scooter as main source of transportation

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

fs8gbe

scooter as main source of transportation

Post by fs8gbe »

does anyone here use their scooter as a main source of transportation? as in the only source?

i've got to decide if i want to pump almost 1k into my beater truck, or if we go to a 1 scooter 1 4 wheel vehicle family (we also have a ford explorer)

this would only be until november or december, as i am saving up for a replacement car, and i believe in paying cash for everything, no financing.

so my question is, is there anyone out there who has only a scooter, and is it as annoying as i think it is going to be?
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

I only have my scooter, but I'm living with my parents right now, so I use one of their cars if the weather is nasty or if I need to haul large items...
I guess you just about need some other kind of vehicle unless you have a decent public transportation system. Ours is pretty-much useless
unless you want to go to the mall or the airport. :?
mayra

Post by mayra »

i only have my scooter as well - usually hitch a ride if i need anything that i can't carry in a basket.
Hanz

Post by Hanz »

Scooter and Bicycle only from March-December. December-February is to cold to scoot in Chicago. I did ride my bike one day this winter when it was -20 degrees.

Im planing on purchasing a new car at the end of the summer. I have not owned a car since I moved here 4 years ago and it really sucks going without a car during the winter months. Even with a car, I think 90% of my travel during the summer, spring, fall will be done by scooter :ride:
chloefpuff

Post by chloefpuff »

Where's Becktastic? Isn't she scooter-only?
so tough, so pink
TVB

Post by TVB »

Until recently I used my bicycle as my primary transport, and the bus in bad weather, with a car that I used to get places those wouldn't take me. Since I started a job which requires occasional unplanned trips across town, I've been taking the car every day; I'm buying a scooter so I can leave the cage at home again.
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

My wife and I (and our 4 year old) survive just fine with 6 wheels.

It takes a bit of creativity at times but it's not annoying at all. The most annoying times are days in a row of rain. But even that can be handled with a good rain suit. Carpooling happens a lot too which is a good thing. I ride the scooter 95% of the time but my wife also rides so if I really need the car it still works out.

I'd say go for it, it's only for less than a year and you might learn to love it.
myras_girls

Post by myras_girls »

I was a no vehicle owner for over 5 years. You get used to the limitations.

A good friend of mine has only a scooter. We live in Colorado and there are times it's too snowy to scoot but she does fine with it. She takes the bus/ walks when she needs to.
<a href="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/killerbee ... b/">Killer Bees Scooter Club</a> Fort Collins, CO
armacham

Post by armacham »

chloefpuff wrote:Where's Becktastic? Isn't she scooter-only?
yep, Becky and I are scooter only
pleasefeedthedog

Post by pleasefeedthedog »

fs8gbe:

http://www.zipcar.com/atlanta/find-cars

This might be something to consider when those rare events crop up.

Dog
fs8gbe

Post by fs8gbe »

thanks for all of the encouragement.

that is true, i always forget about zipcar. i live outside the perimeter, but getting to one of these wouldn't be too hard.

so, after talking it over with the wife, i have decided the blur will be my only vehicle for a while. kind of nervous about that but kind of excited in a way. it certainly is capable. i am sure there will be trying days but atleast it gets excellent gas mileage and looks like an autobot!

anybody wanna buy a beater truck for 300 bucks? ;-)
Quo Vadimus

Post by Quo Vadimus »

Getting sick and tired of worrying about car repairs is exactly what made me the happy two-wheeler I am today.

I am way happy. I ride my bicycle in the winter, scooter the other 8 months. In incredibly bad weather I take the extra 20 minutes to ride the bus, and listen to a book on my ipod. Even as the winter stretched on a bit too long this year, I was thinking how much happier I am than when I was always worried about car repairs, sitting in traffic, etc. It takes a little more time, and you're a little less protected from the idiots out there, but in exchange you get some serious zen, some serious joy, savings on insurance and upkeep, the admiration of your friends and coworkers, a form of transportation that's also a hobby, an excuse to take things slow, etc. etc. etc.

