Alarm for buddy

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ScootStevie

Alarm for buddy

Post by ScootStevie »

So...living in Long Beach poses a real parking problem. I have no garage, so my buddy stays on the street. And its also saves me a parking spot :rofl: Anyways, question is what kind of alarm can I put on my buddy. I'm always worried that someone will mess with it. I lock the wheel, but would feel safer with an alarm. Suggestions??
ScooterTrash

Post by ScooterTrash »

I have a Gorilla motorcycle alarm, loud as hell and very good quality

Mine
http://www.newenoughhp.com/accessories/ ... alarm.html

Cheaper version, same alarm
ScootStevie

Post by ScootStevie »

Forgot to ask...how easy are they to put on? I'm pretty mechanical...but I'm "electronically challenged" :lol:
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

You can also look into a disc lock with an alarm. Here's one. Not quite as sophisticated but easier to install!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

You can also get a disc lock that has a built in alarm. The Xena locks are pretty popular and plenty loud. If you chain your scoot, a disc lock is still probably a good idea.

The big problem with a disc lock: remembering to take it off before staring. There's a cord that goes around your handlebar to remind you, but as we've heard on the forum recently, sometimes owners still forget.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
armacham

Post by armacham »

ericalm wrote:You can also get a disc lock that has a built in alarm. The Xena locks are pretty popular and plenty loud. If you chain your scoot, a disc lock is still probably a good idea.

The big problem with a disc lock: remembering to take it off before staring. There's a cord that goes around your handlebar to remind you, but as we've heard on the forum recently, sometimes owners still forget.
Best part about having the alarm is that as soon as you pop off the center stand it starts wailing away if you've forgotten to take it off. WHich i've done probably abut 5 or 6 times
jbougere

Post by jbougere »

Coming from the unfortunate shmoo who forgot to take off his front disc lock, I would HIGHLY recommend purchasing the Xena (which apparently yells at you if you straighten the steering column) or replace the "reminder" cable with an enormous feather boa.

Or, you could use a break lever lock: http://www.lockitt.com/LeverLocks.htm

On the topic of scooter alarms, I've seen some that have the option to add a remote ignition kill switch. Seems like a handy addition if you get scooterjacked (or just peek out the window and see someone trying to hotwire your scoot.) Does anyone have experience with these?
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

jmazza wrote:You can also look into a disc lock with an alarm.
ericalm wrote:You can also get a disc lock that has a built in alarm.
Another idea would be to look for a disc lock that has an alarm. :P
ScooterDave
Most Likely to Spontaneously Combust

Re: Alarm for buddy

Post by ScooterDave »

ScootStevie wrote:So...living in Long Beach poses a real parking problem. I have no garage, so my buddy stays on the street. And its also saves me a parking spot :rofl: Anyways, question is what kind of alarm can I put on my buddy. I'm always worried that someone will mess with it. I lock the wheel, but would feel safer with an alarm. Suggestions??
I would try the disc lock that has an alarm.
ScootStevie

Post by ScootStevie »

Thanks guys..lot of info. And this disc lock with alarm sounds great for me :)
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

jmazza wrote:
jmazza wrote:You can also look into a disc lock with an alarm.
ericalm wrote:You can also get a disc lock that has a built in alarm.
Another idea would be to look for a disc lock that has an alarm. :P
That's what I get for starting a reply, getting distracted for a while, then coming back. But that pretty much validates it: GOOD ADVICE! :D
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
TVB

Post by TVB »

Just one request if you get an alarm: Don't use it unless you're actually going to hear it and come turn it off. There is a special place in hell reserved for people who let (false) alarms keep going off.
Alix B

Post by Alix B »

ScooterTrash wrote:I have a Gorilla motorcycle alarm, loud as hell and very good quality

Mine

That's pretty sweet.
I just need to know about the install before I do it.
Here's my skill level.
I'm smart, but I'm overly cautious and figure I'll screw up something. I also don't have a lot of tools, although I can get some.
purromaniac

Post by purromaniac »

I have a Spy LM210A, $35 from RedlineCycleSports.com. The instructions looked pretty simple. I asked my husband (a computer geek who only knows where the garage is because his car is kept there) to install it. I didn't hear any yelling of profanity, so I would say it wasn't very difficult.
ScooterTrash

Post by ScooterTrash »

Alix B wrote:
ScooterTrash wrote:I have a Gorilla motorcycle alarm, loud as hell and very good quality

Mine

That's pretty sweet.
I just need to know about the install before I do it.
Here's my skill level.
I'm smart, but I'm overly cautious and figure I'll screw up something. I also don't have a lot of tools, although I can get some.
Easy, step by step instructions included. If you have problems I'm only a PM away :wink:
OScoot!

