Feature Requests for Genuine's New Scoots

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

JasonH

Post by JasonH »

Hey everybody. I thought we could start a list of what Genuine's customers would like to have in their upcoming models.

I for one would love to have an internal storage option for a laptop.
If not in the underseat compartment, perhaps some sort of well protected laptop slot in case of a slide. With the increasing of laptop popularity and the demographics most of us scooter folk fall into this could be a deciding factor against other models or brands.

Fitted preferably for a 17inch macbook :p

What are your ideas?
TVB

Re: Feature Requests for Genuine's New Scoots

Post by TVB »

JasonH wrote:Fitted preferably for a 17inch macbook :p
That's the one that looks like a cafeteria tray when it's closed, right? If you want to carry something that big, you'll need a Yamaha C3. :)

Seriously, a slot that's big enough for a 17" MBPro or Alienware gaming rig is going to be way too big for a MB Air or EEE PC. One size won't fit all. A better goal would be to try to make the pet carrier more laptop-compatible, which would have the added benefit of making it more welcoming to books, cereal boxes, and other things that aren't shaped like a 3/4 helmet.
bigbropgo

Post by bigbropgo »

padded messenger bag. the only way to go. every jolt your butt feels riding an unmaintained road or off a curb, is felt by your mac or pc. plus only a few people would use it anyway.
no i don't ride a scooter, i am a scooter pilot!
VICTUS MORTUUS VENATOR
laxer

Post by laxer »

Perhaps a cup-specific slot in the front for my drinks? A bigger underseat storage area? Include the back-rack on the rattlers and roughhouses (and more available options for these models)? Available front racks for all models?
Quo Vadimus

Post by Quo Vadimus »

Might as well do us the solid of plugging those non-DOTs in as running lights, if it's legal.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

As far as storage capacity goes, while I don't know of any scoot with space for a 17" MBP, the rumored Genuine touring scooter may have more room than the Buddy or other current models. (Also, as others have said, best place for a laptop is in a secure, padded bag.)
Quo Vadimus wrote:Might as well do us the solid of plugging those non-DOTs in as running lights, if it's legal.
This is my persistent desire for the Buddy. Just plug 'em in.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

1. 12" wheels

2. Deadlights to running lights or turn signals

3. All turn and brake lights should be LED

4. Brighter headlights

5. Nicer stock rims

All of the above features would be no problem for Genuine to incorporate immediately into their models for little extra cost.
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

How about.... Stella body, G-Max 200 engine? comes in baby blue/putty white combo with brown leather saddle seat? :clap:

keeping my fingers crossed!
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

Backrest/"sissy bar" (?) accessory that would compliment the rear rack.
That would open up a lot of options for luggage. Maybe even build several mounting spots into the seat for different backrest placement options, or somehow incorporate the cowl protectors into the setup. That way the backrest wouldn't have to be all the way at the back of the seat.
rgbwatcher

Post by rgbwatcher »

a two-gallon gas tank.

One of the biggest advantages is that Buddy uses less gas. But, I still have to fill up the tank twice as often as with my cage, because the tank is so small. Increasing the volume of the gas tank (without losing storage, of course!) would be great!
Yes, that's Ganesh painted on a scooter. No, it's not mine.
bunny

Post by bunny »

I'm thinking that maybe the release of all those cute little laptops last Christmas was in response to all us scooter riders...my little sister got one and it is TINY. TINY. TINY. Did I mention it was tiny. Funny how the first thought in my head was, "Hey! That would even fit in the pet carrier!"

Yeah. No.

My wish list:

different front rack options. other than a basket or a rack. hell, even a thin vertical set up to slide a bigger laptop into would work for those purposes.

a clock

a rubber lining for the front 'glovebox' thingy.
Yes, it's fast. No, you can't ride it.

