Help me decide which to buy.

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

glhboy

Help me decide which to buy.

Post by glhboy »

I currently have 3 scooters right now, a 2004 Honda Ruckus, 2006 Honda Metropolitan and a 1990 Zuma. I want something that will do 60mph and can handle some mods, but looks good too.

I think I've narrowed it down a little bit.

Vino 125, Buddy 125, Bajaj Chetak or Stella.

I like the price of the Vino and Buddy, like the looks of the Bajaj and Stella as well. Not sure what to do really. I was always under the impression that the Buddy's were kind of not the best quality.

Any ideas? I will probably trade in my Met for one in the next week.
BlueMark

Post by BlueMark »

The quality of the Buddy is exceptional, if anything out there approaches Japanese build quality it is the Genuine/PGO products.

I don't know much about the Vino except that it is the most cloned bike in the world - so I'm sure there are plenty of accessories available. The buddy has quite a few available, and there is a rumor of a 177cc big bore kit on the horizon and a performance exhaust available, but there isn't much in the way of any other performance mods available. the Stella and Chetak are no longer being produced - but you may still find some at dealerships - they are Vespa clones so there is a whole universe of accessories available.

-Mark
Last edited by BlueMark on Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

To compare all four together is kinda like asking "Should I get a Porsche, Ferrari, Bentley, or Rolls-Royce?" First, do you want a sports car or luxury (modern or vintage)? If you want a sports car then it's Porsche or Ferrari (Buddy vs Vino). If you want a luxury then it's Bentley or Rolls (Stella or Chetak). What it comes down to is what it is you're really looking for.

On the note of quality, I've heard so many good things about the Buddy and Taiwan built scooters (outside of this forum). That's actually what brought over to the site. Originally my girl was interested in the Vino but after research and riding the Buddy we decided on the Buddy. Plus the dealerships in our area that carry the Vino kinda act like @ssholes and treat scooters like they don't matter. Genuine dealerships seem to really care a lot and when it comes to service the scoot I definitely rather deal with someone that's motivated about my scooter being in the best possible condition.

Check this out: Buddy VS Vino

Hope it helps :)
Last edited by Corsair on Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
glhboy

Post by glhboy »

Thanks for the information. I like the idea of rewiring the stock signals and taking off the DOT ones on the Buddy. I saw a lot of them at WKRP and they were hauling ass. There is a dealer here that has a few leftover Bajaj's left I could get.

Here is a pic of my Ruckus:
Attachments
grayruck.jpg
grayruck.jpg (49.49 KiB) Viewed 1335 times
AxeYrCat

Post by AxeYrCat »

Hey, I was the SCUM-Buddy at WKRP. We met for a minute outside the Gypsy Hut, and I was talking to you about your brake kit...

Anyway, if you ever want to take a Buddy out for a while, I'd be happy to let you beat on mine for as many miles as you needed to decide whether or not you like it (within reason, of course). :D :lol:

Granted, I know that's a bit of a trek to ride a scooter when you could probably find one closer, but hey, should you want to, consider it an open offer.
Huh? What just happened?
glhboy

Post by glhboy »

AxeYrCat wrote:Hey, I was the SCUM-Buddy at WKRP. We met for a minute outside the Gypsy Hut, and I was talking to you about your brake kit...

Anyway, if you ever want to take a Buddy out for a while, I'd be happy to let you beat on mine for as many miles as you needed to decide whether or not you like it (within reason, of course). :D :lol:

Granted, I know that's a bit of a trek to ride a scooter when you could probably find one closer, but hey, should you want to, consider it an open offer.
Yeah I remember your scoot. We parked by each other there after it rained. I would like to ride it, but not sure when I would be in Cinci next.

What kind of top speed are you getting?
AxeYrCat

Post by AxeYrCat »

The speedos aren't particularly accurate, but I've maintained indicated speeds of 75-ish...

We're all esitmating that the speedos are about 10% optimistic, so probably around 68mph.

Personally, though, I don't like going much faster than an indicated 65 -- I feel like I'm getting blown around more than I like to be at those speeds. :wink:
Huh? What just happened?
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

If you're looking to easily hit 60mph, the Bajaj may not be the answer for you. It will do it, but it will take a long time to get there. From my experience, the Buddy is much quicker/faster/more efficient/more reliable than the Bajaj. However, the Bajaj did have a nicer ride.
henryc

Post by henryc »

I have a 2005 Stella and a 2006 Buddy. Of course, the Stella and the Chetak are no longer being made (although LML, the Indian company that made Stellas, is supposedly resuming production of its model that was badged as the Stella in the US), so you'll have to get a used scoot if you go for one of those. The Stella is a two-stroke and the Chetak is a 4-stroke, and everyone says the Stella is faster; parts for the Stella are almost all the same as those for the Vespa PX, but I would be more concerned about parts availability in the future for the Chetak. Between the Buddy and the Stella, your decision is whether you want a twist-and-go automatic or a 4-speed. I like riding both but enjoy the manual transmission on the Stella. Also, if you are into modifications there is a whole lot more you can do with a Stella--check out www.stellaspeed.com. The Buddy seems faster off the line than the Stella and is easier to ride. I bought the Buddy for my wife but have probably ridden it more than she has!
Blue 2005 Stella
Creme 2006 Buddy
Black and tan 2004 Vino 50
glhboy

Post by glhboy »

Thanks for the help. I'm leaning towards the Buddy 125 more and more, but I love the look of the Stella and Chetak as well. I don't mind the shifting either.

I should have kept my Aprilia SR50 Ditech I had last year. It would do about 55mph most of the time and 60 with a good wind.
mlstephens

Post by mlstephens »

Corsair wrote:To compare all four together is kinda like asking "Should I get a Porsche, Ferrari, Bentley, or Rolls-Royce?" First, do you want a sports car or luxury (modern or vintage)? If you want a sports car then it's Porsche or Ferrari (Buddy vs Vino). If you want a luxury then it's Bentley or Rolls (Stella or Chetak). What it comes down to is what it is you're really looking for.
I would agree that it comes down to what you're looking for, however I'd change the car reference: Buddy vs Vino is more like Mazda (zoom zoom) to Honda, and Stella vs Chetak is like Alfa Romeo vs Triumph. Just my opinion of course.
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

mlstephens wrote:I would agree that it comes down to what you're looking for, however I'd change the car reference: Buddy vs Vino is more like Mazda (zoom zoom) to Honda, and Stella vs Chetak is like Alfa Romeo vs Triumph. Just my opinion of course.
yeah I thought about better comparisons after I posted.. but hey the point was made ...lol
Keys

Post by Keys »

I had a Bajaj Chetak. Great machine, I loved it, but DO NOT expect it to do 60 unless you are on a serious downhill. I touched 70 a time or two downhill, but that engine was screaming!! 50 - 55 is the realistic tops. Also, parts should be available for 5 years. After that, you're on your own.

--Keys 8)
"Life without music would Bb"