Would you do a 100% panel exchange?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Quo Vadimus

Would you do a 100% panel exchange?

Post by Quo Vadimus »

Here's my problem: I have certain knowledge that Sunset Orange is the best Buddy color. This is why I own a Sunset Orange 50.

When I graduate, I'd like to step up to a 125 or 150 as a present to myself. Can anyone tell me how long it would take and how many panels I'd be likely to splinter if I tried to exchange them all myself? I know a few out there have done some extensive paint jobs. Would it be less frustrating to buy a bus ticket to the nearest used 125 for sale and ride it home? I don't think I'm willing to pay $65/hour to have the shop do this for me, but if I'll end up with several broken panels anyway...

Alternatively, I just thought how great it would be to use that Krylon spray-on chalkboard, and write a new fantastic message on my scooter every week...
Eazy

Post by Eazy »

How long would it take?

2 hours if you're handy with a screwdriver and have a friend and a couple cans of YooHoo to help you along.

4 hours if it's just you and your trusty screwdriver

6 hours if you don't know the difference between a number 2 and number 3 Phillips screwdriver.

8 hours if you don't know what a Phillips head screwdriver is.

How many panels will you splinter?

If you're careful and mindful of what you're doing probably none. They're all just a matter of screws and metal spring clips.

The real SOB part to be mindful of that I remember is the part under the handlebars because you have to remove the bars/controls to get it off.
-Ian Follow Me
'08 Genuine Stella - "totaled"
'06 Honda Elite 80 - "bullet proof"
Eazy Scoots.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Not sure about the Buddy, but with a lot of scooters, you need to drop the entire front fork to change the fender. Even if you don't, you'd have to remove the headset to change the bottom half of it. That's a lot of cables/wires running through there, which are usually tricky to get back into place.

Other than the fender and the bottom half of the headset, I'd think it'd be fairly easy, but remember, you're going to have to do everything four times, taking it off one bike, taking it off the other, then putting both back together. No matter what, that's going to be a lot of work, and SOMETHING will go wrong.

Still, it's probably easier than getting a full set of matched panels from Genuine, ha.

Bb.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Also keep in mind that at least the fender on the 50 is different from the 125/150.

Do this when it's warm outside or you'll crack the panels on both bikes.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
Orange Guy

Re: Would you do a 100% panel exchange?

Post by Orange Guy »

Quo Vadimus wrote:Would it be less frustrating to buy a bus ticket to the nearest used 125 for sale and ride it home?

Yes, just do that.
I suppose I should be upset, even feel violated, but I'm not. No, in fact, I think this is a friendly message, like "Hey, wanna play?" and yes I want to play. I really really do.

Orange Guy, Inc.
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

Ooo and it already has whitewalls! :wink:
Quo Vadimus

Post by Quo Vadimus »

Lostmycage wrote:Also keep in mind that at least the fender on the 50 is different from the 125/150.
Oh yeah! I just learned that there really are size differences recently and had already forgotten about it. Thanks for the reminder!

Did I see somewhere that in 07 the headset sizes diverged as well? Anyone know?
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

07 and up the headset is larger, 06 had the smaller headsets.
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

illnoise wrote:Not sure about the Buddy, but with a lot of scooters, you need to drop the entire front fork to change the fender.
This is not necessary with the 06 Buddy 125, as I found when I installed the chromed fender last year. In fact, it was so easy, I was able to do it myself! I dunno about the rear half of the front fender, though.
ModBud #442
ScooterTrash

Post by ScooterTrash »

Front fork is easy to remove. As far as removing all of the panels goes, go slow. If it feels too hard it is, all the parts come off easy the right way.
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

Sorry, OT: Eazy, you get less than 60 mpg average on your scoot? Is that for the Stella or the Elite?