Post by OScoot! »

OK...so I've gone out and looked at the Xena disc locks thinking I would get one. Downloaded the template from Xena's website to be sure I would get one that would fit. So....here's what my disc looks like and according to the template.....none of them would fit. Having never seen one of these gadgets...what am I missing here? I've read on other threads that the XZZ6 model would fit, but according to template... there is no way it would fit my brake like on this photo at Xena's website.

Please enlighten my brainless noggin.

Edit: Oh....do you maybe just attach it "sideways", sort of on an angle????? Would someone that has one take a picture of it installed on their disc so dummies like me can see how it goes on?

Lastyearsyou

Post by Lastyearsyou »

Look 1/3 or the way down the page. Good picture & useful thread.

viewtopic.php?t=3988&postdays=0&postord ... &start=100
Angela

Post by Angela »

Mine

Holy cow, thanks for this. I was just mentioning the other day I wanted a system like this. I had no idea it actually existed.

You rule!
ScootStevie

Post by ScootStevie »

Here's a couple pics of the Xena XZZ6 which is what fits the buddy. I prefer to put it on sideways as shown becasue it keeps the lock a little more stable which you want for when you stick the key in (because if you're fumbling around with it the alarm will go off while your trying to disengage it) Sorry second pic is a bit blurry, but hope this helps

[/img]
Angela

Post by Angela »

I have a Xena, but I have a few complaints as of late.

-Its been going off while in my under seat storage

-It does always not arm its self when I put it on my brake

-Its been armed and I shake the headset and it does not go off

-It goes off when a loud card passes.
ScootStevie

Post by ScootStevie »

Angela wrote:I have a Xena, but I have a few complaints as of late.

-Its been going off while in my under seat storage

-It does always not arm its self when I put it on my brake

-Its been armed and I shake the headset and it does not go off

-It goes off when a loud card passes.
Hmmmm, I haven't had any of these problems. Are you leaving it unarmed while under your seat? And its might not go off just by shaking the headset a little. Now the going off when cars pass, dont know :lol: Maybe change the batteries
Angela

Post by Angela »

ScootStevie wrote:
Hmmmm, I haven't had any of these problems. Are you leaving it unarmed while under your seat? And its might not go off just by shaking the headset a little. Now the going off when cars pass, dont know :lol: Maybe change the batteries
I leave it unarmed when in my "pet carrier" and its pretty new, so if I need a new battery I'm a little upset.
ScootStevie

Post by ScootStevie »

I leave it unarmed when in my "pet carrier" and its pretty new, so if I need a new battery I'm a little upset.[/quote]

It just uses small watch batteries. Maybe you might want to try it. Or try to get a new one from Xena
Angela

Post by Angela »

ScootStevie wrote:I leave it unarmed when in my "pet carrier" and its pretty new, so if I need a new battery I'm a little upset.
It just uses small watch batteries. Maybe you might want to try it. Or try to get a new one from Xena[/quote]

Agreed, thanks for the advice. I like to be proactive rather than complain.
ScootStevie

Post by ScootStevie »

No probs 8)
ScooterTrash

Post by ScooterTrash »

Angela wrote:

Mine

Holy cow, thanks for this. I was just mentioning the other day I wanted a system like this. I had no idea it actually existed.

You rule!
I know :lol:
Angela

Post by Angela »

ScooterTrash wrote:
Angela wrote:

Mine

You rule!
dude, if you were here i would buy you beer...or crack (since i have a dealer across the street).

that's how happy this info has made me. seriously, my brother and i had this conversation tuesday night at our scooter ride/dinner family time.

i can't wait to order one of these products.
rabbitgod

Post by rabbitgod »

I have a disk lock and a gorilla alarm.

