dead head light

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

mandyscoots

dead head light

Post by mandyscoots »

hey guys
I just got my buddy out for the first time since winter and when I was checking it I noticed my low beam head light was burnt out.
Drove about 15 miles and stopped at friends house, went to leave, high beam was burnt out too. :(

I need to know how to change it, what kind of bulbs to buy ect.
I'm sure this has been asked before but I searched and couldn't find anything! If someone could point me in the right direction.

Also my speedometer panel was still lit, do you think I have to worry about this light going out soon? All my other lights (blinkers brakes) are working.

thanks for the help
loodieboy

Post by loodieboy »

Check in the Technical Library section of these forums. There are several threads in there that should help you. One provides step-by-step instructions, with pictures, for upgrading (or replacing) the bulb. Another discusses halogen bulbs which are far brighter than your stock bulb which just burned out.

If you upgrade to a halogen bulb, which many folks will strongly recommend because it is so much brighter, you will be looking for a Sylvania Silverstar labeled 9003 or H4 or both 9003/H4 at AutoZone or the auto parts store of your choice. If you simply want to replace the stock bulb with another stock bulb, I'm not sure which one you need, but someone here surely knows.

Once you replace the bulb and reassemble the headset, you will want to aim the headlight. This is important. There is a small silver adjusting nut under the headlight (9 mm). Loosen the nut and you can slide the headlight assembly up and down. I believe the procedure for proper aiming is to have your headlight 17 ft from a wall, and aim it at a mark on the wall 36" from the ground. Again, someone here should be able to tell you definitively.
Clearly.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Not to be snotty, but it's in the owner's manual, too. I mean, I don't have a Buddy and I've never seen a Buddy owner's manual, so I'm just speculating to some degree, but if it's not, I don't know why they'd bother printing it.

: )

Bb.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
mandyscoots

Post by mandyscoots »

I bought my buddy used without a manual. I did see that someone put one on PDF on a sticky but I couldn't find anything on there about changing the head light.

I will search the librarys again.
Perkussion

Post by Perkussion »

Try this one. It helped me quite a bit.
topic492.html

Since you have to put in a new bulb anyway you might want to consider a Sylvania SilverStar.

My bulb burned out, I replaced it and it burned that one out within hours.

It turned out to be a bad regulator.

I hope it's not that cause it took weeks to get it replaced from the dealer.

Good luck :)