[NSR] Totaled.. New motorcycle? >=]

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

jmsmith802

[NSR] Totaled.. New motorcycle? >=]

Post by jmsmith802 »

So my scooter is now officially totaled (I was hit a few weeks ago). I'm thinking of getting this beautiful 1972 Honda CB350 to replace my scoot. I can't get over how good it looks.. I have been craving more power for a while too, and I think a motorcycle is going to be the right choice :twisted:

jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

If you know how to shift, it's cheap, and it runs perfectly fine, go for it.
Coffeejunkie

Re: [NSR] Totaled.. New motorcycle? >=]

Post by Coffeejunkie »

jmsmith802 wrote:So my scooter is now officially totaled (I was hit a few weeks ago). I'm thinking of getting this beautiful 1972 Honda CB350 to replace my scoot. I can't get over how good it looks.. I have been craving more power for a while too, and I think a motorcycle is going to be the right choice :twisted:

It was actually this model bike that almost made me not buy my scoot. It really just is a pretty machine.
Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

http://javascoots.wordpress.com/
broke

Post by broke »

jmsmith802 wrote:I'm thinking of getting this beautiful 1972 Honda CB350 to replace my scoot.
I still see so many of those older CBs on the road, they must be either well-built or easy-to-repair... Seems like a good choice for a vintage bike to me.
Want and need divide me. Mekka-lekka hi mekka hiney ho!
jmsmith802

Post by jmsmith802 »

broke wrote:
jmsmith802 wrote:I'm thinking of getting this beautiful 1972 Honda CB350 to replace my scoot.
I still see so many of those older CBs on the road, they must be either well-built or easy-to-repair... Seems like a good choice for a vintage bike to me.
You're right, they are both. The CB350 is the best selling motorcycle of all time in the USA with 300,000 sold. Parts are everywhere, and there are many around that are in great condition. This particular one has only ~4,000 miles.
kazoo

Post by kazoo »

broke wrote:
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

Just a suggestion. Dependable, only 675cc, great mileage, spare parts readily availble if ever needed.

siobhan

Post by siobhan »

The CB350 is a wonderful small bike. If you know how to do a bit of work, it'll never let you down. Get it.

Honda...we make it sim-ple.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

jmsmith802 wrote:So my scooter is now officially totaled (I was hit a few weeks ago). I'm thinking of getting this beautiful 1972 Honda CB350 to replace my scoot. I can't get over how good it looks..
I agree, that one certainly appears to be in great original shape. As it happens, the first real motorcycle I ever rode was a borrowed 1972 CB350. Just a lovely little motorbike.

I'm just curious. If you don't mind me asking, what do they want for it?
djelliott

Post by djelliott »

The CB350 is a great bike. I've been looking at them as well. I'll get one when I find a deal. Also, Dennis, that Triumph is just downright MEAN looking. I love it! What's the price tag on that bad boy?

Dustin
Prima pipe
UNI filter
125 Main Jet
2000RPM Stall Spring
1500RPM Clutch Springs
Dr. Pulley Variator with 11 Gram Sliders
NCY Front Forks
Prima/NCY 161cc Big Bore kit With 150 Head
KS Power GY6 Performance Springs
NCY Secondary Shieve
broke

Post by broke »

A friend at work is going to buy one of those Triumphs as well... he just needs to sell his Suzuki SV650 first :twisted:
Want and need divide me. Mekka-lekka hi mekka hiney ho!
jmsmith802

Post by jmsmith802 »

That actually isn't the photo of it, but in the craigslist photos it looks just as good, if not better. They want $1250 for it, which is a good price because KBB.com suggested something like 1350. They said it was restored in 04' and carbs "need a little sync". I have yet to speak with them, but I hope I can get it soon because it's all I can think about :P
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

That actually sounds like a great deal! I love old Hondas.
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

jmsmith802 wrote:That actually isn't the photo of it, but in the craigslist photos it looks just as good, if not better. They want $1250 for it, which is a good price because KBB.com suggested something like 1350. They said it was restored in 04' and carbs "need a little sync". I have yet to speak with them, but I hope I can get it soon because it's all I can think about :P
That doesn't sound like such a good deal. I wouldn't pay more than $800-$1,000 for a titled, well-running 350. If it doesn't have title, that'll run you another $85 to $110 to go through a title company.

