(SR) Helmet off for quick purchases

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

kazoo

(SR) Helmet off for quick purchases

Post by kazoo »

"A Bank of America branch in Manhattan near Rockefeller Center said it has posted a sign asking its customers to remove sunglasses, hoods and hats before entering, one of the anti-crime measures the police department recommended."

When I read this part of the article it got me thinking that sometimes I will enter a 7 Eleven store wearing the helmet -- be it bicycle, motorcycle, or the occasional beanie with propeller :roll: on top to make a quick purchase.

Thought I'd just share my real life experiences with you. :P

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090127/lf_ ... rk_economy
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Heh, I wear my helmet into stores all the time. Sometimes I'll even leave the mirrored visor down, just to get funny looks :)
Quo Vadimus

Post by Quo Vadimus »

I've heard about (but never personally seen) gas stations that have this type of policy. Honestly, unless it's kevlar-lined, I feel like a cumbersome and sensation-limiting foam bubble would not be my thievery disguise of choice. Can't they better spend their time outlawing the production of Nixon masks or making people take their shoes and underwear off before entering?

Do they make people take off their wigs? Wash off penciled-on mustaches? Expose their beard comb-overs?

Totally ridiculous.
buddyboop

Post by buddyboop »

Almost all the banks and credit unions around here make you take off sunglasses, hats etc. before entering. It is because of robberies they request/require it. If I were a bank worker it would make me feel better.
It's nice to be important, but more important to be nice.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I'll wear my helmet up to the (outdoor) ATM, but rarely inside. I will sometimes leave the gloves on, which probably looks just as suspicious.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
brape

Post by brape »

Kaos wrote:Heh, I wear my helmet into stores all the time. Sometimes I'll even leave the mirrored visor down, just to get funny looks :)
Are you The Stig?
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

brape wrote:
Kaos wrote:Heh, I wear my helmet into stores all the time. Sometimes I'll even leave the mirrored visor down, just to get funny looks :)
Are you The Stig?
Nice! Although after a few long conversations with Kaos, I wouldn't be surprised. You should ask him how he broke his Station wagon!
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

brape wrote:
Are you The Stig?
+1 stig :rofl:
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Lostmycage wrote:
brape wrote:
Are you The Stig?
Nice! Although after a few long conversations with Kaos, I wouldn't be surprised. You should ask him how he broke his Station wagon!
<---- I am now!

For those that have not heard the story yet(Basically everyone but Lostmycage)

I was racing an '08 Mustang GT in my 1970 Plymouth station wagon. I launched hard when the light changed, pulled my left front wheel clear off the ground, and promptly sheared all the right rear wheel studs off.

I won, of course. And the Mustang guy was cool enough to stop and make sure I hadn't really broken anything major.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

HAHAHAHAHA, that's awesome!

I can't believe I got you to change your Avatar. That's just great!
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

Bloody Stig!
LisaLisa

Post by LisaLisa »

I take my helmet off.
You look scary in the helmet.
Everybody does.

You don't need to be making the guy in the 7Eleven nervous.
He has a gun.
Det finns inte dåligt väder bara dåliga kläder.
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

LisaLisa wrote:I take my helmet off.
Everybody does.

He has a gun.
totally agreed. All the banks down here make you do it as well.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

jmazza wrote:
Everybody does.

He has a gun.
Last time I went into a bank, they made me take my helmet and gloves and leave my gun in the pet carrier. I had to walk all the way back to the parking lot! Fascists! What's this world coming to?!
[Totally joking. Please let's not turn this into a discussion of guns, gun control, or civil liberties. Thank you.]
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
kazoo

Post by kazoo »

Yeah, but NYC has been very fortunate with regards to crime; and obviously thats been changing. When Rudolph Guliani was around little kids were afraid to chew gum in public places.

It is my impression that the crime rate is climbing and best I can tell it will continue. Its probably all relative for the entire country though.

Yee Haaaw!

One positive is that the Forgettaboutit locks will be selling better
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

ericalm wrote:
jmazza wrote:
Everybody does.

He has a gun.
Last time I went into a bank, they made me take my helmet and gloves and leave my gun in the pet carrier. I had to walk all the way back to the parking lot! Fascists! What's this world coming to?!
[Totally joking. Please let's not turn this into a discussion of guns, gun control, or civil liberties. Thank you.]

