Put on the PRIMA pipe today

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

JokerJim

Put on the PRIMA pipe today

Post by JokerJim »

I took "OLIVE" in to Scooter World-KC today to have her first oil/gear oil change. She had 350 miles on her. I decided to have the guys put on the PRIMA pipe. :)
I look forward to seeing if i gain any speed. I am not a small man (220#)so I realize I will never be the fastest guy on a scooter.

It sure sounds good. But like was mentioned in an earlier thread - that's a hefty price to pay for just more noise.
I will post pics when i find someone to take them. My only camera is on my phone and it is a total POS.

Joker
PS Y'all need to come to the TORNADO rALLEY here in KC May 18-20.
Keys

Post by Keys »

Sorry Joker, no can do. We (the Scarabs) are hosting our annual Skull Valley Rally from Phoenix to Prescott (overnight) and back that weekend...but I'd like to extend an invitation to you!

--Keys 8)
"Life without music would Bb"
Bryce-O-Rama

Post by Bryce-O-Rama »

We [the Mad Totos] have already got Jim in our clutches. Colorado Chaos is the same weekend. Everyone wants to kick off the summer rally season, it seems.

Liking the sound of that new pipe, Jim? Pretty sweet, isn't it?
- Bryce
glhboy

Post by glhboy »

did they rejet?
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

are there any official numbers yet for improvements to performance that the Prima (or any other pipe) gives the Buddy?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Corsair wrote:are there any official numbers yet for improvements to performance that the Prima (or any other pipe) gives the Buddy?
I wouldn't expect any "official" numbers... results may vary somewhat and for Prima or Genuine to release figures would basically imply that riders could expect a certain increase in performance which may not occur. That said, we've already had mixed reports from those using the Prima pipe; consensus seems to be there's a modest increase in top end. Is that right?
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
JuliaGrace

Post by JuliaGrace »

I had my Prima exhaust installed this past weekend as well, by the kindly gentlemen at S.F. Scooter Centre.

I haven't had a chance yet to fully test it's limits, but I certainly haven't had any expections of drastic performance changes. My initial comments:

* I love the sound - makes me feel like I have a bit more presence on the road, or at least that more "cagers" will hear me before trying to kill me :x

* Could be psychological, but it did SEEM like I reached 50mph more easily than usual during this morning's commute

- Julie
San Francisco

Post by San Francisco »

JuliaGrace wrote:I had my Prima exhaust installed this past weekend as well, by the kindly gentlemen at S.F. Scooter Centre.

I haven't had a chance yet to fully test it's limits, but I certainly haven't had any expections of drastic performance changes. My initial comments:

* I love the sound - makes me feel like I have a bit more presence on the road, or at least that more "cagers" will hear me before trying to kill me :x

* Could be psychological, but it did SEEM like I reached 50mph more easily than usual during this morning's commute

- Julie
Barry is putting one on mine. But I won't have anything to compare it with.

When I asked Barry about it he did NOT say that I would see improved
performance, but knowing me, he said I would want one. So I said, what
the hell. I mean, it looks bad ass, that's for sure.

I trust Barry's advice. When I had a Chetak I insisted that he install a
POC pipe [one of the first one's made]. Barry said I would not like it
as it was too loud. But I insisted anyway.

Well, I rode about 5 miles with that pipe on, made a u-turn and Barry
took the pipe off. So he was right, I was wrong. So if he says I want this
pipe for the Italia, I listen.

Anyone need an original POC pipe, from about 2003 for a Chetak? :lol:
Keys

Post by Keys »

That's why I just put a few "strategic" holes in the muffler on my old Chetak. Made it sound good, but not overbearing, and seemed to help the low and mid-range poop just a wee bit.

--Keys 8)
San Francisco

Post by San Francisco »

JuliaGrace wrote:I had my Prima exhaust installed this past weekend as well, by the kindly gentlemen at S.F. Scooter Centre.

