BlackJack on JustGottaScoot

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

evilscooterkitty

BlackJack on JustGottaScoot

Post by evilscooterkitty »

We will be doing a series of reviews on the new Genuine BlackJack at JustGottaScoot.com.

Purchased a new BlackJack, did the set-up this past Saturday, and now it seems to be winter again here in Minnesota. We will be doing a "stock" review first which will involve leaving the "street legal" pipe on. Next will be a review with the performance pipe installed. Then the scooter will be heading over to the folks at Minnesota Motorcycle Monthly for them to trash it around a bit. Then some reviews from other riders in the Twin Cities area. HINT Lora from Scooterville has already ridden the BlackJack home and seemed pretty pleased with it.
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

its winter up there? :o
ScooterDave
Most Likely to Spontaneously Combust

Re: BlackJack on JustGottaScoot

Post by ScooterDave »

evilscooterkitty wrote:We will be doing a series of reviews on the new Genuine BlackJack at JustGottaScoot.com.
Whoopie. Like Harrington knows how to do an unbiased review.
GrittyTacoman

Post by GrittyTacoman »

I'll go on record to say I enjoy reading David Harrington's reviews and listening to the podcasts. Not going to discount him just because he agrees with me that Buddies are pretty great-- Plus, once he singlehandedly fought off a pack of dingos that were trying to attack my baby.
djelliott

Re: BlackJack on JustGottaScoot

Post by djelliott »

evilscooterkitty wrote:We will be doing a series of reviews on the new Genuine BlackJack at JustGottaScoot.com.

Purchased a new BlackJack, did the set-up this past Saturday, and now it seems to be winter again here in Minnesota. We will be doing a "stock" review first which will involve leaving the "street legal" pipe on. Next will be a review with the performance pipe installed. Then the scooter will be heading over to the folks at Minnesota Motorcycle Monthly for them to trash it around a bit. Then some reviews from other riders in the Twin Cities area. HINT Lora from Scooterville has already ridden the BlackJack home and seemed pretty pleased with it.
Make sure you get a couple hundred miles on it before you review. It wouldn't be fair to review the bike with out breaking it in first.
Prima pipe
UNI filter
125 Main Jet
2000RPM Stall Spring
1500RPM Clutch Springs
Dr. Pulley Variator with 11 Gram Sliders
NCY Front Forks
Prima/NCY 161cc Big Bore kit With 150 Head
KS Power GY6 Performance Springs
NCY Secondary Shieve
ScooterDave

Post by ScooterDave »

GrittyTacoman wrote:I'll go on record to say I enjoy reading David Harrington's reviews and listening to the podcasts. Not going to discount him just because he agrees with me that Buddies are pretty great-- Plus, once he singlehandedly fought off a pack of dingos that were trying to attack my baby.
Thats great that you enjoy what he does and more power to him for doing what he does. My point is that he will not do an unbiased revew based on his relationship with Scooterville & ScooterWorks/Genuine. Just listen to the hour long commercial he did for Phil McCaleb with the so-called interview that was full of half-truths & flat out lies.

That is all I am saying on the subject. Yes, I can back up what I said.
fs8gbe

Post by fs8gbe »

his review of the blur was the first reason i wanted one. up to that point i kind of looked at it and didn't know what to think...

i still think he should do video reviews though.

as far as fair is concerned, i don't really know. i do really enjoy the side by side stats he puts up on the site, and looks like it is factual based atleast for that part.
Lookin' To Scoot

Post by Lookin' To Scoot »

ScooterDave wrote:Thats great that you enjoy what he does and more power to him for doing what he does. My point is that he will not do an unbiased revew based on his relationship with Scooterville & ScooterWorks/Genuine. Just listen to the hour long commercial he did for Phil McCaleb with the so-called interview that was full of half-truths & flat out lies.

