Parts online dealer round up. The good, the bad, the ugly.

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

djelliott

Parts online dealer round up. The good, the bad, the ugly.

Post by djelliott »

It started coming out in another thread that many people have had some less then satisfactory experiences with online scooter parts dealers. Many making broad claims of what their parts will do for the performance of your scooter and what scooter models they're compatible with. I figured as a fair warning to all members of MB I would like to collect peoples PERSONAL experiences, good or bad, as a reference for the rest of the community.

Here I Go:

In my search for the elusive Hi Camshaft with a 32 tooth gear I came across what I thought was the greatest site for Buddy performance parts I could find (www.jiangwayne.com). They had camshafts, cylinder kits, heads, transmission parts, etc. It was pretty cool looking. Through email correspondence I was assured multiple times that the Hi camshaft they sold for the buddy was tested and proven to work so I made my purchase. After it arrived, boooo, it had a 34 tooth gear (ie. won't work on a Buddy 125) After confronting him about it he divulged that that camshaft was actually for the after market head that goes with the after market piston that goes with the after market cylinder kit. Well, the product description mentioned none of that AND he's still WRONG. At the end of the day the main drive gear on the 125 crank shaft still only has 16 teeth. Hooking that up to a 34 tooth camshaft gear would very possibly cause a catastrophic advance in timing and then failure. That is unless the valve timing on the after market head is way different. I can tell you from side to side comparison though that the lobes on the hi cam are the same 26.5mm lobes as the stock cam and the same angle. You'd get about 8 revolutions then BAM!

Now to credit jiangwayne.com, they have promptly answered every email in this matter and are trying to find me the proper cam. Other then they're attempt at customer service I would not trust any part on their site that you don't already know works.

Now let's move on to my brief experience with MRP and how full of poop they are

In the midst of my cam dilemma I've been combing the internet in search off something that I don't believe exists anymore. I think one prototype A8 hi camshaft was made with a 32 tooth gear and KAOS bought it on ebay :D. Amongst the dozens of emails I sent out of course out of desperation I sent one to MRP. They get back to me and say "sure we have those in stock on our shelves right now". I immediately get back saying "please send me a link to a photo and tell me how to purchase it!" He says I need to "buy it through one of his online dealers" and completely ignores my request for a link to a photo for verification. I get back saying "can I have a part number so I know exactly which one to ask for?" Again completely ignoring my request for proof it exists he cryptically comes back with "you know, you should really do your variator first and then a pipe and then a clutch. After that is when we recommend you do your cam, and you should have all these things done by a REAL mechanic." Now I'm pissed! I reply "I am a mechanic, I have done all those other things and more, now please can I have a part number to the A8 or A9 Camshaft with a 32 tooth gear. He ends the series of emails with "talk to your local dealer, he will know more then you on this subject and be able to help you". WTF!!!!!!

End result, I went to about a dozen or more of his online dealers for proof this white elephant exists and not ONE of them had it.

So there you go. There are a few not so good experiences I've had. I did have one good one during my search I got to talk to a pretty cool dude named Jason at KS power in Iowa. He's trying to help me out and really sounds like he know's what he's doing when it comes to scooter voodoo. So kudos to you Jason. His sight is http://www.kspoweronline.com/ there's not a ton there for the Buddy but if you give them a call they can help you out.

DJE
Prima pipe
UNI filter
125 Main Jet
2000RPM Stall Spring
1500RPM Clutch Springs
Dr. Pulley Variator with 11 Gram Sliders
NCY Front Forks
Prima/NCY 161cc Big Bore kit With 150 Head
KS Power GY6 Performance Springs
NCY Secondary Shieve
ERik3tb

Post by ERik3tb »

Here is a link to the "Scooter Dealers, The Good and The Bad" section for the scooter dawg forum.

The mostly discuss chinese scoots but this would be a good place to start.

http://scootdawg.proboards.com/index.cg ... estionable
Heroism is being scared as hell and saddling up anyways - John Wayne
djelliott

Post by djelliott »

ERik3tb wrote:Here is a link to the "Scooter Dealers, The Good and The Bad" section for the scooter dawg forum.

Wow, that's disconcerting. Seems like there are way more bad then good experiences.

