Buddy passenger foot rests

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

germ

Buddy passenger foot rests

Post by germ »

I am not sure if anyone has tried this or not but I have recently started riding my Buddy with my feet propped up on the passenger foot rests instead of on the floor board. My legs feel better because they are bent more and it feels like a have better balance because all of my weight is together where legs forward feels funny sometimes. I have been switching it up but most of the time I feel more confortable with my legs on passenger pegs instead of the floor board. This could just be me though. If you haven't tried it yet give it a whirl and see what you think.
golfingirl

Post by golfingirl »

I do this too. Not all the time, but just for a change of position. I also stretch my feet way out front and sit a little further back in the saddle... kinda like a cruiser... that's the position I find most comfortable. Germ, you ride like a sport bike rider and I ride like a cruiser! Another benefit of the Buddy... the flexibility. :D
Laura
KidDynomite

Post by KidDynomite »

I do this too.
Funny, I do this too. It is nice for when you want to get in a crouch and get after it!
You don't wanna get mixed up with a guy like me. I'm a loner Dottie, a REBEL.
mlstephens

Post by mlstephens »

I'm finding that the color is wearing off of the pass. rests rather quickly, and also wish that there were fold-out pegs for 2-up riding. Both issues could be easily fixed with an aluminum plate that would fold out (or flip out). It would be a nice replacement accessory for someone to make and sell.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

My size 11.5 feet are just too big to fit comfortably on the floorboard up front.

The passenger footrests are one of the things I like least (aesthetically) about the Buddy and my first inclination was to put something else there or paint 'em or replace them... whatever. I think fold-out ones would be nice, but am not sure the plastic the footrest is anchored to wouldn't pry away.
MrNatural

Post by MrNatural »

If anyone comes up with, or comes across, an idea to widen those passenger rests......make sure you post it prominently!!
Keys

Post by Keys »

Easiest fix is to make your passenger get their own Buddy...

--Keys 8)
"Life without music would Bb"
mlstephens

Post by mlstephens »

Keys wrote:Easiest fix is to make your passenger get their own Buddy...
Most of the time it is my 6.5 yr old, so that would be a long wait. He could really use some peg footrests now.
Shellee

Post by Shellee »

Here's a link for footpegs:

http://www.heeters.com/footpegs.shtml

I have no idea how they would work on the Buddy.
~ Shellee
Genuine Buddy 170
www.scooterdiva.com
KidDynomite

Post by KidDynomite »

Didn't I read somewhere where one of the board members Line-Xed his passenger pedals?

I can't seem to find the post. I'm wondering how that worked out? I'm strongly considering doing that to mine.
dsleedesign

Post by dsleedesign »

I did the line-x thing on my scoot.

WORKS AWESOME! LOOKS WAY BETTER!!!

I did not take pictures of it specifically, but you can see them in the pictures I posted here:

http://home.comcast.net/~dslee1/scooters/

Cost.... $10. Yep super cheap! They guy just ran it through with another job. They treat plastic different from metal. The stuff you buy at Walmart does not work on plastic!
sparty

Post by sparty »

sorry for the newbie question. What does Line-x do? I goggled it, and it seems to be some sort of spray-on liner for trucks?
hangukhurley

Post by hangukhurley »

I just took my nine-year old for a ride today on my Buddy 125 and she said that the passenger foot rests are much more comfortable than the foot rests on the Vino 125. I was kind of wondering what she would think about them because she really didn't like riding the Vino because of the foot rests...but she loves riding Frenchy! 8)
- hangukhurley & Frenchy...Pretty in Pink!
germ

Post by germ »

There is no question that the footrests suck, but that was not the purpose of this discussion.
KidDynomite

Post by KidDynomite »

dsleedesign wrote:I did the line-x thing on my scoot.

They treat plastic different from metal. The stuff you buy at Walmart does not work on plastic!
I went to my local Line-X today and the goober told me they couldn't do plastic.

