Off-road Buddy

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Cheshire

Off-road Buddy

Post by Cheshire »

So...I allowed myself to get talked into attempting to take my Buddy on an off-road trail, but I at least get to pick the trail. Something a dual-sport would probably go down, but doesn't necessarily have to be too rough-and-tumble.

I really, really need to go back to just lurking on ADVrider. :lol:
This should be interesting....
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

I've been wanting to do that too! I've been "off road" a couple times, but not on actual trails, just dirt roads,
sand and grass. It got a little crazy in the sand like I almost fell over a couple times, but it was still fun.

I might just need to get me one of my dream scooters, the Honda CT-90. 8)
gr8dog

Post by gr8dog »

If I find myself off-road with the Buddy I have made a terrible mistake. :lol:
I have ridden across grass or dirt but I take it slow because the Buddy does not have a very forgiving suspension.
When I was a teenager we had two mopeds, complete with pedals, the real deal. They would top end around 32mph indicated. We used to go to the state park and ride through the abandoned quarries. I actually went airborne one time because I hit a rise in the limestone I did not see, surprise! No wonder they didn't last very long.
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

I can already say whatever trail I pick will have NO (or nearly no) WASHBOARDS!! I've had more than my fill of those these past couple weeks.

Sand sounds interesting. Might have to do that next time I'm near the coast.
olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

Sunday I did my first organized dual-sport ride. It was around Sly Park east of Placerville. At times the dust was so thick I could barely make out the taillight of the bike in front of me. There was enough snow in places that some got stuck. One of the water crossings was so deep that the water splashed over my head! I think a Buddy could have made it with some proper tires, but the deep water would have drowned it. Of course, two people could easily carry a Buddy through that.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

I took a cruise up a dirt fireroad a little while back. First time so I rode really carefully, it was way fun, and the Buddy ate it up. I didn't have a clue I was committing a total no-no. When I eventually noticed the "you shouldn't be here" signs I turned around... slowly... and that was when the front tire slid out and I took my first (only) spill. Fortunately I caught the bike before it totally went down but I have a nice scrape on my centerstand and a very slightly bent passenger footpeg to remind me about the realities of riding on gravel...

... but I'm thinkin' a dirt bike could be fun :)

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:I took a cruise up a dirt fireroad a little while back. First time so I rode really carefully, it was way fun, and the Buddy ate it up. I didn't have a clue I was committing a total no-no. When I eventually noticed the "you shouldn't be here" signs I turned around... slowly... and that was when the front tire slid out and I took my first (only) spill. Fortunately I caught the bike before it totally went down but I have a nice scrape on my centerstand and a very slightly bent passenger footpeg to remind me about the realities of riding on gravel...

When you say "you shouldn't be here signs"...do you mean as in No Trespassing or more along the lines of the scooter telling you it's out of its depth? I read that either way....
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Cheshire wrote:
Skootz Kabootz wrote:I took a cruise up a dirt fireroad a little while back. First time so I rode really carefully, it was way fun, and the Buddy ate it up. I didn't have a clue I was committing a total no-no. When I eventually noticed the "you shouldn't be here" signs I turned around... slowly... and that was when the front tire slid out and I took my first (only) spill. Fortunately I caught the bike before it totally went down but I have a nice scrape on my centerstand and a very slightly bent passenger footpeg to remind me about the realities of riding on gravel...

When you say "you shouldn't be here signs"...do you mean as in No Trespassing or more along the lines of the scooter telling you it's out of its depth? I read that either way....
I mean "no motorized vehicles allowed" signs. Bylaws, fines, all that fun stuff...

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
ERik3tb

Post by ERik3tb »

I'd still like to get my hands on a Big Ruckus and drop a 400cc motor in it for off road and trail use.
Heroism is being scared as hell and saddling up anyways - John Wayne
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:
Cheshire wrote:

I mean "no motorized vehicles allowed" signs. Bylaws, fines, all that fun stuff...
Gotcha. Thanks for setting me straight. :)
louie

Post by louie »

ERik3tb wrote:I'd still like to get my hands on a Big Ruckus and drop a 400cc motor in it for off road and trail use.
a trail bike would have about the same size motor, 250, with tons more clearance. not really the off road scooter a first glance suggests.
Lagerhead

Post by Lagerhead »

louie wrote:
ERik3tb wrote:I'd still like to get my hands on a Big Ruckus and drop a 400cc motor in it for off road and trail use.
not really the off road scooter a first glance suggests.
Very true.

It's basically a naked Honda Reflex.