Summer travel plans

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

TVB

Summer travel plans

Post by TVB »

Who has scooter-based travel plans for this summer?

I'm planning a week-long 1000-mile ride part-way around Lake Michigan: up the west coast of Michigan to the Straits of Mackinac, over and up to Pictured Rocks on Lake Superior, down along Green Bay, then taking the ferry back to Michigan. I'll be camping at state parks along the way (plus one national lakeshore campsite). My steed will be "Flash", my 50cc Buddy, so I'll be taking all local roads, mostly keeping to the lakeshore. Updates will be posted to a blog on my web site. Here's a sketch of the route I've planned:

Alix B

Post by Alix B »

That's a dolphin!
loodieboy

Post by loodieboy »

Excellent adventure. Tether the UP mosquitoes to your scooter and double your time.
Clearly.
UnionZac

Post by UnionZac »

I'm hoping to make this trip this summer at some point on the famous Natchez Trace parkway (well at least I hear it is, but everyone in Nashville thinks everything from Nashville is famous). Its about 900 miles roundtrip, some dude from town did it last summer on 50cc Ruckus, so I think my Buddy will be up to it.

<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source= ... iframe><br />
Wheelz

Post by Wheelz »

Tvb,

I've ridden my bicycle from Chicago up the westen coast of lake Michigan to just below your starting point. The ride along the Blue Star Highway is gorgeous and a little up and down most of the way, but a really nice ride.
I'm in florida now so doing that trip would be a little rough for me. I'm jealous! Scooting around the UP should be breathtaking. Good luck on your plans and safe scootin.
"Hey You, yeah, all you'se thoughts, specially you, creepy wierd one in the corner, Screw you guys, I'm going for a ride..."
TVB

Post by TVB »

Wheelz wrote:I've ridden my bicycle from Chicago up the westen coast of lake Michigan to just below your starting point. The ride along the Blue Star Highway is gorgeous and a little up and down most of the way, but a really nice ride.
Those near-lakeshore hills are what make that area good for winemaking. I know the South-Haven-to-Grand-Haven area pretty well, and just enough about the territory north of that to be excited about scooting it. I don't want to sound like the Michigan Tourism Board or anything, but between the beaches and the beeches, the North Coast is a darn nice place to visit.
Wheelz wrote:Scooting around the UP should be breathtaking.
I've driven a car through it a few times, and there are parts that are a bit tedious even at 70mph (e.g. the long straight-and-flat two-lane west of Seney)... but I'm not going that way. :)
TVB

Post by TVB »

UnionZac wrote:I'm hoping to make this trip this summer at some point on the famous Natchez Trace parkway (well at least I hear it is, but everyone in Nashville thinks everything from Nashville is famous).
If this yankee has heard of it (and I have), it's famous.
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

this is... A W E S O M E
bluebuddygirl

Post by bluebuddygirl »

My husband and I are going to try to plan our vacation around the scooter and the motorcycle. We plan on riding and camping, combining two of our favorite things. Don't have a route yet, but it probably won't be too intense.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

AMERIVESPA! Roughly 400 miles there. Lots of riding around. 400 miles back.

Here's a VERY rough overview of the route. NoHo Mike knows the specifics.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
toddrw2251

Post by toddrw2251 »

I was thinking of doing an Upper Peninsula route this summer starting and ending in Petoskey MI. It's sparsely populated and very scenic which is great for a scooter. Beware of dirt and gravel roads! I was up last summer and many were as bumpy as a washboard.

