[SSR] Change your oil or else

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

jfrost2

[SSR] Change your oil or else

Post by jfrost2 »

http://jalopnik.com/5235675/saturn-rent ... 0000-miles

This is what a rental car's engine looks like after not having it's oil changed after 30,000 miles.
ScooterTrash

Post by ScooterTrash »

Nice :lol:
r0sa

Post by r0sa »

oh danggggg!

some guy was telling my bf that ever since he got his truck (its been roughly 50,000 miles now) he hasn't given it an oil change except for adding oil in whenever it would get low....i guess he needs to see those pictures to prove him wrong lol
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Yea, if he hasnt had his oil changed in 50k miles, and 30k looks like crap, he's in for a real engine cleaning.
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

Wow, that's a lot of sludge... 30k and never a change? Not to be mean, but somebody is tarded. My sister actually had her engine like
explode from not changing the oil and also the oil was getting less and less so it eventually just got so hot that stuff was melting I think.

I was just thinking earlier today I should change my oil again soon on the scoot. A friend of mine makes fun of me for changing it so often,
but if you think about it it's so cheap and only takes a minute and can extend your engine life by a ton! It's not possible to change it too much.
Racenut

Post by Racenut »

Maybe they put the oil filter in a bad place and they decided it was easier to change the motor instead of changing the oil 10 times :D
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Kinda looks like a car that uses Pennzoil after only 5000 miles. Worst oil I've ever used. :roll:
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
Dibber

Post by Dibber »

Holly Snikies! I have always wondered how well rentals where really taken care of. Those were some really dirty pictures.
Bart "This is the worst day of my life!" Homer "No it's the worst day so far!"
www.twincitiesrider.com
ZQ8 Blazer

Post by ZQ8 Blazer »

I've seen worse.

Rental cars are fun, you can give them hell and don't have to worry about any future problems cause it's not yours.

Mobil 1 makes a 15k synthetic but it still needs to be changed every 3 months.
-Justin-
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

I had the dubious honor of changing the oil in a car that had over 100,000 miles on it since it's last oil change, and about 180,000 total.You could have stood the oil up and had a moc-up engine made out of sludge. It was seriously nasty :shock:
Vic

Post by Vic »

Racenut wrote:Maybe they put the oil filter in a bad place and they decided it was easier to change the motor instead of changing the oil 10 times :D
+1. I had a Saturn and we changed the oil in the garage one time. Had to go get a new wrence to get to the filter, it was a pain! After that I just paid the guys at the Quickielube to do it.

Reminds me that I gotta go get the oil in my Bug changed...

-v
luckyleighton

Post by luckyleighton »

I was at a Honda dealer and he told me a woman came in one time, she had 30,000 on an Accord and never changed the oil and the engine locked up. he said because she didn't do the maintenance (regular oil changes), the warranty would not cover it.

I change my oil every 5,000 miles in my cages just to swap the filter and get a fresh fill. It always feels like it runs better, even if its my imagination.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

This reminds me of the story I was told about a guy who owned a Vespa et4 150cc back in 2003 when I was at a dealer.

Dealer was at a concert, random guy saw a vespa keychain sticking out of his pocket. Asked the dealer if he repaired vespas, dealer said yes. Dealer takes a look in the shop, finds the guy never changed his oil EVER from the time it was purchased.
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

"But, but, it came with oil!" True statement heard long ago.
djelliott

Post by djelliott »

jfrost2 wrote:This reminds me of the story I was told about a guy who owned a Vespa et4 150cc back in 2003 when I was at a dealer.

Dealer was at a concert, random guy saw a vespa keychain sticking out of his pocket. Asked the dealer if he repaired vespas, dealer said yes. Dealer takes a look in the shop, finds the guy never changed his oil EVER from the time it was purchased.
HAHAHA, Seriously I think I work with that guy. 03 ET4 he let me ride it last year. I checked his oil and it wasn't even on the stick I asked him when he had it changed last and he said never. I made him take it in ASAP. He figured since he barley rode it (only had like 900 miles). That it wasn't in need of an oil change yet.
Prima pipe
UNI filter
125 Main Jet
2000RPM Stall Spring
1500RPM Clutch Springs
Dr. Pulley Variator with 11 Gram Sliders
NCY Front Forks
Prima/NCY 161cc Big Bore kit With 150 Head
KS Power GY6 Performance Springs
NCY Secondary Shieve
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

He was a salesman at Vespa of Cincinnati, maybe in his 20-30's, 30's by now, this story was a 4-5 years ago.