- Julie
Rode the scoot home with the new pipe. I love it because it makes some noise for people around me to hear. Also sounds great.

Liked it so much I called Barry and had him put the pipe on the other scooter we bought.

So even if there is not a performance boost, still worth the $ IMHO.
sparty

Post by sparty »

good to hear! Anyone have a soundclip of the new pipe? I wonder how it differs...

Also, can I take the new pipe to any motorcycle shop install? My dealer is about an hour away..., finding someone to take me there is rather hard. I heard about all these stuff like "jetting" and I'm concern that a non-scooter shop might destory my scooter :-(
Keys

Post by Keys »

Sure. Any shop should be able to do the work. It consists of two nuts at the head and one or two at the rear of the frame. That's it! I've had mine off and on a couple of times.

--Keys 8)
DO3

Post by DO3 »

Like Keys said, the pipe is very simple to install. Mine was a little tricky to get the bolts lined back up (I think my bracket was slightly bent). You don't need jack up the scooter or anything, just pop it up on the center stand and go for it. Also since there isn't any rejetting you don't have to worry about someone fiddling with your carb.

A sound clip would be cool. If it wasn't snowing outside I'd grab the video camera and make one.
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

An install guide would definitely be good (especially one with pics *hint*hint*)
San Francisco

Post by San Francisco »

sparty wrote:good to hear! Anyone have a soundclip of the new pipe? I wonder how it differs...
When I went to pick up the new scoot the dealer had yet to install the
mods/accessories.

I watched the mechanic take the pipe, walk into the back, and then take it out
for a test ride. I think he was back there all of 7 minutes installing the
pipe, so it has to be a fairly simply install for any bike shop.

I am known on the bike forums as the video guy. I will post a
video clip of the Italia at idle and going down the street. The sound
should come out pretty good so you have some idea of what the pipe
sounds like.

For now, it sounds something like this:

http://www.heartinsanfrancisco.com/998withtermi.mp3
rajron

Post by rajron »

I’m a little surprised yours sounds so weak, maybe it was the installation time?

This is what mine sounds like, the idle got messed up but I’m working on it – cool that I also got the multi cylinder sound, mine sounds almost like a V10!

Excuse me I’m not so good with the camera – got my images all mixed up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1jkrRsCuDU
captaintg

Post by captaintg »

That sounds awesome! Thanks for posting. An MP3 is worth a thousand words.
San Francisco

Post by San Francisco »

rajron wrote:I’m a little surprised yours sounds so weak, maybe it was the installation time?

This is what mine sounds like, the idle got messed up but I’m working on it – cool that I also got the multi cylinder sound, mine sounds almost like a V10!

Excuse me I’m not so good with the camera – got my images all mixed up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1jkrRsCuDU

KidDynomite

Post by KidDynomite »

Any further PERFORMANCE reports from anyone? I want a pipe, but not sure which to get just yet.

I'll go with the Prima if for no other reason than it comes from the Genuine family, but I DON'T want to add a pipe if it'll cost me perfomance.

Thanks in advance for the honest responses.
You don't wanna get mixed up with a guy like me. I'm a loner Dottie, a REBEL.
rossini

Post by rossini »

San Francisco wrote:
JuliaGrace wrote:
Rode the scoot home with the new pipe. I love it because it makes some noise for people around me to hear. Also sounds great.

Liked it so much I called Barry and had him put the pipe on the other scooter we bought.

So even if there is not a performance boost, still worth the $ IMHO.
I was offered it when I bought mine as well but the whole voiding the 2 year warranty before even driving it out of the shop thing didn't sit well with me. Probably after a year or so I will opt to have it installed.
rossini

Post by rossini »

San Francisco wrote:

Hmmmm, I'm a bit torn on this pipe after hearing this. Clearly it sounds "ballsier". Christ, it sort of sounds like a Harley! Which is why I might not be into it. Reminds me of those super annoying Honda Civics with the ridiculous tailpipes that make them sound all bad but really they are still the same low powered Civic at heart.

