The Big Head Club

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

abstraxion

The Big Head Club

Post by abstraxion »

Anyone else here have a big-a** head? I do. I wear an XXL helmet right now, and it's just not big enough (it was the largest the dealer had at the time).

I've been looking around for XXXL an up size helmets at a reasonable price, and I've found a few, including this HJC:

http://www.newenough.com/helmets_eyewea ... elmet.html

Does that look like a good deal? I kinda like the idea of the modular "flip chin" design, but they have the regular full-face style as well (for a bit more, actually). Anyone else have big head experiences?
broke

Post by broke »

I'm wearing a Scorpion EXO-400 in XXL (and it is snug!). I actually felt the same snug-ness in an HJC XL... the HJC XXL felt too loose.

BUT! The bottom line for me was: BUY FROM A SHOP. I definitely wanted to try many on to see how they actually fit and was not going to walk out with a >$100 purchase without KNOWING it fit. Plus, the girl at the shop that helped me knew a TON about what I should be looking for and gave me a lot of confidence in knowing that I have a properly fitting helmet. Let's hope I don't have to test it!
Want and need divide me. Mekka-lekka hi mekka hiney ho!
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Eric will be here any second now
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
Philio81

Post by Philio81 »

Ha! I was thinking the same thing. I believe Eric has posted a few times on this topic; he may be a charter member (and an excellent moderator I must add...).
abstraxion

Post by abstraxion »

I want to buy at a shop, but the only shop I really care about getting my business (Motosport Scooters) doesn't have anything big enough for me, so I have no compunctions about purchasing on the net, especially from a reputable, return friendly dealer like New Enough.

Eric, have anything to add, my (apparently) big-headed brother?
Angela

Post by Angela »

abstraxion wrote:I want to buy at a shop, but the only shop I really care about getting my business (Motosport Scooters) doesn't have anything big enough for me, so I have no compunctions about purchasing on the net, especially from a reputable, return friendly dealer like New Enough.

Eric, have anything to add, my (apparently) big-headed brother?
I go to this Motorcycle shop on El Cajon Blvd...its El Cajon Blvd and Euclid I believe.

Sorry, I just can't remember the name right now. I try on helmets there, they are pretty helpful when they're not too busy. Their stuff is very high priced in my opinion. But you can get sizing down this way.
cadillaczac

Post by cadillaczac »

I have a big head but not big enough...We had a customer complain that our 'one size fits all' hat was too small, so we decided that Jack in the warehouse(who's real name is Jaun and they nicknamed him Jack cause of his pumpkin head) needs to be the test pilot for the new hats. Maybe I can see if he wants to try on some different helmets and get his opinion.
Ventures Scooter Crew
Ventura County
www.camarollersscooterclub.blogspot.com
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

...and I thought I had a big head.

ImageImage
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Yep, I wear an XXL HJC CL-15. I gotta keep those smarts somewhere, right? :)
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

My XL Scorpion exo-400 (whatever it is) was giving me borderline migraines and leaving bright red marks on my forehead. It's annoying: the XXL fits my forehead, but could be snugger on my cheeks. One of the guys at the dealer said I've got the same problem he does and I'm probably going to have to suck it up, save up, and get a $400-$500 Arai. I'm afraid he might be right.... :(
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

Can't you just buy padding for the XXL and switch out the head padding and leave the XL cheek padding? Or the other way around?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Huh? Me? :)

Yup, I'm in the big head club. I've tried on dozens of helmets and few fit. It's not just size, it's also shape that's a problem for me. (Already regretting that last line; taking the mature route and moving on…) I've only found one modular which fits my head—the Vega Summit II (XXL). Most others wouldn't close fully or pressed against my face. The Summit has the most amount of front face room of any helmet.

For full face helmets, I recently tried a Scorpion XXL and was surprised to learn it fit pretty well. Probably would have been okay once the pads compressed a bit over time.

Many models only have two actual shell sizes (with different thickness of padding for each size of helmet). For many of us with bigger heads, it may help to look for those that have larger shells for XL and up.

Here's an old but possibly helpful Webbikeworld article on extra extra large helmets.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
toddrw2251

Post by toddrw2251 »

I am also a member of the big head club. None of the Bell helmets at my scooter store fit right. I had to find a motorcycle story and also purchased the XXL HJC CL-15. My head was sore after trying on so many helmets. :roll:
Werd, Yo! I'm Rusty.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

There's a new HJC modular, the IS-Max, that has more features than the CL-Max but still costs much less than the SY-Max. Kind of cool looking, with a wide stripe down the center and an internal sun shade.

Big review: http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcyc ... jc/is-max/
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

...and I thought I had a big head.
Nah, your cute lil' head fits in the hole in your Buddy's front panel! :wink:

I guess I have an oddly-shaped head, not a big one. The modular helmet I bought for my long trip really tore my forehead up after about 4 hours on the road. It really abused me. I can wear it around town but for a long trip, no way! :x
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
abstraxion

Post by abstraxion »

I tried on a Scorpion helmet, XXXL... and it was close, but no dice.

Should I try ordering an HJC and then returning it if necessary, or should I just step up the to the Vega XXXXL?
broke

Post by broke »

abstraxion wrote:I tried on a Scorpion helmet, XXXL... and it was close, but no dice.
DUDE! I _MUST_ see a pic of YOUR HEAD! Are you a NUKE-A-LAR scientist or something?!?!? That is a HUGE brain!
Want and need divide me. Mekka-lekka hi mekka hiney ho!