Pasadena Doo Dah Parade: Sunday, January 18

Info on scooter gatherings of all types & sizes

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Mike @ NoHo Scooters
Dealer

Post by Mike @ NoHo Scooters »

The Pasadena Doo Dah Parade is on Sunday January 18th. We used to have a group of scooters in the parade back in the days of the Hollywood Rat Pack SC. This year we are bringing back the tradition. We will meet at 10 AM at Raymond and Walnut in old town Pasadena. Decorating your scooter and wearing costumes is encouraged, but not required. The parade starts at 11:30, but we need to line up as a group before it starts. Cost to enter is $10 per person, which goes to the non profit Light Bringer Project. We will go to lunch after the parade and then take a ride around the area. For more info about the parade go to http://www.pasadenadoodahparade.info
Mike Frankovich
NoHo Scooters
North Hollywood, CA
www.nohoscooters.com

Named "Best Scooter Shop" by Los Angeles Magazine in their 2009 Best Of LA issue!

www.twitter.com/nohoscooters
www.facebook.com/nohoscooters
www.youtube.com/nohomike
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I've scheduled a Meetup to ride to Pasadena for anyone wanting to ride out together from LA-area.

Meet at 8:30 in Griffith Park at the Trails Cafe. Enter on Fern Dell (off Los Feliz right before it turns into Western; where the bear statue is). Proceed into park; the cafe will be on your left.

Ride out at 9 sharp!
Details and discussion here:
http://scooter.meetup.com/285/calendar/9432016/
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Tricia

Post by Tricia »

For some reason, Zac is compelled to dress up as a bear and go to this. We will probably go, and bring his Mom and Joe, too.
Ventura County Scooter Club
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

I'm in!!!! Man what fun!

Submit your group costume ideas!! Let's see what we can come up with.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:I'm in!!!! Man what fun!

Submit your group costume ideas!! Let's see what we can come up with.
Are you going to ride up from Griffith Park with us? If so, be sure to introduce yourself!

I'm trying to figure something out, but I think that some kind of scooter-related theme might be best so that it won't be weird if some of us embrace it and others don't. I haven't done any kind of costume in about 10 years, but may figure out something and decorate the scoot.

There's some chatter about it on the comment space for the meetup, so if we have ideas I'll toss 'em up there and here as well.

I do have a really cheap, never-worn half helmet in the garage I'm willing to modify somehow.

At the very least, I'll make up some Dooh Dah 2009 Scooter Patrol buttons to give everyone who rides with us.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Yes. Griffith Park is a great halfway point from my place to Pasadena. Absolutely I will introduce myself. I look forward to meeting everyone.

I had one thought for a simple group costume idea (scooter theme) that would help us all to appear as a united group, but at the same time allow each individual to do something personal to the level that they are comfortable with...

(drum roll please...)

each person could make a simple flag - nothing fancy just white material, standard 24" x 36' size or thereabouts (maybe decorate it as you wish), and some sort of pole to fly it from the rear of their scooter - and on the flag write their MPG (85mpg, 72mpg, whatever) - kind of create a "scooters are cool and get great gas milage too" theme. Each person could then also dress in whatever personal "flair" that they would like to as well. Whatever floats their boat. Kind of a big group of individuals united under a common flag... very scooterish.

We may not win any awards but at least we will look like we all came together...

Feel free to shoot this down, or add to it, modify it, or whatever. I'm just getting the ball rolling. If it turns out everyone likes this, I can create a simple template for the flag so we will all create something that looks kind of similar.

Of course, if the MPG idea is too tame, we could always fly "Free Tibet" flags... :)

Or check out www.Farewell43.com . I know the owner and if you wanted to do something more "current events political" (which could also reflect each individuals personal political leanings), and do a Farewell43 theme, he would love it. I could get stickers for everyone and maybe a few t-shirts.
cadillaczac

Post by cadillaczac »

So I convinced my mom to be in. She may bring out her old Elvis costume or surprise us all with somthing new. I decided maybe either on a skeleton or something similar, the bear costume is a bit time consuming and I don't have alot of time to make it (we love Halloween and costumes). Tricia and I will be riding out from Ventura and meeting up with my mom (and possibly stepdad) in Simi Valley. From there we will venture across the valley and meet up with the rest of everyone. Is anybody going to ride out from NoHo? If not I will get directions and meet up with everyone later. We are so excited we can hardly wait.
P.S. I love the flag idea, but also love the farwell 43 idea as well. Decisions, Decisions.
Attachments
halloween, drag races and fat cat 009.JPG
halloween, drag races and fat cat 009.JPG (130.75 KiB) Viewed 2079 times
Ventures Scooter Crew
Ventura County
www.camarollersscooterclub.blogspot.com
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I'll be riding from NoHo to Griffith Park and going from there, but I'll probably be going out fairly early (7:30 or so). You're welcome to come along if you like!

We may have a midway meetup on the way to Pasadena so a few others can join as well.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Judging by the lack of responses, I assume no one here is interested in coordinating some kind of a group-themed costume thingy?

How many people are actually going to ride in costume?