You'll want to check out: http://www.vjmc.org/
djelliott

Post by djelliott »

jmsmith802 wrote:That actually isn't the photo of it, but in the craigslist photos it looks just as good, if not better. They want $1250 for it, which is a good price because KBB.com suggested something like 1350. They said it was restored in 04' and carbs "need a little sync". I have yet to speak with them, but I hope I can get it soon because it's all I can think about :P
Hey there's one selling in Cleveland on craigslist that's in nice shape for about the same price.

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/mcy/1115926653.html
Prima pipe
UNI filter
125 Main Jet
2000RPM Stall Spring
1500RPM Clutch Springs
Dr. Pulley Variator with 11 Gram Sliders
NCY Front Forks
Prima/NCY 161cc Big Bore kit With 150 Head
KS Power GY6 Performance Springs
NCY Secondary Shieve
enzomatic

Post by enzomatic »

I really want a cb350 toooooo, wait is that the 4 banger one or the 2?
Looking for ppl to ride with in LA.
jmsmith802

Post by jmsmith802 »

enzomatic wrote:I really want a cb350 toooooo, wait is that the 4 banger one or the 2?
Yes it is a 4. Its called a CB 350 Four I think.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

jmsmith802 wrote: Yes it is a 4. Its called a CB 350 Four I think.
Whoa. This thread took an odd turn. The photo above is a CB350 which is a twin and is indeed the most popular model bike Honda ever sold in the US as you said. I owned one once in that same gold color and she was a sweetie. The 4 cylinder 350 is a completely different bike. Never sold well and I am not so sure about parts availability. Of the Honda 4s, the 750 was the one that really caught on. The 350/4 looks like this.
Attachments
CB350f-4.jpg
CB350f-4.jpg (27.24 KiB) Viewed 2316 times
cadillaczac

Post by cadillaczac »

I have two cb's now, a 350 and a 360. Both highly dependable machines, if the carbs are set right...
Ventures Scooter Crew
Ventura County
www.camarollersscooterclub.blogspot.com
enzomatic

Post by enzomatic »

a guy down the street has a 350 four, he said they were pretty rare.
Looking for ppl to ride with in LA.
cadillaczac

Post by cadillaczac »

Yeah, the 350 four is a rare breed, many of them didn't survive next to the 550 four and the 750 four. The guys over at Kott motorcycles also told me that the 350 and the 360 are known to have issues with the cam chain. I really haven't had any isues with mine other than the carbs, and I believe its due to the fact that either the idle mixture screw or the idle screw backs out on their own...
Ventures Scooter Crew
Ventura County
www.camarollersscooterclub.blogspot.com
KCScooterDude

Post by KCScooterDude »

I found a 1981 Suzuki GS550L. These older bikes are sitting around garages and all that's wrong with them is the carbs need cleaning, maybe some new tires, etc. I paid $425 for the bike, spend about $180 in supplies, a windshild and a new front tire and it rides like new.

One thing I will say. If you commute or do around town stuff, stick with a scooter. The motorcycle is great for longer rides at speed, but you'll miss the storage and convenience (esp. not shifting in traffic) of the scooter.

I've got to say. I like the power of the motorcycle (even though it's just a 550), but after riding one for a while I would probably go with a maxi-scoot like a Burgman 400 or 650 as a good all-rounder.
KCScooterDude

Post by KCScooterDude »

cadillaczac wrote:I have two cb's now, a 350 and a 360. Both highly dependable machines, if the carbs are set right...
Do you have a Colortune?