It's a conspiracy! They're trying to break our spirits, I tell you. (Well, mine broke in transit. What a waste of scotch.) Last time I went in, they made me leave my swordbelt at the door. What's the world coming to? Next they'll be telling me my shield's not welcome. :(

:wink:
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

Walked into a CVS drug store one day with my helmet on. As soon as I got through the metal detector the girl behind the counter practically yelled, "Remove the helmet NOW OR LEAVE!" I left. Haven't been back. Helmet or no helmet.

There is an independant convenience store not too far away that is run by a Vietnamese family. Twice people have tried to rob them. Both times the robbers were shot dead. They get my business when I'm in the area and I always take off my helmet before entering. No one has tried to rob them in several years. I love those folks.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

DennisD wrote:Walked into a CVS drug store one day with my helmet on. As soon as I got through the metal detector the girl behind the counter practically yelled, "Remove the helmet NOW OR LEAVE!" I left. Haven't been back. Helmet or no helmet.

There is an independant convenience store not too far away that is run by a Vietnamese family. Twice people have tried to rob them. Both times the robbers were shot dead. They get my business when I'm in the area and I always take off my helmet before entering. No one has tried to rob them in several years. I love those folks.
Wow, I walked into a local 7-11 just this morning with my helmet on, my visor down, and nobody said a word....
UXO

Post by UXO »

epileptic seizures
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

Kaos wrote:
DennisD wrote:Walked into a CVS drug store one day with my helmet on. As soon as I got through the metal detector the girl behind the counter practically yelled, "Remove the helmet NOW OR LEAVE!" I left. Haven't been back. Helmet or no helmet.
Wow, I walked into a local 7-11 just this morning with my helmet on, my visor down, and nobody said a word....
We're suspicious as all hell down here in the FLA.
old and in the way

Post by old and in the way »

:P I look a whole lot scarier with my helmet off !!!! The girls at my bank all know how crazy I am anyway....so they would not be suprised if I came in wearing a top hat [whitch I have done]. I usually park my Buddy on their sidewalk ,close to the A.T.M.,but not blocking it,so they check out my latest mods !! God bless small town mantality. Every one knows that the A.T.M. is really where the money is !!!!!!![especially on Friday!]. :wink: old and in the way
r0sa

Post by r0sa »

i go in walmart to return redbox movies all the time, no complaints except for wierd stares
paige

Post by paige »

This is where my modular flip up helmet comes in very handy. I leave it on when getting gas, running into convenience stores, the post office and the library.
LisaLisa

Post by LisaLisa »

See, there's a whole gender thing too.

Someone could come up with a point system :wink:

cycle girls are less scary than cycle boys.
textile gear is less scary than leather gear.
half helmets are less scary than full face
white helmets are less scary than black helmets
pink is not a scary color.
neither is baby blue.

All kidding aside- if the store/bank has cameras (because of holdups) you should remove the helmet. Not removing the helmet is like walking in wearing a ski mask. Yeah- you might have a good reason, but it's just not done.
Kurt
Dealer

Post by Kurt »

What with the weather around here recently I've been wearing my ski mask into the bank. Maybe that's why I get such prompt service! 8) 8) 8)
<a href="http://urbanvillagescooters.com">Urban Village Scooters</a>
700 South Clinton Ave.
Rochester, NY 14620
585-643-5540
kazoo

Post by kazoo »

Kurt wrote:What with the weather around here recently I've been wearing my ski mask into the bank. Maybe that's why I get such prompt service! 8) 8) 8)
Great! Sounds like the Bailout money is starting to take effect. Soon they will all be given out loans. :)
olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

I look better with a helmet on.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

olhogrider wrote:I look better with a helmet on.
I look freakin' goofy. Some people can sport a helmet with style. I am not one of them. It's probably due to my size 7 5/8 head.
MrNatural

Post by MrNatural »

Anyone who walks into a place of business w/their helmet on has lost whatever common sense they may have been born with. Do you joke about weapons while in the airport too...??

If I worked in retail and some 'tard walked in and refused to remove helmet I'd boot him square in the yarbles...that is if he had any yarbles.
r0sa

Post by r0sa »

MrNatural wrote:Anyone who walks into a place of business w/their helmet on has lost whatever common sense they may have been born with. Do you joke about weapons while in the airport too...??

If I worked in retail and some 'tard walked in and refused to remove helmet I'd boot him square in the yarbles...that is if he had any yarbles.
i suppose it likes walking indoors with sunglasses/dark shades on, i mean C'MON, is it really that sunny inside?!?

i think its hilarious :nerd:
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

MrNatural wrote:Anyone who walks into a place of business w/their helmet on has lost whatever common sense they may have been born with. Do you joke about weapons while in the airport too...??