I do have it good. I have a significant other who helps me with her Fit when the bus isn't running and the blizzards have hit. Or when we want to buy a piece of furniture. I have a city that plows the multi-use path that's most of the bicycle ride to work. But, man, I'm so much happier.

I'm not sure how this pans out if you're totally serious about buying another car before winter. That for me would become more of a monetary issue. But you might end up deciding life is good as a "six-wheel" family, and not buy that third vehicle after all.

By all means, do your research, and if you like what you see, go for it. It's a good life.
fs8gbe

Post by fs8gbe »

well we were always planning on trading one of the vehicles in for a better car by september -november because we have twins on the way :D and our explorer is a 2 door explorer, so it made sense to trade that in. we just figured the beater truck would last for another year or so.

a little back story, we are doing dave ramsey's financial peace university, as we got sick and tired of credit cards and other debt, so we've been saving like mad, and selling like mad. we've got one vespa sold, the other may be sold shortly, and we should have all our debt but the house paid off by july. after that, we are scrimping like mad to save for a newish vehicle with 4 doors and plenty of room for thing 1 and thing 2 (or as they are called now, hell yes and woah!)

to make a short story long like it or not i will be riding a blur all summer long. it will be good as a i plan on revieiwng it at 1 months, 3 months, 6 months, etc...
UnionZac

Post by UnionZac »

My scooter is my primary form of transportation, and was right through the winter. When I do have need of 4 wheels, my girlfriend has a Honda Fit which is super useful for lugging my music gear. Other than those situations the scoot has really been all I need.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

I'm 99.9% scooter. My cars are not super practical(All hotrods)
and I don't drive them often any more. My most driven car only saw pubic road time 5 times last year.

Other than that its the Buddy and my 50 mile commute :)
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Scooter only here. Bicycle only for a year before that. If I ever really need a car for a day or two I rent one. It happens so infrequently the $40/day is much, much (much) cheaper than owning one. It's been working great for me.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
thehypercube

Post by thehypercube »

i'm scooter only. my gf has a car tho. we use it for grocery shopping but that's pretty much the only time i am in it. could grocery shop with the scooter but it would need to be more frequent smaller runs. There is a good bit of room if you use the pet carrier, bag hook and a decent sized messenger bag or backpack
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

I did the scooter only thing for about 7 months, it was fun, it was also summer tho, and the GF did have a car. Its nice having a car now, but not necessary... where there is a will there is a way.
bgwss

Post by bgwss »

[quote="fs8gbe"]

a little back story, we are doing dave ramsey's financial peace university, as we got sick and tired of credit cards and other debt, :D
That is the way to go! I Love Dave Ramsey!
fs8gbe

Post by fs8gbe »

thanks. not to veer too far off from genuine land, but we've paid off almost 20k in the past 12 months :-)
Vic

Post by Vic »

Seeing as you have a 4 wheel vehicle for the family (and occassional hauling of stuff) and live in GA, you are talking about mostly the best months to be scootering, and you might find that you save up faster than you anticipate since the gas minleage is so awesome, I bet you will have no troubles and find that it is a great experience.

Cheers,
v
dsmith65

Post by dsmith65 »

Congrats on what you are doing. FPU is great, we did something similar years ago, it's amazing the difference it makes not just in your finances but in your relationship too. It is way more than just a financial thing. Living in ATL you'll should have no problems being a 1 scoot 1 car family. I did it here in Nashville through the winter. On bad days my wife and I just made arangements so I could use the car. BTW the vespa you have for sale what is it?
MB #2349
adameg
Dealer

Post by adameg »

fs8gbe, I have been 2-wheels since I moved to Atlanta. It's a great scootering layout, and with the Ford Explorer already in the family, you should have no trouble at all. Keep the 1k, spend some of it on decent rain gear and you'll be fine!!!!