You have to get them from the UK, but they are the greatest thing ever invented. You can tune the carbs perfectly in seconds.

http://www.carbtune.com/colortune.html
KCScooterDude

Post by KCScooterDude »

siobhan wrote:
That doesn't sound like such a good deal. I wouldn't pay more than $800-$1,000 for a titled, well-running 350. If it doesn't have title, that'll run you another $85 to $110 to go through a title company.

You'll want to check out: http://www.vjmc.org/
I agree. You are getting ripped off if you pay more than $500 bucks. If it was running great with a title, had no tear in the seats...I mean perfect, maybe pay $1,100 or $1,200. See my post about the Suzuki I found.
jmsmith802

Post by jmsmith802 »

I was wrong, its not a four. And KBB.com suggests 1385, and they are a pretty trustworthy website
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

get disc brakes for the front lol
jmsmith802

Post by jmsmith802 »

It has disk brakes..?
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

KCScooterDude wrote:Do you have a Colortune?
You have to get them from the UK, but they are the greatest thing ever invented. You can tune the carbs perfectly in seconds.
I'm not sure how you use one of those to balance a multicylinder engine. I use a TwinMax on my Ural. It is essentially balancing the air mixture into two cylinders and works great.
http://www.adventuremotogear.com/twinmax-p-28.html
KCScooterDude

Post by KCScooterDude »

Dooglas wrote:
KCScooterDude wrote:Do you have a Colortune?
I'm not sure how you use one of those to balance a multicylinder engine. I use a TwinMax on my Ural. It is essentially balancing the air mixture into two cylinders and works great.
http://www.adventuremotogear.com/twinmax-p-28.html
My Suzuki is a four banger - it's easy.

You remove the spark plug, hook up the Colortune and then adjust the carb until you have even, consistant spark all the way around. It essentially comes with a spark plug that's small enough that you can look down inside and see the spark. Coolest thing in the world - especially fun at night. Simple and it works amazingly.
jmsmith802

Post by jmsmith802 »

So I bought the bike tonight, for 1000. Its so beaautiful in person.. I'll have to take pictures of it soon 8)
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

jmsmith802 wrote:So I bought the bike tonight, for 1000. Its so beaautiful in person.. I'll have to take pictures of it soon 8)
Wow - awesome. This thread has gotten me interested in those... can't wait to see pics!
Tenchi

My summers in Massachusetts--Honda CL175 Heaven!

Post by Tenchi »

When I was a wee nipper of a lad (16 or so) I began to spend my summers with my Aunt Mildred and Uncle Lefty in a little town called Rochester. They let me use their CL 175 to get around. I still remember that little thumper to this day, the freedom it gave me. The 70's vintage Honda twins were the best thing since sliced bread. The family would get together on a hot summer night and go for rides through the woods on the old fire trails, chasing whatever jumped out of the bushes--my crazy cousin Edgar even chased a skunk once! Fortunately, the skunk wasn't interested in making a scene and got away. Late in my first summer there, unfortunately, I did something stupid (like most 16-year old guys) and popped a wheeley on their front yard, and ran into the concrete porch, twisting the forks and bending the front rim into a pretzel.....thank goodness Uncle's shotgun wasn't loaded that day....
jmsmith802

Post by jmsmith802 »

Here it is!
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

:wtf: stunning.

:clap:
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

jmsmith802 wrote:Here it is!
Very nice! It'd look real good with some clubman handlebars on it :)
jmsmith802

Post by jmsmith802 »

Yeah I want to put some on it, but my priority is getting new tires! It would look soo good with those bars... :twisted:.
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

Oh such a beauty! How's it running? You having fun yet?! Good job on getting the price down...KBB is useless for pricing vintage anything.

