Metal "wicker" REAR basket pics?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Drumwoulf

Metal "wicker" REAR basket pics?

Post by Drumwoulf »

Scooterworks is now having a sale on their metal basket designed to look like a wicker one... Does anyone here have a photo of what this looks like on their Buddy so I can check it out? 8)

Sorry, I shoulda mentioned before that I meant the REAR basket, on the rear rack.. :oops:

Gracias,
Last edited by Drumwoulf on Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Namaste,
~drummer~

07 Buddy 125
07 Vespa GT200
Kurt
Dealer

Post by Kurt »

The "wicker" is actually plastic, woven through a metal frame. It's really pretty sturdy. It also mounts nicely through the punch-outs.

The bear is sold by the Negative Image Scooter Club on their CafePress website.
<a href="http://urbanvillagescooters.com">Urban Village Scooters</a>
700 South Clinton Ave.
Rochester, NY 14620
585-643-5540
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Kurt wrote:Image
The "wicker" is actually plastic, woven through a metal frame. It's really pretty sturdy. It also mounts nicely through the punch-outs.
Do you think it would hold securley without utilizing the 'punch-outs'? I don't think I really want to knock those out unless I really, really know I like something on the front, or only use something when absolutely necessary.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

It screws/bolts right into them, so there wouldn't be any other way to securely hold them.
Kurt
Dealer

Post by Kurt »

I don't think this works for a "temporary" mount.

We've put several baskets and racks on the fronts of Buddies. Use the punch-outs and they work well. Don't use them and you get problems.

New front panels ("windshields" according to the documentation) retail for around $50.
700 South Clinton Ave.
Rochester, NY 14620
585-643-5540
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

There is also an all-metal mesh basket.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

Anyone have the basket on their Buddy? How's it hold up, and do things ride well in there? I'm waffling between a basket or saving for the front rack.
Vic

Post by Vic »

I am saving my pennies for both the front and rear "wicker" baskets.

I saw a Bud with the rear basket at WKRP and it looked very nice. There is a removable liner as well as a lid to keep your treasures inside as you scoot down the road.

I did not get to talk to the owner of the basket, so do not know how much use it has seen.

I have a sunset orange Buddy and I think that the "wicker" will really look sharp as an accent. I can't imagine the front basket would hold much, but the back one looked nice sized.

I am going to get the front basket this year. I suspect the front rack would be more useful but the "wicker" basket just looks so cute!

I do wish it were possible to cover the holes after punching them out, I doubt that the big, gaping holes will make much of a fashion statement so it is going to be a commitment.

Cheers,
-v
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

A lot of people have issues with the holes/punchouts in the legshield. I know some member found rubber plugs at a hardware or plumbing store which fit pretty well. I'm hesitant to put a rack or anything on the front because of those things.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Reminds me of the holes you see in restored vintage vespas, original owners put on front/rear racks and the drilled holes are still there now the accessories are all gone.
Becktastic

Post by Becktastic »

I have the black metal rear basket on my Buddy and I love it!

Sorry I don't have a better picture of it on hand.

Paired with a bungee net I can carry an insane amount of stuff in there..
Lift heavy eat clean!
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

Cheshire wrote:Anyone have the basket on their Buddy? How's it hold up, and do things ride well in there? I'm waffling between a basket or saving for the front rack.
I had the metal front basket on for a year and it held up fine. I rarely used it and switched it out for the front rack. My issue with the basket is nothing would stay in it without a cargo net stretched over the top (it is very pothole-y here). When I did use it, I could get a lot of stuff in there.

I use the front rack all the time with a couple of bungees. I often carry a stuffed animal on the front and the rack holds it better. My vote is for the front rack.

Actually, I should post the basket in the for sale section. Hmm.
chloefpuff

Post by chloefpuff »

Becktastic wrote:I have the black metal rear basket on my Buddy and I love it!

How long have you had that? I had an off-brand and after 1 season it was trashed. But I love the convenience of a basket (just dump my junk in it). And it does hold an insane amount of stuff.

I replaced it with a tailbag but it's so much smaller. If the Prima basket is better I might go back to that.
so tough, so pink
Becktastic

Post by Becktastic »

chloefpuff wrote:
Becktastic wrote:I have the black metal rear basket on my Buddy and I love it!

How long have you had that? I had an off-brand and after 1 season it was trashed. But I love the convenience of a basket (just dump my junk in it). And it does hold an insane amount of stuff.