He told me he was at a rock concert and he got tapped on his shoulder by a stranger, the guy had asked if he serviced vespas since his broke down. They took it into the shop later on and checked everything, everything was 100% fine, but the oil was like sludge. Cleaning it and changing with fresh oil, he told me the bike ran fine.

Anyone ever notice how vespa only shops all look the same? I've been to 3 vespa only shops, and every single one looks very similar, all 3 were in strip mall plazas, very small shops, same furnishings and decor.
djelliott

Post by djelliott »

jfrost2 wrote:He was a salesman at Vespa of Cincinnati, maybe in his 20-30's, 30's by now, this story was a 4-5 years ago.

He told me he was at a rock concert and he got tapped on his shoulder by a stranger, the guy had asked if he serviced vespas since his broke down. They took it into the shop later on and checked everything, everything was 100% fine, but the oil was like sludge. Cleaning it and changing with fresh oil, he told me the bike ran fine.

Anyone ever notice how vespa only shops all look the same? I've been to 3 vespa only shops, and every single one looks very similar, all 3 were in strip mall plazas, very small shops, same furnishings and decor.
This was up in Cleveland last year. Must be an Et4 owner thing. scooterdave aside of course :wink: .
Prima pipe
UNI filter
125 Main Jet
2000RPM Stall Spring
1500RPM Clutch Springs
NCY Front Forks
NCY Secondary Shieve
Scooter Hoot

Post by Scooter Hoot »

So not to sound like a complete n00b, but is the 3000 miles or 3 months actually true, or just a myth? I know you need to change sometimes, but how much of that is just Jiffy Lube padding their bottom line?
djelliott

Post by djelliott »

Scooter Hoot wrote:So not to sound like a complete n00b, but is the 3000 miles or 3 months actually true, or just a myth? I know you need to change sometimes, but how much of that is just Jiffy Lube padding their bottom line?
That's pretty much what's recommended for cars. People have varying intervals that they like to do it for scooters.
Prima pipe
UNI filter
125 Main Jet
2000RPM Stall Spring
1500RPM Clutch Springs
NCY Front Forks
NCY Secondary Shieve
Frankenscoot

Post by Frankenscoot »

I have a friend that didn't change his transmission oil on his Vino 125 till around 13,000 miles because he didn't even know there was transmission oil. He was quite confused when I asked him what kind of oil he used.

"Huh? There's transmission oil?"

I changed it right away for him. It can out looking dark grey and rather thick. Amazingly it didn't mess anything up and ran just fine.
"I is to good making it ride faster now it doesn't not have that part witch it didn't can have?"

http://www.ScooterDeviant.com
bdarling

Post by bdarling »

Scooter Hoot wrote:So not to sound like a complete n00b, but is the 3000 miles or 3 months actually true, or just a myth? I know you need to change sometimes, but how much of that is just Jiffy Lube padding their bottom line?
This is a good question. My philosophy (as an engineer) is that if the engineers that designed my truck recommend a specific oil and a change interval of 6000 miles, I'm going to use the oil they say and change it when they recommend. A lot of people say it's cheap insurance to just change to oil more often, which is true, but at 7 quarts of synthetic oil, the oil changes in my truck aren't that cheap. I usually just keep an eye on the oil condition and I haven't had to change it earlier than 6000 miles yet.
ScooterDave
Most Likely to Spontaneously Combust

Post by ScooterDave »

Yes. It is a Jiffy Lube scam.

It depends on the oil & car. Look at what your vehicle calls for or call the service advisor at the dealership & ask them.

I have owned VW's that called for oil changes at every 5,000 miles. I have also owned VW's that called for it every 10,000 miles.

My BMW was every 10,000 miles & the Volvo's were every 7,500.
r0sa

Post by r0sa »

i was told to change my car oil at every 13,000 miles