I honestly think the oposite. Anyone who is afraid of me JUST because I look like I just stepped off a motorcycle has lost whatever common sense THEY have.

How likely is it that I came in to rob the place wearing a helmet, what is obviously a motorcycle jacket and pants, and motorcycle gloves?

Wouldn't it be more likely that I rode my motorcycle(or scooter in this case) to wherever I was, and wasn't planning on making a long enough stop to take off my gear?
olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

Kaos wrote:

I honestly think the oposite. Anyone who is afraid of me JUST because I look like I just stepped off a motorcycle has lost whatever common sense THEY have.

How likely is it that I came in to rob the place wearing a helmet, what is obviously a motorcycle jacket and pants, and motorcycle gloves?

Wouldn't it be more likely that I rode my motorcycle(or scooter in this case) to wherever I was, and wasn't planning on making a long enough stop to take off my gear?
There you go making sense again! And yes, I joke about weapons at the airport all the time. But then, my hands are lethal weapons.
CiaoItalia

Post by CiaoItalia »

Police are looking for this man suspected of holding up the 7-11....
Attachments
thairobber-mug-shot-Lori-A-Walters.jpg
thairobber-mug-shot-Lori-A-Walters.jpg (21.91 KiB) Viewed 2076 times
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

olhogrider wrote:
Kaos wrote:

There you go making sense again! And yes, I joke about weapons at the airport all the time. But then, my hands are lethal weapons.

Ahh, right. I forget that making sense is contrary to security issues. I revoke my statements :p
Dave

Re: (SR) Helmet off for quick purchases

Post by Dave »

kazoo wrote:"A Bank of America branch in Manhattan near Rockefeller Center said it has posted a sign asking its customers to remove sunglasses, hoods and hats before entering, one of the anti-crime measures the police department recommended."
Will Muslim women be required to remove their veils?

What about ninjas?
kneil67@yahoo.com

Re: (SR) Helmet off for quick purchases

Post by kneil67@yahoo.com »

Dave wrote:
kazoo wrote:"A Bank of America branch in Manhattan near Rockefeller Center said it has posted a sign asking its customers to remove sunglasses, hoods and hats before entering, one of the anti-crime measures the police department recommended."
Will Muslim women be required to remove their veils?

What about ninjas?
ninjas bank after hours common fact
MrNatural

Post by MrNatural »

Kaos wrote:

There ya go thinkin' again..... They won't be afraid of you because you look like you just stepped off a motorcycle, they'll be concerned because your identity is being concealed!!! Sheesh. I doubt they’ll notice anything beyond that like jacket, gloves, etc.
How long does it take to remove your helmet? 10 sec? If you're so insistent in leaving it on, walk into a liquor store in a tough part of town and walk around a bit. Let me know how that works out for you......
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

MrNatural wrote:
Kaos wrote:

There ya go thinkin' again..... They won't be afraid of you because you look like you just stepped off a motorcycle, they'll be concerned because your identity is being concealed!!! Sheesh. I doubt they&#8217;ll notice anything beyond that like jacket, gloves, etc.
How long does it take to remove your helmet? 10 sec? If you're so insistent in leaving it on, walk into a liquor store in a tough part of town and walk around a bit. Let me know how that works out for you......
The problem isn't the Helmet, yeah that takes 10 seconds to get off, the problem is that if it's raining, I have to take my rain jacket off to get my gloves off so I can get my helmet off. Then it becomes much more involved. Not to mention that I might want to wear my helmet in so I don't get rained on. I did that just this morning actually, I wore my gear into a coffee shop this morning. It was raining, and just not worth gearing down to pull off my helmet. Now granted this may not be that good of a test, as I stop in this coffee shop every morning and they all know me.
kazoo

Post by kazoo »

Kaos wrote: The problem isn't the Helmet, yeah that takes 10 seconds to get off, the problem is that if it's raining, I have to take my rain jacket off to get my gloves off so I can get my helmet off. Then it becomes much more involved. Not to mention that I might want to wear my helmet in so I don't get rained on. I did that just this morning actually, I wore my gear into a coffee shop this morning. It was raining, and just not worth gearing down to pull off my helmet. Now granted this may not be that good of a test, as I stop in this coffee shop every morning and they all know me.
I Knew it! I just new Stig wore Mascara. :)
PeterC

