Buddy manual?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

golfingirl

Buddy manual?

Post by golfingirl »

Has anyone been lucky enough to get their hands on a Buddy 125 manual? I'm anxious to have one. :wha:
Laura
macgawd

Post by macgawd »

You mean the Buddy doesn't already come with a manual? :shock:

Michael
golfingirl

Post by golfingirl »

Well, it came with the standard factory PGO owner's manual. Not terribly helpful. I'm talking a service manual specific to the Buddy. I know there is one for the Stella out there. So I want one for my Buddy if it is available. :cry:
Laura
dahuffy

Post by dahuffy »

Same here!!!
"Cinderella is proof that a pair of shoes can change your life"
sparty

Post by sparty »

I am very suprised by the lack of effort to update the user manual. None of the screenshots matches my Speedometer.
Dave R
Dealer

Post by Dave R »

all the updated paperwork has been a bit slow to come from Genuine, but we have had most everything about the new models, their warranty and road side programs explained to us. We are just so happy the Buddy's are here, heck with the small details ! If we can answer any questions you can't find in your manual we would be happy to do so.
Ducati Seattle/Genuine Scooters Seattle is now on Facebook at
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Genuine-S ... 555?ref=ts
Please become a fan
golfingirl

Post by golfingirl »

I agree... those are just details. I wish I had a dealer where I live that was as helpful. In fact, my dealer won't be carrying Genuine anymore as of this week. Very sad for us. Limits the number of Buddy-fanatics in my city.

I guess we're kinda tech geeks... detail oriented people who like to know every aspect of our new found love... the Buddy. Simply, it would be nice to know what is the best octane level fuel to use. Things like that. I don't like to get all my info from online forums. :shhh:
Laura
BoneGirl

Post by BoneGirl »

The only thing I can help you with is to use 93 octane. The expensive stuff is best in the Buddy and $3.00 for 100 miles is OK with me!
golfingirl

Post by golfingirl »

Thanks BoneGirl,

You use supreme 93 octane, eh? What made you decide to use that? Is it based the compression ratio? Did you dealer tell you to use it? The more expensive the better? I know some engines actually run worse on higher octane depending on the compression etc.

Thanks again. Just need a little rationale. :lol:
Laura
Dave R
Dealer

Post by Dave R »

I will verify with Genuine tomorrow but I would suggest from my experience that an air cooled 9.4:1 compression ratio motor should do fine on any medium grade of fuel sold in the US.
Please become a fan
Beamie

Post by Beamie »

golfingirl wrote: I know some engines actually run worse on higher octane depending on the compression etc.:
I agree. I have a motorcycle that runs badly on Premium.
golfingirl

Post by golfingirl »

Thanks Dave. From the compression ratio and some basic calculations, we figured that midgrade would work, but it's always nice to know what the dealer recommends. I appreciate your time. :)
Laura
Beamie

Post by Beamie »

golfingirl wrote:Thanks Dave. From the compression ratio and some basic calculations, we figured that midgrade would work
There is more than compression in the equation.
My 1976 Bonneville has 7.9 compression and requires no less than 97 octane; that's 97, not 87. It runs 38 degrees of ignition advance.
Ignition advance is just as critical in octane requirements as the compression.

I think the only way you will ever guestimate the requirements are to use a lesser grade of fuel and listen VERY carefully for detonation, then move up a grade.
Dave R
Dealer

Post by Dave R »

Genuine just verified,

"The compression ratio is low enough that premium is not necessary. Mid-grade fuel will be sufficient".

Hope this helps !
Please become a fan
golfingirl

Post by golfingirl »

Thanks Beamie & Dave for your help. I like to know what the dealer recommends but I also need rationale! I'm no expert by any means. My husband's a car buff and knows the inner workings there but scooter, while mechanically basic, has given us much to learn. I'll stick to the midgrade for now and listen very carefully! :whew:

I still want a service manual though. :sigh:
Laura
Dave R
Dealer

Post by Dave R »

oops duplicate post
Last edited by Dave R on Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Please become a fan
BoneGirl

Post by BoneGirl »

I kept thinking I read it in the Owner's Manual but my husband just told me it was recommended by the Dealer. The Manual just says "Unleaded Fuel Only". Sorry if I steered anyone in the wrong direction.
golfingirl

Post by golfingirl »

No problemo BoneGirl. I wish my dealer had recommended something... anything. I have the same flimsy manual. But now I have my hands on the real deal... the PGO service manual for their 100cc & 125cc scooters. Thanks Dave.
Laura
Beamie

Post by Beamie »

BoneGirl wrote:I kept thinking I read it in the Owner's Manual but my husband just told me it was recommended by the Dealer. The Manual just says "Unleaded Fuel Only". Sorry if I steered anyone in the wrong direction.
The manual does have an octane value, but it's not in any standard format that I could find, so it's useless.
sparty

Post by sparty »

[quote="Beamie"][quote="BoneGirl"]I kept thinking I read it in the Owner's Manual but my husband just told me it was recommended by the Dealer. The Manual just says "Unleaded Fuel Only". Sorry if I steered anyone in the wrong direction.[/quote]

The manual does have an octane value, but it's not in any standard format that I could find, so it's useless.[/quote]

Yeah. Most (all?) of the values in the manual are not in US standard. So that aspect of the manual is rather disappointing. I wish they make a new one and let us download it.
Beamie

Post by Beamie »

BoneGirl wrote:I kept thinking I read it in the Owner's Manual but my husband just told me it was recommended by the Dealer. The Manual just says "Unleaded Fuel Only". Sorry if I steered anyone in the wrong direction.
There is a sticker that notes "RQ 92 minimum". But it's not in any standard format that I could find, so it's useless.
golfingirl

Post by golfingirl »

That's what I was talking about earlier when I said we tried to make some simple calculations to determine what octane level to use. My husband (engineer & car buff) tried to do some calculations to convert it to US standard, but it was difficult to find a formula. Crazy! :goofy: So, based on what we found, we calculated midgrade would work. Now, it has been confirmed from the dealer... we'll give it a try... and listen carefully. Thanks again for everyone's input.
Laura
bobk

Post by bobk »

"RQ 92" stands for Research quality 92.

The use of the word quality is what throws most Americans.

In America we had a debate some years ago about what "standard" to rate gasoline with, some folks (most of Europe and the world for that matter) said "Research" and had their facts to prove the standard. While others (mostly in America) said that "motor" is the way to go, and they had their facts to back them.

Fact is, BOTH standards have their merit and while you CAN have two different gasolines that have the same research number that perform differently under "real-world" applications, the same holds true for the "motor" method.

The debate was settled in America by adopting the R+M/2 standard which is simply an average of the two numbers. (Look closely at the sticker at the pump)

To apply this to yourselves, keep in mind that typically the "research" number is much higher than the motor number (remember in the sixties when Gulf sold 106 octane gas?)

Usually when you see in a manual to use octane of "R" or "RQ" or "RON" etc. they are talking research numbers, and those will be much higher than the "average" numbers that we use here. So if you see a number like mid to upper 80's just about anything will do. If you see one in the lower 90's mid grade will be fine. If you see one in the upper 90's to low 100's, then you have a real high performance machine there, and really folks, you should know better. :)

Hope this helps out some.