I replaced it with a tailbag but it's so much smaller. If the Prima basket is better I might go back to that.
It's a little annoying to install, because it's universal for bicycles and whatnot. We added some zip ties for extra strength and it has been great. I don't go easy on it either. I haul mail around for my work, heavy school books, gym bag... :)

Plus I can bungee large heavy things to it on the seat behind me. I've carried bags of compost and large rubbermaid totes this way with ease.
Lift heavy eat clean!
Jackie F

Post by Jackie F »

Becktastic wrote:I have the black metal rear basket on my Buddy
Becktastic, what size is the basket? Are there different sizes?

I've seen one that is just a little square.
OScoot!

Re: Metal "wicker" REAR basket pics?

Post by OScoot! »

Drumwoulf wrote:Scooterworks is now having a sale on their metal basket designed to look like a wicker one... Does anyone here have a photo of what this looks like on their Buddy so I can check it out? 8)
Gracias,

Is this the one you're talking about?
It also comes with an "insert" bag to keep things cushioned, but I never use it because it decreases the amount you can haul. Between the basket, the front rack, the floorboard, the pet carrier and the bungee cords, you can't believe the amount of stuff I can carry! You should see me headed to the dump every Saturday with all my recycleables. I get some really strange looks.
Attachments
basket.jpg
basket.jpg (171.07 KiB) Viewed 1721 times
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

I found a blue 13X18 inch milk crate (standard size 13X13) color goes great with my St Tropez..... I am looking at/for a crome bicycle basket of about the same size should look GREAT on it as well. There's also a 15X22 inch out there too. Talk about being able to carry 'crazy amount' of stuff!!!
Kurt
Dealer

Post by Kurt »

The Prima "Milk Crate" metal basket is (LxWxH) 13 x 13 x 10 inches.

The "Wicker" basket is (LxWxH) 11.5 x 13 x 11 inches.
700 South Clinton Ave.
Rochester, NY 14620
585-643-5540
Becktastic

Post by Becktastic »

Jackie F wrote:
Becktastic wrote:I have the black metal rear basket on my Buddy
Becktastic, what size is the basket? Are there different sizes?

I've seen one that is just a little square.
It's 11x11 towards the bottom and widens to 13x13 at the top and about 10" deep. With a bungee net though you can heap things out of it and it truly fits a lot.
Lift heavy eat clean!
Drumwoulf

Re: Metal "wicker" REAR basket pics?

Post by Drumwoulf »

OScoot! wrote:
Drumwoulf wrote:Scooterworks is now having a sale on their metal basket designed to look like a wicker one... Does anyone here have a photo of what this looks like on their Buddy so I can check it out? 8)
Gracias,

Is this the one you're talking about?
It also comes with an "insert" bag to keep things cushioned, but I never use it because it decreases the amount you can haul. Between the basket, the front rack, the floorboard, the pet carrier and the bungee cords, you can't believe the amount of stuff I can carry! You should see me headed to the dump every Saturday with all my recycleables. I get some really strange looks.

Thas it.. Thanks for the pic!
Namaste,
~drummer~

07 Buddy 125
07 Vespa GT200
walky08

Installing basket

Post by walky08 »

Kurt wrote:I don't think this works for a "temporary" mount.

We've put several baskets and racks on the fronts of Buddies. Use the punch-outs and they work well. Don't use them and you get problems.
You mean do not remove them. There is nothing behind the plastic to hold them, as with the top screw. so it seems to be the rational answer. I don't think they will hod well, anyway and will be always tightening back.

I am waiting here for an answer and a screwdriver in hand, but I think I will install the rear rack first and leave the basket for another day,.
kmtscoot

Post by kmtscoot »

In an earlier subject a forum member had mounted something on the front through the two punch outs and later removed it. To plug the holes he/she used hole plugs from this website:

http://www.widgetco.com/hole-plugs?gcli ... awodQz_rUg
2008 Buddy 125 (sold)
2009 SYM RV250
1963 Karmann Ghia
myras_girls

Post by myras_girls »

The front basket isn't huge and I have to use a bungee to secure whatever I put it. I use the rear basket quite frequently!

Just beware of the included mounting brackets.

The included screws (& washers) ripped right through the mesh wire bottom of the basket, leaving holes in the bottom of the basket. The basket fell off my scoot while riding and held up surprisingly well considering it hit the ground at 40+ mph. My scooter shop, Sportique, re-mounted the basket for me.
<a href="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/killerbee ... b/">Killer Bees Scooter Club</a> Fort Collins, CO
walky08

Basket looks good.