DJE
Prima pipe
UNI filter
125 Main Jet
2000RPM Stall Spring
1500RPM Clutch Springs
NCY Front Forks
NCY Secondary Shieve
rajron

Post by rajron »

What are the anticipated gains with a high lift cam on an otherwise stock motor and xmission, if used daily on the streets?
djelliott

Post by djelliott »

rajron wrote:What are the anticipated gains with a high lift cam on an otherwise stock motor and xmission, if used daily on the streets?
Well at this point I've removed my airbox and replaced it with a UNI filter taking in a ton more air. I had to jet my carb to a 120 main just to keep it from falling on it's face. Now that I'm introducing way more air and fuel the hi cam will help by opening the valves earlier and for longer to get the motor to take the biggest gulp it can. More air, more fuel, more power :) .

DJE
Prima pipe
UNI filter
125 Main Jet
2000RPM Stall Spring
1500RPM Clutch Springs
NCY Front Forks
NCY Secondary Shieve
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

I've said it before, but here's another plug for Autotech355 on eBay.
I buy parts from him all the time. He answers questions quickly and honestly(Even if the answer is "Hell if I know"), and will even help trying to find parts that he doesn't normally stock.
djelliott

Post by djelliott »

Kaos wrote:I've said it before, but here's another plug for Autotech355 on eBay.
I buy parts from him all the time. He answers questions quickly and honestly(Even if the answer is "Hell if I know"), and will even help trying to find parts that he doesn't normally stock.
I haven't bought anything from him yet, but I have sent him about a dozen emails and can verify that he responds quickly and is always eager to help you.

DJE
Prima pipe
UNI filter
125 Main Jet
2000RPM Stall Spring
1500RPM Clutch Springs
NCY Front Forks
NCY Secondary Shieve
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Kaos wrote:I've said it before, but here's another plug for Autotech355 on eBay.
+!

He's probably the most helpful and honest parts guy I've run across. I've not run across any negative comments on him in any of the forums I've browsed. He'll even go out of his way to get things that he doesn't normally stock if you ask him.

He also ships quicker than other Taiwan dealers that I've ordered from.

I highly recommend going through him, just don't buy blind. Ask him if you're unsure, he'll answer.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
beeporama

Post by beeporama »

djelliott wrote:
ERik3tb wrote:Here is a link to the "Scooter Dealers, The Good and The Bad" section for the scooter dawg forum.

Wow, that's disconcerting. Seems like there are way more bad then good experiences.

DJE
People are always happy to complain about bad experiences, but rarely mention when a transaction goes smoothly!
ERik3tb

Post by ERik3tb »

That's so sad, but so true.

That's why, I make an effort to comment whenever I have a good experience.
Heroism is being scared as hell and saddling up anyways - John Wayne
djelliott

Post by djelliott »

ERik3tb wrote:That's so sad, but so true.

That's why, I make an effort to comment whenever I have a good experience.
Yeah, that's why I sing the praises of POC every chance I get. I'm blessed to have a resource like them right here in my town.
Prima pipe
UNI filter
125 Main Jet
2000RPM Stall Spring
1500RPM Clutch Springs
NCY Front Forks
NCY Secondary Shieve
Becktastic

Post by Becktastic »

Not exactly scooter parts, but I ordered a custom seat cover for my bf from scooterseatcovers.com and was horribly dissapointed. She did eventually refund me, but only after I waited patiently for two months while she made excuses or ignored my emails altogether. Luckily, I found someone else to make it...and ship it to me mere days later.
Lift heavy eat clean!
KCScooterDude

Post by KCScooterDude »

For general scooter/cycle gear and accessories I've had good experiences at motorcyclecloseouts.com, DennisKirk.com and bikebandit.com. Bikebandit was particularly good at getting stuff here quickly with the base shipping method.

