Shore to Sky - Florida Style! March 21, 2009

Info on scooter gatherings of all types & sizes

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

DennisD

Shore to Sky - Florida Style! March 21, 2009

Post by DennisD »

RIDE - MARCH 21, 2009 - SHORE TO SKY, FLORIDA STYLE!

Meet at the Visitor Center, north end of the 3 mile bridge (17th Avenue), departure at 9AM. The ride will go across the Pensacola Bay Bridge, Pensacola Beach Bridge($1.00 toll), to Navarre Beach, back across the Navarre Bridge (no toll), Hwy 87 to Hwy 90, right on hwy 90 to the great metropolitan area of Mossy Head and then north around and about to Britton Hill. After exposure to the high elevation of Britton Hill (highest point in Florida, 345ft!) those who have not succumbed to elevation sickness will continue north to Florala for a lunch stop. The return will visit the nationally known tourist areas of Oak Grove, Cannon Town, Nubbin Ridge and others on the way back to Pensacola. This is, admittedly, a long ride, somewhere around 200 miles, give or take. I expect arrival in Pensacola at the Tom Thumb on Scenic at 9 Mile Road to be late afternoon. If you're ready for a long fun ride that's guaranteed to leave you with monkey butt , be there! Sorry if you can't make this date, it is the only open one I have and I've been wanting to do this ride for a while. Hope its ok for you too. Yes, there will be photo ops and gas stops and breaks.
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

Good idea posting it here, I didn't even think of that.

Anyways, I will be tagging along for a little while, at least through Navarre or Crestview, I have to be to work by 2. :(
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

Sorry you have to work. At least you will get in the beach pics and maybe the gator chasin' ones around Yellow river. Did I mention the off road part of the ride??? :wink:
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

DennisD wrote:Did I mention the off road part of the ride??? :wink:
NO YOU DIDN'T!!!
Man, is that gonna be somewhere far away and I won't get to go?! I really like going off-road as long as it's not just loose sand (like the last time).
I will probably do my own ride by myself on the 19th or 20th since I am off those days. Got any suggestions? You always got suggestions...
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

Just kidding, but that would be fun. I could take my little Ruckus out in the woods.

I would suggest Deaton Bridge Road at Harold, then take Sandy Forest. It comes out by Munson Elementary. Turn right there to the intersection of 4 and 191, look across the street to the country store "Ruths" (not to be confused with Ruth's Criss Steak House). They have decent burgers made in the back of the store. Then go east on 4 to Old Martin Road, turn right, wiggle to the left about a mile down, then wiggle right. When you get to the end turn left you'll come out somewhere around Holt, maybe. Back down 90 to home. Love those woods. :D Maybe we should make that another group ride later. Lots of good woodsy empty roads around Hurricane Lake also. And some dirt. Lots of dirt roads up there.

Dennis
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

Only thing wrong with woodsy roads is DEER!!! That is the one thing I am constantly paranoid about: animals darting out in front of me (how I wrecked the first time).

Ideally I like a 45-50 mph super curvy road with no traffic, duh! We got any of those? :lol:
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

Yep, there's a few around. There's a run out of Jay that is a blast. Its short (about 3-5 miles) but a ton of fun. Out of the gas station in Jay go east, turn left and go down till you get to the cemetery, bear right and go. Up and down with curves. It goes over to 29 in Alabama close to Brewton. Turn around and race back. Never had a problem with deer up there in the day time, but wild turkeys are sometimes as stupid as their domestic brethren. Almost hit one on some little road up there. I was on my Triumph doing about 80 and the turkey started running down the road instead of flying off into the woods. Thought it was going to turn and fly right in front of me. Idiot wanted to be a road runner I think. I slowed down.
Perkussion

Post by Perkussion »

My new favorite trips lately (two Saturdays ago and last Friday) have been:
90 to Milton >
Munson Hwy to Indian Ford Rd > Bob Pitt Rd.>
~Slow ride around Blackwater River State Park access roads >
Back to Bob Pitt Rd. and on to Bryant Bridge Rd. to Holt.
Turn around at 90/RR tracks
and ride the entire length of Bryant Bridge Rd. (fav part) back to Munson Hwy.
Most of these roads have very little traffic and decent pavement.
Scooter heaven.

I have also taken a few trips on the Munson Hwy all the way to Alabama.
Once you cross over Rt 4 you usually only see 2 or 3 cars.

I usually average 120 miles on these trips and it's a real pleasure if the
wind doesn't start gusting.
Thank goodness for fuel bottles!
Perkussion

Post by Perkussion »

I seem to remember
Rt 89 N to Jay and then on to Brewton AL being quite twisty and hilly.
I remember laughing to myself as I was
cruising along because I didn't think there was any roads like that around here.

There wasn't one car behind me from Jay to Brewton.
It was a Sunday morning though.

I really enjoy scootering in the sticks of Santa Rosa County
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

Bryant Bridge is a great ride. All of those in that neck of Santa Rosa are good. Some of the maps show dirt roads up there but some of them have been paved recently. Even fewer cars than Bryant Bridge. That's why I mentioned Old Martin.
When 191 goes left about a half mile north of 4 do you go straight or turn left? Going straight takes you past Camp Paquette, used a lot by scouts. The road is good with very few cars also.

