got to take in the whole picture when you're looking at something like that.

Even avoiding the highways I still make it to work faster taking the back-roads because the morning congestion is so much less.

It's my opinion, so do what you will, but I hope that lends a little perspective to it.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Hi, Sue,

I'm not sure you'd be getting much more, performance-wise, out of that 150cc GY6. You'd technically be freeway legal, but as has been noted, that's probably still not safe or practical for most freeway riding. (Isn't that what your motorcycle's for?) I won't take my 190cc Vespa out on the freeway because it's not powerful or large enough.

Have you gotten a labor estimate? I imagine that could run as high as $300 on top of the $350.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
kazoo

Post by kazoo »

So, to the above replies are you saying that all you have to do is put in a larger engine and thats that?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

kazoo wrote:So, to the above replies are you saying that all you have to do is put in a larger engine and thats that?
Not sure, but I have a feeling it's not quite that simple. Everything going in and coming out has to match up. The PGO engine isn't a generic GY6 like most of those on Chinese scoots.

That said, I've heard of some pretty unusual engine swaps (Piaggio 50cc in a Zuma!) so it's not impossible…
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

It wont fit, wont work with the buddy. 25cc more isnt worth 350 dollars when it'll only give you 3-5mph more on the top end which you'll never use.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

ericalm wrote:
kazoo wrote:So, to the above replies are you saying that all you have to do is put in a larger engine and thats that?
Not sure, but I have a feeling it's not quite that simple. Everything going in and coming out has to match up. The PGO engine isn't a generic GY6 like most of those on Chinese scoots.

That said, I've heard of some pretty unusual engine swaps (Piaggio 50cc in a Zuma!) so it's not impossible…
While the PGO GY6 is a fairly odd beast, the mounting bracket holes are GY6 standard. So at least as far as mounting to the frame, you COULD just drop any old GY6 in there, though likely other things may not line up.

Now I doubt you would like it, as the build quality of PGO's GY6 is phenominal, and you don't really know what you're getting with a generic GY6. Also the PGO GY6 has some differences that make it a REAL performer(The stock long stroke crank for example). My 125 can run circles around more generic 150cc GY6 based China scoots.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

I checked my email and looked at the flyer they sent me, didnt see anything about a 150cc engine, I searched their site, but the only full complete engines I find are 2 strokes for small frame vespas and LML made engines for large frames.

Still though, putting a 150cc chinese gy6 will actually make the buddy slower than the 125cc currently in the bike. Like Kaos said, the engines PGO make are outstanding quality, even if the engine did fit perfectly, 350 dollars isnt worth it.

On my previous post I thought it was a 150cc engine from PGO themselves, like the ones used on the buddy 150, but it sounds more like you're talking about a generic Chinese engine that every china bike uses just about.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

jfrost2 wrote:On my previous post I thought it was a 150cc engine from PGO themselves, like the ones used on the buddy 150, but it sounds more like you're talking about a generic Chinese engine that every china bike uses just about.
You'll likely not see this come around. A little secret: The Buddy 150 engine is the Blur engine with a slightly different head ;)
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

True, these are modified engines they place into the buddy 150's, but I was thinking maybe they were selling the modified engines themselves separate, I've known about this for a while now, actually relates back to the guy living in Taiwan saying he could get 190cc kits for the buddy 150's, but after research he told everyone our 150 engine isnt the same, so the kit wouldnt fit. And then there's PGO's website showing a list of every engine model they make, the c5 engine on the 150's isnt listed as a engine, probably since it's a special made engine just for the US market, seeing how the "Euro 3 internationals" in europe and taiwan only have 125cc engines.
jeremymiller

Post by jeremymiller »

I'd stay away from it. You'd be throwing away the reliability of your scoot and also, it wouldn't be a buddy anymore! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Keys

Post by Keys »

jfrost2 wrote:It wont fit, wont work with the buddy. 25cc more isnt worth 350 dollars when it'll only give you 3-5mph more on the top end which you'll never use.
Never use??? Maybe YOU'D never use it, but I use every mph my scooter can deliver!!