I am also thinking of taking the ferry from Charlevoix to Beaver Island out in lake Michigan.
Werd, Yo! I'm Rusty.
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

TVB, is it just going to be you by yourself?
TVB

Post by TVB »

toddrw2251 wrote:I am also thinking of taking the ferry from Charlevoix to Beaver Island out in lake Michigan.
I've thought about taking the ferry out to Beaver Island (and haven't completely ruled it out). I like going to islands, but most of Michigan's are a bit hostile to scooters, either by law (Mackinac) or by not having... you know... roads (N/S Manitou, Royale).
TVB

Post by TVB »

gearhead wrote:TVB, is it just going to be you by yourself?
That's the plan. For the past several years my vacations have been mostly by myself off in the wilderness, so the fact that I'll be eating at restaurants and pitching my tent within earshot of other people will make this an unusually social one. :)
toddrw2251

Post by toddrw2251 »

TVB wrote:
I've thought about taking the ferry out to Beaver Island (and haven't completely ruled it out). [/quote]

When are you leaving for your trip? Let me know if you go to Beaver Island and your thoughts on the trip. It will likely be July or August before I make it up north.
Werd, Yo! I'm Rusty.
TVB

Post by TVB »

toddrw2251 wrote:When are you leaving for your trip? Let me know if you go to Beaver Island and your thoughts on the trip. It will likely be July or August before I make it up north.
I'll be going in August; that's when I get the vacation time.
louie

Post by louie »

UnionZac wrote:I'm hoping to make this trip this summer at some point on the famous Natchez Trace parkway (well at least I hear it is, but everyone in Nashville thinks everything from Nashville is famous). Its about 900 miles roundtrip, some dude from town did it last summer on 50cc Ruckus, so I think my Buddy will be up to it.

<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source= ... iframe><br />
what i saw of the trace a couple of years ago is beautiful including the road which is like silk. some of us in bham plan to camp on this road this summer also.
when are you going?
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

I might venture a trip this fall if I can get some time off work. Just probably gotta get a windshield
and save a little cash for traveling expenses. Probably go to Wakulla Springs. Summer isn't a
good time to do long rides around here since it's so ridiculously hot and humid. Around August
or September is better plus kids will be back in school, so less tourists at the springs.
UnionZac

Post by UnionZac »

louie wrote:
what i saw of the trace a couple of years ago is beautiful including the road which is like silk. some of us in bham plan to camp on this road this summer also.
when are you going?
I honestly don't know yet, but I was thinking of camping halfway down, and then hotelling in Natchez. When are you all going to be going?
irishtim

Post by irishtim »

TVB wrote:
toddrw2251 wrote:I am also thinking of taking the ferry from Charlevoix to Beaver Island out in lake Michigan.
I've thought about taking the ferry out to Beaver Island (and haven't completely ruled it out). I like going to islands, but most of Michigan's are a bit hostile to scooters, either by law (Mackinac) or by not having... you know... roads (N/S Manitou, Royale).
Beaver should be pretty cool. It's big as islands go, plenty of roads (a lot of dirt roads though) and no scooter rentals. You'll be a curiosity.
OH,PA,IN,WV,KY,TN,WI,MI,SC,ON,BDA
pairofscoots

Post by pairofscoots »

B careful on the Mackinac Bridge! Tell the toll booth that your scoot is a 125. Not sure if 50's are legal. Have fun!
TVB

Post by TVB »

pairofscoots wrote:B careful on the Mackinac Bridge! Tell the toll booth that your scoot is a 125. Not sure if 50's are legal. Have fun!
Yeah, I checked on that, and because the Bridge is technically part of an interstate, the minimum is 125cc. But the speed limit on the Bridge is only 45mph and trucks can only go 20mph, so it's not like a "real" interstate. I can get onto I-75 only a couple blocks from the Bridge, and the toll booth is on the north side of the Straits, so by the time anyone in a uniform talks to me, I'll already be across. :) I've crossed the Straits in a cage several times, so I think I'm prepared (or will be) to do it on a scoot.

I know it's been done: There's a couple who rode a single Yamaha C3 (50cc) from Vancouver to Toronto (taking a shortcut through Michigan) who evidently got away with it. And I know of some guys who are planning to ride 50cc Ruckuses (Rucki?) across the Bridge in a week or two, so we'll see how they fare.
Last edited by TVB on Wed May 13, 2009 12:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
BuddyLicious

Post by BuddyLicious »

Here is a link to some shots of the Michigan shore line.BEAUTIFUL! I found them at yahoo scooter group.Just trying to show why TVB would want to take a trip around MI shore line.

http://tinyurl.com/656a8k
Aerosmith, None Other.
Becktastic

Post by Becktastic »

I was considering a west coast scooter ride this summer, but opted for Hawaii instead. I had a free ticket :D

I think I'll rent a scoot for at least a day to ride around at some point.

