stupid Buddy questions

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Scooter Hoot

Post by Scooter Hoot »

Doh! I didn't realize that there was a topic updated TODAY with that exact information ... I loose >.<
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Scooter Hoot wrote:Time to resurrect the good ole stupid question thread...

I need to adjust my idle on the scooter - it's running too low and dieing at stoplights. I know there's supposed to be a screw for that near the carb ... but where's the carb? Is this something likely to break the buddy if I manage to screw something up or not?
Tech Library to the rescue!
topic4153.html
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

Do the stock shocks break in after a while, do I need to get me to the mechanic, or have I just gotten used to weathering bumps better? They're the same bumps in the road, but I swear they don't jar like they used to.
When I first got the scoot: a paddle ball.
After 1,000 miles: a trampoline...still springy, but more merciful.
mandyscoots

Post by mandyscoots »

My stupid buddy question: I used stabil on my buddy before I stored it for 3 months. Now that I'm ready to ride again is it ok to run on that gas?
Scalpel

Post by Scalpel »

mandyscoots wrote:My stupid buddy question: I used stabil on my buddy before I stored it for 3 months. Now that I'm ready to ride again is it ok to run on that gas?
Absolutely.
bunny

Post by bunny »

My turn!

Can I really use the 12 volt lighter thingy? Or is it just for looks? I was thinking of getting another phone charger and keeping it on Bonheur.
Yes, it's fast. No, you can't ride it.

broke

Post by broke »

bunny wrote:Can I really use the 12 volt lighter thingy? Or is it just for looks? I was thinking of getting another phone charger and keeping it on Bonheur.
It is a legitimate 12V jack, but you should be aware of a few things:

1. The stock fuse in the Buddy for that jack is 1A. You may want a larger fuse for many applications.

2. If you go with a much larger fuse, keep in mind that the Buddy's charging system doesn't have a ton of excess capacity. (But cell phone charging is NOT a problem.)

3. The buddy's charging / regulation system is not very good... The voltage will wander around a bit. Again, most cell phone chargers probably can deal with the less-than-perfect-regulation, but some applications might be more finnicky.

Hey, I actually know something! Thanks Bunny! (now lets hope I didn't get any of this too wrong :wink: )
Want and need divide me. Mekka-lekka hi mekka hiney ho!
TVB

Post by TVB »

bunny wrote:Can I really use the 12 volt lighter thingy? Or is it just for looks? I was thinking of getting another phone charger and keeping it on Bonheur.
I wouldn't try running one of those car coffee makers or jump-starting a Hummer from it, but it should be able to handle recharging a phone alright.
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

My manual actually refers to it as a "cell phone charging seat". The warnings in the manual are:

1. This socket is for temporary charging purposes only. Maximum output is 1A.
2. Use this socket under Key-On position only when engine is running: do not use the socket when the engine is NOT running.
3. Use the fuse with the same specification as the factory setting. (12V1A)
4. Fuse is located at the back of the socket.
black sunshine

Post by black sunshine »

TVB wrote:
I wouldn't try running one of those car coffee makers or jump-starting a Hummer from it, but it should be able to handle recharging a phone alright.
in related questions - my '06 Buddy doesn't have one of those :-( has anybody come up with a workaround for that? my cellphone needs charging constantly!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

black sunshine wrote:
TVB wrote:
in related questions - my '06 Buddy doesn't have one of those :-( has anybody come up with a workaround for that? my cellphone needs charging constantly!
You can install one yourself. There's a tutorial on ModernVespa for doing this on an LX, but it should be similar on a Buddy.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

My turn... Not really a purely Buddy question but here goes.

I have added these nice bright blue/white LED bulbs in my deadlights. I dig the blue/white. The stock headlight bulb that came with my St.Tropez (2008) is the standard yellow/white incandescent color. I want to change to a blue/white headlight.

Question: What kind of headlight bulb is it that burns with the same blue/white color as my new deadlight LED bulbs? I have seen many of these blue/white headlights in cars, but I have no idea what kind of bulbs they are. Halogen? LED?

Thanks.

Also what max wattage of the mystery bulb should I/could I replace my stock Buddy incandescent with.

