Stella brakes

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Cheshire

Stella brakes

Post by Cheshire »

I'm assuming Stella's rear brake is a foot pedal? I can't find any pictures of the setup for a Stella, but a manual posted here showed a diagram that looked like a foot pedal for rear brake.

If that's the case, which side is it on? How easy would it be to make it a handbrake, or at least LEFT foot brake?
alienmeatsack

Post by alienmeatsack »

That is correct. The rear brake is a pedal, located on the floorboard on the right.

Putting it on the left could be doable, but would require you to do some cutting and make brackets to hold the mechanism in place.

Making it a handbrake would not really be possible since there is a clutch on the left and the front brake on the right. Unless you moved one of those to the floor.
Dead Bunny SC | Tumblr: spazscooter | Twitter: @SPAZ_Scooter | Twitter: @DeadBunnySC
email: spazscooter@gmail.com
alienmeatsack

Post by alienmeatsack »

FWIW, here's the service manual page on the rear brake pedal. If I think abut it when I get home, I'll take some pics of mine that don't suck like the ones on this page so you can see.

Any reason you want to mess with perfection?
Dead Bunny SC | Tumblr: spazscooter | Twitter: @SPAZ_Scooter | Twitter: @DeadBunnySC
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

How easy is it to push and hold the pedal, both at a stop and in an emergency?

My only reason to screw around with perfectly good engineering is my right foot is half-paralyzed: I can't turn my foot outward and I can't push down with the ball of my foot. I can use my heel or my foot as a whole, though. (Leg brace that immobilizes my ankle with rigid piece that runs under my whole foot...have to wear it when bicycling to keep my foot on the pedal.)
alienmeatsack

Post by alienmeatsack »

It's not too difficult to push down, but I am not you so I don't know how much pressure you can physically apply. I always use the ball of my foot, but I'd imagine if you didn't have big feet you might be able to use your foot closer to the heel.

Best I can tell, swapping it to the other side would involve cutting a new hole, then adding a new mount since the connectors are on the right side. If you had a good welder, you could technically have it done without too much trouble. Then you'd just have to reroute the cable itself to the other side at that point.

I don't use the rear brake near as much as the front. I ease it on when stopping but use the front for the majority of the stopping power. When stopped, I am usually holding the front to keep me in place. I think the front accounts for around 70% of your stopping power anyway.

If I think about it when I get home, I'll take some pics to show it's placement etc.
Roose Hurro

Stop This...

Post by Roose Hurro »

That would be my concern with a Stella, since I also have trouble with my right leg... one of the reasons a scooter is more likely in my future than a motorcycle. Though I have checked out some companies that make centrifical clutches for motorcycles, to eliminate the need for a clutch, and kits to allow the rear brake to be moved from right foot to left hand operation. I'd love to fit something like that to a larger engined Stella, or have it made that way from the factory... I'd really like the freedom to select gears, without the bother of a clutch, and with the rear brake under my left hand. That would be ideal, for me. And... no belt to change!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eazy

Post by Eazy »

It really doesn't take much force.

especially if you but your heel on the middle of the floor board (it's elevated) and push down.

the rear brake is also really touchy. doesn't take much to lock up the rear tire.
-Ian Follow Me
'08 Genuine Stella - "totaled"
'06 Honda Elite 80 - "bullet proof"
Eazy Scoots.
Dooglas

Re: Stop This...

Post by Dooglas »

Roose Hurro wrote: I have checked out some companies that make centrifical clutches for motorcycles, to eliminate the need for a clutch, and kits to allow the rear brake to be moved from right foot to left hand operation. I'd love to fit something like that to a larger engined Stella, or have it made that way from the factory... I'd really like the freedom to select gears, without the bother of a clutch, and with the rear brake under my left hand. That would be ideal, for me. And... no belt to change!
I suppose anything is possible, but my guess would be that a complete custom redesign of the controls and modifications to the engine/transmission to incorporate a centrifical clutch are going to be a pretty big deal (i.e. labor intensive and expensive). Vespa has pretty much already done the job for you - hand brakes, no clutch, larger engine, metal body, fuel injection, high quality build, etc. The CVT on the 250 GTS is well matched to the engine so that is really not a compromise IMO. In fact, the GTS is capable of things no Stella or PX150 ever thought of.
alienmeatsack

Post by alienmeatsack »

I talked briefly with a guy this weekend at the rally who had moved the brake to the left for someone for similar reasons on a PX150. He just made a bracket that mounted to the floor on the right side, cut a hole for the pedal, and moved the brake cables.

So it can be done. Just a matter of if you really want to do it or find an alternative.
Sl,ut4

Post by Sl,ut4 »

Check this out!
Pushin the envelope!

1965 VBB 5 Port
Ported and matched Pinasco 184/ WORB5 race cut/ Boyesen Reeds/ Cut reed block/ Malossi 23-64 Upgear/ T5 Fourth/ Disk brake swap/ Ducatti CDI/ Quattrini Ignition/ S1's/ NGK/ B9HS.
01.5 S4 Sedan. Blk/Blk
STGII+ Drivin Slideways!
vegetable

Post by vegetable »

thats what I wanna get some day :oops:
Cheers VegetAblE
(A)//(E)
Ten Inch Scooter Crew
alienmeatsack

Post by alienmeatsack »

Yeah, me too. I am not a fan of drum style brakes. Disc is the way to go :D
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

wait.. the stella has a rear disc brake?
Shane Wilson

Post by Shane Wilson »

The Stella's stock rear brake is a drum.
monza

Post by monza »

alienmeatsack wrote:Yeah, me too. I am not a fan of drum style brakes. Disc is the way to go :D
drum is fine on the back, but not on the front. with a stella (or P) I dont think you would get much more braking from the rear unless you seriously beef up the front suspension since they dive so much...the rear just doesnt have the friction between tire and pavement that the front has.
gearhead wrote:wait.. the stella has a rear disc brake?
that sweet looking disc setup is from SIP. Its about $300-$400 (without UPS shipping which is about $100 from Germany). It is really sexy looking in person
-Paul O.
63 VNB "125 Super"
62 Mini Cooper 1100
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

my honda has drum on both front and back. it's not too bad.