Any word on the cylinder kit from SW?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

DO3

Any word on the cylinder kit from SW?

Post by DO3 »

Just wondering if any inside sources have heard anything about the rumored big bore kit from ScooterWorks?

I'm also wondering how much it would cost to buy a Blur 150 cylinder and piston. With the Buddy 125 stoke we'd end up with about 157cc. If the parts were cheap enough I'd think about buying them to see if they'd line up at all. I don't know how thick the cylinder wall of the 125 is but I would think boring it out 6mm would be impossible, since that's almost 1/4 inch. It would be a good project for next winter maybe.
Keys

Post by Keys »

I talked to my dealer this last Friday and he said that one of the guys from Genuine had just been on the phone with him and he said that a 177cc kit has been approved by the powers-that-be. No set date for release, though...

--Keys 8)
"Life without music would Bb"
DO3

Post by DO3 »

Schweeet! Thanks for the update.
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

is this kit actually coming from genuine? If so, since it's their product will the warranty still be valid?
DO3

Post by DO3 »

If the Prima pipe voids it, I'd be very sure a cylinder kit would as well.
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

I understand that third party mods void the warranty but I was wondering if it's an actually Genuine product will it? (that is of course if it is a Genuine kit)
Keys

Post by Keys »

From what I understood, the cylinder kit will be a third party item. They were just being picky about who they dealt with, I think.

--Keys 8)
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I think there's a "business relationship" between Prima, Genuine and ScooterWorks—as in the owner has some kind of stake in each. So you can bet Genuine is heavily involved in the development of the performance accessories.

But, yeah, it will void the warranty—at least its coverage of the engine. Honestly, even if it came branded as a Genuine product it probably still would. They can't control who/how they're installed, which could really screw things up.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

ok that makes sense, thanks
thatguy

Post by thatguy »

While they are next door to each other and there are 'business relationships', aftermarket performance items are carried by Scooterworks even for dealers. You may not see this at the user end, but your dealer is not able to buy these performance items from Genuine directly.
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

any updates on the kit yet? Any Idea what price range it's going to be? Also is there Variator kit available yet?
KidDynomite

Post by KidDynomite »

Yes Genuine!!! I WANT MORE POWER!!!

Seriously, there is nothing more fun than riding my scoot, but it'd be even more fun if I could keep up with a few P200s I ride with. I wanna run with the big dogs!!
You don't wanna get mixed up with a guy like me. I'm a loner Dottie, a REBEL.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

KidDynomite wrote:Yes Genuine!!! I WANT MORE POWER!!!

Seriously, there is nothing more fun than riding my scoot, but it'd be even more fun if I could keep up with a few P200s I ride with. I wanna run with the big dogs!!
I'm actually surprised you can't keep up with the P200s... Their top speed is probably higher, but do you beat 'em off the line? Go go go CVT!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
KidDynomite

Post by KidDynomite »

ericalm wrote:
I'm actually surprised you can't keep up with the P200s... Their top speed is probably higher, but do you beat 'em off the line? Go go go CVT!
Actually, I can keep up with them all the way up to about 55 or so then I must tuck. Plus my main concern is rapping it full out for 30 minutes at a time. I figure no engine is built to run full out for that long. I mean look at how many blown engines there are in NASCAR.
You don't wanna get mixed up with a guy like me. I'm a loner Dottie, a REBEL.
DO3

Post by DO3 »

Yes but nascar engines are 5.7 liters, running about 700 hp and our buddies are 125cc and probably about 10 hp max.

700/5.700= 123 hp/l

10/.125= 80 hp/l

They're pushing those engines a lot harder than we are. I'm sure there is plenty of safety factor built into the design of the PGO engines. From what I've seen overseas they run their small engines much harder than we do. I wouldn't worry too much about running flat out for too long.
Keys

Post by Keys »

I've run flat out for, oh, a couple hundred miles at a time a few times. I intend to do it again soon. I regularly do it for about 50 miles at a time over the mountains into Prescott. So far, at 6000 miles, I've not had any problems. The anodized cylinder walls and pressurized lubrication system add a tremendous amount of durability to this little engine.

--Keys 8)
Kevin K

Post by Kevin K »

KidDynomite wrote: but it'd be even more fun if I could keep up with a few P200s I ride with. I wanna run with the big dogs!!
Hmmm. Susan's B125 is about as fast as my P200. It's definitely quicker off the line.
-K
She rides: nothing yet
He rides: crappy 35 year-old Vespa (and 70cc Rattler)

Minnesota Motorcyle Monthly

My SmugMug
San Francisco

Post by San Francisco »

DO3 wrote: I'm sure there is plenty of safety factor built into the design of the PGO engines. From what I've seen overseas they run their small engines much harder than we do. I wouldn't worry too much about running flat out for too long.
Plus, doesn't the Buddy have a limiter? I thought I read somewhere that it did.

I'm sure the manufacturer designed the governor to save the scooter from
those of us inclined to see if we can exceed the specified speeds. :evil:

If it does have a limiter, that will keep the Buddy from revs that will make the
engine blow or give out on an all day run.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

San Francisco wrote:
DO3 wrote: I'm sure there is plenty of safety factor built into the design of the PGO engines. From what I've seen overseas they run their small engines much harder than we do. I wouldn't worry too much about running flat out for too long.
Plus, doesn't the Buddy have a limiter? I thought I read somewhere that it did.

I'm sure the manufacturer designed the governor to save the scooter from
those of us inclined to see if we can exceed the specified speeds. :evil:

If it does have a limiter, that will keep the Buddy from revs that will make the
engine blow or give out on an all day run.
Wouldn't the CVT prevent the engine from over-revving?
San Francisco

Post by San Francisco »

The continuously variable transmission certainly has an affect on speeds attainable, but I believe the engine has a limiter.
Bryce-O-Rama

Post by Bryce-O-Rama »

ericalm wrote:Wouldn't the CVT prevent the engine from over-revving?
Nope. The CDI's rev limiter does that. Which means that without optimizing the CVT, you may not see an appreciable top speed from a cylinder kit, pipe, or another modification alone.
- Bryce
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

Bryce-O-Rama wrote: Nope. The CDI's rev limiter does that. Which means that without optimizing the CVT, you may not see an appreciable top speed from a cylinder kit, pipe, or another modification alone.
How would you go about doing that? Is that something the dealer would already be aware of when installing the kit?