I like it because I can use if for quick in and out errands. I didn't install mine, but it seems pretty easy.
ScooterTrash

Post by ScooterTrash »

Angela wrote:
ScooterTrash wrote:
Angela wrote: Holy cow, thanks for this. I was just mentioning the other day I wanted a system like this. I had no idea it actually existed.

You rule!
dude, if you were here i would buy you beer...or crack (since i have a dealer across the street).

that's how happy this info has made me. seriously, my brother and i had this conversation tuesday night at our scooter ride/dinner family time.

i can't wait to order one of these products.
I don't drink or do crack so I'll settle with a hug :lol:

You might like my DIY as well
topic6523.html
SCOOT3R

Post by SCOOT3R »

this thread is great interesting topic! I would get xena lock for scooter. :D
thehypercube

Post by thehypercube »

SCOOT3R wrote:this thread is great interesting topic! I would get xena lock for scooter. :D
This really isn't meant to come off rude or condescending, but how would you know if the alarm was tripped? I know there are some alarms out there that have little remote pagers these days. I was thinking that a vibrate feature on that would be useful?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

SCOOT3R wrote:this thread is great interesting topic! I would get xena lock for scooter. :D
I just got one. It's definitely loud.

As I think I posted elsewhere, the Xena is great for keeping your scoot from being stolen, but it's not as good a visual deterrent as a big ass chain. The problem is that once the Xena goes off, someone may have already messed with your scoot. I got one of those bright orange reminder things that I think will help with this shortcoming.

The other drawback of a disc lock is that it's not unheard of for thieves to lift scooters into trucks and take them. There have even been a couple of reports of instances when thieves have lifted a scooter onto skateboards and wheeled it to an awaiting truck. (True? I dunno, but it could happen.) The alarm might go off before they get it in a truck, but then your scooter will just get dropped or dumped.

So choosing a lock or locks requires some assessment of where you park, vulnerabilities, crime rate, and so on. If I lived in an apartment complex or had to park my scoot outside overnight, I'd definitely want a big chain in the arsenal in addition to the disc lock and my cover.
ScootStevie

Post by ScootStevie »

I personally use a big "U" lock (very noticeable) as well as the Xena disc alarm. No problems as of yet. Also side note, if anyone is having problems with your Xena going off for no reason it's because the little sensors on the inside are simply dirty. Just give them a clean :D
Major Redneck

Post by Major Redneck »

Alarms make noise and if YOU hear the noise you will respond... Others not so much... Disk locks lock the wheel, two men can pick up the scoot and its gone lock and noise as well...

Chain it to something and it will be there when you get back...
Scoot'in is more fun than beating up your sister, and it comes with a key!!!
Jessica

Post by Jessica »

I have the Xena disc lock alarm, which I am pretty happy with. I was considering getting one of those Grip-Locks for added security. Has anyone tried using those?
Modern Buddy Member #2753
<a href="http://www.raleighscooter.org/index.html">Raleigh Scooter Organization</a> #45
Official S.P.A.Z. Member
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

I just use a disc lock. There is nowhere at my townhouse to lock the scooter to if I had a big chain. I figured the best route was to get very good insurance and keep good records of all the mods so that my insurance will reimburse me for them if my scoot does get stolen. Does anyone know if they make some sort of lowjack system for scooters?
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

One nice thing you get when you overpay for a newer Vespa (ha): It has programmed keys and an ignition immobilizer. Anyone tries to start with another key or tries to hotwire it and the ignition shuts down and locks. Pretty cool but almost as useful is the deterrent factor: there's a blinking red light on the dash. Most thieves will have no idea if that's an alarm system, lojack or whatever. (Of course, thieves still try to heist Vespas… nothing is 100% guaranteed to deter or prevent theft…)

So, much like the fake video cameras in many stores and so on, I say install a blinking red LED somewhere prominent. If you can get it inside the instrument cluster on the headset, all the better. There's room. :)
jasondavis48108

