Sidecar Familiarization 101

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Kurt
Dealer

Sidecar Familiarization 101

Post by Kurt »

Last fall I attached a sidecar to my Stella (which I wrote about on my blog in Stella Sidecar #1 and Stella Sidecar #2). Unfortunately it snowed the day after it was attached, so I never got the chance to really take it for a spin.

This morning I finally got it on the road, at least enough to go to a local college and practice without having to worry about running into anything. I also wrote Sidecar Familiarization 101 about my experiences. Here are the highlights:
  • A scooter sidecar does not make for relaxed riding.
  • Be prepared to move your butt.
  • Stopping is better when you use BOTH brakes.
  • Even with a sidecar strapped on I can STILL pop a wheelie on a Stella!
  • Stella doesn’t like fourth gear when the sidecar is attached.
I'd love to hear your comments!
<a href="http://urbanvillagescooters.com">Urban Village Scooters</a>
700 South Clinton Ave.
Rochester, NY 14620
585-643-5540
PeterC

Sidecar

Post by PeterC »

I've had a Stella for nearly 3 years, and I've toyed with the idea of getting a sidecar. After reading a number of threads about sidecars on scooters, I came to the conclusion that a scooter sidecar was an idea that was much more attractive in theory than in practice. For it be truly practical, you'd need (a) much more power, (b) a reverse gear, and (c) ideally a second driven wheel.
Kurt
Dealer

Post by Kurt »

I think the Stella has enough power for a sidecar, or it will after I put on the Sito Plus. What I'd like to see is a brake on the sidecar wheel. The twist caused by a panic stop is what I'm most worried about.

I expect the sidecar will be quite practical for my purposes, number one being to get attention! NOBODY ignores a sidecar!

In addition, being able to carry larger loads and/or a passenger occasionally is a plus.

I would NOT recommend a sidecar as your primary ride. They really are better as a second (or in my case, fourth) scooter.

If you want a truly practical sidecar, put it on a larger (and heavier) motorcycle. One of my customers is a "professional sidecarist" who does truly amazing things with them. He documents his trips on The Timeless Ride.

His wife (and her dog) ride a Buddy!
700 South Clinton Ave.
Rochester, NY 14620
585-643-5540
Kurt
Dealer

Post by Kurt »

I should mention that I also got a chance to change a tire while on that ride. Of course I HAD to write about it on my blog in my Flat Tire post!

One thing about riding a sidecar: Every trip's an adventure! :D
700 South Clinton Ave.
Rochester, NY 14620
585-643-5540
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

Not to sound too much like an idiot, BUT! :P

I've tried figuring it out from pictures and whatnot online, but it's eluding me. How does one turn with a sidecar on?
Kurt
Dealer

Post by Kurt »

Cheshire wrote:Not to sound too much like an idiot, BUT! :P

I've tried figuring it out from pictures and whatnot online, but it's eluding me. How does one turn with a sidecar on?
The same way porcupines mate - very carefully! :D

(You should know this from your avatar!)

Seriously, I find that the best way to turn a sidecar is to slide your butt off the seat towards the inside of the turn. On a right hand turn this helps keep the chair (the sidecar) from coming up, while on left turns it just seems to balance things better.

The biggest thing is to slow down more than you normally would.
700 South Clinton Ave.
Rochester, NY 14620
585-643-5540
ericalm
Site Admin

Re: Sidecar Familiarization 101

Post by ericalm »

Kurt wrote:
:needpics:
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I love sidecars and the idea of sidecars, but as I said recently in a sidecar thread on MV, I'd get a sidecar if I had my other scooter needs fulfilled and had a scoot specifically for riding with the sidecar. It would just take too much away from how I normally want to ride. It would primarily be my "Hey, look—scooter with a sidecar!" scooter for occasional sunny days, rallies, parades, etc.

If I owned a dog, I might put a higher priority on wanting one, but still pretty unlikely.

When I finally get a shifter, Stella or other, in my scooter stable, the last thing I'm going to do is bolt on a big, heavy piece of metal and a third wheel!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

anyway to attach a stella sidecar to another bike? :D
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

gearhead wrote:anyway to attach a stella sidecar to another bike? :D
Yes. Those sidecars have been mounted on a number of different scooters—all model of Vespa, modern and vintage—and I've seen them on motorcycles as well. They come in 2 sizes but are pretty adaptable provided they can be properly mounted to the frame.
Kurt
Dealer

Post by Kurt »

ericalm wrote:
Kurt wrote:
:needpics:
Ha! You think I want witnesses? With cameras? :shock:

(I never said it was an INTENTIONAL wheelie!)
700 South Clinton Ave.
Rochester, NY 14620
585-643-5540
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Kurt wrote:(I never said it was an INTENTIONAL wheelie!)
Heh, I recently popped an accidental wheelie on my Vespa in a rather busy intersection near here. Surprised the hell out of me.