Scooter Gardening

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Becktastic

Scooter Gardening

Post by Becktastic »

Not all hobbies mesh well with scootering...but that doesn't mean you shouldn't do them!

It just makes it more challenging...

I have decided to start a garden and my Buddy is helping me haul home all the goods to do so.

Here she is with some potting soil

And Getting some plants:

A paper box fits on end perfectly inside my basket and keeps larger plants safe from the wind. I had to bend some of them a bit to make them fit, but they got home safely!

My little garden is coming together ^_^
Lift heavy eat clean!
rabbitgod

Post by rabbitgod »

Did you have that stuff this morning?

I saw your scoot at the BofA this morning on my way to work.

Back yard is looking good. The wife and I are getting a little garden going too. We want to do the most common foods we eat. Cilantro, garlic, tomatillos, a few peppers, etc.
enzomatic

Post by enzomatic »

rabbitgod wrote:Did you have that stuff this morning?

Back yard is looking good. The wife and I are getting a little garden going too. We want to do the most common foods we eat. Cilantro, garlic, tomatillos, a few peppers, etc.
That's cool, I wish I still had room to garden, some people I know around here have a group called food not lawns and they help you pull up your grass to plant edible stuff.
Looking for ppl to ride with in LA.
kneil67@yahoo.com

Post by kneil67@yahoo.com »

you could spin the back tire to cut your rows dig buddy dig
Becktastic

Post by Becktastic »

I just got it all this morning. You spotted me on my way out to get it :) Had to make a quick stop at the bank to drop off my housesitting money. 8) I'm watching this sweet house in the foothills for most of the month. We're going to have a dinner party where everyone brings a dish and dresses up really fancy :P Think you might want to join?
I have a bunch of leftover seeds if you want to scrounge through them, but buying plants is a little more satisfying. That greenhouse has a ton of seeds in starter cups and only a few sprouts. I got impatient and so I bought those others today. For plants I have an assortment of bell peppers, hot peppers, tomatoes and an eggplant. Seeds are everything from herbs, to soy beans. Only sprouts so far are basil, corn, tomatillo and onion.
enzomatic wrote: That's cool, I wish I still had room to garden, some people I know around here have a group called food not lawns and they help you pull up your grass to plant edible stuff.
That's really cool! There's a group around here called Food not Bombs. They used to give free organic meals to the homeless, immigrants or whoever happened by that day...but the cops told them they had to stop. Apparently it's illegal to share your picnic in the park.
kneil67@yahoo.com wrote:you could spin the back tire to cut your rows dig buddy dig
Brilliant!
Lift heavy eat clean!
kneil67@yahoo.com

Post by kneil67@yahoo.com »

I hope to plant some this weekened and toward the end of the month its been in the 40's this week still to cold but I have my soil turned and cow poop ready
enzomatic

Post by enzomatic »

we have food not bombs around here too, food not lawns is a play on the name.
heh stupid cops, that's like when people get busted for feeding other people's meters.
Looking for ppl to ride with in LA.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

I wish I had a yard with dirt to plant veggies. All I have is a small balcony and a wood deck - no dirt-in-the-ground so I have to do container gardening. I have cherry tomatoes, various peppers and various strawberrys. I need to make a big planter box for string beans.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
rabbitgod

Post by rabbitgod »

Becktastic wrote:I just got it all this morning. You spotted me on my way out to get it :) Had to make a quick stop at the bank to drop off my housesitting money. 8) I'm watching this sweet house in the foothills for most of the month. We're going to have a dinner party where everyone brings a dish and dresses up really fancy :P Think you might want to join?
I have a bunch of leftover seeds if you want to scrounge through them, but buying plants is a little more satisfying. That greenhouse has a ton of seeds in starter cups and only a few sprouts. I got impatient and so I bought those others today. For plants I have an assortment of bell peppers, hot peppers, tomatoes and an eggplant. Seeds are everything from herbs, to soy beans. Only sprouts so far are basil, corn, tomatillo and onion.
I might take you up on that. My wife and I have fancy dress parties every now and then. Not in a while though.

