Blur Low Idle Question

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

NoogaScooter

Blur Low Idle Question

Post by NoogaScooter »

My Blur's been idling pretty low lately. A couple months ago I adjusted the idle screw clockwise and that helped. Now, in winter, it's running rough again and the idle screw is all the way in clockwise. Sometimes it will cut out completely after a minute or two of idling.

Question:
1. What should I try next?
2. Could it be the 30 degree F weather?

Thoughts, comments, suggestions appreciated.

I thought maybe the throttle cable has stretched over the year and a half of ownership.

Thanks,
NS
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Check the play in the throttle cable. I had the exact same thing happen on my Blur, when I moved the throttle while watching the assembly on the carb, I could see the slack in the cable. It should be easy to spot if there's slack or not.

Once you have the slack taken out (if that's the issue) you'll likely have to readjust the idle screw.

Other things to check for are the spark plug condition and the air filter.

Let us know how it works out, even if it's something different.

Oh, and the temp will affect how it idles. You'll likely have to adjust the idle screw about twice a year (for hot and cold) but all the way in just doesn't seem right.

When you first start it, does it idle high then settle down once the engine is warm? The reason I ask is that it could be the auto-choke. I don't recall any particular instances where that has been an issue, but there's always a first.
Last edited by Lostmycage on Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

I don't think that the throttle cable enters into the equation since, during idle, it's the screw that's holding the throttle plate open, not tension on the cable. Is the problem occurring during cold starts, or even when the engine's warmed up and you're, let's say, stopped at a traffic light?

A couple of possibilities:

1) Your idle air mixture screw has vibrated out of adjustment.

2) If it's only happening when the engine's cold, then your electric choke (enricher) may have gone South, and is no longer providing extra "cold start" fuel for a long enough period.
NoogaScooter

Post by NoogaScooter »

Just got back from messing again with the Blur. Seems like the throttle cable had a good bit of slack in it....so, I tightened it up and then re-adjusted the throttle idle screw. Seems to have helped....BUT, I think the nut closest to the carb on the adjustment for slack has stripped in a certain area. I moved it to a good area and tightened the other one. Seems to have held...and it's idling better. I'd still say it's a little rough, not stalling though.

Where's the "idle air mixture" screw at? This past fall, it did stall a couple times even after warm. Is this something I should mess with? lol. I love messing with things.....

The engine will idle high until warm, then settles back down. So, I think the choke stuff is working okay.

Thanks for your help. I'm going to plan on putting a new throttle cable in (or at least the metal L shaped piece) when I get some time.

Thanks.....
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

The idle a/f ratio screw is on the left side of the carb (as in if you were on the bike) towards the bottom of the carb body. It's a little brass one.

One of those expendable inspection mirrors can make this pretty easy, as well a right angel ratcheting bit holder (the kind that had the thumb grip on the end opposite of the bit).
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.