Then why don't you? Nothing like calling a person a liar but then not telling the truth yourself. If you can back it, don't tell us that's all you're saying is the person is a liar. I'm thinking of buying a Genuine Buddy, so I would be very interested in hearing your point of view before spending my hard-earned dollars.
fs8gbe

Post by fs8gbe »

@ lookin to scoot

i doubt this is the place, but i have read scooterdave's opinions of the situation on his blog, maybe start there...
Lookin' To Scoot

Post by Lookin' To Scoot »

fs8gbe wrote:@ lookin to scoot

i doubt this is the place, but i have read scooterdave's opinions of the situation on his blog, maybe start there...
Umm, thanks for the heads up. He has a page called Scooter Dave and the ladies with pictures of him drinking PBR and Miller High Life (didn't even know they still made either of those), appropriately out of a can. That's about all I need to know.

Scooter Dave- Never mind, your input on this issue is no longer needed.
toddrw2251

Post by toddrw2251 »

FYI: PBR is a well priced delicious beverage.
Werd, Yo! I'm Rusty.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Lookin' To Scoot wrote:
ScooterDave wrote:Thats great that you enjoy what he does and more power to him for doing what he does. My point is that he will not do an unbiased revew based on his relationship with Scooterville & ScooterWorks/Genuine. Just listen to the hour long commercial he did for Phil McCaleb with the so-called interview that was full of half-truths & flat out lies.

Then why don't you? Nothing like calling a person a liar but then not telling the truth yourself. If you can back it, don't tell us that's all you're saying is the person is a liar. I'm thinking of buying a Genuine Buddy, so I would be very interested in hearing your point of view before spending my hard-earned dollars.
Scooter Dave has personal differences with Genuine's owner that he thankfully doesn't often air here :) He rides a Buddy though, so take that for what it's worth.....
fs8gbe

Post by fs8gbe »

hey don't be knockin pbr. i may give you the miller high life (before i start drinking anyway) but we'll go to rounds about pbr :-)
KCScooterDude

Post by KCScooterDude »

fs8gbe wrote:his review of the blur was the first reason i wanted one. up to that point i kind of looked at it and didn't know what to think...

i still think he should do video reviews though.

as far as fair is concerned, i don't really know. i do really enjoy the side by side stats he puts up on the site, and looks like it is factual based atleast for that part.
Plus one to that. Justgottascoot is how I found Genuine. I wanted a Buddy so bad for months. Rode the Blur though, heard those clicking turn indicators and was sold.

Personally, I think justgottascoot does a pretty fair job of reviewing. He's up-front about what he rides and who he's affiliated with. I like the fact that he does side-by-sides. We're all adults here. We know how to filter information on the Internet. Blogs are the Op-Ed page of the Internet. I think most people realize that.
fs8gbe

Post by fs8gbe »

the clickers got you too? damn...it really is the little things! when i made my first right turn, my heart swooned...
djelliott

Post by djelliott »

fs8gbe wrote:hey don't be knockin pbr. i may give you the miller high life (before i start drinking anyway) but we'll go to rounds about pbr :-)
Hey man, leave the Highlife alone. It is a very fine and refreshing beer that is ranked very high for it's lack of preservatives an quality ingredients. Besides, how could you not love Windell, the highlife delivery guy?

Prima pipe
UNI filter
125 Main Jet
2000RPM Stall Spring
1500RPM Clutch Springs
NCY Front Forks
NCY Secondary Shieve
fs8gbe

Post by fs8gbe »

no no don't get me wrong, i don't knock any beer. i'll drink steel reserve if i have to.

but, given the choice, i'd drink pbr before i drink highlife

actually my favorite is yuengling....mmmm

wait, is this a scooter forum? ;-)
beeporama

Post by beeporama »

fs8gbe wrote:actually my favorite is yuengling....mmmm
That is so weird to hear people outside western PA talk about Yuengling...!
fs8gbe

Post by fs8gbe »

beeporama wrote:
my company is based out of philly, and so a coworker told me about this grand beer called yuengling, and when i went to visit my sister in east nashville they had it...and it was good.