I can tell you that over half the scooters recently were from 2 car families dropping down to 1 car/1 scoot.
Eco Moto
887 W. Peachtree St. NW
Atlanta, GA 30308
adam@gogoecomoto.com
fs8gbe

Post by fs8gbe »

@dsmith65: thanks. i've got good friends and familiy in Tn. murfreesboro and east nashville.

i have a 2002 vespa et2 with about 1900 miles on it i think...
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2 ... bf325f2da9 is the link with pics.

i won't turn this into a for sale ad so pm me if you have any questions about it.
r0sa

Post by r0sa »

i was scooter-only for roughly 8 months, it worked out great, i SAVED so much on gas, did i mention how much fun it was? i only asked for favors from the bf when it was raining or if we were going somewhere far. i got pretty tanned.

as someone just said, if there's a will, there's a way :)
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

Scooter-only here. I tried owning a (free, used) car for six months and went broke from insurance, gas, repairs, and parking tickets.
ModBud #442
KCScooterDude

Post by KCScooterDude »

fs8gbe wrote:thanks for all of the encouragement.

that is true, i always forget about zipcar. i live outside the perimeter, but getting to one of these wouldn't be too hard.

so, after talking it over with the wife, i have decided the blur will be my only vehicle for a while. kind of nervous about that but kind of excited in a way. it certainly is capable. i am sure there will be trying days but atleast it gets excellent gas mileage and looks like an autobot!

anybody wanna buy a beater truck for 300 bucks? ;-)
We were in the exact position you were in last years. Spooky. I have a Blur, and the wife has a Ford Explorer.

We got along just fine with six wheels. There were times when there were some limitations, but it wasn't bad. More people could get by with just one car if they really thought about it. It takes some planning, but it's doable.

Eventually I did buy an old BMW (that's mostly in service), but it's more to play around with than as serious transportation. It's great on rainy days, but I don't drive it in the snow.

Just having the one car payment allowed me to do something else - I bought an old Suzuki motorcycle for $425 and got it running great.

The long and shor of it - I don't thing you'll regret your decision. In fact, I bet you will be thinking differently when it comes time to buy a car. I'd love to buy a new car, and we could probably swing it financially, but there is just no need whatsoever. Can't justify it.
Animaetrix00

Post by Animaetrix00 »

I sold my car and got a Buddy instead and have not regretted it. :)
fs8gbe

Post by fs8gbe »

kcscooterdude, that is spooky.

wow, there are more people here on scooter alone than i thought...
this is good to know.
armacham

Post by armacham »

I actually kinda want a 2nd bike just so I have a backup, in case Marcello decides he wants to take a siesta
laxer

Post by laxer »

I'm pretty much scooter-only during summer, does that count for anything?
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

r0sa wrote:i was scooter-only for roughly 8 months, it worked out great, i SAVED so much on gas, did i mention how much fun it was? i only asked for favors from the bf when it was raining or if we were going somewhere far. i got pretty tanned.

as someone just said, if there's a will, there's a way :)
exactly! SCOOTER FTW!
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

scoot and bike only since July. love it.
r0sa wrote: as someone just said, if there's a will, there's a way :)
+2
Skootz Kabootz wrote: If I ever really need a car for a day or two I rent one. It happens so infrequently the $40/day is much, much (much) cheaper than owning one. It's been working great for me.
+1
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

If it weren't for my career choice and pets, I would very seriously consider going scooter-only. As it is, my car stays parked most of the time. It'll be a little less when I start doing craft shows and approaching galleries (I'm a ceramic artist), but the scooter is definitely primary transportation.

I put about 1500 miles on my scooter and maybe 100 miles on the car last month, and none of those miles were riding just to be riding. That should tell you something. ;)
Becktastic

Post by Becktastic »

chloefpuff wrote:Where's Becktastic? Isn't she scooter-only?
I have been scooter only since August I think and loving every minute of it :) Sometimes I'll drive a friends car and be DD when we go out and I can't stand it. I love the freedom of two wheels and open air :)

I'm getting pretty brave about carrying anything and everything I need on the scooter too. I brought a semesters worth of art supplies to cram in my locker, this including huge pads of paper. More recently I have been hauling large bags of compost for my garden and large plastic storage bins.