Post by walky08 »

This is how mine looks with the front basket. I guess if you want to be practical you have to make those holes. I was hesitant, but .. If I wanted the basket... or the rack... I will think later on how to hide them if necessary. The rack may be a more long term addition than a basket.
Attachments
buddy with basket and rac_modifiedk.jpg
buddy with basket and rac_modifiedk.jpg (103.1 KiB) Viewed 1581 times
Front Black Basket, I love  how it looks
Front Black Basket, I love how it looks
FRONT BASKET 1.JPG (46.67 KiB) Viewed 1581 times
The beautified scooter
The beautified scooter
buddy with basket and rack ver 2_edited-2.jpg (80.19 KiB) Viewed 1581 times
rgbwatcher

Post by rgbwatcher »

Hey, all!

The front racks/baskets/bags/whatever need to be mounted by punching out the little holes in the winsheld. There is a metal mounting bracket with threaded holes behind those plugs that just about anything can be mounted to, including googly eyes and "gun barrels."

Sorry, kmtscoot, but the kinds of plugs that your link recommends will not work to plug the holes afterward. The metal mounting bracket it too close to the winsheld, and the plugs you suggested will pop right back out.

I tried several experiments, and my trials are documented in this thread, if anyone is interested. It includes thread sizes and suggestions from others on how to plug those pesky holes.
viewtopic.php?t=8956&highlight=winsheld

Find the right color paint, and the plugs can match (or compliment) your scooter quite nicely. Of course, I'm lucky that mine is black (GO BLACK!).
Yes, that's Ganesh painted on a scooter. No, it's not mine.
iMoses

Post by iMoses »

I've got two words for you... milk + crate

Lot cheaper and ... scooter trash cool
Attachments
milk crate1.jpg
milk crate1.jpg (151.24 KiB) Viewed 1533 times
Drumwoulf

Post by Drumwoulf »

iMoses wrote:I've got two words for you... milk + crate

Lot cheaper and ... scooter trash cool
LOL! Yes, I agree with you... And it looks better too IMO! :twisted:
Namaste,
~drummer~

07 Buddy 125
07 Vespa GT200
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

walky08: any particular reason you went with the higher mounting position? From the pics, it looks like the basket has two different height mounting options. Just curious if there was a method to your madness. :)
Jackie F

Post by Jackie F »

After having it less than a year, my Prima metal basket is falling apart.

I was looking at bicycle baskets at REI.com and came across a wired Wald front basket that is 14.5 x 9.5 x 9 inches, weighing 2 lbs 12 oz. I'll admit it that it is skinny.

Would I just use some screws and brackets to attach it to my rear rack? I talked about this with an REI sales guy. He thought I could weld it on because "don't all scooterists like to weld things?"

Does the faux leather basket fall apart as easily as the Prima metal milk crate? I really don't like it. If anything, I want to paint it black (which I will have that song stuck in my head for the remainder of the day).

Suggestions?

Thanks
iMoses

Post by iMoses »

See my post a few above yours... milk crates are the best.

They last forever, I've had my milk crate for years. It was in the back of my pickup truck for about 5 years and now on the scoot for two. I have it tied to the rear rack with large zip ties and a bungee net over the top to keep my stuff from bouncing out.
Attachments
milkcrate2.jpg
milkcrate2.jpg (96.24 KiB) Viewed 1420 times
Jackie F

Post by Jackie F »

iMoses wrote:See my post a few above yours... milk crates are the best.

They last forever, I've had my milk crate for years. It was in the back of my pickup truck for about 5 years and now on the scoot for two. I have it tied to the rear rack with large zip ties and a bungee net over the top to keep my stuff from bouncing out.
You know, I might go that route. Thanks
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

If you're not going the lockable top case route, a milk-crate is a really hard option to beat.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Although I like my 18x13x13 milk crate we all have to admit they're not the most stylish....

Want lockable?
http://www.chubbyscruisers.com/shop/met ... p-447.html

Check these out too..
http://bikebuyers.com/PART-BK-TP-305D.htm

http://bikebuyers.com/PART-WIRE-SQU-BSK.htm

http://bikebuyers.com/PART-BK-TP-313FBW.htm
malakai

Black metal Basket for sale

Post by malakai »

All parts, complete. Pick up only. $19

Bought a front rack, don't need it.

Where: Ventura county