Need to make sure I don't go into scooter withdrawal. ;)
Lift heavy eat clean!
Tenchi

EricCalm....Hope to see you there at AmeriVespa!

Post by Tenchi »

I'll be the old guy with the blue and yellow Kymco Super 8 with the bugs in my teeth from grinning...was in Los Gatos last weekend to scope out the place for a good cup of coffee. Los Gatos Roasting house. Only way to go. There are a lot of mountain rides in the area, I suggest hitting Boulder Creek and Big Basin. Johnny's Market has the essentials, Boulder Creek has one gas station (Highway 9 and 236 intersection). And it you can, hit Alice's Restaurant at 84 and Skyline (35). It is THE place for bikes and their bacon is to die for. Used to hit it on my 1973 Suzuki 550GT two-stroke triple. Left a lot of blue smoke on that road. What will you be riding?
dsmith65

Post by dsmith65 »

TVB I've been following your blog. That looks like a cool trip, my brother lives in GR and my parents in Rockford. We go to Muskeegon every summer to camp. Wish I could take my scoot up and do an overnighter along the lake but I think my wife and kids would object.

UnionZac - Natchez Trace is a blast to ride, I love just getting on it and opening it up through the twisties. The view when you ride over the bridge over Hiway 96 is one of my favorite parts.
MB #2349
UnionZac

Post by UnionZac »

dsmith65 wrote:
UnionZac - Natchez Trace is a blast to ride, I love just getting on it and opening it up through the twisties. The view when you ride over the bridge over Hiway 96 is one of my favorite parts.
I've been down as far as the the bridge, but i'm hoping this summer to go all the way down to Mississippi. One of the guys at work actually extended an invitation the other day to do 100 miles or so some weekend. He said he and his wife go most weekends... on his 1700cc hog said it gets 13mpg.
dsmith65

Post by dsmith65 »

[quote="UnionZac
I've been down as far as the the bridge, but i'm hoping this summer to go all the way down to Mississippi. [/quote]

That would be a fun ride, I think I read about the other guy who did it on Nashville Scoot. I usually take back roads from Franklin to Leipers Fork, stop at Pucketts, then get on the Trace down there and head back up to the Lovelace then over through Temple Hills and back home. They are messing with the road in Temple Hills so it's not scooter friendly right now.
MB #2349
LuvMyScoot

Post by LuvMyScoot »

Cape Cod and Nantucket. Not looking forward to the $200.00 fee to ferry my girl to Nantucket but I'll be damned if I'll rent one!
Dibber

Post by Dibber »

A friend and I from St Cloud Scoots.com have set up a ride from St Cloud, MN to Duluth, MN taking county roads most of the way. Staying overnight in a camp ground and returning the next day. It will be about 160+ mile ride both way. Also we plan on riding in the Duluth area and possibly up the North Shore of Lake Superior. St Cloud Scoots first big ride and hope to do this annually.
Bart "This is the worst day of my life!" Homer "No it's the worst day so far!"
www.twincitiesrider.com
Coffeejunkie

Post by Coffeejunkie »

Since I'm a nOOb my travel plans are small, but I plan to hit at least a few state parks (at least the ones easily accessable by back roads.)
Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

http://javascoots.wordpress.com/
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

I'm going to try Harrisburg, Pa. to Long Island, NY (I know borring....) sometime this summer. I still need to figure how to get accross from NJ either through the Bronx past Yankee Stadium, or Staten Island then through Brooklyn past Coney Island, without getting killed! Thinking on joining up with the Long Island Hornets on their "Ride to the End" the annual ride to Montauk Point..........
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

ericalm wrote:AMERIVESPA! Roughly 400 miles there. Lots of riding around. 400 miles back.

Here's a VERY rough overview of the route. NoHo Mike knows the specifics.
So psyched for this ride! And if this lottery ticket will cooperate I'll be even more psyched!