Helmet

Post by PeterC »

I cannot believe that there has been so much discussion on this topic. It should be common sense, if not common courtesy, to take your freakin' helmet off when you go into a store or a bank to make a transaction. This is not an infringement on your rights or self-esteem. Get serious!
kazoo

Post by kazoo »

What about at the toll lanes that are peopled? I bet at times they have as much cash as a Slurpy joint. But again if they are anything like the NY metro area they'd have to contend with a whole lot of Police. It would make for a quick getaway though.
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

McDonalds Drive Thru? Wendy's?
LisaLisa

Post by LisaLisa »

kazoo wrote:What about at the toll lanes that are peopled?
It would make for a quick getaway though.
Hunh? Which interstate, bridge approach are you driving on?
Not the PATP, NJTP, GSP, LT, HT, GWB, TZB, TNB, TBB, VNB, LIE or NYT.
There ain't nothing quick near toll booths.
kazoo

Post by kazoo »

LisaLisa wrote:
kazoo wrote:What about at the toll lanes that are peopled?
It would make for a quick getaway though.
Hunh? Which interstate, bridge approach are you driving on?
Not the PATP, NJTP, GSP, LT, HT, GWB, TZB, TNB, TBB, VNB, LIE or NYT.
There ain't nothing quick near toll booths.

edit: Sure, you'll have to wait a while to rob them, but that justs gives the perp. a chance to work up the courage, or reconsider the consequences.
Quo Vadimus

Post by Quo Vadimus »

I'm beginning to love this idea.

When they outlaw helmets, only outlaws will wear helmets!

Damn the man, save your skull!

Alternatively, you could just use the ATM, and feel superior about the fact that the ATM camera isn't catching a darn thing! (This is what I'll do while the country hangs onto the FEELING of security instead of any semblance of actual safety.)
EBee

Post by EBee »

MrNatural wrote: The problem isn't the Helmet, yeah that takes 10 seconds to get off, the problem is that if it's raining, I have to take my rain jacket off to get my gloves off so I can get my helmet off. Then it becomes much more involved. Not to mention that I might want to wear my helmet in so I don't get rained on. I did that just this morning actually, I wore my gear into a coffee shop this morning. It was raining, and just not worth gearing down to pull off my helmet. Now granted this may not be that good of a test, as I stop in this coffee shop every morning and they all know me.
I feel ya. Add glasses to that list. I wear a FF helmet, so first I have to take off my gloves so I can feel the buckle on my helmet. Then the glasses before the helmet. Then my long hair ends up a mess and I have to ponytail it or something. If I don't want to carry the helmet in of course I need to lock it down. Somewhere in there I'll forget my keys in the ignition. If I don't take off my jacket (which is a black leather/tex combo) I get stares for that too. Takes 10 min. just to get ready to go in the store. :roll:
"If everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane."--Steven Wright
pocphil
Dealer

Post by pocphil »

Folks that insist you remove your helmet before entering their store have never lived in a motorcycle friendly country. While living in Germany I learned that it's 100% common for m/c messengers / despatch riders to enter banks and businesses, transact business, take the elevator to the corporate level etc. all whil(st) wearing their scarf, balaclava, glasses and full-face or more commonly flip-up helmet.

I do most of my commuting with a Balaclava, Helmet and glasses on. I'm not going to remove all of them to simply run in and get a tube of preparation H.

In fact, the anonymity is comforting.
Phil Waters
ClevelandMoto
Pride Of Cleveland Scooters
18636 Detroit Rd.
Lakewood, Ohio 44107
216-227-1964
www.clevelandmoto.com
kazoo

Post by kazoo »

Some burn victims in the past have worn the elastic covering over their entire face.
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

i can take my gear off, including glasses, gloves, helmet, unzip or zip the jacket, and baclava, in under 30 seconds... I can put it on in about the same time.

I take my stuff off everytime I get off the scooter and will be interacting with people. I just think its courteous.

Then again, I dont wear hats or sunglasses indoors either :)
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

pocphil wrote:Folks that insist you remove your helmet before entering their store have never lived in a motorcycle friendly country. While living in Germany I learned that it's 100% common for m/c messengers / despatch riders to enter banks and businesses, transact business, take the elevator to the corporate level etc. all whil(st) wearing their scarf, balaclava, glasses and full-face or more commonly flip-up helmet.
What was the crime rate like in Germany when you lived there?