Im thinking about buying this Buddy 150 Give me your opinion

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

mabankblues

Im thinking about buying this Buddy 150 Give me your opinion

Post by mabankblues »

I was looking on craigslist, and saw this Buddy...
http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/mcy/1118219650.html

What do you guys think? I already have an 08 italia, but i always want someone to ride around with me. This would be cool, because if they wreck I wont care! LOL

What do you guys think? What would you offer him for it?

Thanks,
Josh
Stop and smell the roses, especially if you're scootin'!!!!
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Buy it, ask him if there is rust though. if the engine is shot dead from the flood, you could always order a new one for around 1000 dollars if I remember that's the price...I forgot the exact.

Say if it's a clean bike, no rust, engine is dead for good, just buy a new engine and have a dealer install it.

I'd look at it first, inspect for water damage, rust, anything that looks bad. Anything mechanical can be replaced, but if the frame is all rusted, ignore this bike.
toddrw2251

Post by toddrw2251 »

Sounds like a fun project to me. I am sure the engine just needs to be taken apart and cleaned, oil and gear oil change, carb clean, new air filter and a few new electrical parts such as a CDI. Are you handy at all? There can't be too much rust on an 2008 bike.
Werd, Yo! I'm Rusty.
mabankblues

Post by mabankblues »

I was thinking of offering $500...
Stop and smell the roses, especially if you're scootin'!!!!
toddrw2251

Post by toddrw2251 »

You would have some competition if it was closer to Ohio. :twisted:
Werd, Yo! I'm Rusty.
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

Sounds like Ghetto Buddy II.
n2tattoos

Post by n2tattoos »

DO IT!!!

you won't
Angela

Post by Angela »

k1dude wrote:Sounds like Ghetto Buddy II.
:rofl:

Dude, that was funny. I live in the ghetto.
broke

Post by broke »

Angela wrote:
k1dude wrote:Sounds like Ghetto Buddy II.
:rofl:

Dude, that was funny. I live in the ghetto.
He's referring to POCPhil's rescued scooter:
topic8317.html
Want and need divide me. Mekka-lekka hi mekka hiney ho!
KCScooterDude

Post by KCScooterDude »

Just send me $500 and another $300 or so for what you would put into it. Or, take the $800 and flush it down the toilet. Either way, you will be money ahead instead of buying this thing.

Never buy anything with a salvage title. Never buy anything that's been in a flood. You would be better off buying a Chinese scooter for $500. At least you would be able to license it, insure it and sell it when you are done.

Look, for $500 you can find a 1980s 1,000cc motorcycle that only needs the fluids drained out of it and the carbs cleaned to run like new. And, it will have a clear title. Do a little digging and you could probably find a similar deal on a scooter of that vintage.

If you get engine on this thing sorted out (buying a new one or not) you are still going to have to sort out the electrical gremlins that will appear constantly. Not to mention that that it might not even be safe to ride.

Insurance companies total these things for a reason. I say you'll be money ahead flushing the cash you would spend on this because if you flush the cash, you still wont' have to pay somebody to cart this thing away when you get frustrated with it.
r0sa

Post by r0sa »

well said KCscooterDude

what an eye opener, don't think i want to buy anything with a salvage title :?

the ad says it got flooded down in Galveston, im assuming during Hurricane Ike, well, that area was TRASHED when that storm came through, that poor scooter probably sat in the water for a week or so
KCScooterDude

Post by KCScooterDude »

r0sa wrote:well said KCscooterDude

what an eye opener, don't think i want to buy anything with a salvage title :?

the ad says it got flooded down in Galveston, im assuming during Hurricane Ike, well, that area was TRASHED when that storm came through, that poor scooter probably sat in the water for a week or so
Yeah, and it's not just water. It's salt water. There's a place here near Kansas City that sells bikes with salvage titles. They look like good deals, but honestly you can find something with a regular title on Craigslist that somebody's got in their garage and they just want to get rid of it. If you don't mind getting your hands dirty, maybe have a little help from a mechanically inclined friend, you can get the thing running with little or no effort.

I found a 1981 Suzuki that hadn't ran for years. It took us about four hours over the course of two weeks to get the thing running perfectly. Carbs are not that hard to clean out. Changing the oil is about as easy as it is to change your car's oil. Simple. $425 and I've got a perfectly running 550cc bike that only has 11,000 miles on it. Be patient. You can find deals like this. Just make sure it's got a regular title and hasn't been totalled by an insurance company.