Am I safe enough?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

new2buddy

Am I safe enough?

Post by new2buddy »

Well, I've been riding the buddy back and forth from school, and from school to work, and back home late in the night. I'm wearing long thick leather gauntlet type gloves, a long sleeve thick flannel shirt, a full-face helmet with safety reflective tape on it and a bright day glow green safety vest with reflective stripes. I plan on getting a good thick protective leather jacket. And other than my little uh oh getting on the freeway, I try to ride safe. I've taken the MSF course, and my head is looking around carefully at stop lights. Can anyone else suggest ways I can be safer, and perhaps recommend a good jacket? Perhaps one that is day glow green with reflective stripes like my safety vest? Thanks in advance, and ride safely!
DO3

Post by DO3 »

I'd say ditch the flannel for a riding jacket with some armor, but it sound like you're going that route already. I have a Joe Rocket textile jacket that works get, plenty on ventilation for the hot days that can be zipped shut for the cold weather. I've worn it riding in high 30's all the way up to 95 degree days. My only issue is it looks way to sport bike than it should for a guy on a 65 mph scooter. I take hell for the jacket but taking a spill at 65 on a scooter is going to hurt just as bad as taking a spill on a sport bike. Corazzo has a line of scooter jackets that look pretty good, they might look pricey at first but compared to any other decent jacket with armor and they prices look pretty fair.

Sounds like you've got most of the bases covered, MSF, gloves, etc. Some would also suggest good footwear. Riding boots, steel toe boots or just something heavier duty that tennis shoes.
new2buddy

Oops I forgot...

Post by new2buddy »

I also ALWAYS wear my combat boots and long denim jeans. Even if it's hot.
mybetty

Post by mybetty »

www.newenough.com has some really nice gear, and my boyfriend and i both have mesh armored jackets from there. their closeout section is usually a great place to find all kinds of stuff, and they have really really good descriptions and pictures of all of the products they offer. and a nice return policy. no i do not work for them :wink:
i am all for shopping with local people and dealers, but i really do not have any around here. and it seems like if you use the word "motorcycle" or "scooter" to describe anything you can automatically charge a hundred dollars more for it. not cool.
jallen013

Post by jallen013 »

my only two gear rules are to always ride with some sort of eye protection and never ride with sandals (and i occasionally break those). you've got me beat.
2005 stella (blue) :: malossi kit, worb5 crank, 24e carb, TDR epoxy reeds, 22 tooth clutch
AxeYrCat

Post by AxeYrCat »

Yep... Sounds like you're pretty well covered.

New Enough (as mentioned) is really stellar... :D
Huh? What just happened?
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

You might want to read Proficient Motorcycling by Hough. I find reading it a bit tedious, but there are a lot of great safety tips in there.