New here

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

DancingRuya

New here

Post by DancingRuya »

Hi there

I found this group/site via the Genuine Scooter site. I'm considering a Buddy, as my main vehicle right now is a minivan - couple that with the climbing price of gas & you can probably figure why I'm considering something more economical :) I've never ever driven a scooter before so I'm a bit skeered, but thinking of trying to find a location that maybe rents them for a day or 1/2 day and go to a parking lot where I could putter around & maybe get a feel for it.

Also wanted to say that I've been reading the threads (lots of good info for a newbie like me!) and wanted to say re: helmets -- please wear them. I'm sure this newbie is probably preaching to the choir, but I work for neurosurgeons and believe me, I've read my share of hospital notes on motorcycle accidents (not many scooters where I live). Those who're involved in an accident with no helmet (my state, Texas, doesn't require them) 9 times out of 10 don't make it. However (depending on the circumstances) I've noticed that the riders who wore a helmet usually at least have a fighting chance. We only get one brain - protect it! :)
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Re: New here

Post by jrsjr »

DancingRuya wrote:I'm considering a Buddy... I've never ever driven a scooter before so I'm a bit skeered...
Hi DancingRuya,

Welcome to ModernBuddy. We are glad you're here. If you've never ever driven a scooter before, the Buddy is totally the right scooter for you. The right word for the Buddy is "easy." The Buddy's ergonomics are easy for folks of differing heights. The Buddy is easy to balance at low speed. It can easily keep up with traffic. It's easy on the gas.

As for being a "bit skeered," That's a Good Thing! The worst thing on a bike is complacency. So hold that thought while you build your riding skills. Have you heard about MSF courses and stuff like that?
golfingirl

Post by golfingirl »

DancingRuya,

Hey, welcome to Buddy-ville. It's never a bad thing to reinforce to importance of helmets. I'm a RN who has spent her time working in trauma and head injuries are ugly. Bones heal. Brains don't. I bought a full face. After all, according to the Proficient Motorcyclist, 40% of all head injuries for 2 wheel lovers occurs on the face and jaw area. I hope I quoted that correctly.

I, too, am new to the scooter world and have bought myself a Buddy based on reviews and this forum certainly reinforced what an easy and fun scooter the Buddy is. In fact, I just picked up my new Buddy on Friday and it is awesome. I'm pretty chicken, but I'm taking my time and building confidence. I plan on taking the MSF course to help keep me safe. In the meantime, I'm relishing riding on the side streets in my neighbourhood and practicing tight turns and quick stops in a vacant parking lot close to my home. I'm afraid I may be addicted. :wha: The Buddy is so easy to use. Very peppy, but quick, reliable, solid feeling brakes. My favourite feature of the Buddy is how amazingly stable it is. I can stop without putting my foot down it is sooo well balanced. That sure is a confidence builder. Definitely try one out. Soon, you'll have an addiction too! :mrgreen:
Laura
DancingRuya

Re: New here

Post by DancingRuya »

Have you heard about MSF courses and stuff like that?
I have actually & there are MSF courses offered here. None scooter specific, but I don't think they'd keep me out just for that (especially since I'm looking at the 125cc). I initially considered a small motorcycle, but the thought of changing gears spooks me. I could probably learn, but an automatic sounds much better. :) Texas doesn't require helmets and I regularly see folks wearing either no helmet at all or helmets with no face protection (uh, hello - bugs, ugh). A full face helmet would be a given for me.

I'm crunching numbers right now, and I'm curious if in general you can negotiate less than MSRP at most dealers (like when buying a car)? Also, it doesn't say on the website, but could anyone either tell me roughly what the racks, etc. cost, or point me to a site that has prices on it - just so I can get an idea?
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

I guess, you can try negotiate , the worst they can say is no. but with such a hot product, I doubt they would. Maybe they can throw in a helmet or something?
punkelf

Don't be "that guy"

Post by punkelf »

DancingRuya wrote:[ Texas doesn't require helmets and I regularly see folks wearing either no helmet at all or helmets with no face protection (uh, hello - bugs, ugh). A full face helmet would be a given for me.
yeah, I was in San Antonio over Thanksgiving and saw a guy in flip-flops, shorts, tank-top, and no helmet, riding what had to have been at least a 1200cc sportbike, WHILE TALKING ON A CELLPHONE. If I was a crueler person I would have laughed.
"It's a fool that looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." - Ulysses Everett McGill

www.honkytonkdragon.blogspot.com
golfingirl

Post by golfingirl »

peabody99 wrote:I guess, you can try negotiate , the worst they can say is no. but with such a hot product, I doubt they would. Maybe they can throw in a helmet or something?
I agree! There was no negotiating on the MSRP or anything else for that matter when it came to my scooter. I was seriously looking at the Yamaha Vino but they were charging $600 over MSRP! Ridiculous! That made it significantly more expensive than the Buddy. When they jack up the price like that, I just had to walk away. It turned me off even negotiating a price. :evil: So I gladly paid the MSRP for my Buddy with nothing thrown in but a Tshirt! :goofy: She was worth it! :wink:
Laura
dahuffy

Post by dahuffy »

golfingirl wrote:
peabody99 wrote:I guess, you can try negotiate , the worst they can say is no. but with such a hot product, I doubt they would. Maybe they can throw in a helmet or something?
I agree! There was no negotiating on the MSRP or anything else for that matter when it came to my scooter. I was seriously looking at the Yamaha Vino but they were charging $600 over MSRP! Ridiculous! That made it significantly more expensive than the Buddy. When they jack up the price like that, I just had to walk away. It turned me off even negotiating a price. :evil: So I gladly paid the MSRP for my Buddy with nothing thrown in but a Tshirt! :goofy: She was worth it! :wink:
I paid $2700.00 each for mine and DH's. They threw in a key fob and license plate frame. I would have gotten them regardless.
As far as taking MSF class,you might want to check in your area to see if they allow scooters,I've read on some boards that they don't. I was able to use mine without any problem here in OKCity.
"Cinderella is proof that a pair of shoes can change your life"
sparty

Post by sparty »

After the first night of MSF.. I finally realized that I won't get my road test waiver until a month later. I now have a brandy new Buddy sitting in my lot and I can't take it out for a month. What the heck is a learner permit good for, if someone has to follow me at all time? :x I hate NY :cry:
DancingRuya

Re: Don't be "that guy"

Post by DancingRuya »

yeah, I was in San Antonio over Thanksgiving and saw a guy in flip-flops, shorts, tank-top, and no helmet, riding what had to have been at least a 1200cc sportbike, WHILE TALKING ON A CELLPHONE.
Yep, I live in S.A. & unfortunately I have to say I've witnessed the same (at a stoplight, but still...). Only saw it once, but I thought OMG.
Shellee

Post by Shellee »

sparty wrote:What the heck is a learner permit good for, if someone has to follow me at all time? :x I hate NY :cry:
What area of NY are you in? It might not be that hard to find a riding group in your area who will ride with you, help you practice, etc. Most scooterists are pretty nice people. They've all been in your situation, so they know how you feel.
~ Shellee
Genuine Buddy 170
www.scooterdiva.com