Manual Transmission VERSUS Automatic Transmission

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ScooterGuyInSeattle

Manual Transmission VERSUS Automatic Transmission

Post by ScooterGuyInSeattle »

I'm a brand new member, so please, bear with me...

I'm a few months away from buying a scooter, and my decision has come down to either a Stella (150cc) or a Buddy (125cc, or maybe the 150cc). I've measured the relative pros and cons of both models by listening to the Just Gotta Scoot podcasts and listening to owners of both, along with poking around the local dealership.

The biggest factor at this point is if I want to go manual (Stella) or automatic (Buddy). This will be my first scooter (and my first "bike", as I have never dabbled in motorcycles). I have been told by some folks that first-timers should ALWAYS go "automatic" first, and THEN consider maybe getting a manual shifting scooter. Others tell me that while learning how to shift a scooter will be a PITA, it's totally doable, and that if I want the Stella, I shouldn't let it get in the way of buying one.

Is shifting a big enough PITA to dictate not getting a Stella? I learned how to drive a car by driving a stick shift, which wasn't such a big deal. I'm leaning towards a Stella, but I'd hate to start off on something I can't handle.

Thanks!
Kurt
Dealer

Post by Kurt »

Here in New York you need a motorcycle license to ride a Stella. If you take the MSF class you will be taught on a motorcycle with a manual transmission. You don't do much shifting in the class, but there will be some.

When I first rode a Stella I was a bit sloppy coming off the clutch, especially at stop lights. After one impressive wheelie across an intersection I learned to be much more gentle on the throttle while I let out the clutch.

An automatic transmission is much easier to learn to ride, but if you have experience with a manual shift car it's really not that much different.

Regardless of whether you go with a Stella or a Buddy you will wind up really loving your scooter. Just ask anyone here!
<a href="http://urbanvillagescooters.com">Urban Village Scooters</a>
700 South Clinton Ave.
Rochester, NY 14620
585-643-5540
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

I'd go for the Buddy, the stella is much nicer in looks and finish, but for a first time rider, a automatic will be easier. Auto or manual, both will require a motorcycle permit to ride. In the MSF class I took, we did tons of shifting in the second day, we got into 4th gear max out of 6 gears, I dunno if thats just my class though since the guy liked to change things a bit to make them harder.

Taking the MSF is a great idea. Sign up for a MSF class in the spring, register early when they open up or else these classes fill quick! MSF is usually a 2-3 day class, day one being instructions on how to ride, and how to be safe, and then day 2 and 3 riding a actual motorcycle. Learning to shift is easy, but some people prefer not to constantly keep shifting gears, they just want twist and go. You might find out you want a stella then, or even a actual motorcycle. Remember though a motorcycle is modern technology, while a stella is made with tech from the 1960-70's even though the actual bike may have been built in 08/09. Things can go wrong because of the reliability of vintage bikes.
kazoo

Post by kazoo »

Okay, now kazoo is getting very angry.

Enough Bashing on the Stella: What goes wrong with them? Shifting: Some people will argue that you have more control over the machine.

Break downs: I guess if the bike has to be your main form of transportation and having a cable break once or twice a year might be a problem. But after the first time it happens I'll bet you learn how to thread another one in no time flat. Or maybe its the extra 15 minutes of pulling the plug and reinstalling a new one that would be a problem for you. What else is there to deter people from buying one? Huh, huh. What so wrong with getting you hands greasy? You got something against grease? Huh Huh, do ya? I come from a long line of grease . . .
n2tattoos

Post by n2tattoos »

fwiw, you might also think about what kind of riding you plan to do. i got an auto cuz most of my riding is on city streets. with the traffic, i'd be constantly riding the clutch.
Shane Wilson

Post by Shane Wilson »

I had a Buddy and now I'm on a Stella.

Most of my riding is in town.

Shifting is not a problem.

In fact, I feel like it keeps me slightly more 'aware' of riding the bike. With the automatic I felt like it was easier to zone out because the bike didn't require much from me other than twisting the throttle.

I'm not bashing the Stella, but it does require more attention than the Buddy did, but that's part of the reason I got it.
PeterC

Manual vs. Automatic

Post by PeterC »

My first scooter, a 1954 NSU/Lambretta, was a 3-speed manual, simply because most, if not all, scooters back in the '50s were manual. I did a couple of days of practicing in the parking lot before I ventured out on the road. I've had both auto (Kymco People 50 and Honda Elite 80) scooters and manual (Lambretta, Vespa and Stella) scooters, and they're all good. If, as mentioned before, most of your riding is in city traffic, you'll probably be happier with an automatic. I don't have to deal with heavy traffic issues where I live, and I enjoy going through the gears.
Jackiemancini

Post by Jackiemancini »

Get a Stella, go for it!

I was brand new on a scooter when I got my buddy 125, which I only got because the Stella factory was shut down. I loved my buddy, but now that I ride a Stella there is NO going back to an automatic scooter.

Manual is fun, albeit a challenge, but I can NOT drive stick shift in a car (especially up a hill) and I mastered Stella shifting in a few days of parking lot practice.

I love my stella SO much, and I've learned a lot about maintenance since I've had it. Plus I just feel safer behind a metal legshield, even if that's dumb. The scooter feels heavier and more substantial than my buddy did, without a noticeable difference in gas mileage.

DO IT!
vegetable

Post by vegetable »

Depends on what your looking for !
can you turn a wrench does 2 stroke smoke give ya chubby ?
I almost bought a TNG scoot but a buddy told me I be happier W/a stella
now majorly tuned & faster than poo I'm glad I got the Stella
anything thing that fits the P series vespa will fit the stella (almost)
my only complaint about my car is its an automatic
just my $.02
Cheers VegetAblE
(A)//(E)
Ten Inch Scooter Crew
sled

Post by sled »

Stella =1964 Chevrolet with "three on the tree"
Buddy = 2008 Buick Park Avenue.

Both are great scooters but totally different. Unless you have real coordination problems, the Stella manual is easy to learn.
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

if you know how to drive manual in a car, a stella is no problem at all
Kurt
Dealer

Post by Kurt »

It helps to have the cables correctly adjusted.
<a href="http://urbanvillagescooters.com">Urban Village Scooters</a>
700 South Clinton Ave.
Rochester, NY 14620
585-643-5540
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

Kurt wrote:It helps to have the cables correctly adjusted.
+1