then i saw it at a costco in north carolina, and bought 3 cases to bring back to georgia (even served it at my wedding)

finally this past year busch started distributing it down here in the muggy depths of atlanta georgia.

and life is better now.
djelliott

Post by djelliott »

fs8gbe wrote:
beeporama wrote:
my company is based out of philly, and so a coworker told me about this grand beer called yuengling, and when i went to visit my sister in east nashville they had it...and it was good.

then i saw it at a costco in north carolina, and bought 3 cases to bring back to georgia (even served it at my wedding)

finally this past year busch started distributing it down here in the muggy depths of atlanta georgia.

and life is better now.
+! on the yuengling. Love the stuff. Can't get it in Cleveland though :( . It's the oldest brewery in the USA and still a family owned business. Man I'm going to annihilate some beers tonight! This thread is making me very thirsty and it's only 10:49AM.
Prima pipe
UNI filter
125 Main Jet
2000RPM Stall Spring
1500RPM Clutch Springs
NCY Front Forks
NCY Secondary Shieve
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

beeporama wrote:
Considering it's from eastern Pa, Pottsville, It is QUITE weird!! :?

I personally can't, repeat, CAN'T drink it...... Just one will give me a nightmare/killer type headache........ Something about larger style beer does that too me, even Heinken!!

You guys in western Pa. and Ohio do piss me off...... you have Great Lakes Brewery stuff..... Me LIKES!! :D
Although I have Troegs, 12 miles from the house!! I get my Rugged Trail Ale straight from the Brewery weekly...... 8)
ScooterDave

Post by ScooterDave »

Lookin' To Scoot wrote:
fs8gbe wrote:@ lookin to scoot

Umm, thanks for the heads up. He has a page called Scooter Dave and the ladies with pictures of him drinking PBR and Miller High Life (didn't even know they still made either of those), appropriately out of a can. That's about all I need to know.

Scooter Dave- Never mind, your input on this issue is no longer needed.
I just stated an opinion. My views on Phil McCaleb are well known. Out of respect for the moderators here, I choose not to go into the issues I have with Phil. Those issues are based on fact.

Yes, I drink cheap beer and the ladies dig me. I can not help that. If you come to the WKRP rally this weekend it will be a weekend of nothing but, scooters, cheap beer and girls hanging on me. It is just the way I roll.

I am not knocking David Harrington. More power to him. It is just my opinion that he is to close to the brand to give an unbiased review. My opinion and $2.50 will allow you to buy me a PBR at my bar. Nothing else.
djelliott

Post by djelliott »

ScooterDave wrote:it will be a weekend of nothing but, scooters, cheap beer and girls hanging on me. It is just the way I roll.
HAHAHA, Dave, you should add that quote to your signature. That is priceless. +!

Wish I could make it down this weekend. pocphil and the rest of the gang will be there though. Show them a good time for me will ya. I'll be knocking back the Highlifes in my garage and no doubt receiving dozens of facebook postings from Phil. Enjoy yourself.

Dustin
Prima pipe
UNI filter
125 Main Jet
2000RPM Stall Spring
1500RPM Clutch Springs
NCY Front Forks
NCY Secondary Shieve
ScooterDave

Post by ScooterDave »

djelliott wrote:
ScooterDave wrote:it will be a weekend of nothing but, scooters, cheap beer and girls hanging on me. It is just the way I roll.
HAHAHA, Dave, you should add that quote to your signature. That is priceless. +!

Wish I could make it down this weekend. pocphil and the rest of the gang will be there though. Show them a good time for me will ya. I'll be knocking back the Highlifes in my garage and no doubt receiving dozens of facebook postings from Phil. Enjoy yourself.

Dustin
You should reconsider. We started the festivities last night after a large group of Vulcans drove & flew in yesterday. For the first time the Vulcans outnumbered the XYL's at the bar. It will be good to see Phil & the rest of the crew from up north. I just got a phone call from a group in Boston/NYC that are in transit here. This will be the biggest rally yet with between 300-400 people here.
evilscooterkitty

Post by evilscooterkitty »

For the record - I'm in this for the joy of scooters.