Scooter Hoot

Post by Scooter Hoot »

What I think I would like is the buddy, but just a little bit bigger.
- Somewhat larger seat (2 up is just a bit TOO friendly)
- A bit more padding on the passenger portion of the seat - bumps that I shrug off have bruised my gf's tailbone before
- As said above, somewhat larger gas can - 2 gallons?
- Agreed on the deadlights. If they can't "legally" hook them up, could they just leave them conveniently unplugged with a socket already open for them?
- Agreed on 12 in wheels. WOT gets a bit scary on the 10 in things.
- Seat bucket just SLIGHTLY deeper ... my full face helmet is so close to fitting ... grrr
Dan Buddy

Post by Dan Buddy »

Lots of good ideas so far, anyone brought up:
* A rear disk brake
* Rear brake modulator

And my laptop goes in my backpack, I think it would be a little too rough of a ride under the seat even it fit.
Rob

Post by Rob »

ericalm wrote:As far as storage capacity goes, while I don't know of any scoot with space for a 17" MBP, the rumored Genuine touring scooter may have more room than the Buddy or other current models.
Touring scooter my #1 wish list item. Along with EFI, liquid cooled, rear disk brake, and a decent service manual.

Rob
"Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen."
- Steven Wright
rgbwatcher

Post by rgbwatcher »

oooo... I'm with Bunny!

A CLOCK! A CLOCK!!

:)
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

As Coraline says, be careful what you wish for. : )

Underseat storage and a big gas tank are good, but those two demands have ruined the seat and/or the riding position on too many scooters. If you love the buddy because it's low to the ground and has a mostly flat seat, then you *dont* want more storage under the seat.

Scooter design is always a compromise, you can't have it all. A lot of current scooters are starting to look like "The Homer" from the Simpsons, and compromise geometry and engineering and ride for easy 'selling points.'

Also, there's really no way make big changes on the Buddy specifically, without entirely redesigning the scooter, and that's not going to happen. Genuine has a lot of pull at PGO, but if they're going to redesign the buddy, they'd be better off starting from scratch and trying something entirely new (which they might be doing, from the rumors).

The one easy-and-realistic change I'd like to see on the Buddy, at least as an option, is EFI, apparently it's standard on all Taiwanese BuBus now, so Genuine must be special-ordering them with carbs. It'd knock the price up a bit, but it'd be worth it in the long run. Carbs are a drag for people who dont' ride often, or year-round, and that probably describes the majority of the Buddy demographic.

Another thing I'd like to see them address is the punch-outs in the legshield, they just bum me out when I see them. I realize they're great if you want to add a front rack (and the front rack looks great, too) but it'd look better if they were actual holes with color-matched plugs or something. They just look cheap. But, bviously if that's the second-biggest thing I can find to nitpick, they're doing pretty well, ha.

B.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
bgwss

Post by bgwss »

*+2 on the clock
*ambient temperature
*dual disc front brakes
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

illnoise wrote:As Coraline says, be careful what you wish for. : )

Underseat storage and a big gas tank are good, but those two demands have ruined the seat and/or the riding position on too many scooters. If you love the buddy because it's low to the ground and has a mostly flat seat, then you *dont* want more storage under the seat.

Scooter design is always a compromise, you can't have it all. A lot of current scooters are starting to look like "The Homer" from the Simpsons, and compromise geometry and engineering and ride for easy 'selling points.'

Also, there's really no way make big changes on the Buddy specifically, without entirely redesigning the scooter, and that's not going to happen. Genuine has a lot of pull at PGO, but if they're going to redesign the buddy, they'd be better off starting from scratch and trying something entirely new (which they might be doing, from the rumors).

The one easy-and-realistic change I'd like to see on the Buddy, at least as an option, is EFI, apparently it's standard on all Taiwanese BuBus now, so Genuine must be special-ordering them with carbs. It'd knock the price up a bit, but it'd be worth it in the long run. Carbs are a drag for people who dont' ride often, or year-round, and that probably describes the majority of the Buddy demographic.

Another thing I'd like to see them address is the punch-outs in the legshield, they just bum me out when I see them. I realize they're great if you want to add a front rack (and the front rack looks great, too) but it'd look better if they were actual holes with color-matched plugs or something. They just look cheap. But, bviously if that's the second-biggest thing I can find to nitpick, they're doing pretty well, ha.

