moving... dumb question

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

twilley

moving... dumb question

Post by twilley »

Hello all:

Thinking of buying a Rattler--it's either a Rattler or a Rebel motorcycle--one advantage of the Rattler would be that it is smaller and possibly more portable. I will be doing a lot of moving in the next few years.

So my question is: Can I put a Rattler in a U-haul truck or trailer? Anybody done something like this? Or is it a dumb idea?
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

I'm not too sure about the inside of a truck's trailer, but Uhaul does rent away motorcycle trailers that would work. There are tons of people doing cross country BMX tours where they bring their dirt bikes along in uhaul trailers or the back of a pickup truck.
r0sa

Post by r0sa »

i say sure why not? just strap the motorcycle/scooter down
Keys

Post by Keys »

The Rattler is way smaller. Lighter, too. Even loading it in a pickup, that makes a huge difference. I've owned both and I'd go for the Rattler. The Honda will last forever, but it was created without a personality. I'd opt for personality every time.

--Keys 8)
"Life without music would Bb"
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

Keys, personality? Who'd a thunk it :lol: I'd go scooter too. Not really a fan of bikes under 500cc (dirtbikes excluded). Just my .02
EZPZ #65
twilley

Post by twilley »

yeah... personality :) I think the rattler is cooler for sure, the rebel is like the toyota corolla of motorcycles--I do worry though that it won't be as stable as a motorcycle. I am going to Chattanooga where there are some really windy roads, and I am afraid I won't make it down those all that well on any kind of scooter. I had a Yamaha Vino classic 49cc, and it was so much lower to the ground it felt much more stable and maneuverable than the Rattler.

I am totally torn. And U-Haul doesn't rent motorcycle trailers for one-way moves, I have learned.... !!!#@R$%TY!!!!!

I mean, really, who uses a motorcycle trailer to move in town? Why wouldn't they just ride the darn thing over if they were staying in the same city?
Ray Knobs

Post by Ray Knobs »

Why don't you rent a pickup from enterprise
luckyleighton

Post by luckyleighton »

As long as you strap it down in every direction it should be fine....this is what I use to haul my scooter around (just scroll down and look at the pics).

viewtopic.php?p=78112&highlight=#78112
twilley

Post by twilley »

cool--thanks for the pics that helps a lot!
Ruffles von Roughhaus

Post by Ruffles von Roughhaus »

I plan on moving to DC soon and so two days ago I went over to a local U-Haul to see about their trailers. My Roughhouse seemed to fit snugly in one of those 4x8 trailers. Yesterday I installed a trailer hitch on my Honda Accord 4-cyl., $210. For using the trailer one-way from Rochester to DC, it's apparently $115.

Not a bad deal, if you have the cash to spare. I still have to figure out how to secure the scooter in the trailer.
Ruffles von Roughhaus

Post by Ruffles von Roughhaus »

I've been reading that cheap strap-downs aren't the way to go. Since I'd be using that 4x8 U-haul trailer, what's the best way to strap my scooter down in there? Anyone have any experience?
Ray Knobs

Post by Ray Knobs »

Put scoot in center of trailer. Take 1 ratchet strap from each front corner of trailer up to handle bars. Take 1 ratchet strap from each back corner up to rack. You want to be pulling the bike forward and backward, left and right at the same time. You also was want to compress the suspension when you tighten and make it so tight it stays compress. Otherwise one big bump will kick the bottom out. The use a couple more straps any way you can think of to secure it.

You can also buy one of these and figure out how to bolt it onto the u-haul trailer. If you drilled holes in it they would not notice. If the deck of the trailer is a grate use some big washers

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/D ... mber=97145

Harbor freight is on ridge road by the home depot in Irondequoit
Keys

Post by Keys »

I've used cheap $12 dollar (for 4) cam-style tie-downs from WalMart for years. Never had a failure.

--Keys 8)
"Life without music would Bb"
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

Pack it between soft things and don't worry if it leans into it. Couch on one side, mattress on the other.
EZPZ #65