Oh, and I love the candy from Scooterworks. Never had a bad experience with them either.
Lookin' To Scoot

Post by Lookin' To Scoot »

Becktastic wrote:Not exactly scooter parts, but I ordered a custom seat cover for my bf from scooterseatcovers.com and was horribly dissapointed. She did eventually refund me, but only after I waited patiently for two months while she made excuses or ignored my emails altogether. Luckily, I found someone else to make it...and ship it to me mere days later.
How about a shout out to the company that came through? Seats seem to be a frequent topic of discussion, so a good source would be helpful.
Becktastic

Post by Becktastic »

Lookin' To Scoot wrote:
Becktastic wrote:Not exactly scooter parts, but I ordered a custom seat cover for my bf from scooterseatcovers.com and was horribly dissapointed. She did eventually refund me, but only after I waited patiently for two months while she made excuses or ignored my emails altogether. Luckily, I found someone else to make it...and ship it to me mere days later.
How about a shout out to the company that came through? Seats seem to be a frequent topic of discussion, so a good source would be helpful.
It was actually another MB member, Christy: profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=1604

I'm sure if you want something you could just PM her here, or contact her through her Etsy shop. I was really pleased with her work :)
Lift heavy eat clean!
Syd

Post by Syd »

I stopped by Helmet Harbor last week, looking for a set of visor base plates on my HJC CL-15.

He had one side in a bag, but not the other. He pulled out a display helmet, removed the plates from it, stuck them in a bag and *gave* them to me. He didn't ask if I had bought the helmet from him or anything else.

Granted, he probably gets them for a small fraction of the $10 or so that they sell for, but still. I'm there for my next helmet, that's for sure.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Also, Motorcyclesuperstore.com - good prices, fast shipping
Newenough.com - incredible deals - fast shipping
Scooterworks - fast shipping, free candy
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience. I know a lot of people had similar issues with scooterseatcovers.com last year. I've always promoted the business to members.

Crystal Waters, who runs scooterseatcovers.com, is a well-known and respected member of the scooter community. Because Crystal hasn't been able to fill orders and maintain customer service, she's put scooterseatcovers.com on hiatus and in a letter on her site, she apologizes to those who got stuck waiting and had bad experiences.

Scooterseatcovers.com is a one-woman operation. I think she, like most other scooter goods producers, got overwhelmed with the spikes in demand last year and had a hard time coping with the huge influx of orders while working a full-time job, etc. Even much larger companies were unable to keep up with last year's scooter boom. She had many satisfied customers prior to this, some of whom I know personally, others I know of via forums. I'm sure that when she re-enters the business, she'll be using a sewing contractor or will otherwise be better able to handle the demand.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Becktastic

Post by Becktastic »

ericalm wrote:
Sorry to hear you had a bad experience. I know a lot of people had similar issues with scooterseatcovers.com last year. I've always promoted the business to members.

Crystal Waters, who runs scooterseatcovers.com, is a well-known and respected member of the scooter community. Because Crystal hasn't been able to fill orders and maintain customer service, she's put scooterseatcovers.com on hiatus and in a letter on her site, she apologizes to those who got stuck waiting and had bad experiences.

Scooterseatcovers.com is a one-woman operation. I think she, like most other scooter goods producers, got overwhelmed with the spikes in demand last year and had a hard time coping with the huge influx of orders while working a full-time job, etc. Even much larger companies were unable to keep up with last year's scooter boom. She had many satisfied customers prior to this, some of whom I know personally, others I know of via forums. I'm sure that when she re-enters the business, she'll be using a sewing contractor or will otherwise be better able to handle the demand.
I have seen some of her work in person and it was really nice stuff. I also understand that she got overwhelmed with the scooter boom. However, she was dishonest to me about why she hadn't made my seat cover, all the while filling orders that were placed after mine.
Lift heavy eat clean!
djelliott

Post by djelliott »

Well, I'm happy to say with a little voodoo my hi camshaft issues have been resolved. I pulled the stock Buddy camshaft out and had a friend take it and the new hi cam to his shop and press off the gears. He then pressed the 32 tooth Buddy onto the high camshaft and away we go! I installed it last night and took a quick test ride. HOT DAMN! I don't want to push it to hard with the stock valve springs and my performance valve springs won't be in until next week.

I purchased the new valve springs from www.kspoweronline.com and would like to mention again how knowledgeable and helpful these guys are. They made mention to focusing on parts in the near future for the 125 because they feel it has been quite over looked. Well hooray for them. I can't wait to see what treasures they come up with.

DJE
Prima pipe
UNI filter
125 Main Jet
2000RPM Stall Spring
1500RPM Clutch Springs
NCY Front Forks
NCY Secondary Shieve