How many are not?
cadillaczac

Post by cadillaczac »

We will be riding in costume. I came up with a new idea while bored at work. I am going to be a rodeo clown and make my scooter into a bull. Tricia is thinking of a Luchador wrestler or superhero. My moms Elvis costume is still on and my sister is considering riding my stepdads scooter (as she has only a motorcycle) and also will be dressing up, we just don't know as what. We will probably be leaving Simi Valley around 8 A.M., probably meeting up with everyone at the parade route.
One thing I am unclear about after looking at the Doo Dah parade website, do we need to fill out an entry form or just come with the ten dollars? I am assuming since this is a group thing the entry form has already been taken care of.
Ventures Scooter Crew
Ventura County
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:Judging by the lack of responses, I assume no one here is interested in coordinating some kind of a group-themed costume thingy?

How many people are actually going to ride in costume?

How many are not?
My issue is time. I'm hoping to have something together—maybe to decorate the scooter more than a costume—but it'll probably come together last-minute. I don't want to commit to a group thing in case I wind up with no time to do anything!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

cadillaczac wrote: One thing I am unclear about after looking at the Doo Dah parade website, do we need to fill out an entry form or just come with the ten dollars? I am assuming since this is a group thing the entry form has already been taken care of.
I'm pretty sure Mike's taken care of the paperwork.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

So glad others are into at least dressing up if not the whole group costume thing (maybe next year for the group thing...)
cadillaczac wrote:I came up with a new idea while bored at work. I am going to be a rodeo clown and make my scooter into a bull.
This I cant wait to see :)
cadillaczac wrote:Tricia is thinking of a Luchador wrestler or superhero...
I was considering a superhero idea too since I wear goggles when I ride... so Tricia... I think a Luchador wrestler sounds like a great idea for you! :wink:
ericalm wrote:My issue is time...
I hear ya Eric. I love to come up with the ideas but what I need is a production staff to help make them happen! I am going to be scrambling here too.

Questions... for our costumes, are we still legally required to wear helmets? Or can we not wear them since we are in a parade?

Is anyone riding all the way to the parade in costume? Or do we bring our stuff with us and then have a staging area where we get dressed etc. once we are there.

Are many of the folks from the Meet Up group dressing up too?

I love a parade...
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:
ericalm wrote:My issue is time...
I hear ya Eric. I love to come up with the ideas but what I need is a production staff to help make them happen! I am going to be scrambling here too.

Questions... for our costumes, are we still legally required to wear helmets? Or can we not wear them since we are in a parade?

Is anyone riding all the way to the parade in costume? Or do we bring our stuff with us and then have a staging area where we get dressed etc. once we are there.

Are many of the folks from the Meet Up group dressing up too?

I love a parade...
I am pretty sure we still need to wear helmets. State helmet law has no parade exemption!

There will be time to get ready at the staging area, but I don't know how much. So I guess it depends on the complexity of your costume.

The topic was mentioned on the Meetup Group, but not much was said about it. I'll send out an email now fishing to responses.
jaded

Post by jaded »

ericalm wrote: I am pretty sure we still need to wear helmets. State helmet law has no parade exemption!
Um, I think it might.
Our scooter club rides with Dykes on Bikes in the Pride Parade and we don't wear helmets. There's even a gear truck to hold everyone's helmet during the parade.
It does feel very strange riding without a helmet, even if it is less than five miles per hour.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

jaded wrote:
ericalm wrote: I am pretty sure we still need to wear helmets. State helmet law has no parade exemption!
Um, I think it might.
Our scooter club rides with Dykes on Bikes in the Pride Parade and we don't wear helmets. There's even a gear truck to hold everyone's helmet during the parade.
It does feel very strange riding without a helmet, even if it is less than five miles per hour.

Anyone know how we would go about verifying if this is also the law in Pasedena?

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:
jaded wrote:
Um, I think it might.

Anyone know how we would go about verifying if this is also the law in Pasedena?
It's a state law. Here's the state code; there's no exemption:
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc27803.htm

Now, whether the cops would be so stringent as to enforce the law for a parade, well, that's something else altogether. I suspect they wouldn't.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Maybe we should consider that by wearing helmets we would be setting a fine public example for scooterists everywhere... fine upstanding citizens that we are...

cadillaczac

Post by cadillaczac »

We were wondering too about the helmet thing, my mom was trying to figure a way to affix a pompadour wig to her helmet, to no avail. Tricia is set on the superhero costume, it is going to be great. I just finished making the bullhorns for my scoot and am trying to convince my sister to dress as a pirate and convert the scoot she will be riding into a pirate ship!
Ventures Scooter Crew
Ventura County
Tricia

Post by Tricia »

Regardless of state law, I will be wearing my helmet- it's sort of a part of my costume, and now that I have it all planned out and almost done, if I didn't wear my helmet, I don't think that it would all come together as well.

I LOVE PARADES!
etak

Post by etak »

I can't wait to see pics from this!!
Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.
-Leonard Cohen

Randoscoot

Post by Randoscoot »

I'm not sure I'll be able to attend, but how about this idea for the group.