Where there's a will, there's a way! And the money I have saved is taking me to Hawaii in July Whoo-hoo!
Lift heavy eat clean!
r0sa

Post by r0sa »

Becktastic wrote:Where there's a will, there's a way! And the money I have saved is taking me to Hawaii in July Whoo-hoo!
Hawaii with Armacham, i hope :wink:
Becktastic

Post by Becktastic »

r0sa wrote:
Becktastic wrote:Where there's a will, there's a way! And the money I have saved is taking me to Hawaii in July Whoo-hoo!
Hawaii with Armacham, i hope :wink:
Actually by myself...he spent all his money on bionic eyes.
Lift heavy eat clean!
r0sa

Post by r0sa »

Becktastic wrote: Actually by myself...he spent all his money on bionic eyes.
GEEZ armacham. anyway, party hardy! :P i bet its beautiful out there, hope you have fun :)
BeachBuzz

Post by BeachBuzz »

we currently have 2 cars and 3 scooters in the garage (+ 2 50s in the shed at the beach). I commute daily on the Blur, if the roads are icy or it's pouring in the morning I'll take the bus. Mrs. commutes in the Civic but is in training to become a scooter commuter the Buddy. The Burgman is the weekend cruiser and the Magnum is the workhorse for hauling scooters, grandkids and cargo. our goal is to reduce to one car in about a year if Mrs. get comfortable enough to (fair weather) scooter commute. When we do consolidate we will sell both existing cars and find something in between that will serve as an efficient commuter and capable hauler.
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

dont ride in the rain though. its not safe on any 2 wheeled vehicle
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

gearhead wrote:dont ride in the rain though. its not safe on any 2 wheeled vehicle
I ride in the rain on my Buddy all the time :) Its not much different than riding when it's dry. Of course, you may not want to take the word of someone who lives in the Pacific Northwest on rain :P
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

Kaos wrote:
gearhead wrote:dont ride in the rain though. its not safe on any 2 wheeled vehicle
I ride in the rain on my Buddy all the time :) Its not much different than riding when it's dry. Of course, you may not want to take the word of someone who lives in the Pacific Northwest on rain :P
well imho. riding in the rain is probably for more advanced riders but the chance for falling increases. better be safe than sorry :D
Becktastic

Post by Becktastic »

raise your hand if you've crashed in the rain!

:raises hand:

I'd only been riding two weeks and it was a serious monsoon. BAD IDEA. I would try to get a few months under your belt before you go splashing around.
Lift heavy eat clean!
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

Becktastic wrote:raise your hand if you've crashed in the rain!

I'd only been riding two weeks and it was a serious monsoon. BAD IDEA. I would try to get a few months under your belt before you go splashing around.
testimony right thurrr... ive never crashed and never want to. but the only time i almost did was when it just came down pouring rain :(
fs8gbe

Post by fs8gbe »

still have yet to drop the bike period. but i've only been in the rain twice, and i have only been riding for 2 years. a few months only on anything but a 49cc...
kazoo

Post by kazoo »

I have a serious question: Do these wheels provide mre surface area per weight than lets say a full size motorcycle?

I have the impression they do, and if thats the case I would think that would make them more vulnerable to hydroplaning.
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

good question. i think the answer is.. yes
bluebuddygirl

Post by bluebuddygirl »

Hey Becktastic, It's good to hear from you. I see from your multiple posts that you are making up for some lost time.
Becktastic

Post by Becktastic »

bluebuddygirl wrote:

Hey Becktastic, It's good to hear from you. I see from your multiple posts that you are making up for some lost time.
Yeah, I get fixated on things and ignore everything else, it takes a while for things to balance out again. For a while this was scooters, but more recently I have taken up heavy lifting and clean eating. Obsessing over macronutrient breakdowns and proper form take a surprising amount of time and dedication. I've finally got it down for the most part so I have time for my other hobbies again :)
Lift heavy eat clean!
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

congratulations! my turn to do that now!