Half Helmet Slip?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

gng

Half Helmet Slip?

Post by gng »

Does this happen to anyone else? I have a half helmet and it fits snug, but when I hit around 45 to 50 mph and the wind is in my face if I happen to tilt my head up the wind pushed the helmet back a bit and it feels like it's falling off! In reality, it probably slipped 3/4 of an inch back. Is this normal, or is my head just shaped weird? :oops:
r0sa

Re: Half Helmet Slip?

Post by r0sa »

make sure your buckled up nice and tight.

sometimes i ride with my shield up and the wind does move it back just a little, not so much that my helmet would fall off, but with the shield down, there's no problem
gr8dog

Post by gr8dog »

Half helmet here too, no slipping. Do you slick up your hair with product? Are you bald? I'm just speculating here.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Might be that your head's not shaped weird but that the helmet is the wrong shape for your head.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
ScooterTrash

Post by ScooterTrash »

ericalm wrote:Might be that your head's not shaped weird but that the helmet is the wrong shape for your head.
x2, my wife has the same problem because helmets are designed around 1 head shape. Your best bet is a 3/4 helmet or full face :wink:
bunny

Post by bunny »

My OH showed me how to use a bandana folded up to make a band around my head before I put my half helmet on. I've experienced the wind blowing tilting my head back thing, but never slippage. The band keeps sweat from my eyes and acts as a sort of expandable joint sealer between my head nad the helmet.

Make sure the strap is cinched tight.
Yes, it's fast. No, you can't ride it.

KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

ScooterTrash wrote:
ericalm wrote:Might be that your head's not shaped weird but that the helmet is the wrong shape for your head.
x2, my wife has the same problem because helmets are designed around 1 head shape. Your best bet is a 3/4 helmet or full face :wink:
my 3/4 does the same thing... :?

I think I just need a different helmet. Can't wear a FF with glasses (plus I get claustrophobic).
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

KRUSTYburger wrote:Can't wear a FF with glasses (plus I get claustrophobic).
Go modular!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Angela

Post by Angela »

ericalm wrote:
Go modular!

Are modular much better than a FF?
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

modular = claustrophobe too. :(

I love the style helmet I have now, its perfect in every way except the high-wind slippage.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Angela wrote:
ericalm wrote:
Go modular!

If you wear glasses, some are. They tend to have more face room in the front.
Angela

Post by Angela »

ericalm wrote:
Angela wrote:
ericalm wrote: Go modular!

If you wear glasses, some are. They tend to have more face room in the front.
i do sometimes wear glasses, but i don;t like to on my scooter, i wear my contacts.

good to know
ScooterTrash

Post by ScooterTrash »

KRUSTYburger wrote:modular = claustrophobe too. :(

I love the style helmet I have now, its perfect in every way except the high-wind slippage.
That is my wife's problem
Coffeejunkie

Post by Coffeejunkie »

ericalm wrote:
Go modular!
I have to agree I love my modular helmet.
Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

http://javascoots.wordpress.com/
r0sa

Post by r0sa »

NOT the modular helmets! somebody on ADVrider posted a picture of what happened to his after an accident, he didnt badly injure his body but his helmet was broken, shattered, the chin part snapped off, it was not cool.

sorry wish i had the picture to show but can't seem to find it
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

r0sa wrote:NOT the modular helmets! somebody on ADVrider posted a picture of what happened to his after an accident, he didnt badly injure his body but his helmet was broken, shattered, the chin part snapped off, it was not cool.

sorry wish i had the picture to show but can't seem to find it
While I've no doubt this happened, I don't know if it's common among all modulars. I'd love to know what kind of helmet it was.

I do know that I've seen the face shield ripped off a 3/4 and the owner wound up with several stitched in her face. I find it hard to believe that even a crappy modular wouldn't have provided somewhat more protection.

But that's a debate I'd really rather not rehash in this thread. If someone wants to start a new one, feel free.
Bobltc

Post by Bobltc »

I went with the modular helmet. Didn't like the feel of a half face. Was going to make a comment about head shape, but thought would be best to keep quiet.
MAJensen

Post by MAJensen »

I have no problems getting my glasses on after I put on either of my ff helmets. For my claustrophobia which is pretty mild( I’m a lot worse being in a small area if there are people near). I flip the visor open except when I’m moving and leave all the vents open even when its cold out. My biggest problem is my glasses fogging up. Does anyone with a ¾ have that problem? After I get a little more experience I’ll probably get one for just driving around town because it looks like it would be easier to communicate with people without having to take it off