Be the North American Rolling Scooters Band. Everyone play a kazoo. It doesn't matter what you play, just play something loud. The worse it sounds the better. This is the Do Dah after all!! You would probably need to make a sign for the leed Scooter.
Skootz Kabootz

Re: Pasadena Doo Dah Parade: Sunday, January 18

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Randoscoot wrote:I'm not sure I'll be able to attend, but how about this idea for the group.

Be the North American Rolling Scooters Band. Everyone play a kazoo. It doesn't matter what you play, just play something loud. The worse it sounds the better. This is the Do Dah after all!! You would probably need to make a sign for the leed Scooter.
I second this!! Buying a kazoo is about all I have time for!

Tricia

Post by Tricia »

I like kazoos! So I got in touch with the Pasadena Police Dept. (Officer Thomas) He will double- check for me, but he says that helmets will most likely be required.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

The info we have so far is that helmets WILL be required.

I almost had to drop out because my scoot wouldn't start today. I goofed around with it a bit, but in the end it just needed a new battery. Nevertheless, I didn't have time left to throw together a costume, make buttons or even wash my scoot.

I will be wearing all red, white and blue stripes. A theme more than a costume, I guess.

I'll make buttons for the next meetup ride—incentive for all to join and come along. We may go to Glendale, to Moonlight Rollerway for some old school skating.

See everyone tomorrow!
PasadenaSue

Post by PasadenaSue »

I'll see everyone later this morning. Red, white and blue should work for me. Thanks for the suggestion Eric.

PasadenaSue
PasadenaSue

The "Sco Dah" Parade was a hit!!

Post by PasadenaSue »

Wow, what a great turnout for the "Sco Dah" parade. There were Buddys, Vespas, Peoples, and a few motorcycles tossed into the mix. Lots of GREAT costumes and certainly more scooters in one place then most people have ever seen before. The kids loved "Hello Kitty" and the Devil woman. Everyone had fun and we are already thinking about next year's costumes.

Thank you, Mike, for organizing this event. I met lots of ModernBuddy people and saw some beautiful scooters. And the way people decked out their scooters was awesome. This is a very creative group!!

Lunch afterwards was excellent!

Pictures to come for those of you who don't live near Pasadena.

Regards -

PasadenaSue
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

We had a very nice ModernBuddy turnout for the parade, and managed to recruit a few new members, too.

Thanks to all who turned out. There are already photos posted on the meetup site and I'll be gathering some from other sources as well and providing links.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

What a great event. Sooooo much fun!!! And so nice to meet everyone. People are nice and polite and funny online at MB, and it totally carries through to the real world. Very nice.

This was my first group ride and to those who have never scooted en masse... ya gotta try it! The more the merrier definitely is the phrase to use here.

As for the Doo Dah Parade... what an amazing event. Rarely do you see such a showing of free spirit and creativity. Absolutely fantastic. And to ride with 40 other scooters, decorated or costumed, horns honking, amidst crowds 10 deep lining both sides of the streets and hanging out of windows cheering... what an experience. I can't wait for next year.

Thanks to everyone who was there today. And thanks to Mike and Eric for organizing. I had a great time and look forward to our next ride together.

Cheers!

ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Okay, I did a crummy job of remembering who was going to be what in the parade because I don't think I officially met everyone who came, for which I apologize. Special props to the Ventura crew for getting up pretty damn early to make it out.

Thanks to all who came out; it was a blast. Next year, I'll have to devote more (some) time to a costume. Red, white & blue striped guy was a little too subtle. The Buddy owners really represented with some of the best and most imaginative costumes.

LOTS of pics of ModernBuddy, ModernVespa and LA Scooter Meetup Group members in the parade on Flickr. I started a Flickr group for the Meetup site; some pics are there:
http://flickr.com/groups/lascootergroup/
(Great shot of cadillaczac there.) I'm tracking down more from Flickr and asking photographers to add them.

And there are a bunch of Meetup group member pics from the ride here:
http://scooter.meetup.com/285/photos/520950/
cadillaczac

Post by cadillaczac »

I apologize too for not having enough time to really meet everyone-after losing our way twice on the way to the parade we showed up a little late. I had a great time and love any excuse to get creative and dress up (halloween is never enough!!!) My sisters boyfriend took some video and some photos from the parade and as soon as I get them I will add them to here.
Once again I would like to thank Mike from NoHo for getting people together for a really good time. Thanks a bunch to everyone who participated.
Ventures Scooter Crew
Ventura County
Tricia

Post by Tricia »

What a hoot! That was an awesome display of creativity and ingenuity. It was really fun to meet all the different scooterists, and I wish we could have stuck around for lunch, but we had quite a trek home.
:D I have to admit that one of my favorite parts was getting my picture taken with Darth and Boba! I feel a new avatar coming on!
cadillaczac

Post by cadillaczac »

Here is some video that my friend took of the parade on youtube...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K46PuiVI4Lc
Ventures Scooter Crew
Ventura County
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

cadillaczac wrote:Here is some video that my friend took of the parade on youtube...
Great! Thanks.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

cadillaczac wrote:Here is some video that my friend took of the parade on youtube...
That URL stopped working for some reason, but here's the new one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3w7_sALv ... age&fmt=18