Also, does it give any more grip or was it simply for looks?
ka24desc

Post by ka24desc »

Found this on another board.
FYI - everyone. The footrests for the Vespa ET2/4 fit the buddy
perfectly, no adjustments necessary. I am guessing the Buddy folks
didnt do it by accident! I wonder how many other Vespa ET accessories
will fit.
Have fun in life, doing whatever you do whenever you do it.
hangukhurley

Post by hangukhurley »

Cool! 8) Do you know how to install them? How do they attach? Do you have to get the entire cowl protector? Sorry for all the questions.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

hangukhurley wrote:Cool! 8) Do you know how to install them? How do they attach? Do you have to get the entire cowl protector? Sorry for all the questions.
They screw in. I think, on the Vespas, they mainly use holes already drilled into the body/floorboard.

Check out some examples at Motorsport (scroll down) and Scooterworks.

While I wouldn't hesitate to drill into the plastic on the Buddy, I sure wouldn't do it for anything meant to bear weight.
rajron

Post by rajron »

ka24desc;
Can you elaborate; I’m not sure what parts your talking about.
What does Vespa call the part and do you have a part number?
will fit.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

rajron wrote:ka24desc;
Can you elaborate; I’m not sure what parts your talking about.
What does Vespa call the part and do you have a part number?
will fit.
Rajron, see the links in my post above. These are not, to my knowledge, Vespa OEM parts and wioll have different inventory numbers depending on manufacturer and retailer.
rajron

Post by rajron »

Still can’t find them; I looked at pictures of ET 2/4’s and cannot find a passenger foot rests. I checked out Sooterworks printed manual #5 page 29 and see some parts called “floor rail end caps� but can’t find the rests – What page are those foot rests on? I want to replace the plastic ones on the Buddy.
Are we talking about foot rest replacements for the Buddy 125? or are we talking Buddy 50? I have a 125.
MrNatural

Post by MrNatural »

I'm staying out of this except to say that the 50 and 125 have identical bodies rajron.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

The chrome and rubber pieces running across the middle — they're footpegs. We're not talking about the plastic footrest on the Buddy; this is a total add on, not a replacement part.

They're labeled ET-02 in the image (from Motorsport) above.
rajron wrote:Still can’t find them; I looked at pictures of ET 2/4’s and cannot find a passenger foot rests. I checked out Sooterworks printed manual #5 page 29 and see some parts called “floor rail end caps� but can’t find the rests – What page are those foot rests on? I want to replace the plastic ones on the Buddy.
Are we talking about foot rest replacements for the Buddy 125? or are we talking Buddy 50? I have a 125.
Last edited by ericalm on Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
rajron

Post by rajron »

Oh
I saw those I thought it was something to replace the plastic inserts we have on the 125's.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

rajron wrote:Oh
I saw those I thought it was something to replace the plastic inserts we have on the 125's.
Nope. But chrome is GOOD. :)
rajron

Post by rajron »

Chrome would be great!
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

CHROME ROCKS!!!!!!!!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
rajron

Post by rajron »

MrNatural

Just realized what you said, the bodies on the 125 and 50 are the same. Didnt realize that.
Kevin K

Post by Kevin K »

FYI, you can get some great non-slip tape to cover your pegs. Try you local hardware store. 3M makes a good one that comes in grey and will almost match the silver on the pegs, plus it's easy to cut with scissors.
-K
She rides: nothing yet
He rides: crappy 35 year-old Vespa (and 70cc Rattler)

Minnesota Motorcyle Monthly

My SmugMug
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

has anyone actually modded their pegs yet? Maybe taking off the stock and replacing them with fold out ones similar to Vespa's?
BlueMark

Post by BlueMark »

Corsair wrote:has anyone actually modded their pegs yet? Maybe taking off the stock and replacing them with fold out ones similar to Vespa's?
Be sure to install them reversed if they are intended for the pilot.

-Mark
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

BlueMark wrote:
Corsair wrote:has anyone actually modded their pegs yet? Maybe taking off the stock and replacing them with fold out ones similar to Vespa's?

-Mark
you know what that was a very good piece of common sense advice that saves me from having to install them twice. Thanks :)
rablack

Post by rablack »

Corsair wrote:
BlueMark wrote:

-Mark
you know what that was a very good piece of common sense advice that saves me from having to install them twice. Thanks :)
So Corsair, did you actually add pegs? Pictures?
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

rablack wrote: So Corsair, did you actually add pegs? Pictures?
Nope, just planning ahead
rossini

Re: Buddy passenger foot rests

Post by rossini »

germ wrote:I am not sure if anyone has tried this or not but I have recently started riding my Buddy with my feet propped up on the passenger foot rests instead of on the floor board.
This is the only way I ride as well. MUCH better balance with the knees bent.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Is there any trouble getting your feet down at stops? Or do you switch positions when you slow up?

