Motorcycle License Test

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Hillhopper

Motorcycle License Test

Post by Hillhopper »

I've only had my Buddy one month now and have my motorcycle permit. Could anyone tell me what the riding skills test consists of? I'm in KY. Any advice will be welcome!
trevo_man

Post by trevo_man »

Here in Utah it mostly consisted of 4 things. You have to be able to maneuver through a series of cones, swerve to avoid an object, make a quick stop from 30 mph, and make a sharp turn.

This is the Kentucky motorcycle manual. It will tell you exactly what you will be required to do. http://www.kentuckystatepolice.org/pdf/ ... manual.pdf
djelliott

Post by djelliott »

Check this out from the tech forum.

topic6888.html
Prima pipe
UNI filter
125 Main Jet
2000RPM Stall Spring
1500RPM Clutch Springs
Dr. Pulley Variator with 11 Gram Sliders
NCY Front Forks
Prima/NCY 161cc Big Bore kit With 150 Head
KS Power GY6 Performance Springs
NCY Secondary Shieve
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Take the MSF course instead. They train you, test you, and certify you. You come out a much better rider and you get your motorcycle endorsement to boot.
DIPA

Post by DIPA »

:+!: on the msf course...they teach you all the skills you would need for the test, plus many things you wouldn't necessarily learn from riding on your own. The instructors will give you feedback so you know you're doing it right. The course also waives having to take the road test at the DMV (at least in NJ & most states I think). It's a win-win.
luckyleighton

Post by luckyleighton »

just a note, but in AL they had no road test. Just written.

I was shocked. A 16 yr old kid can buy a crotch rocket take a written test and let loose with no one asking him to do some simple maneuvers. Sounds deadly to me.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

MSF :+!:

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
dmerzbac

Post by dmerzbac »

just a note, but in AL they had no road test. Just written.

I was shocked. A 16 yr old kid can buy a crotch rocket take a written test and let loose with no one asking him to do some simple maneuvers. Sounds deadly to me.

I did not know this! At least the MSF is beginning to have more sites here in AL. We have a course site here in Tuscaloosa now.

Dave
luckyleighton

Post by luckyleighton »

You can take the MSF course here (about 3-4 locations), but its not required. When I took my m test about a year ago in Huntsville, the written test is all I took.
hyuuu

Post by hyuuu »

:+!: for the msf. It saves lives.
Syd

Re: Motorcycle License Test

Post by Syd »

Hillhopper wrote:I've only had my Buddy one month now and have my motorcycle permit. Could anyone tell me what the riding skills test consists of? I'm in KY. Any advice will be welcome!
+1 on the MSF course, and the Kentucky DDL site makes promonent note of it.

But to answer your question, look at the DDL site. I did and about five minutes later found this. Page 43 in particular.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
Hillhopper

Post by Hillhopper »

Thanks, guys! I looked at taking the MSF, but in the city where I live, you still have to take the driving test anyway. That's not true in all the cities in KY. And you have to take the test in the city you live in. But I'll look into it anyway.
I saw the cone test on page 43 of the KY Motorcycle Manual, but it doesn't list what other things you have to do. I just want to pass!
Tenchi

Why is MSF course cost so much more for us old dudes?

Post by Tenchi »

The MSF safety course is offered here in the San Jose area, and if you are under 21 it costs $150, but over 21 it costs $250. Anyone got any idea why it costs more for us old dudes (glad they don't have an even higher fee for us 50+ guys).
BeachBuzz

Re: Why is MSF course cost so much more for us old dudes?

Post by BeachBuzz »

Tenchi wrote:The MSF safety course is offered here in the San Jose area, and if you are under 21 it costs $150, but over 21 it costs $250. Anyone got any idea why it costs more for us old dudes (glad they don't have an even higher fee for us 50+ guys).
that's crazy :shock: here in DE it costs $50 for residents if you take it through the DMV. one of the local HD shops offers the course for $350 and they credit you $300 if you buy a bike from them.
Tenchi

Yep, it's a bit steep here in Kalifornia for the MSF Course.

Post by Tenchi »

The MSF safety course is held at the local community college. Maybe that's why it's so pricey. Afraid we might run over some coeds or something...
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

The price for the MSF basic course bounces all over the place because many (most?) states subsidize the basic course to some degree or another. Perhaps the CA subsidy is more for young, inexperienced riders to try to encourage them to take the course.
Beamster

Post by Beamster »

Go down and watch the test.
You can probably practice there when they're not testing.
Hillhopper

Post by Hillhopper »

Hey! Good idea about watching the test! They only do it one day a week at the request of whoever is taking it and it's not too far from my work. I'll try to do that. Thanks for the idea.
Beamster

Post by Beamster »

Hillhopper wrote:Hey! Good idea about watching the test! They only do it one day a week .
So that's a good thing.
The markings are probably on the pavement and you can practice all you need. That's what my wife did and passed with flying colors.