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
bluebuddygirl

Post by bluebuddygirl »

KABarash wrote: I still need to figure how to get accross from NJ either through the Bronx past Yankee Stadium, or Staten Island then through Brooklyn past Coney Island, without getting killed!
Umm, middle of the night??
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

bluebuddygirl wrote:
KABarash wrote: I still need to figure how to get accross from NJ either through the Bronx past Yankee Stadium, or Staten Island then through Brooklyn past Coney Island, without getting killed!
Umm, middle of the night??
Really...... But having had grown up there, I don't think even that would help these days!! Boy ALOT has changed since the 70's when I left the area!!!
gr8dog

Post by gr8dog »

TVB, looks like a great trip, some beautiful roads. Do you have dates set for this trip yet? It would be fun to meet up in Green Bay and ride to the ferry in Manitowoc. That is, if you are looking for anybody to ride with. Let me know.
Alix B

Post by Alix B »

This year I would like to take the Blue Ridge Parkway down to Asheville, NC and do some camping on the way.
TVB

Post by TVB »

gr8dog wrote:TVB, looks like a great trip, some beautiful roads. Do you have dates set for this trip yet? It would be fun to meet up in Green Bay and ride to the ferry in Manitowoc. That is, if you are looking for anybody to ride with. Let me know.
I don't have a definite date yet for the ferry ride... mid August sometime. I'm planning to catch the midnight crossing, so I don't have to spend 4 hours of afternoon riding time on a boat, and it'll save me a night's camping fees and give me a 20% discount on the fare for both me and Flash.
TVB

Post by TVB »

The Big Ride is still a couple months off, but I just did a weekend ride to the Indiana border and back, staying at Warren Dunes State Park overnight. It was in part a test run for the ride up to and through the UP, to make sure my packing, distance, and camping plans were reasonable. Some details and photos are on my blog.
Wheelz

Post by Wheelz »

I shot you a reply on the ride to work post. Warren dunes was like my backyard growing up. Your blog makes me miss home, nice shots of the sunsets, next time run down that dune you'll never question it again! even if you fall it's only sand!
The only plus side to riding in florida is you can do it year round, but it's so flat, ever so flat.
Last edited by Wheelz on Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Hey You, yeah, all you'se thoughts, specially you, creepy wierd one in the corner, Screw you guys, I'm going for a ride..."
TVB

Post by TVB »

Wheelz wrote:I shot you a reply on the ride to work post. Warren dunes was like my backyard growing up. Your blog makes me miss home, nice shots of the sunsets, next time run down that dune you'll never question it again! even if you fall it's only sand! :cry:
I know I could get down it (and that countless people of all shapes and sizes do every year), and in my reckless youth I probably would've done it. But these days there are certain things about heights that hit my panic button, and once that happens, short of an emergency or several drinks beforehand, it just ain't gonna happen.
pairofscoots

Post by pairofscoots »

Anyone want to meet up for breakfast at Wolfgang's in East Grand Rapids, MI on saturday morning, June 20th at 8:45am. We will be there.
Then were going to Grand Haven for the ride. Anyone's welcome. Weather permitting of course.
Taz

Post by Taz »

TVB - when you get a firm time let us know and if you are up for any people to tag along for a while.

On the subject of sort of adventure scooter rides, I had one heckuva a fun time last year in Turkey. That country has some amazing scenery to ride a scooter in and some serious mountains. I rode all over the place and along the Med on a 125 Zuma. It was breathtakingly beautiful in so many places. I must have rode close to 1000 miles in about a week.
TVB

Post by TVB »

pairofscoots wrote:Anyone want to meet up for breakfast at Wolfgang's in East Grand Rapids, MI on saturday morning, June 20th at 8:45am. We will be there.
I'm not sure if I'll be able to make it, but I'll try.
TVB

Post by TVB »

Taz wrote:TVB - when you get a firm time let us know and if you are up for any people to tag along for a while.
I'll be doing the Big Trip from 8-16 August. I'm pretty used to traveling solo, but it might be nice to hook up along the way.
Rob

Re: Summer travel plans

Post by Rob »

TVB wrote:Who has scooter-based travel plans for this summer?