I've been thinking of putting containers on the roof of my carport. I'm not sure how our landlord would care for it, but there's just so much room up there!
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

I haven't found too many activities that aren't, in some way, suitable for some degree of scooter involvement. +1 to you, Becky, for starting a garden. I don't have one now, but have had many over the years.
Nice to see you up and posting again. When are we going to see you two on a ride again? Kitt Peak coming up in May, hint, hint.

Howard
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
bunny

Post by bunny »

Container gardening. Earth boxes. Google it.

I've got a whole bevy of 18 gallon totes made into earth boxes and little tomatoes, cauliflowers, broccolis, cabbages, brussels sprouts, bell peppers, eggplants, onions, leeks, zucchinis, squashes and a whole herb garden growing right now. We're at day 38 and counting. My first harvest will be the tomatoes at 58 days. I am so EXCITED!

I tried ground gardening last year. I live in North Texas. Land of CLAY soil. No amount of hummus, peat, miracle grow garden soil crap will make it garden-able.

the containers are my savior.

BTW, little cauliflowers are cute.
Yes, it's fast. No, you can't ride it.

brape

Post by brape »

enzomatic wrote:

That's cool, I wish I still had room to garden, some people I know around here have a group called food not lawns and they help you pull up your grass to plant edible stuff.
I was watching a wedding show :oops: and they had someone in a city who planted gardens all over the city in peoples lawns, and used those for all her flower arangements.

I like your version better.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

There must be something in the air (uh, spring, maybe?). There's a gardening thread on ModernVespa, too!

I would love to garden but kind of all around suck at it. Seriously, if not for the people who rent across the street, my yard would be worst on block. It's kind of embarrassing. Eventually, I hope to redo much of it with low-maintenance, low-water desert plants so I don't have to mess with it.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

ericalm wrote:Eventually, I hope to redo much of it with low-maintenance, low-water desert plants so I don't have to mess with it.
Succulents and cacti are easy to take care of if they are kept in the right area. If you like pretty plants every spring with little to no effort, I suggest bulbs. Daffodils and freesias will come no matter what just about. I also have Cyclamen which require a lot of water and shade, but have pretty foliage.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

KRUSTYburger wrote:
ericalm wrote:Eventually, I hope to redo much of it with low-maintenance, low-water desert plants so I don't have to mess with it.
Succulents and cacti are easy to take care of if they are kept in the right area. If you like pretty plants every spring with little to no effort, I suggest bulbs. Daffodils and freesias will come no matter what just about. I also have Cyclamen which require a lot of water and shade, but have pretty foliage.
The issue here is that LA is, in its natural state, a desert. Once they got the water flowing (see "Chinatown"), the mild (but dry) weather allowed people to plant any kind of all season anything all over. So we have palm trees, evergreens, and a total mish mash of whatever. Between 1928 and when I bought my house, people planted all sorts of things that needed different amounts of water, pruning at different times, etc. They did this just to annoy me and make me look bad. :)

I've actually considered an artificial lawn, but all the products I've checked out aren't as good as I like. There are some products now that look real, but what I've seen firsthand still feels like rubber and heats up in the sun. Apparently, the stuff made from recycled tires or some such may also contaminate the soil underneath it.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
rajron

Post by rajron »

Like your garden, you have dirt! We have sand and rock.
Gardening is fun, but it’s much different in these parts; the name of the game here in the High Desert is Xerscape.
I think it means you can name each and everyone of your plants, because there are so few of them, and then you put rocks between those plants. Seriously, I have so few plants in my front and backyard I could name them individually; and each individual plant have their own drip. We laugh because I always say; “the dog tore up the lawn”, and what that means is I need to get a garden rake, and smooth out the rocks to leave no evidence of the dog running around.

