First start is perfect but second start is a lot tougher....

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

lazygregg

First start is perfect but second start is a lot tougher....

Post by lazygregg »

Buddy 150 starts perfectly first start of the day but after I ride it somewhere and shut it down and then start again its harder to start. Yesterday I had t try to keep turning it. Any quick fix ideas or what may be wrong with it?

I electric start it.
its a 2008 150cc Buddy Italia
1,200 miles
got first oil change at 600 miles
I live in San Diego, CA and I ride my buddy at least 4 times a week anywhere between 1mile to 10 miles/day
Drumwoulf

Re: First start is perfect but second start is a lot tougher

Post by Drumwoulf »

lazygregg wrote:Buddy 150 starts perfectly first start of the day but after I ride it somewhere and shut it down and then start again its harder to start. Yesterday I had t try to keep turning it. Any quick fix ideas or what may be wrong with it?

I electric start it.
its a 2008 150cc Buddy Italia
1,200 miles
got first oil change at 600 miles
I live in San Diego, CA and I ride my buddy at least 4 times a week anywhere between 1mile to 10 miles/day
You might not be riding it long enough (or fast enough) between startups to restore and maintain a peak charge in the battery, as starting up the motor draws the most current. If you can, try putting the battery on a Battery Tender in the garage when you're not riding it, and see if that doesn't improve your starting problems...
Last edited by Drumwoulf on Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Namaste,
~drummer~

07 Buddy 125
07 Vespa GT200
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

I dunno about the battery, the bike is ridden regularly, so the battery should be fine, I just started a 150 that has been sitting around for atleast 2 months without being touched, started up fine and rode fine.

When you restart the bike, are you gone for a period of time? Or just turn it off, then start back up in a minute?
lazygregg

Post by lazygregg »

jfrost2 wrote:I dunno about the battery, the bike is ridden regularly, so the battery should be fine, I just started a 150 that has been sitting around for atleast 2 months without being touched, started up fine and rode fine.

When you restart the bike, are you gone for a period of time? Or just turn it off, then start back up in a minute?
usually anywhere between 30 mins and a few hours
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

I had a similar issue with my St. Tropez. I never really solved the issue as it wasn't/isn't a major problem, but I got the impression that the choke had something to do with it since the scooter started up best when cold.

I'm no mechanic but could that have something to do with it?

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
Keys

Post by Keys »

I would suspect the air/fuel adjustment is on the rich side. You might try adjusting that...no more than a quarter turn at a time, though...

--Keys 8)
"Life without music would Bb"
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Keys wrote:I would suspect the air/fuel adjustment is on the rich side. You might try adjusting that...no more than a quarter turn at a time, though...

--Keys 8)
Yeah, I'd second that. A bike running a bit rich, and warm from a ride could do that.
jmsmith802

Post by jmsmith802 »

I have to give my buddy a little throttle to get it to start after it has been warmed up sometimes. But I'm on a 50..
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

jmsmith802 wrote:I have to give my buddy a little throttle to get it to start after it has been warmed up sometimes. But I'm on a 50..
And in Michigan. The cold may have something to do with that.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
jmsmith802

Post by jmsmith802 »

ericalm wrote: And in Michigan. The cold may have something to do with that.
Does it in the summer, too
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

A bike should always start up fine without any help even in the summer, in the winter I can understand applying some throttle, but in warm weather the bike should run fine, unless the air/fuel or idle is slightly too low for start up.
bluelghtning

Post by bluelghtning »

I think each model is a bit unique and whats work best.

My XT225 is a bike that I can't touch the gas. Its a cold natured beast and when it's cold it requires full choke and then usually then the choke catches and it revs up. If you try any gas while starting though, no luck.

My Blurs start awesome if I give them just a quick throttle twist immediately after the starter starts spinning before the motor actually catches. Thats the way I've found they start the best. They settle right into a nice idle after that with no problems of stalling or needing restarts. Now keep in mind there is a fine line between giving it gas before you actually start spinning the motor with the starter. If you do it too early, it just bogs down the carb with too much fuel.

I think Sarah's Buddy starts pretty good with no gas added to it, but I don't ride it enough to know for sure.
BlueLghtning
My Pictures

49 states completed between 2006 & 2008
newslinky

Post by newslinky »

My 2008 St Tropez is the same way. After riding it for a while if I turn the engine off for a few minutes and go to start it again it will seem to strugle to start again. It always has so far but it just seems to have trouble getting that combustion going. The starteer turns over like a champ so its not a battery drain issue. I have a couple of times done what bluelghtning suggested in that once it is turning over I give the throttle a small quick twist and this usually fires the engine right up. Not sure why it acts this way but I am sure the theories given here are not far from correct if not totally correct.
Proud owner of a Buddy St. Tropez 150
olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

Here's my guess. When warmed, the "choke" or enricher circuit of the carb is giving it too much gas. By opening the throttle while cranking it, you are overriding the idle enricher and leaning out the mixture. Some engines need more than others. If it bothers you, take it back to the dealer for adjustment.