Windshield

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ivyall

Windshield

Post by ivyall »

I just got a medium sized windshield on my buddy. The dealer asked me if I planned on driving over 45 mph and told me that a customer was driving around 60 with a windshield on her buddy and had some sort of accident. I have noticed my buddy handles a bit differently but now I'm afraid to drive over 45! Does anyone out there have any information? I really like the wind block the shield provides but surely don't want to have an accident.

:?:
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

This topic was discussed here:
viewtopic.php?t=684

I'm not sure if the original link to the scooterbbs.com works anymore.

It was a bad accident, for sure. The main lesson I gained from it though was to wear more protective foot gear, not sneakers, and highway onramps are very dangerous places for scooters.

This is the first I've heard of a dealer specifically blaming the windshield for what happened and stating a specific maximum safe speed.

I have no windshield or any expertise in this matter myself, but it sounds to me like he is trying to limit his own liability.

Others with windshields might be more help in answering your question as stated.
Kevin
AYPWIP?
rajron

Post by rajron »

I run with a short windshield on my Buddy 125 and love it, I think it makes the bike more stable at speed.
My wife has a full windshield on her People 150 and loves the full size because she is completely protected from the elements at times she mentions that she has been pushed around by the wind but never to the point of a crash.
Catalyst

Post by Catalyst »

I've got the largest, and the only time it causes a problem for me is if there's enough of a wind to push me around a bit. It takes a little more muscle to hang onto things, but overall it isn't too bad. The fastest I can go though is only 45mph. I still have more problems with sand on the road than with wind/windshield.

Outside of Wind, I don't see how a windshield could cause an accident itself, unless you couldn't see through it.

I was wishing for a windshield wiper the one morning I went to get some shopping done before the snow started, and it started right as I went out that morning instead of waiting til the evening like the weatherman said it would.

On edit: I don't take the scooter out in high winds, or winds that I think are strong enough to really push me around. I probably should have said that first, I guess. But, that doesn't help when the wind picks up while you're out and about.

I slow down, if I have to, until the gusts are over, and then speed back up until I see that things are going to happen, so I back back off just a little, and ride just under the speed that I'm having problems with.

It does seem to help. Also, getting off of open road, and in amongst buildings can also help.
bwilms

Post by bwilms »

Just be careful and ride smart. Like has been said before, if the wind is particularly blustery don't scoot or take lower speeds.

I have the small windshield and I love it. With it installed, I've taken the Buddy to about 65 MPH with no issues and agree that it seems to increase the stability, though I am not taking on any significant winds.
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

I have a tall windshield cut down. Even at full size, I have ridden full throttle (65-72mph indicated) many miles with no problems. Actually, the shield makes riding at that speed much more comfortable. If it's really windy, especially with high gusts, I don't ride.
BoneGirl

Full windshield

Post by BoneGirl »

My husband and I both have the tall Buddy windshields. Have been riding with them on since Fall with no problems whatsoever. We have ridden 2-lane highways at 65mph frequently. Sometimes you notice a crosswind on a flat open road but not enough to have to change anything or have a death grip on the handlebars. It's also fun when you have a wind from behind and you feel the Buddy push forward. ZOOOOM!!!

Every geographic area is going to have different winds, land layouts and riding conditions. I think how the windshields work for you will depend on these variables. :)
Catalyst

Post by Catalyst »

The winds are starting to pick up here on the high plains, at the base of the mountains.

I've been learning just how much wind I can/should take, and how much is too much. Although, today, it was weird. I had problems at 20mph, and no problems at 30mph. I usually have alternate routes if the wind is just high enough to begin to push me around, that way I spend less time in a cross wind, and more time with it either head on or from behind.
Elm Creek Smith

Post by Elm Creek Smith »

Catalyst wrote:The winds are starting to pick up here on the high plains, at the base of the mountains.

I've been learning just how much wind I can/should take, and how much is too much. Although, today, it was weird. I had problems at 20mph, and no problems at 30mph. I usually have alternate routes if the wind is just high enough to begin to push me around, that way I spend less time in a cross wind, and more time with it either head on or from behind.
When I lived on Kwajalein on Fort Carson, the wind picked my windshieldless Honda motorcycle up and dropped it on the patio...twice. On occasion, we had winds faster than the Budd will go! The day the wind dropped my Honda, the airfield on Carson clocked 100 mph winds. Be careful of the wind.

ECS
Yes, that is my scooter.
Yes, I wear a helmet and a FIRSTGEAR armored jacket.
No, I'm not embarrassed to be seen riding it.
Yes, that is an NRA sticker on the fender.