--Keys 8)
"Life without music would Bb"
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Hey Jfrost2,

Since you're so good at finding all this info from PGO and the like, see if you can find the part number and a source to get the EMS Throttlebody and sensor for the 200cc or 150cc G-Max. While you're at it, can you find the same for the 4valve 150cc head for the G-Max.

I can't find this anywhere.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Lostmycage wrote:Hey Jfrost2,

Since you're so good at finding all this info from PGO and the like, see if you can find the part number and a source to get the EMS Throttlebody and sensor for the 200cc or 150cc G-Max. While you're at it, can you find the same for the 4valve 150cc head for the G-Max.

topic9441.html
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

All:

The links in the thread that Eric just cited are somewhat erratic (at least for me). Sometimes they'll take you exactly where you want to go, sometimes they'll result in an incomplete page, and sometimes you'll get to a login page where you can simply click "Guest". You may need to do some noodling around to get to your ultimate destination.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Keys wrote:
jfrost2 wrote:It wont fit, wont work with the buddy. 25cc more isnt worth 350 dollars when it'll only give you 3-5mph more on the top end which you'll never use.
Never use??? Maybe YOU'D never use it, but I use every mph my scooter can deliver!!

--Keys 8)
Yeah, but in all likelihood its actually slower than the PGO 125. Plus the PGO 125 can be made to do 85+. Trust me, that gets scary on 10" wheels.
PasadenaSue

Post by PasadenaSue »

Wow, thanks for all the great responses. Actually I would pay $350 to make the scoot freeway legal since that would cost less than selling my Buddy and buying a 150 Buddy (sales tax, DMV fees, etc.). That said, I wouldn't trade the quality of my Buddy engine for a lesser quality one.

Now, could I possibly swap out a blur engine on my Buddy?

Thanks -

PasadenaSue
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

PasadenaSue wrote:Wow, thanks for all the great responses. Actually I would pay $350 to make the scoot freeway legal since that would cost less than selling my Buddy and buying a 150 Buddy (sales tax, DMV fees, etc.). That said, I wouldn't trade the quality of my Buddy engine for a lesser quality one.

Now, could I possibly swap out a blur engine on my Buddy?

Thanks -

PasadenaSue
Yes, you absolutely could. The trick would be mounting the oil cooler, since the 125 doesn't have a mounting bracket.
There was even a post a while back where someone had stuffed a Buddy 150 motor into the 125 frame.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

As ericalm pointed out, the cost of changing out the Buddy engine is not $350 (or whatever you pay for the replacement engine). It is the cost of the engine plus the labor to do the swap. If you are talking about a new Buddy 150 engine, I imagine the price of parts and labor is well over $1000. You quickly get to the point that the most cost effective way to achieve your objective is to sell your 125 and buy a Blur or Buddy 150. Especially if you bought used, then sold your 125 in the spring after prices come up, the cost difference is likely to be well less than the cost of the swap out. Even buying new (with a warranty) the cost difference isn't all that bad. Going this route also immediately solves the problem of California documentation. (now if somebody gave you a good engine out of a wrecked scoot.......)
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

ericalm wrote:
Lostmycage wrote:Hey Jfrost2,

topic9441.html
I've been digging around that site for a while now. The trick is getting the parts here.
olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

Sue. The build quality of most Chinese GY6 engines is not good. My Chinese 150 was about 10 mph slower than my 150 Buddy. The 125 Buddy will keep up with the 150. NO cops are smart enough to check your engine size. Buy a 150 sticker to replace the 125 in case you ever get pulled over.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

olhogrider wrote:Sue. The build quality of most Chinese GY6 engines is not good. My Chinese 150 was about 10 mph slower than my 150 Buddy. The 125 Buddy will keep up with the 150. NO cops are smart enough to check your engine size. Buy a 150 sticker to replace the 125 in case you ever get pulled over.
Or just take the 125 sticker off and leave it badgeless.... Then the officer has to ask.