Thanks again.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
TVB

Post by TVB »

There are some cheap knockoffs that just try to duplicate the bluish color of expensive cars' headlights (usually at the expense of brightness), but the "real" ones are high-intensity discharge (HID) bulbs. They're similar in technology to fluorescent lights, and the xenon gas inside doesn't put out as much red as other colors, so they look bluish. White LEDs also have a bias toward blue, especially compared to tungsten incandescent bulbs, which are rather orangy.
purromaniac

My stupid Buddy question

Post by purromaniac »

Can someone instruct me on proper care of the battery?

Typically, I only get to ride my Buddy 3-4 times a week, usually for running errands. My total trip might be 10-30 miles, but with a stop or two, or three. I always use the kill switch when I shut off the engine. I have a small motorcycle alarm that I use when I'm out, not when parked in my garage - does it drain the battery? I usually have to kick start my Buddy, and when it gets hard to kick start I hook it up to the charger.

I use a car battery charger (on slow charge), but don't know how long to leave it on, how often to use it, etc. The battery is about two months old.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

TVB wrote:...the "real" ones are high-intensity discharge (HID) bulbs...
Are there any of these made that can be used on a Buddy?

TVB

Re: My stupid Buddy question

Post by TVB »

purromaniac wrote:I have a small motorcycle alarm that I use when I'm out, not when parked in my garage - does it drain the battery? I usually have to kick start my Buddy, and when it gets hard to kick start I hook it up to the charger.
It sounds like the alarm is draining the battery. Using the 12V socket when the engine is off isn't recommended, because the battery doesn't store very much charge.
purromaniac

Post by purromaniac »

TVB wrote:Using the 12V socket when the engine is off isn't recommended, because the battery doesn't store very much charge.
The alarm is wired in, not plugged into the socket.
n2tattoos

Post by n2tattoos »

my stupid Buddy question: how do you clean your Buddy? i have a powerwasher, but it is too strong to use on the Buddy?
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

n2tattoos wrote:my stupid Buddy question: how do you clean your Buddy? i have a powerwasher, but it is too strong to use on the Buddy?
Simple Green and a washcloth/sponge/paper towel.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
Angela

Post by Angela »

n2tattoos wrote:my stupid Buddy question: how do you clean your Buddy? i have a powerwasher, but it is too strong to use on the Buddy?
Um, I think that is a bit harsh. Bucket and rag.
emilaya101

Post by emilaya101 »

Actually, I just took my buddy to the dealer for the first oil/ air filter change, and they washed it for me while it was there, so I wouldn't know :lol: Just thought I'd share that
r0sa

Post by r0sa »

i use simple green also! man that stuff works wonders. and after simple green, i use a little Windex because the simple green sometimes leaves a haze
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

I asked my dealer this same question and he said do NOT use water when cleaning a Buddy as it can get behind the panels and perhaps effect electrical stuff. Here is what they do (and I do too).

Use a separate, clean MIRCOFIBER (no ShamWow) cloth for each step.

Step 1:
Clean dirt off using "LA's Totally Awesome" (Yup, I swear that's what it's called...) It's available at the 99¢ Store. It is a really strong, really good, non-toxic cleaner. Dilute it as recommended. I did 2 to 1 with water. Spritz it on dirty areas, wipe off. That is the cleaning part.

Step 2:
Protect metal and non-shiny plastic parts. Use Kal-Gard Silicon spray. Spray Kal-Gard Silicon on to non-clear-coated (unpainted) plastic parts, engine parts, exhaust, etc. It can handle the engine heat. Also, the silicon makes it harder for dirt to stick so cleaning the scooter is easier the next time.

Step 3:
Shine and protect clear-coated (painted) body panels. Use Meguiar's Quik Detailer. Just spray it on and wipe off with your microfiber towel. Simple.

Step 4:
Go for a ride and show off you shiny new scooter!!