I didn't know that about vespas, thats pretty cool. My Honda Fit has a key like that. The led thing is a good idea. You could also get a sticker for the wind screen that says "this scooter is protected by lojack" I'm sure the sticker is less expensive than the system itself :D
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Lojack for scooters:

Here's a DIY idea that might work. There are also various GPS-based kid and pet locators. I wonder if you could put one in your scooter…?
http://www.iscootny.com/scoot_faq.htm#lojack

You can just get Lojack:
http://www.lojack.com/motorcycle-theft.html

Here's a review:
http://news.motorbiker.org/blogs.nsf/dx ... MWEBB4.htm

But there are other similar devices that don't depend on the Lojack system:
http://phantomtracking.com/
http://unitracking.com/
http://www.bikebone.com/MobileLockGPSlocator.htm
http://www.bikebone.com/page/BBSC/CTGY/GPS-Tracking

These things are not cheap… At a certain point, theft insurance coverage might be your best bet.
jasondavis48108

wow, thanx for all the info. I didn't know that lojack depended on the police to buy into thier system. That makes it fairly useless for how expensive it is (if its anywhere near as expensive as it is for cars. I think the sticker and led light ideas are more reasonable alternatives for protecting a $2,000 scooter like my Buddy 50. That along with the awesome theft insurance I got which also covers up to $3,000 worth of acsessories.
SCOOT3R

Post by SCOOT3R »

thehypercube wrote:
This really isn't meant to come off rude or condescending, but how would you know if the alarm was tripped? I know there are some alarms out there that have little remote pagers these days. I was thinking that a vibrate feature on that would be useful?
I do agree with this poster. that is probloem for deaf scooters who can't hear loud beep if someone try to steal their scoots. Yes I will looking for alarm system with viberate pager.. you know what i talking about?
thehypercube

Post by thehypercube »

SCOOT3R wrote:I do agree with this poster. that is probloem for deaf scooters who can't hear loud beep if someone try to steal their scoots. Yes I will looking for alarm system with viberate pager.. you know what i talking about?
I was thinking about this one I have seen before elsewhere but just happened to find it at this store on a Google search. You may get a better price shopping around.

http://www.motoleather.com/59-0003.html

Note it lists "pager vibration mode"
SCOOT3R

Post by SCOOT3R »

thehypercube wrote:
SCOOT3R wrote:I do agree with this poster. that is probloem for deaf scooters who can't hear loud beep if someone try to steal their scoots. Yes I will looking for alarm system with viberate pager.. you know what i talking about?
I was thinking about this one I have seen before elsewhere but just happened to find it at this store on a Google search. You may get a better price shopping around.

http://www.motoleather.com/59-0003.html

Note it lists "pager vibration mode"
TheHyper, Yes it is. you are helpful.. Whew, thank you for linkings. I really apperciate it! :D
Xena Lock Guy
Retailer/Vendor

Disc Lock and Alarm in One Unit

Post by Xena Lock Guy »

We at Xena Security have just released their latest and even louder alarmed scooter lock. The new shape XX-6 incorporates our greatly improved lithium battery powered 120db alarm, as the alarm is now at the back of the lock, the alarm is amplified by the disc and no-one can get at it ...This is LOUD. visit www.xenasecurity.com for more info.
This wont drain your battery like an alarm system and will prevent anyone from wheeling your bike away. You can also use it in conjunction with our soon to be released Cable/Chain attachment. This compact unit allows you to lock your disc lock, and anchor the bike to something all with an alarm!
we are offering Modern Buddy members a great deal.

The XX-6 Yellow and the XX-6 Stainless Steel at a 20% discount off retail and free shipping
XX-6 yellow SRP $84.95.. Buddy cost $67.00, XX-6 Stainless SRP $89.95.. Buddy cost $71.00 inc shipping.

Please email sales@xenasecurityusa.com to order. Paypal and credit card payments accepted
Attachments
_MG_5880.jpg
_MG_5880.jpg (106.29 KiB) Viewed 1699 times
xx-6 yellow.jpg
xx-6 yellow.jpg (31.08 KiB) Viewed 1699 times