Now if there is some proven performance improvement I might be sold but part of me would feel a little weird driving down the road on a little guy Buddy with it sounding like the Hell's Angels are driving by! lol

Glad you like it though. Enjoy.
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

I'm in it for the power/performance. I just want to know if anyone truly has had any positive change in performance. That's the deciding factor for me. (and no I don't expect the pipe to magically turn the Buddy into a 150mph speed demon)
rajron

Post by rajron »

I have a higher top end with the Prima – My wife’s People 150 has/had always out performed my Buddy 125, that is she out accelerates and has better mid-range pull but now that I have the Prima on the Buddy on the long stretches I will pull away from her if the road is flat and the wind is down. If there is a small hill she keeps up, if there is a headwind she keeps up whereas before I installed the Prima she would just slowly pull away. So I do see a performance difference be as it is a small difference.
All kidding aside, sound clips, the Prima is not very loud, it’s just louder than the stock exhaust and it’s pleasant to hear when accelerating, it keeps me company when I’m riding alone. I think it was a well spent $200.
sparty

Post by sparty »

I was so excited when I heard that mp3, then I looked at the file name and it's from a 998.... oh well, it's only $200 so if it's louder and if it doens't blow up my bike it's probably worth it.
San Francisco

Post by San Francisco »

People, I assume you all got the joke. That file is one of my Ducati
motorcycles. :D

Here is the promised video of the Italia with the Prima pipe.

http://www.heartinsanfrancisco.com/mbpipedemo.wmv
mlstephens

Post by mlstephens »

rossini wrote:
San Francisco wrote:

Hmmmm, I'm a bit torn on this pipe after hearing this. Clearly it sounds "ballsier". Christ, it sort of sounds like a Harley!

The only thing that has in common with a Harley is the configuration and number of cylinders. What a great sounding Italian machine!
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

San Francisco wrote: Here is the promised video of the Italia with the Prima pipe.

Thanks for the video clip. By the way, what program do you use for video editing/captions?
weaseltamer

Post by weaseltamer »

just curious would a mod like this decrease fuel economy? a huge selling point for me was the mpg of the buddy, but now i think i'd like to have a little more noise. if anyone had an estimate i'd appriciate.
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

Has anyone with a stock Buddy gone up against one with a performance pipe (or vice versa)? As far as fuel economy, I'd like to know that too.
San Francisco

Post by San Francisco »

Corsair wrote:
San Francisco wrote: Here is the promised video of the Italia with the Prima pipe.

Thanks for the video clip. By the way, what program do you use for video editing/captions?
There's lots of programs out there, but I have found the easiest to use
is the FREE Windows MovieMaker. You have it on your computer if
you have XP Service Pack 2. It came with Service Pack 2.

I have gotten better over time, here is a video I made including splicing
in the fake Dolby intro, subtitles, dubbing in the sound track, etc. I did all of it with MovieMaker [but I had some add ons for MovieMaker].

http://www.heartinsanfrancisco.com/KungFuMovie14MB.wmv

If you have MovieMaker give it a try. You can't ruin anything. You can
also go on the Net to find MovieMaker forums where they will talk about
all kinds of tips and tricks.

Sidenote: "Roto" "Mortimer" and "Reckless Abandon Arteests" are all one and the same, me. :o
JokerJim

Post by JokerJim »

Ok, it was a beautiful day here in KC yesterday and we had a club picnic/ride.
I think "Olive" is finally broken in(about 475 miles). I was able to hit 65mph (indicated) and going down hill the speedometer read 70mph.

Not sure if the pipe is resposible for the added top end or what. I am now satisfied with my purchase.
The look and sound of the PRIMA put a smile :D on my face everytime I ride.

Joker
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

Sidenote: "Roto" "Mortimer" and "Reckless Abandon Arteests" are all one and the same, me.
Ah HA!

Nice sounding 998 by the way. I'm still debating which pipes to put on my GT.

Great comeback rajron...
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800