For those wanting passenger footrests, the chrome ones made for the Vespa ETs fit; I've seen 'em on Buddys.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
hangukhurley

Post by hangukhurley »

For those wanting passenger footrests, the chrome ones made for the Vespa ETs fit; I've seen 'em on Buddys.
8) Thanks for the info! I'll definitely have to check into it.
PasadenaSue

Post by PasadenaSue »

I ordered a set this weekend. Still waiting for them to arrive. Best price I found:

scooterpartsdirect.com

foot peg (part ETFP1) $58

I'll post a picture once I get them.
hangukhurley

Post by hangukhurley »

I'll post a picture once I get them.
That would be great! I really want a set. I think they would be more comfortable for my daughter than the foot rests. I'm curious to know if they attach to the plastic.
Elm Creek Smith

Post by Elm Creek Smith »

You know, for those folks who have trouble with enough foot room on the Budd and, like me, aren't limber enough to use the passenger foot "plates," the ET foot pegs might be a good way to lift their heels enough to be comfortable and leave their toes a place to rest. IF someone puts them on his/her Budd, try that and let us know, too.

ECS
Yes, that is my scooter.
Yes, I wear a helmet and a FIRSTGEAR armored jacket.
No, I'm not embarrassed to be seen riding it.
Yes, that is an NRA sticker on the fender.

"I aim to misbehave."
x-mojito50mod

Post by x-mojito50mod »

Here's a pic of the ET4 ones installed, by Motorsport. They fit exactly, but I was told you need to get longer screws.

BTW, Eric, the area where the passenger footpegs screw into is a metal piece thats welded on to the main frame, so stability issues shouldn't be a problem with other pegs. The reason I know; this is the part of the frame that got f'ed up in my accident! And because it was welded to the main frame, there was no easy fix, thus the "totalled" status, FYI.
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

ericalm wrote:Is there any trouble getting your feet down at stops? Or do you switch positions when you slow up?

It's certainly no problem for me and I'm not the most limber person around. I typically ride with my heels on the front half of the passenger foot rests. It's more comfortable for me and I really think the overall balance is better. Like I said in a different post somewhere, it's like having slightly rearset pegs on a sport bike. It tips your head into the wind a little and, overall, just feels "natural" to me.

I would think that adding the pegs as above (which look great by the way) would cause me to bend my legs more because it raises the feet up off the floor board. So it's probably not a solution for me.
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
buddy

Post by buddy »

x-mojito50mod wrote:Here's a pic of the ET4 ones installed, by Motorsport. They fit exactly, but I was told you need to get longer screws.

BTW, Eric, the area where the passenger footpegs screw into is a metal piece thats welded on to the main frame, so stability issues shouldn't be a problem with other pegs. The reason I know; this is the part of the frame that got f'ed up in my accident! And because it was welded to the main frame, there was no easy fix, thus the "totalled" status, FYI.
I really like those! They mount up nicely. One question: Do the pegs stick out much from the floor boards? It looks like they do a little bit, but I can't really tell from the pic.
x-mojito50mod

Post by x-mojito50mod »

buddy wrote:I really like those! They mount up nicely. One question: Do the pegs stick out much from the floor boards? It looks like they do a little bit, but I can't really tell from the pic.
If I remember correctly, about an inch or so.
PasadenaSue

Post by PasadenaSue »

OK, I added the passenger foot rests and you do need longer screws (6 mm x 50mm work nicely). I like the foot rests and they are elevated so they may be more comfortable for kids riding as a passenger. The only drawback is that they take up some space where the driver's feet go. Not a real problem for me, but if you wear more than a size 9 (guys) or 11 (women), then you may not like them.

They attach really easy since they sit on top of the Buddy foot rests. Just remove one screw on each side, and attach with the longer screw. 5 minutes if that. Hangukhurley, they don't attach to the plastic, they screw into the frame the same as the plastic foot rests do. I think this will be a mod that some people will like, and others won't be interested in.

See the previous picture.