B.
The only way I can see adding all that and having comfort and design still saved is buying a maxi scooter. Like you said, no way you can have it all otherwise things would be compromised and changed.

I did a small conversion of Taiwan's money to our US dollar, a bubu with a carb was about $1,200 MSRP, and the new iBubu with fuel injection cost only about 100 dollars more. With Genuine importing thousands of bikes, I really doubt it would be necessary to raise to price if they got the buddy to be fuel injected. Then again, they'd probably just raise MSRP by 100 dollars like they and every other company does every year. I remember when the stella's MSRP was $3200 now 3600! Still cheaper than the PX-150 vespa offered a few years ago, can you believe people are selling them with 6-7 thousand miles for $5000? crazy!
chrissolo48

Post by chrissolo48 »

I'd like to see the deadlights converted to turn signals and/or running lights, and actual flip-out footpegs for the passenger.

A clock would be nice too.
Proud S.P.A.Z. Member since 09/08/08
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

A thick and strongly welded loop that is easy to access so I can thread a large metal chain through for secure locking.

There just isn't any good place on the Buddy to feed through my chainlink On-Guard lock. I've got permanent scrapes and bruises on my knuckles trying to feed the thing through the kickstand.
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

bgwss wrote:*dual disc front brakes
Your front brake isn't strong enough ALREADY? Mine could you buck you off in a second!

Rear disc would be sweet though, brake light modulator, and secure locking loop are
something I'd like to see as well. As much as I would want a larger fuel tank, the seat
would have to be EVEN HIGHER, which it is borderline high for me right now.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

siobhan wrote:A thick and strongly welded loop that is easy to access so I can thread a large metal chain through for secure locking.

There just isn't any good place on the Buddy to feed through my chainlink On-Guard lock. I've got permanent scrapes and bruises on my knuckles trying to feed the thing through the kickstand.
I've seen before on some scooters where at the bottom, a large loop is welded directly to the frame itself, looks like it would be used to lock it down.
Quo Vadimus

Post by Quo Vadimus »

jfrost2 wrote:
siobhan wrote:A thick and strongly welded loop that is easy to access so I can thread a large metal chain through for secure locking.

I've seen before on some scooters where at the bottom, a large loop is welded directly to the frame itself, looks like it would be used to lock it down.
Indeed, this is true on the Buddy 50s. Took me a while to figure out why you guys couldn't see the big, obvious loop I was talking about months back. :oops: Someday I'll borrow the SO's camera and make you all jealous.
TXscoot

Post by TXscoot »

New colors would be nice. How about White or Silver?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

TXscoot wrote:New colors would be nice. How about White or Silver?
White is done! They showed it at the dealer expo. It's a nice ivory white.
After the Black Jack pics here:
http://2strokebuzz.com/index.php?p=4809
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
djelliott

Post by djelliott »

I painted mine white. :D This was before I found out there was a white one coming out.
Attachments
photo-1.jpg
photo-1.jpg (130.69 KiB) Viewed 1792 times
Prima pipe
UNI filter
125 Main Jet
2000RPM Stall Spring
1500RPM Clutch Springs
Dr. Pulley Variator with 11 Gram Sliders
NCY Front Forks
Prima/NCY 161cc Big Bore kit With 150 Head
KS Power GY6 Performance Springs
NCY Secondary Shieve
DanteG

Post by DanteG »

A locking cover for the front well/"glovebox" would be great.

+1 on the backrest . I know that Sax Appeal makes a bag w/ a backrest ... any feedback on it ?

+ 1 on the rear disc brake ... although the current drum ain't half bad for a drum.

A general lowering of price for after-market accessories would also be nice ... it seems as though adding the word "scooter" to a product adds at least 30% to the price.
when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

HST
DanteG

djelliot ...

Post by DanteG »

djelliot ...

fantastic look ! Nicely done.
when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

HST
MAJensen

Post by MAJensen »

I would like a clock and trip meter I know its supposed to be sorta retro, but I would not mind a digital display. brighter running lights on the back also.
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

KRUSTYburger wrote:Stella body, G-Max 200 engine? comes in baby blue/putty white combo with brown leather saddle seat?