The neighbors across the street have a small section of artificial lawn; to me it doesn’t look that good. It looks Ok after he cleans it with a blower, then it gets dirty again almost immediately, stray leaves and such are attracted to that stuff, and its weird to see it all green in the winter where everyone else’s lawn went dormant.
TVB

Post by TVB »

ericalm wrote:I would love to garden but kind of all around suck at it. Seriously, if not for the people who rent across the street, my yard would be worst on block. It's kind of embarrassing. Eventually, I hope to redo much of it with low-maintenance, low-water desert plants so I don't have to mess with it.
Go with whatever grows locally. Trying to maintain a lawn of imported grasses styled after a sheep-groomed country estate in soggy England is a recipe for waste and frustration.
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

rajron wrote: Seriously, I have so few plants in my front and backyard I could name them individually.
Ahhh..... Yes, Ralph, Claude, Marvin and don't forget Dwayne!!! :rofl: :rofl:
KABarash

Re: Scooter Gardening

Post by KABarash »

Becktastic wrote:I have decided to start a garden
Looks good Beck, best of luck with it.
When my kids were little I planted almost 1000 sqft veg garden, my ex and I canned and froze stuff. I almost never had to buy produce. It didn't hurt that my neighbors had horses, and you know what they make, Ferteralizer.... :) AND I'm just a few miles from the Necular power plant at Three Mile Island!!!
armacham

Re: Scooter Gardening

Post by armacham »

KABarash wrote: AND I'm just a few miles from the Necular power plant at Three Mile Island!!!

found a picture Image
rabbitgod

Post by rabbitgod »

rajron wrote:Like your garden, you have dirt! We have sand and rock.
Gardening is fun, but it’s much different in these parts; the name of the game here in the High Desert is Xerscape.
I think it means you can name each and everyone of your plants, because there are so few of them, and then you put rocks between those plants. Seriously, I have so few plants in my front and backyard I could name them individually; and each individual plant have their own drip. We laugh because I always say; “the dog tore up the lawn”, and what that means is I need to get a garden rake, and smooth out the rocks to leave no evidence of the dog running around.

The neighbors across the street have a small section of artificial lawn; to me it doesn’t look that good. It looks Ok after he cleans it with a blower, then it gets dirty again almost immediately, stray leaves and such are attracted to that stuff, and its weird to see it all green in the winter where everyone else’s lawn went dormant.
We xeriscape here too. Our neighborhood (becky, sean, and I) is pretty nice though because people planted trees. So the soil in our yards is pretty good. Dig down a few feet though and it's caliche. So the trick for us is to just not dig that far or use earthboxes.

The person who rented before me put a huge layer of river rocks and gravel in the back yard. I rake up a few pounds and it just exposes more. I'm thinking it might be cheaper and faster to buy soil and cover it all up.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

rajron wrote:The neighbors across the street have a small section of artificial lawn; to me it doesn’t look that good. It looks Ok after he cleans it with a blower, then it gets dirty again almost immediately, stray leaves and such are attracted to that stuff, and its weird to see it all green in the winter where everyone else’s lawn went dormant.
I've seen a few that look pretty good. I think it really depends on which product is used, but as I said, even the stuff that looks real still has a lot of drawbacks.

Xeriscaping is appealing on a lot of levels and works well here. It would look good with my Spanish mission style house. I'm hesitant to get rid of the lawn, though, because the house might not look good on the block and because of potential loss of resale value. A house on a neighboring block has done it and I'm pretty sure the neighbors probably hate them for it.

I'm probably going to xeriscape in the backyard, though, when we get around to redoing it. It's currently a giant, cracked cement slab bordered by a few arbitrarily placed trees, including an orange tree which doesn't get nearly enough water.
Vic

Post by Vic »

My grandparents lived In Mesa Az and I never got over the whole thing of having different colored rocks laid down as your "yard". I remember my grandparents having to train their dogs to poop in the stones and when they bought their house the brown rocks in the back "yard" made you have to walk very carefully to not step in a landmine. :P

But, you guys can grow the most BEAU-TI-FUL rosemary without even trying. I am so jealous. I try growing it every single year and manage just enough to dry some to keep me going through the winter but that is about it. :cry:

I am working on tearing up as much wasted lawn as I can so that I can grow food (and not have to mow :D ) This year my goal is to get some fruit trees planted and maybe a dogwood tree started on the south side of the house by the back door. I am betting I can bring them home one at a time on my Buddy.

Last year I went plant shopping on my scooter, I did exactly what you did, cloth bags hanging on the purse hook and boxes strapped down. I found that the nice sturdy boxes that paper comes in that have the lids on them and handles work GREAT for transporting plants home from the nursery and the punchout handles take bungee cords just fine! Just make sure you put a strap across the top of the box so you don't loose it--it WILL blow off (voice of experience there :oops: ).

-v