I'm planning a week-long 1000-mile ride part-way around Lake Michigan: up the west coast of Michigan to the Straits of Mackinac, over and up to Pictured Rocks on Lake Superior, down along Green Bay, then taking the ferry back to Michigan. I'll be camping at state parks along the way (plus one national lakeshore campsite). My steed will be "Flash", my 50cc Buddy, so I'll be taking all local roads, mostly keeping to the lakeshore. Updates will be posted to a blog on my web site. Here's a sketch of the route I've planned:
That's a great trip plan. I don't know if you have the flexibilty to add a couple of days to the itinerary, but if so, I would suggest once you get towards Green Bay, you do a little detour up into the Door County area. Simply beautiful up there and some great food. We were up in the UP last year and went to Pictured Rocks ... as you probably already know, very scenic.

I'm just outside of Chicago (NW Indiana) and I think you've made the right decision to bypass some of the southern end of the lake. The lakefront in really nice east of Michigan City, but kind of nasty west of there until you get to Chicago.

In July, I'm making a trip, with some friends down to NC/Tenn to ride the "Tail of the Dragon", the Cherohala Skyway and a few other routes.

Rob
"Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen."
- Steven Wright
TVB

Post by TVB »

Rob wrote:That's a great trip plan. I don't know if you have the flexibilty to add a couple of days to the itinerary, but if so, I would suggest once you get towards Green Bay, you do a little detour up into the Door County area. Simply beautiful up there and some great food.
When I was first sketching this out, I planned on hopping across Green Bay to Door County, and I was pleased to see that there was a new ferry service running from Menominee/Marinette to Sturgeon Bay. But apparently it went out of business, so the only way to get there is through Green Bay (either the city or the body of water). Unfortunately I'll be using up my full meager allotment of Paid Time Off as it is. Depending on how much time I have on My Day In Wisconsin, I might scoot up the Door County peninsula a little before catching the midnight ferry, but I won't be able to do the place justice.
Rob wrote:I'm just outside of Chicago (NW Indiana) and I think you've made the right decision to bypass some of the southern end of the lake. The lakefront in really nice east of Michigan City, but kind of nasty west of there until you get to Chicago.
The phrase you're diplomatically avoiding is "Gary, Indiana". :) I appreciate the song from "The Music Man", the Jackson 5, and the fact that it helps balance the rural south of the state politically, but the fact that "Dunes Highway" morphs into "Industrial Drive" as you enter Gary says volumes about its travel appeal.
gr8dog

Post by gr8dog »

If you can swing an extra day or two take Rob's advice. See the Door County peninsula, it is simply beautiful.. We have a family reunion in Sister Bay every year for four days. This year we expect 37 people. Nobody ever gets bored up there.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Alix B wrote:This year I would like to take the Blue Ridge Parkway down to Asheville, NC and do some camping on the way.
That is a great ride. I got to spend two summers down there. Really beautiful part of the country. Primo riding roads too. Some really nice twistys...

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
Rob

Post by Rob »

TVB wrote:The phrase you're diplomatically avoiding is "Gary, Indiana". :) I appreciate the song from "The Music Man", the Jackson 5, and the fact that it helps balance the rural south of the state politically, but the fact that "Dunes Highway" morphs into "Industrial Drive" as you enter Gary says volumes about its travel appeal.
Ah, you know the area. :)

Actually, while Gary is infamous, (and why wouldn't it be when it generally alternates with Detroit on being designated the "murder capital of the US") there is much more to choose from when searching for reasons to avoid the lakefront areas of NW Indiana. Take your choice from the Burns Harbor, Gary, Hammond and Whiting areas ... you have the numerous steel mills, the BP oil refinery, high volumes of semi traffic & freight trains. Not to mention the occasional high crime, gang banger neighborhoods that you may inadvertently stumble or roll across.

Again, a wise choice in your route planning.

Rob
"Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen."
- Steven Wright