"I aim to misbehave."
rajron

Post by rajron »

Kwajalein on Fort Carson – Where is that? Is it that little spec in the middle of the Pacific?
Catalyst

Post by Catalyst »

I wouldn't ride in that kind of wind no matter what. I'd question riding a car in that kind of wind! LOL (Speaking of, we just sold our JEEP, WOOOOHOOOOO! Cheap transport all the way now! :) )

I just wanted to update my experiences with wind and the windshield, as the summer winds are really starting to pick up out here on the high planes. I had no choice but to ride today, I have run to the commissary 3 times, and gone to the middle school twice (pick up youngest from testing, as well as dropping her off, etc.)

But....

I've only seen one motorcycle and one pocket rocket out today besides myself, and the wind was high enough to make things a little squirrely for me, but not bad, I'm getting better at it. The guy on the pocket rocket though was driving in the left turn lane and he was aaaaallllll ooooooover the place!

I was up at 03:00 this morning just to bring my Buddy inside the fence to protect it from being knocked over by the wind.

I haven't checked the wind speeds for today, but the lack of motorcycles out and about tells me that it's fairly high today. Haven't heard the house windows rattling yet, but I haven't been home much.

I will say this, heading east on Nelson was fun! I felt like I was getting hit from teh side, but I managed to hold a pretty straight line. Straight enough that traffic didn't suddenly slow down and back away from me.

The windshield itself seems not to play that big a role in the whole story. (Sorry, got side tracked, I"m very very busy today and can't stay long) If you can hang onto the handlebars and stop it from being ripped out of your hands if the wind catches the shield just right, then you're fine. For the most part, just avoid winds that will push you off the road, windshield or not.

:)

On Edit: 12-18mph. Not too bad. Not sure what the top end is for me, but I'm doing this gradually. I've boogered up my Buddy a bit much already. :cry:
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I have a theory that the way the weight is distributed on a Buddy greatly alters its handling in windy situations.

This is unresearched and purely based on riding the Buddy and my LX150 (which is approx. the same weight) and observing how the two behaved when the wife and I were out riding on a pretty gusty day. I could be totally off. The Buddy feels as if it has a low center of gravity, with most of the weight low and towards the rear (engine area). This is why it tilts so easily and why many riders say it feels very light. That low center acts as a pivot point... great for serious cornering. In a heavy wind from either side (or strong gusts), especially with a relatively lightweight rider (say, <150lbs.), the Buddy can be hard to control for this same reason. It's the Weeble effect.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Keys

Post by Keys »

The "Weebles Scooter Club"....I kinda like it...it could grow on me.

--Keys 8)
"Life without music would Bb"
Elm Creek Smith

rajron wrote:Kwajalein on Fort Carson – Where is that? Is it that little spec in the middle of the Pacific?
Kwajalein Drive on Fort Carson, Colorado. I lived in one of the two story duplexes on the south side of the street '85-'86 when I was in the 4th Infantry Division and HQ, Fort Carson. Google Earth it if you must.

ECS
Yes, that is my scooter.

"I aim to misbehave."
paige

Post by paige »

I am totally signing up for that right now. "They weeble and they wobble but they don't fall down!" La la la.
Elm Creek Smith

Justin at Tulsa Scooters ordered some small windshields today. I have dibs on one and will have them put it on when I take the Budd in for an oil change this week!

(I need something to keep me from feeling like the airbrake on an F-15.)

ECS
Yes, that is my scooter.

"I aim to misbehave."
slowgo

Post by slowgo »

Has anyone heard anything about when Genuine will release a flyscreen/windshield that will fit the 07's? The 06 windshields will not fit the larger headlight. I tried that misfit the other day.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

paige wrote:I am totally signing up for that right now. "They weeble and they wobble but they don't fall down!" La la la.
Yeah, that's the problem with calling it the Weeble Effect; Buddys will fall down. :(
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
EBee

Post by EBee »

I have the short windscreen and I LOOOOOOVE it. Riding without one before I got it, I was afraid to get up to 45 cos I felt like I was going to blow off the scoot. (I'm vertically challenged at 5'2"). The windscreen not only cut down on the wind but made it warmer to ride as well. I rode the other day while a storm front was beginning to come in and it got rather breezy/gusty at several points...I don't think the windscreen caused any problems at all, and I'm a newbie.