Yes, I "work" with several scooter companies and several dealerships. Yes, I am at Scooterville most Saturdays. I am ALSO at BlueCat Motors in St. Paul, the local SYM and TGB dealer AND at other dealers in the Twin Cities area. Yes, I did "work" at the Genuine dealer boot camp last year. I have also done work with other scooter and motorcycle companies. I do not accept any advertising or other compensation for JustGottaScoot.com.

Yes, I do like Philip McCaleb, I know some other people don't. Phil can be a real hard-ass. As a business owner myself, I know how tough it is to build something from the ground up and I respect what Phil has done with Scooterworks and Genuine. I also like and respect Daniel and Leon from Fly Scooters a CHINESE scooter. I even get along with Lev at CF Moto and Joel at MRP. I like a LOT of people in the scooter business.

The reason my Genuine reviews are mostly "good" is that I honestly believe their products are good. My Kymco and SYM reviews are pretty much the same. The reason that I don't post much in the line of bad reviews is because I give people the chance to say "no" when I ask for a review scooter. Another Chinese brand (now defunct) did not want me to take a scooter for review when I told them I would post my opinion unedited and honestly.

I drink PBR. I even enjoy it. As a kid in the 1970s, it was inexpenvie which left more money for cars, scooters and motorbikes. Oh yeah, and women.... expensive hobby..... women.
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

Y'all need to stop objectifying women. Thanks.

And I'm shocked at the Yuengling love! Here at the bars in Philly, Lager is the bottom of the barrel, next to Lionshead. I admit the Black & Tan is a bit nicer. Still: PBC's Walt Whit rules them all. :D
ModBud #442
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

You freaks and your domestic swill. :roll: :wink:
fs8gbe

Post by fs8gbe »

Cheshire wrote:You freaks and your domestic swill. :roll: :wink:
buy american!

hehe
ERik3tb

Post by ERik3tb »

My two bits on the thread topic ....

Honestly, I don't know either one of them. I do have both sites bookmarked along with several others.

I live in Wyoming and the nearest scooter dealership is 400 miles from me. The only scooter info I get is online. As such, I read as much as I can on any and all scooter reviews so that when I finally get somewhere (Denver or Salt Lake City) that does have scooters, I can at least have a somewhat informed state of reference to what I am looking. I'll take a biased review over no review anytime.

As for the Off topic portion of this thread, I'm a recovering alcoholic so I really don't have a dog in that fight. It's been nearly 14 years since I had a drink.
Heroism is being scared as hell and saddling up anyways - John Wayne
Lil Buddy

Post by Lil Buddy »

djelliott wrote:
So thats what Biz Markie is doing these days :lol:
Ohhhh bay-be you......you got what I need.....
Tenchi

Objectify women?

Post by Tenchi »

Polianarchy, for what it's worth, I don't objectify women.....they reject me. Just kidding; after being married to a Filipina for almost 29 years, I have learned to be obedient! :lol: Don't want a hard fist on my noggin!
ScooterDave

Post by ScooterDave »

djelliott wrote:
I called it dead on. $2.00 pull & pray imports and girls hanging on me everywhere I went.

kazoo

Post by kazoo »

ScooterDave you are better looking in the above party pics than that avatar gives you credit for. In your avatar you look as though the teacher called you out of class for a scolding.

Thanks, I feel so much better getting that off my chest.

PS You don't have to concern yourself with getting PM'd by me. :lol:
olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

I really enjoy the Just Gotta Scoot podcasts. Sure sometimes it sounds like a commercial. So what? At least it has scooters. The Fly Scooter episodes could have asked the question why they sell the same generic Chinese junk for more money than the competition. It was good news that they will be offering a Taiwan scooter. There is hope for them yet.

I love anything with "two wheels and a motor" except the podcasts by that name. Holy Crap! What a waste of time those are!