...Image
enzomatic

Post by enzomatic »

I think an adjustable rear shock should be standard, I would also like to see EFI standard ( I bet the small price difference is because Taiwan is likely subsidizing the transfer to EFI), and a rear disk brake.
Looking for ppl to ride with in LA.
TXscoot

Post by TXscoot »

djelliot - Very cool scoot. Nice job. I'm thinking of painting my old honda Elite either white or silver.
LisaLisa

Post by LisaLisa »

GMAX 250.
That's what I want.
Someday.
Det finns inte dåligt väder bara dåliga kläder.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

It was chilly riding home today and I thought a heated seat might be pretty good...

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
rgbwatcher

Post by rgbwatcher »

I got IT!

A speedometer that is accurate!

(anyone have any tips on how to make the stock spedo display the correct speed?)
Quo Vadimus

Post by Quo Vadimus »

rgbwatcher wrote:I got IT!

A speedometer that is accurate!
It does seem odd to me that everyone who buys a scooter just puts up with this universal (as I understand it) problem. Added to my list as well.
TVB

Post by TVB »

Quo Vadimus wrote:
rgbwatcher wrote:A speedometer that is accurate!
It does seem odd to me that everyone who buys a scooter just puts up with this universal (as I understand it) problem. Added to my list as well.
It's so that, when the police officer asks, "Do you know how fast you were going?" you can honestly reply "No, sir... not really."
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

It's a "Universal" standard for most scooters and motorcycles because speed can vary depending on the part of the surface area of the wheel being ridden on, it can never under read, so it's better and safer for people to over read the speed by 10%.

There's more too it, but it's been so long since this has been discussed and proof here and there shown, I just remember that explanation.
bounce

Post by bounce »

YES clock please! and ready socket to plug-in for deadlights. and yes, flip out foot pegs seem like a minor upgrade that wouldn't change the design.

i don't have too many qualms about the design... there ARE other scooters out there with design that could better accommodate passengers and luggage... but then it wouldn't be the buddy anymore.

love everything else :D
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

jfrost2 wrote:It's a "Universal" standard for most scooters and motorcycles because speed can vary depending on the part of the surface area of the wheel being ridden on, it can never under read, so it's better and safer for people to over read the speed by 10%.

There's more too it, but it's been so long since this has been discussed and proof here and there shown, I just remember that explanation.
There is a complicated physics-based explanation for this, but this pretty much sums it up (I redacted part of the quoted explanation that isn't relevant to this thread):
BuddyRaton wrote:Here is a quote from apost in another forum explaining why it is off for EVERY scooter and motorcycle.

The motorcycle tire is rounded in both directions - fore/aft and left/right. Because of this the rolling radius is constantly changing, depending on which part of the tire is in contact with the road at that time - the shoulder has a considerably shorter rolling radius compared to the crown. In addition, tires are sacrificial items and over time, wear across the tread, but differently and non-proportionally depending on rider, road and use. Tires also slightly INCREASE their rolling radius as speed of rotation increases and the g-force causes expansion, and at the same time DECREASE at the point of contact with the road due to loadpath pressures- the tire is NEVER round in use, more like a flattened oval.

Speedo accuracy is legislated. It is mandatory that a speedo never UNDER-reads. Therefore, in order to cater for `worst case` scenario - heavily worn tire on the shoulder of the heavily-worn tread, under-inflated at high speed and heavy load, the manufacturers build-in a margin over over-read. The reason the legislation DOESN'T stipulate a fixed, 100% accurate speedo reading is for this reading as the legislators understand what many here do not - operating a vehicle in a fluid environment with many different variables precludes the fitting of an entirely accurate device.

