Buddy Security and Hooks

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

northgardener

Buddy Security and Hooks

Post by northgardener »

I'm looking to buy my first scooter, and the Buddy is about a 2.5 hour drive from me. My question is: what type of security hook (ala Vespa) does it have to attach a lock to, and does it have an underseat hook to hook a bag of groceries or shopping bag to? I really appreciate any responses.
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

I am not sure about the lock thing. There is a TON of room under the seat, and a hook in the front for groceries or the helmet. Under the seat there are loops, for hanging helmet when parked (the loop ring is on the inside of seat the helmet outside, but locked b/c hooked to inside) or you could loop bags through the rings under seat, and they could hang outside. I saw a guy laden with groceries here in cleveland with no issues.
okiejack

Post by okiejack »

It can take a disk brake lock. However, the Buddy is so light that a couple guys could lift it inot a pickup.

I suggest a cable funning through the back wheell and wrapped around a post high enough that it couldn't be lifted over it ... or through a bike rack.
DancingRuya

Post by DancingRuya »

However, the Buddy is so light that a couple guys could lift it inot a pickup.
Ack. This has been a concern of mine, as I'm an apartment dweller and my complex doesn't have garages - everyone parks right in front of their building. If I got a scooter then my concern is I have nowhere to tie it down so it wouldn't walk away in the night (or day). Any suggestions...?
macgawd

Post by macgawd »

Ack. This has been a concern of mine, as I'm an apartment dweller and my complex doesn't have garages - everyone parks right in front of their building. If I got a scooter then my concern is I have nowhere to tie it down so it wouldn't walk away in the night (or day). Any suggestions...?
I have the same concerns. I don't think that anyone would steal it, but I am also concerned about leaving my future Buddy out in a parking lot w/o any sort of security. My apartment has a screened-in back porch, and I am considering parking it in there (if the management allows).

Michael
DancingRuya

Post by DancingRuya »

My apartment has a screened-in back porch, and I am considering parking it in there (if the management allows).
That thought briefly crossed my mind as well. However, I live on the 2nd floor and just up & across from the leasing office (in fact, the unit directly below me is the show unit), so I'm pretty sure they'd notice if I were trying to drag a 125cc up & down the stairs :lol:
ChicagoMatt

Post by ChicagoMatt »

I read a suggestion either on this forum or another scooter board that I am considering. They suggested purchasing:

1. A large and heavy planting pot.
2. A bag of concrete mix.
3. A chain lock.

Basically, put the end of the chain in the pot and add the concrete. This will provide a solid place to lock up and a good theft deterrent. I'll let everyone know if I go ahead with it.
johnny_buddha

Post by johnny_buddha »

I live in a condo with assigned carport parking but fortunatly my assigned spot is next to a support pillar so I lock up mine to that. I use a wire cable and loop it through the rear shock. Mine doesn't fit through the stock wheel. In addition , I use a disc lock. If you're gonna get a disc lock, get one with a 5 mm pin as a 10 mm pin is too big.

Another option is a stronghold. Not sure if it's an option for you since you would probably need approval from the apartment management.
http://www.kryptonitelock.com/inetisscr ... em&pgrp=20
bobk

Post by bobk »

I also live in an apartment building and did some preemptive talking with the landlord.

The entrance near my apt is very wide, the opening to the building is off-center to the walkway, I noticed holes about every two feet along the base of the building (like the kind made when treating for termites)

I noticed the above facts, and keeping them in mind, mentioned to the landlord that I may be getting a scooter, and I was wondering where to park it, hey, would right here, out of the way, be alright? She said "I guess it would, do you have some way to lock it?" I replied that the steering locks, so I guess it would be alright.

I then used her concern for the bikes safety as the go-ahead to put one of those lead anchors in one of the holes and put an eye in it. Now I know that if someone were to unscrew the eye, they could take off with the bike, but as it is connected to the bike when they could actually do this, they would have to rotate the bike in the process, and at that point they deserve something for their troubles. This solution was non-destructive to the building (as the hole was already there along with many many more) and completely removable. In fact at one point something like six month later she alluded to wanting to put something near it, but was concerned about being too close to the bike. I simply said, go right ahead, I will unscrew the anchor and put it into that hole over there. She acted astonished. I pointed out that the fitting was non-destructive and temporary, that I would NEVER do something destructive or permanent to her building. She had that astonished look again, and said "well I will probably not be doing that for some time, so don't move it yet, but I will let you know" (I knew she was testing me)

Act nice, look the place over first, (before you get the scooter) and pick out a couple of places that you can make work, act concerned for their interests, along with your fellow tenants. Point out that you are thinking of those places out of security interests and in hope of avoiding an eyesore / inconvenience to the fellow tenants. You will find 9 times out of 10 that taking their interests first, will so impress them that you will be rewarded with your interests.