Getting Reckless

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

booleanman

Getting Reckless

Post by booleanman »

So it's Spring(ish) outside (I can tell 'cause I saw Buddy Girl riding past Century 21 again), and though I've been ridding the Buddy for most of the winter, I finally got to go on some joy rides again.

Unfortunately, I've become pretty reckless. I've hit that point where I'm no longer afraid of the damned scooter anymore. I'm constantly gunning the throttle and taking on larger roads.

Last week I was going down NJ-10 at 60 smiles per hour. In the dark. And I took a spin around the Livingston circle.

For my next feat, I took a smallish drive down US-22, which is a nasty road in NJ, to see a friend. Who turned out not to be home. That also involved going over a steel grate bridge.

And to top it off, last week, I had my first drop, though it was at a very low speed. Neither I nor the bike suffered any real damage. The problem was the bike stalled going up a hill, and I had to get out of the way of a van that obviously didn't care. It was my fault as I didn't bother waiting for the engine to warm up.

Anyone else out there getting reckless?
- bool
Scootin_in_MS

Post by Scootin_in_MS »

No. Although I did scrape my kickstand for the first time the other day as I was making a left turn. Scared the s**t out of me, but I recovered... I am now back to being very, very careful. Ride like you're invisible, but if others could see you, they would try to kill you... :shock:
Jody
DO3

Post by DO3 »

I know the feeling, I got that way on my Elite 50 back when I rode it around campus. I had a couple scary center stand scrapes and actually laid it down once. I started respecting it again after that.

On the buddy I'm not so much that way. The added speed and being 8 years older have kept me from doing dumb stuff. Although I really badly want to learn to ride a wheelie on it, to impress the girls you know ;)
louie

Post by louie »

Since October I've been taking a road over the mountain with 4 ish hairpins and great bends, i gradually increased speed until about a month ago when i scraped my stand too. holy sh_ t!

Is there mention in the manual about scraping being a safety feature something like, "when making curves are leaned and scraped alert the speed".
Last edited by louie on Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

bool,

I was born/raised in Morris county, so I know those roads well. Route 10 and the Livingston circle must be real fun.

Glad you didn't hurt anything.

I haven't gotten reckless, but I have gotten faster. :)
Kevin
AYPWIP?
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

Every time you start to feel invincible & reckless, look up scary scooter crash stories on los interwebs and read them till you learn your lesson. That's what I do. :oops:
ModBud #442
Scootin_in_MS

Post by Scootin_in_MS »

louie wrote:"when making curves are leaned and scraped alert the speed".
LOL!!! :lol: Perfect wording! You should submit that to Genuine to include in updated manuals...

Jody