Hope that helps.

r0sa

Post by r0sa »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:
I asked my dealer this same question and he said do NOT use water when cleaning a Buddy as it can get behind the panels and perhaps effect electrical stuff.
so its not a good idea to ride in the rain?
TVB

Post by TVB »

purromaniac wrote:
TVB wrote:Using the 12V socket when the engine is off isn't recommended, because the battery doesn't store very much charge.
The alarm is wired in, not plugged into the socket.
Unless it has its own power source, it's still drawing power from the battery, which is the same thing.
TVB

Post by TVB »

r0sa wrote:
Skootz Kabootz wrote:I asked my dealer this same question and he said do NOT use water when cleaning a Buddy as it can get behind the panels and perhaps effect electrical stuff.
I don't know how serious a concern this is, but unless it's a major downpour, rain isn't going to drench it like a good washing could. Each raindrop tends to hit then quickly blow away, compared to a hose or soaked sponge which simply dumps a stream of water.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

r0sa wrote:
Skootz Kabootz wrote:
I asked my dealer this same question and he said do NOT use water when cleaning a Buddy as it can get behind the panels and perhaps effect electrical stuff.
He just said it's not a good idea to clean using water. I suppose the difference is between directing a full-on heavy stream of water from a hose or pressurized water devise into various parts of the scooter from various different angles, compared to just riding straight on into raindrops, which is one direction and a much lesser water flow.

Anyways, I just took their advise and my scooter looks great and I never have to dry it :)

Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

You beat me to it TVB :)

KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

I leave mine in the rain all the time. no probs... (yet) :roll:
Last edited by KRUSTYburger on Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
n2tattoos

Post by n2tattoos »

thanks for the great advice everyone!
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

TVB wrote:
r0sa wrote:
Skootz Kabootz wrote:I asked my dealer this same question and he said do NOT use water when cleaning a Buddy as it can get behind the panels and perhaps effect electrical stuff.
I don't know how serious a concern this is, but unless it's a major downpour, rain isn't going to drench it like a good washing could. Each raindrop tends to hit then quickly blow away, compared to a hose or soaked sponge which simply dumps a stream of water.
Umm, I've be out in MAJOR downpours before. It won't hurt anything.
I've washed my bike plenty with water, and this is OREGON is raining more often than not. I think water is ok :)
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

ahh yess i was wondering that too :wink:
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

I already mentioned this above, but if you are the
non-pampering type that leaves your scooter
outside in the rain & sun, I would seriously
recommend this for your interior panels if they
are getting sun damage.

It's called back to black, but can be used
on any color, I use it on my italia. Doesn't
do so good on the shiny panels or the
floor mat though.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Kaos wrote:...I've be out in MAJOR downpours before...
I'm sure a little water is not going to kill the scooter. And if living and riding in Oregon doesn't prove that what else will? :)

I think the point the dealer was making is that where you can avoid soaking the interior wiring of the scooter, it is advisable. Just as you would avoid soaking the electronics of a car.

But this particular debate aside, speaking for myself, cleaning my scooter without the additional time and labor of water, soap, washing, drying etc, makes it far more likely that I might actually do it from time to time. :wink:

ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:
I'm sure a little water is not going to kill the scooter. And if living and riding in Oregon doesn't prove that what else will? :)

I think the point the dealer was making is that where you can avoid soaking the interior wiring of the scooter, it is advisable. Just as you would avoid soaking the electronics of a car.

But this particular debate aside, speaking for myself, cleaning my scooter without the additional time and labor of water, soap, washing, drying etc, makes it far more likely that I might actually do it from time to time. :wink:
The real problem is when people take it to the the self-service car wash and use the power sprayers. I have heard of this messing up electronics, particularly ignitions.

For the Buddy, I use water, Mother's soap applied with this car washing hose attachment thing, Fantastik, window cleaner, microfiber sponges and towels. I don't use any wax or polish on the Buddy. If you do, make sure it's intended for use on plastic. Many car waxes are not.
BeachBuzz

Post by BeachBuzz »

I wash my scoots with the same RainX car wash I use on the cages. Then they get polished with Unscented Pledge (bees like the lemon scented variety). The Pledge works like wax and helps the windscreen shed water like RainX.

The worst part for me is degriming the wheels - I think my Blur got the gear oil overfill that aspirates on to the back wheel. After a winter of riding with no washing my back wheel looks more black than orange. It's gonna take some time to get it back to pristine.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

ericalm wrote:
Skootz Kabootz wrote:

The real problem is when people take it to the the self-service car wash and use the power sprayers. I have heard of this messing up electronics, particularly ignitions.