You may want to look into getting collector's insurance instead of regular m/c insurance. I'm not sure if you need to have a vintage car on the policy first, but we have all of our bikes (and cars) except my Buddy on Hagerty and it's stoopid how cheap it is.

http://www.hagerty.com/auto/vehicle_motorcycles.aspx
shawnie

Post by shawnie »

that's really sweet!
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

siobhan wrote:Oh such a beauty! How's it running? You having fun yet?! Good job on getting the price down...KBB is useless for pricing vintage anything.

You may want to look into getting collector's insurance instead of regular m/c insurance. I'm not sure if you need to have a vintage car on the policy first, but we have all of our bikes (and cars) except my Buddy on Hagerty and it's stoopid how cheap it is.

Holy crap, now that my Buddy is my daily driver they'll insure my drag-wagon for $180 a year!!!
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

Kaos wrote:
Holy crap, now that my Buddy is my daily driver they'll insure my drag-wagon for $180 a year!!!
So you gonna take me out for dinner?

We even have "acts of God" on the car policies and it's still something like a hundred bucks a year.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

siobhan wrote:
Kaos wrote:
So you gonna take me out for dinner?

We even have "acts of God" on the car policies and it's still something like a hundred bucks a year.
Sure, look me up next time you're in Portland :P
r0sa

Post by r0sa »

OMG! how stunning!

put some gator boots on that bad boy!!
r0sa

Post by r0sa »

and cafe it out!!

[only if you want to though 8) ]
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

That is sweet! Looks like it is in showroom condition. What a great find.

Two thumbs up. If I had three thumbs, I'd give it three thumbs up!

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
alienmeatsack

Post by alienmeatsack »

I agree, great find and beautiful looking too!

Ive been looking at maybe getting something like this maybe by next summer... and now I got the fever. but have so many other things to do with the $ first.

Enjoy it!
Dead Bunny SC | Tumblr: spazscooter | Twitter: @SPAZ_Scooter | Twitter: @DeadBunnySC
email: spazscooter@gmail.com
jmsmith802

Post by jmsmith802 »

siobhan wrote:Oh such a beauty! How's it running? You having fun yet?! Good job on getting the price down...KBB is useless for pricing vintage anything.

It's running pretty well, I don't think it had been used in quite a while. Still starts in one kick (cause its a honda)! I did a little adjusting with the carbs and idle, adjusted the clutch cable, chain, breaks and all that, new throttle cable cause it broke on me, new flasher relay, but it still needs more work. Carbs need to be synced, timing probably needs adjusting, and its running rich cause it starts without the choke. The left cylinder runs smooth with a consistent pop-pop-pop from the pipe, but the right side doesn't have a consistent rhythm and sometimes backfires while decelerating. Needs new tires cause the sidewalls are cracked. I'll probably take it to a friend who knows how to work on it. It vibrates quite a bit past 55mph, but I think it might be from the aftermarket pipes, or cause it needs a tune-up. The pipes are ridiculously loud.. but they sound badass :P . As for insurance I have already got it for a good price from AAA. I've put a few hundred miles on it and I'm in love with it. I get lots of looks and waves and questions about it :D
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

what a beautiful bike! Congrats on your terrific find. I've been looking at some CBs around my neck of the woods, almost bought a cb200 cute little red and white bike that they wanted like 800 bucks for, unfortunatly someone else snached it up before me:( They look like they'd be fairly easy to work on as well which is a big plus.
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

jsmith802 wrote:... but the right side doesn't have a consistent rhythm and sometimes backfires while decelerating.
That could just be the exhaust gasket... at least that what happened with my Prima. Same exact thing with the backfire on deceleration. But then again it could be something different since it's a completely different bike.

But seriously congrats, that's a sweet CB!
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

i t i s a g o o d b i k e
Orange Guy

Post by Orange Guy »

I think I might be picking up a 1971 CB350 on Tuesday. It is in ROUGH shape ...but it's only $100.
I suppose I should be upset, even feel violated, but I'm not. No, in fact, I think this is a friendly message, like "Hey, wanna play?" and yes I want to play. I really really do.

Orange Guy, Inc.