First real Buddy ride

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

joelh

First real Buddy ride

Post by joelh »

I got the chance to go for a real ride for the first time today. I rode out in the country for about 40 miles and am totally in love with my buddy! Kept the speedo between 45 and 55 and felt pretty comfortable. Once I got above 55 things felt "different" so I backed it down. We had a fair amount of wind today and every now and then one of those gust would make things interesting.

I did move my feet back on the passenger footrest and really thought that I felt a bit more stable. After a couple of minutes, it felt pretty natural.
axiom007

Post by axiom007 »

I've been wondering what people mean by different or twitchy at the mystical 60mph and up zone. I have ridden plenty of times at the indicated 65-75mph range and have felt absolutely no difference from when I am cruising at 40 to 50(other than the lines on the street going by faster). Just curious. I feel totally comfortable at those speeds.
If you are gonna do it, make darn sure the juice is worth the squeeze.
DO3

Post by DO3 »

axiom007- Do you have other two wheeler experience as well or just the buddy? I agree with you, I've never found the buddy to be twitchy at 55+ either. Although I did think the addition of the small windshield made the scoot feel more stable if that makes any sense.

I grew up on dirt bikes and have spent plenty of time on street bikes from touring bikes to V-twin cruises and a few rockets. Maybe that's why I don't notice any weirdness at speed. Just curious.

Joelh- Glad you enjoyed your country ride. I always like cruising around out in the middle of no where. Kinda relaxing not having anywhere to go but having lots of fun getting there.
axiom007

Post by axiom007 »

I pretty much grew up on two wheels, mostly dirt bikes and cruisers. never been a fan of the rockets.
If you are gonna do it, make darn sure the juice is worth the squeeze.
DO3

Post by DO3 »

I can't say I'd run out and buy a rocket but man are they fun. I take my brothers tuned ZX-9R out every once in a while and man that thing is a rush. First gear pulls somewhere around 70 MPH at 13,000 RPM, it's insane. After about 20-30 minutes it's time to put it back in the garage and walk away. It's way to tempting (and easy) to ride way too fast on that thing.
joelh

Post by joelh »

Other than pedal power, this is my first 2 wheeler since a part ownership in a honda passport when I was 13.

I think the wind resistance feels less predictable once I get above 55. I am sure that I will get more comfortable with time, but I am considering a small windshield.
DO3

Post by DO3 »

joelh-

I seriously dislike the looks of a windshield on any bike but I won't be taking my shorty off the buddy any time soon. I read it was the best bang for the buck mod out there and now I agree. My buddy picked up a good 5 mph on the top end and would probably be getting better mileage if I didn't have it wide open 80% of the time. Plus the bike just feels different in a good way.
planowayne

Post by planowayne »

Wow, I wish I could ride 40 miles and be out in the country for most of it!!! From the DFW metroplex, you pretty much have to ride 40 miles just to get to the country :( . I'll have to learn to love "suburban adventures".
joelh

Post by joelh »

It was really nice. I met very few cars. My dealer is about 40 miles away and I can take 2 lane roads almost all of the way. I am thinking about a road trip for my first oil change.

With regard to windshields. Is the generic shield a good fit, or should I spring for the buddy short windshield?
Keys

Post by Keys »

Planowayne,

C'mon out here to Cottonwood, AZ in June and join me for a ride of about 220 miles or so (two days with one night camping in the mountains) all of it in the country. I'm starting my own annual ride from Cottonwood (elev. 3200 ft.) to Flagstaff (elev. 7000 ft.) on Hwy 89A through Sedona and Oak Creek Canyon, then across "the Rim" on Lake Mary Road to Mormon Lake Lodge for camping. Then finish up Lake Mary Road to Hwy 87 south to Hwy 260. Then I'll be chasing 260 down the mountain into historic Camp Verde and back into Cottonwood. Some of the finest mountain riding in the country (and I'm from Colorado!) on back roads and secondary highways. Fabulous scenery and awesome scooter roads from flat and straight to fast sweeping turns to tight hairpins...it's all here!

--Keys 8)
"Life without music would Bb"
louie

Post by louie »

Keys wrote:Planowayne,

C'mon out here to Cottonwood, AZ in June and join me for a ride of about 220 miles or so (two days with one night camping in the mountains) all of it in the country. I'm starting my own annual ride from Cottonwood (elev. 3200 ft.) to Flagstaff (elev. 7000 ft.) on Hwy 89A through Sedona and Oak Creek Canyon, then across "the Rim" on Lake Mary Road to Mormon Lake Lodge for camping. Then finish up Lake Mary Road to Hwy 87 south to Hwy 260. Then I'll be chasing 260 down the mountain into historic Camp Verde and back into Cottonwood. Some of the finest mountain riding in the country (and I'm from Colorado!) on back roads and secondary highways. Fabulous scenery and awesome scooter roads from flat and straight to fast sweeping turns to tight hairpins...it's all here!

--Keys 8)
i want to go. Sounds like you could start an excursion business.
planowayne

Post by planowayne »

Keys, that is an amazingly generous offer!! I've got a ton of stuff going on in May and June (including a son graduating from college and heading of to Sudan as part of a medical missions team) but I won't rule it out at this point. Sounds like it would be a pretty ambitious trip for a rookie like myself.
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

Keys wrote:Planowayne,

--Keys 8)
I'm also from Colorado and these roads through Arizona are among the most stunning I've every encountered. Sounds like a great trip.
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

planowayne wrote:Wow, I wish I could ride 40 miles and be out in the country for most of it!!! From the DFW metroplex, you pretty much have to ride 40 miles just to get to the country :( . I'll have to learn to love "suburban adventures".
Sure wasn't that way when I was growing up in FW. The country was never more that 20 minutes in the right direction. But, urban sprawl and all that... I hear that towns halfway to Waco are now becoming bedroom communities. Bah!

Fortunately, we have great roads in the middle of the city here in LA, especially the many narrow, twisty routes through hills and canyons. Great riding!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

ericalm wrote:Sure wasn't that way when I was growing up in FW. The country was never more that 20 minutes in the right direction. But, urban sprawl and all that... I hear that towns halfway to Waco are now becoming bedroom communities. Bah!
I know, can you believe it?! Remember when Allen was "The new Plano"? Now freakin' FRISCO is "The new Plano"! And don't even get me started on the gentrification of McKinney. :roll:

/Dallas rant
ModBud #442