A question [mostly] for the ladies of Modern Buddy...

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

AxeYrCat

A question [mostly] for the ladies of Modern Buddy...

Post by AxeYrCat »

Stacey, my fiancé, is less than thrilled about the fact that every time she puts a helmet on, she essentially takes all of her makeup off. This bothers her.

Personally, I don't like the idea of anything less than a full-face, and she definitely understands the safety implications of riding with less than that. While I'm sure a 3/4 would be fine, it's really not something that we're willing to compromise on. (This is by no means intended to start a discussion/argument re. style of helmet -- please just understand that we, personally, don't want to go with less than a full-face.)

Would a modular/flip-front helmet be the way to go here, or should she just accept that her lid will always act as a handy-dandy-makeup-remover?

Thanks! :D
Huh? What just happened?
louie

Post by louie »

Makeup? :shock:
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

The best advice I can think of (other than safety first) is for her to go try on a Flip-Up.
weaseltamer

Post by weaseltamer »

i would recommend just wearing less make-up. maybe just some foundation, not only is the make up getting rubbed arounf or getting messed up on her face but eventually it will be all nasty stained and gunky on the inside of the helmet. So when she has to ride try a more natural look, or my only other suggestion:

when i'm putting my helmet on, i can press it harder on the back of my head to avaoid bumping my glasses. or to one side to keep and earring from breaking. if she could manage to not let the helmet padding rub her whole face (also hold the tie straps outwards, to life back the cheek pads some) she could lessen the amount rubbed of.

from a girl :wink: and good luck
AxeYrCat

Post by AxeYrCat »

Thanks for the input thus far. :)

And it's not that she wears a lot of it, but she doesn't like that (as was mentioned) what she does wear often tends to end up more on the inside of the helmet than on her. :wink:

I didn't know if a flip-up would help that situation at all (putting the helmet on and taking it off seem to be the major conflicts)... We'll have to give one of those a try.
Huh? What just happened?
rickyd410

Post by rickyd410 »

I'm still trying to deal with helmet hair. I have curly hair, and having the helmet on completely flattens it. Sucks.
Scootin_in_MS

Post by Scootin_in_MS »

1. Flip up helmet - spread the edges a little as you're putting it on

2. Bare Escentuals make-up - won't come off til you wash it off.

3. Wear a bandana - packs your hair in place instead of getting all rubbed around by your helmet. Still gets smashed a little, but you can fluff it back up...

Jody
JuliaGrace

Post by JuliaGrace »

I'd say try and get her to go with less of the makeup - it really will gunk up the inside padding of the helmet. In particular, I would say avoid using foundation if at all possible, because in my experience that's been the biggest "gunkifier."

I pretty much stick with doing just the eyes (eyeliner and mascara) and using minimal concealer becauseI really don't enjoy having to frequently wash the helmet padding.

However, I'd first try telling her that you find her even more beautiful without makeup covering her face (if you haven't tried that already) :)
That'd probably work on me :wink:

Cheers,
Julie
hangukhurley

Post by hangukhurley »

I use a flip-up and love it. I wear some makeup but it's never been an issue--never thought of it before--and I used to use a 3/4 helmet and now a flip-up.
- hangukhurley & Frenchy...Pretty in Pink!
soccerbaybe

Post by soccerbaybe »

Ummm...is she wearing her helmet backwards? Seriously.

My helmet doesn't take off my makeup.
lojical1

Post by lojical1 »

soccerbaybe wrote:Ummm...is she wearing her helmet backwards? Seriously.

Hilarious! But seriously, she may want to wait until u get where ur going to apply her foundation (or forgo that in general). Full face is definitely the way to go. Look at it this way, she can be a little less attractive for a little bit, or not attractive permanently from lack of adequate protection in a really bad accident. Not saying this will happen, but its possible. I'm getting an HJC CL-Max modular and I can't wait to rock it!
hangukhurley

Post by hangukhurley »

I'm getting an HJC CL-Max modular and I can't wait to rock it!
I have that helmet and I LOVE it! I used to have a Vega Summit II and I liked that modular helmet, but it didn't fit quite right. Then I tried the AFX modular helmet and that didn't fit my head at all. I finally bit the bullet and paid a bit extra for the HJC CL-Max. It fits me perfectly! I can see and feel (in my opinion, anyway) the slightly higher quality, too. Let me know what you think when you get it. Thanks!
- hangukhurley & Frenchy...Pretty in Pink!
AxeYrCat

Post by AxeYrCat »

soccerbaybe wrote:Ummm...is she wearing her helmet backwards? Seriously.

Umm... No. :P

It's actually my old helmet, and there's really more padding in there than is necessary. I bought it primarily for road racing (in cars), so getting in and out of it were never really big considerations for me.

Since that's the only full-face she's ever had on her head, I didn't know if it was going to be an issue or not when we went helmet shopping for her, and I wanted to save us both some time and hassle and just jumping to the modular lids.

Perhaps your helmet is too big? :wink: :P
Huh? What just happened?
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

I think that Stacey should cut down on wearing foundation with a helmet, because all the heat and moisture from the padding might could clog up her pores and give her pimples or even a rash. I'd recommend wearing a very light moisturizer/spot concealer on days she rides, and then applying eye/lip color and/or blush after arriving at her destination. Carry some of those Pond's make-up remover wipes to remove the make-up before shoving on the helmet and riding back home.

Wait, isn't Pride of Cleveland your scooter shop? Because I do believe a lady works there. You could ask her for advice, too.
ModBud #442
AxeYrCat

Post by AxeYrCat »

polianarchy wrote: Wait, isn't Pride of Cleveland your scooter shop? Because I do believe a lady works there. You could ask her for advice, too.

Nope... Metro Scooter here in Cincinnati.

Thanks for the advice, though. :)
Huh? What just happened?
BoneGirl

Post by BoneGirl »

Hey, Chris,

Having seen Stacey in person, she doesn't need much makeup to begin with. The pads in my helmet definitely are tight against me cheek/jaw and I can see how this would rub off makeup applied to those areas. I agree with those gals who suggest no foundation or blush when she plans on riding. I wouldn't change helmets unless it's just one she purchases new for herself.
aerogirl7

Post by aerogirl7 »

Hey Chris! I have a Scorpion full face helmet and haven't really had any issues with make-up coming off. The only place the padding really rubs when you put the helmet on is the cheeks. So, if it comes down to it, Stacey could just carry around a compact and blush and reapply in the cheek area. Oh...and tell her I said hi. :P