Follow the link if you want to see how fired up people can get about it!
http://burgmanusa.com/forums/viewtopic. ... eter+error
Scooter Hoot

Post by Scooter Hoot »

Yah, I keep thinking it would be fun to crack open the speedo case and put a different background in there. Maybe one that has "BMPH" on one side of the needle, and "MPH" on the other, kind of like cars do with mph and kph. Maybe put a custom design in there too. That, however, seems like a lot of work and likely for me to break something, so not yet.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Scooter Hoot wrote:Yah, I keep thinking it would be fun to crack open the speedo case and put a different background in there. Maybe one that has "BMPH" on one side of the needle, and "MPH" on the other, kind of like cars do with mph and kph. Maybe put a custom design in there too. That, however, seems like a lot of work and likely for me to break something, so not yet.
This has been suggested before… One owner even put an electrical tape template on the top of his speedo!
Quo Vadimus

Post by Quo Vadimus »

jfrost2 wrote:It's a "Universal" standard for most scooters and motorcycles because speed can vary depending on the part of the surface area of the wheel being ridden on...
I'm thinking there's a solution to this problem...

It only weighs 33 pounds and is 8"x8"x15"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inertial_navigation_system
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

ericalm wrote:
White is done! They showed it at the dealer expo. It's a nice ivory white.
That might be iffy color balance. IIRC, it's whiter than it looks in that photo.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

If I bought a white one (which I wouldn't) I'd also swap the interior panels out for some international color. Actually it would work with the sunset & pink Bud too. :D
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

JasonH wrote:Hey everybody. I thought we could start a list of what Genuine's customers would like to have in their upcoming models.

I for one would love to have an internal storage option for a laptop.
If not in the underseat compartment, perhaps some sort of well protected laptop slot in case of a slide. With the increasing of laptop popularity and the demographics most of us scooter folk fall into this could be a deciding factor against other models or brands.

Fitted preferably for a 17inch macbook :p

What are your ideas?
Heh, my laptop fits under the seat with TONS of leftover room, I don't know what your problem is :p What's that you say? An Asus EEEpc isn't what you had in mind when you were saying laptop?
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

Kaos wrote:Heh, my laptop fits under the seat with TONS of leftover room, I don't know what your problem is :p What's that you say? An Asus EEEpc isn't what you had in mind when you were saying laptop?
Oooo! Me likey. I've been looking at those netbooks but I'm holding off for now. Almost all come with XP which Microsoft will soon no longer support. So either they have to come up with more power than the Atom 270 to run Vista, or hopefully Windows 7 won't be typical bloatware. Then again, maybe I should just buy one and install Ubuntu. But, the longer I wait the better odds the new one's will come with more RAM and higher capacity solid state drives! Capacities that are actually useful in the real world that is (80GB+). In other words I'm working myself into a froth trying to justify holding off when I really want one bad NOW!
broke

Post by broke »

KRUSTYburger wrote:
bgwss wrote:*dual disc front brakes
Your front brake isn't strong enough ALREADY? Mine could you buck you off in a second!
Agreed.

On the stopping distance test during my M/C endorsement ride, I got the back wheel in the air stopping. That was crazy. Didn't fall though and scored 100% :-)
Want and need divide me. Mekka-lekka hi mekka hiney ho!
broke

Post by broke »

djelliott wrote:I painted mine white.
oh man... the checker striping you had on yours was cool... and it used to be ORANGE! ORANGE!
Want and need divide me. Mekka-lekka hi mekka hiney ho!
TVB

Post by TVB »

k1dude wrote:Oooo! Me likey. I've been looking at those netbooks but I'm holding off for now. Almost all come with XP which Microsoft will soon no longer support. So either they have to come up with more power than the Atom 270 to run Vista, or hopefully Windows 7 won't be typical bloatware. Then again, maybe I should just buy one and install Ubuntu.
I don't expect Win7 to be any lighter on the hardware requirements than Vista. Rather than waiting for MS to figure out how to support these machines, I'd just go with Linux (Ubuntu's a good choice).
k1dude wrote:But, the longer I wait the better odds the new one's will come with more RAM and higher capacity solid state drives! Capacities that are actually useful in the real world that is (80GB+). In other words I'm working myself into a froth trying to justify holding off when I really want one bad NOW!
Consider: There will always be a better and/or cheaper computer coming out later. But by waiting, you deprive yourself of having it to use in the meantime.