For the Buddy, I use water, Mother's soap applied with this car washing hose attachment thing, Fantastik, window cleaner, microfiber sponges and towels. I don't use any wax or polish on the Buddy. If you do, make sure it's intended for use on plastic. Many car waxes are not.
Ahh, yeah. Directed power washers could be bad. :) I see the logic in that.
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

I need to adjust my idle on the scooter - it's running too low and dieing at stoplights. I know there's supposed to be a screw for that near the carb ... but where's the carb? Is this something likely to break the buddy if I manage to screw something up or not?
make sure its not the mixture screw that you are adjusting
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

gearhead wrote:

You have to take the whole pet carrier out of the bike to get to the mixture screw(Unless you're REALLY creative) but can reach the idle screw from the door in the bottom of the pet carrier. As long as you don't start pulling out the pet carrier, you'll be ok :)
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

Kaos wrote:
gearhead wrote:

You have to take the whole pet carrier out of the bike to get to the mixture screw(Unless you're REALLY creative) but can reach the idle screw from the door in the bottom of the pet carrier. As long as you don't start pulling out the pet carrier, you'll be ok :)
pretty convenient
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

I'm sorry, I just have to comment on the washing thing. I'm getting a good laugh. Taiwan, where our lovely little Buddies come from, is bisected by the Tropic of Cancer...which means the weather is crap unless you love humidity and torrential downpours. Whatever happened to a bucket of water, some Simple Green and an old t-shirt? It's a vehicle, not a Ming vase.
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

siobhan wrote:I'm sorry, I just have to comment on the washing thing. I'm getting a good laugh. Taiwan, where our lovely little Buddies come from, is bisected by the Tropic of Cancer...which means the weather is crap unless you love humidity and torrential downpours. Whatever happened to a bucket of water, some Simple Green and an old t-shirt? It's a vehicle, not a Ming vase.
yeahh i have pressured washed my gfs buddy before. still runnin strong
r0sa

Post by r0sa »

so how do ya'll de-grime the back wheel, my gear oil leaked numerous times and i left it that way for months, and simple green isn't really working since the oil is caked on :?
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

r0sa wrote:so how do ya'll de-grime the back wheel, my gear oil leaked numerous times and i left it that way for months, and simple green isn't really working since the oil is caked on :?
I use this stuff call LA's Totally Awesome that I got at the 99¢ Store. It is a non-toxic concentrate. Works really well for me and only cost a buck!. Try using it full strength if your wheel is really dirty.

Kaos

Post by Kaos »

r0sa wrote:so how do ya'll de-grime the back wheel, my gear oil leaked numerous times and i left it that way for months, and simple green isn't really working since the oil is caked on :?
I just used a can of engine degreaser I already had from my last engine build. Worked awesome.
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

MY Stupid Buddy Question(s):

There is a rubber boot on my left brake handle but not on the right, what does it do, why is it on one side not the other, and should there be one on the right side as well???

I'm the second owner, could the 'missing' one have been removed for some reasion?

Thanks
Keith
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

KABarash wrote:MY Stupid Buddy Question(s):

There is a rubber boot on my left brake handle but not on the right, what does it do, why is it on one side not the other, and should there be one on the right side as well???

I'm the second owner, could the 'missing' one have been removed for some reasion?

Thanks
Keith
Probably a replacement handle on the left. Was the scooter dropped before you bought it?
broke

Post by broke »

Thanks
Keith
Mine also has a rubber boot only on the left brake handle (not on the right). I am the original owner, so its never had one on the right (and I've never noticed that before this morning.)

This boot doesn't cover much of the brake handle... mostly it is under the headset plastic.

I have no clue why it is needed, but if you remove your headset I'll bet you'll figure out why (and let us know!)
Want and need divide me. Mekka-lekka hi mekka hiney ho!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

broke wrote:

Thanks
Keith
Mine also has a rubber boot only on the left brake handle (not on the right). I am the original owner, so its never had one on the right (and I've never noticed that before this morning.)

This boot doesn't cover much of the brake handle... mostly it is under the headset plastic.

I have no clue why it is needed, but if you remove your headset I'll bet you'll figure out why (and let us know!)
Ah, I was thinking a boot over the outside part of the handle. I'll go look at mine later.
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

ericalm wrote:

Thanks
Keith
Probably a replacement handle on the left. Was the scooter dropped before you bought it?
Yes it was dropped, I'm told 'lightly' at slow speed, but it was on the left side and both break levers are origonal. The end of the left handle is scratched.

ALSO, What is the other bulb looking thingy inside the headlight?