The twisty curvy road you mention to Brewton is the one I was telling Krusty about. I've never ridden it on my scooter but have flown through on my motorcycle. Its a fun stretch.
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

So are you coming on the ride Perkussion?
Perkussion

Post by Perkussion »

DennisD wrote:When 191 goes left about a half mile north of 4 do you go straight or turn left?
I have done both. Fun either way.
I was surprised that almost every road's pavement gets much worse when you cross over to AL.

KBurger:
No we are behind at work and they have posted OT for the first time since
before Thanksgiving, so I'M THERE!

:D
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

Only got to ride for less than half of the route since I had to work, but it was fun while it lasted. How's everyone's butts doing? not so good?

DennisD

Post by DennisD »

Thanks for the pics Cheryl. Can't speak for anyone's butt but mine and it was beginning to get a little sore around the 200 mile mark. I love these long rides and the nap after is so good. I'm still thinking about fried chicken and banana pudding in Florala. Total mileage for the day was 230 miles for me and 89mpg for Buddy. I thought that was really good as hard as we ran most of the day. Of course, the earlier slow run on the beach might have helped things. :) The Vespas and maxiscoots did a pretty good job of keeping up with the Buddy. :mrgreen: :ride:

Here's a couple taken on top of the mountain. :wink:

Last edited by DennisD on Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Perkussion

Post by Perkussion »

Great pics! Thanks for posting them.

Glad everyone made it safely to the destination.
I went to work on the scooter and was surprised how windy it was on the 'fill'
(the hwy 90 connector road between Pace and Pensacola) Saturday morning.
I was thinking about you guys as I was being blown around rather harshly.

Glad it was a good one.
138 miles is my longest pleasure scoot & my butt was a bit sore...
230? Cool. Congratulations, guys! :D
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

Perkussion wrote:I went to work on the scooter and was surprised how windy it was on the 'fill'
(the hwy 90 connector road between Pace and Pensacola) Saturday morning.
I was thinking about you guys as I was being blown around rather harshly.
You must be a native of the area. Most of the palm tree planting, oak tree cutting, florida fantasy newbies don't have a clue about the fill. "Causeway" is so much more sophisticated. :lol:

HEY LAMAR, LET'S RUN OVER THE FILL AND GIT A BOTTLE A JACK AT THE LIQUOR STORE!!

The wind was vicious on the island. Wind straight out of the east 20-25mph. Cyclists heading east were working their butts off but they were smiling big time on the return. 52-11 Gearing and 90-100 cadence with no problem. I felt sorry for the Buffys and Biffs on their cruisers that had obviously left from Navarre going west and thought "this bike riding thing isn't so hard" and then turned for home about 5 miles out. :cry: "HELP ME! :cry:

Once we left the island and started up 87 things improved. Away from the coast I didn't really notice the wind. The return was really nice on several good county roads that were lightly travelled. 85, 2, 189, 4, 90. There were very few motorcycles out considering the great weather. I think there was a rally in Biloxi. Even 4 wheel traffic was light. Until we got to Pace on the return. But you know what that's like.
Buddy didn't ride today. He's earned a rest.
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

BAAAHHH!!!! I GOT UM!!!

Package just came like 2 seconds ago, I am SO STOKED!!!
The colors are a little different than I had originally thought, but they look great!

Last edited by KRUSTYburger on Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
LisaLisa

Post by LisaLisa »

When is your next rally I want to go.
Det finns inte dåligt väder bara dåliga kläder.
Perkussion

Post by Perkussion »

Wow! Those patches are really nice! :o
Good job!
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Great looking patches Krusty!

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

LisaLisa wrote:When is your next rally I want to go.
Well, we normally just have rides where we pick some scenic roads and get some grub and split off wherever we choose.
Isn't there a scooter club or 2 in your area? We could plan a mini rally to meet up somewhere around Montgomery if
there are a couple other Alabamians who want to come... It is a little far though, I don't know how many people would be
up for riding 175 miles just to get to the meet-up point! Six or seven of us are going to the Big Easy Weekender coming up,
were you planning to go to that?
r0sa

Post by r0sa »

KRUSTYburger wrote:BAAAHHH!!!! I GOT UM!!!

Package just came like 2 seconds ago, I am SO STOKED!!!
The colors are a little different than I had originally thought, but they look great!

those are some cool patches!!! :D i like how they are diamond shaped, unlike the usual square
LisaLisa

Post by LisaLisa »

KRUSTYburger wrote: Isn't there a scooter club or 2 in your area?
Yes! We have our rally in the fall (Southern Discomfort). But there's never enough rallies, and Pensacola sounds like a really good road trip. I know that schedule permitting (which is why my husband and I are not hitting NOLA) at least the two of us would hit one at the beach.

It's only 233 miles- we did almost that much on sunday- with my bike (probably) needing new rollers!
Det finns inte dåligt väder bara dåliga kläder.