And I like the Weebls club name idea. :goofy: We could sure have some fun with that concept to be sure!
"If everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane."--Steven Wright
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

slowgo wrote:Has anyone heard anything about when Genuine will release a flyscreen/windshield that will fit the 07's? The 06 windshields will not fit the larger headlight. I tried that misfit the other day.
Try the "medium" sized universal windshield made by Prima. It doesn't have a cut-out for the light, so it should work.
ModBud #442
Elm Creek Smith

ericalm wrote:
paige wrote:I am totally signing up for that right now. "They weeble and they wobble but they don't fall down!" La la la.
Yeah, that's the problem with calling it the Weeble Effect; Buddys will fall down. :(
Mine fell down without wind or a windshield! Of course, sand had something to do with it.

ECS
Yes, that is my scooter.

"I aim to misbehave."
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

I have the tall windscreen. the only reason I got it was b/c I was taking the safety class late last Oct and it was a long, cold ride to get to the training site. I fell in love with how it protects from the cold, and the unexpected benifit of protecting the hands (Large screen). I was not at all happy about the accident Renae had (and don't know of the screen was 100 % responsible as the winds were very strong that week-maybe any light bike could have been felled. I could barely hold the unscreened Buddy up during stops-so I garaged him).

Anyway I had the oppurtunity this week to ride my screened Buddy and the spouses unscreened one. With warmer temps, I prefer riding w/o the large screen (have not tried the others) as I like feeling the elements. With warmer temps I expect to be doing greater distances at higher speeds, so I will remove it-does anyone have any thoughts on leaving the hardware and just removing the plexiglass? (I like how the hardware repotioned the mirrors, plus it would just be easier to reinstall next fall).

Finally, by accident, I had the tall screened Buddy up to over 60 mph- I had no idea as I felt no air on my head or chest. The day was not at all windy so it was fine. Yet as I mentioned, I rode both Buddys on a stormier day this week and the one with out the screen was a lot easier to handle in cross gusts that the screened one...it really suprised me.
GenuineSlacker

Post by GenuineSlacker »

Peabody, this may be slightly off of what you were saying, but I just got my tall screen from scomo and I BELIEVE that they sent me the wrong metal brackets. Any chance of some pictures to figure it out?
"Angels who are forced from heaven have no choice but to become demons." - Vicious
weebl

Post by weebl »

Man, I didn't realize there was an entired effect named after me!

Personally I just think flyscreens look too goofy.
Drumwoulf

Tall windshield? Not me... IMO that's nuts!

Post by Drumwoulf »

As someone who's been riding motorbikes for 27 years, I gotta say that I would absolutely never ride with a windshield that I can't look over.!Riding at night, in fog, or rain, it's my belief that any windshield that's higher than my nose has built-in visibility problems that make it inherently dangerous!
And then besides the better vision thing, the wind coming over the top of a windshield is what blows rain water offa your helmets face shield... (What, you don't use eye protection? -Get a car..!)

If you want a complete pocket of still air so badly that you're willing to risk having a winshield that doesn't allow you to ride safely in sometimes unexpected weather conditions, perhaps you should consider riding a different kind of vehicle? -One you can get inside of...

drummer
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

Has anyone seen any short smoked windshields for the Buddy, something along the lines of the Blur's windshield? I saw a pic of someone's Buddy with one and now I can't seem to find it.
DO3

Post by DO3 »

For $10 you could probably buy some automotive window tint and put that on the Genuine shorty. The contours on the short screen don't look too bad to manage.

To add a question to the windscreen discussion. When I ride without a helmet (doesn't happen often, don't judge me :wink: ) and get to 45+ mph it feels difficult breath normally. It's like there is a little vacuum or dead air between me and the windshield. Anyone else ever notice this? More reason to wear the lid I guess.

That being said, I still wouldn't take the shorty off. I hate the looks of it as well but it really does transform the bike at higher speeds, which is 75% of my riding. It feels more stabile and does a much better job of cutting through the air.
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

DO3 wrote:For $10 you could probably buy some automotive window tint and put that on the Genuine shorty. The contours on the short screen don't look too bad to manage.
Very true, thanks for the suggestion. Only thing is, the smoked one I saw was shaped a bit differently from the normal Buddy windshield. thanks again though, I may just end up doing that. Do you know who has the best price for the short windshield?
Shellee

Post by Shellee »

slowgo wrote:Has anyone heard anything about when Genuine will release a flyscreen/windshield that will fit the 07's? The 06 windshields will not fit the larger headlight. I tried that misfit the other day.
They have just come out with a windshield for the '07's. Check with your dealer... my dealer has already put in his order for them.
~ Shellee
Genuine Buddy 170
www.scooterdiva.com