How do you wash a scooter?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

slusher5

How do you wash a scooter?

Post by slusher5 »

Im guessing you just hand wash it?

Can someone give me some do's and don'ts when it comes to washing your scooter?

What types of cleaners and how can i get it super shiny?

What do I do around the engine parts?
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

You can hose it off if you want, get some light soap water and wash it.

I usually every 1-2 weeks just get paper towels, wet them, and clean the bike off, it always looks new. As for the engine areas, I just clean those off with the same towels, usually the engine area is dirtier. The rims are super dirty too even though they always look clean.
slusher5

Post by slusher5 »

what kind of wax/cleaner should i use to get it shiny? I have a buddy 50? can you use wax on plastic?
olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

Stay away from dish soap! Use a good car soap, polish, wax, repeat. DON'T use shiny tire dressing! Good clean towels to dry. Microfiber cloth to polish.
slusher5

Post by slusher5 »

olhogrider wrote:Stay away from dish soap! Use a good car soap, polish, wax, repeat. DON'T use shiny tire dressing! Good clean towels to dry. Microfiber cloth to polish.
can I just use microfiber towels for everything? or do I need special towels for different steps?
what about engine parts, just use water on them or soapy water?
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Oh i forgot to mention dont use dish soap, but olhogrider got to it before I thought of it.

A microfiber cloth will work fine, but it'll get really dirty, just use paper towels and water. Just plain water can do wonders. If you want to use a microfiber cloth to dry off the plastic, go ahead. You dont want water stains all over the shiny bike.
slusher5

Post by slusher5 »

ok thanks everyone... sorry for asking all these basic questions i try to keep them limited
djelliott

Post by djelliott »

I use lemon pledge. The same stuff you use on furniture. It cleans, it shines, and it protects. Every couple of months I rub it down (the scooter) with New Finish car polish for a little extra shine.

Dustin
Prima pipe
UNI filter
125 Main Jet
2000RPM Stall Spring
1500RPM Clutch Springs
Dr. Pulley Variator with 11 Gram Sliders
NCY Front Forks
Prima/NCY 161cc Big Bore kit With 150 Head
KS Power GY6 Performance Springs
NCY Secondary Shieve
loodieboy

Post by loodieboy »

What I find really helpful for cleaning bikes of all sorts is a scotch-brite kitchen sponge. It has the sponge on one side for delicate cleaning, like the plastic panels, and the scrubber side (plastic - not steel wool) for engine parts and rims.

One tip I got off the care label for my helmet face shield - if you have squashed bug parts or other such mess on your plastic panels, pre-soak them with a wet paper towel. Then when you get to wiping them off, they are softened up and you won't accidently scratch your panels trying to scrub them off.
Clearly.
djelliott

Post by djelliott »

loodieboy wrote:What I find really helpful for cleaning bikes of all sorts is a scotch-brite kitchen sponge. It has the sponge on one side for delicate cleaning, like the plastic panels, and the scrubber side (plastic - not steel wool) for engine parts and rims.

One tip I got off the care label for my helmet face shield - if you have squashed bug parts or other such mess on your plastic panels, pre-soak them with a wet paper towel. Then when you get to wiping them off, they are softened up and you won't accidently scratch your panels trying to scrub them off.
Wiping it down on a regular basis with the Pledge really helps to keep the bugs and road grime from sticking on to much as well. They whisk right off. I clean my windshield and visor with it too.

Dustin
Prima pipe
UNI filter
125 Main Jet
2000RPM Stall Spring
1500RPM Clutch Springs
NCY Front Forks
NCY Secondary Shieve
BeetleGoose

Post by BeetleGoose »

I keep mine clean by never removing the box they gave it to me in... no... that's not truthful, I'm lying... and sad... I don't have one yet... sigh... :(
I wanted a scooter; ended up buying a motorcycle instead.
rabbitgod

Post by rabbitgod »

What about the orange based furniture cleaners?

Would the citrus in it be too harsh for the panels?

What about vinegar?

I'll probably just stick to water and a towel, but it's always good to know what is a bad idea.
Last edited by rabbitgod on Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

Just use a damp microfiber cloth and wipe her down. There are waterless cleaners that also put on a light coat of wax if the scooter isn't covered in mud and bugs. Stuff like Turtle Wax ICE Spray Detailer or Meguiars NXT Generation Speed Detailer work well.
JNV

Scooter Washing

Post by JNV »

I ride in the rain.
It might not get clean, but it is just an excuse to ride some more.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Don't use a home powerwasher or a do-it-yourself carwash powerwasher. The electricals really won't like it.
Susan Pegsmen
Banned

Post by Susan Pegsmen »

water and simple green
djelliott

Post by djelliott »

Susan Pegsmen wrote:water and simple green
Simple green rules! I never thought of cleaning the buddy with it. I have to try that.
Prima pipe
UNI filter
125 Main Jet
2000RPM Stall Spring
1500RPM Clutch Springs
NCY Front Forks
NCY Secondary Shieve
olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

Oh yeah, keep the high pressure water away from the wheel bearings and brakes. They will be happier for it.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Really, the plastic is very forgiving if you follow some basic guidelines: don't use dishsoap, beware of solvents, cleaners and waxes that aren't recommended for use on plastic.

I just use Mother's and microfiber sponges and towels. Stubborn spots get Fantastik. I usually don't wax (the Nanowax I use on my Vespa is not for plastic) but I saw a pic of a very shiny waxed Buddy in a recent thread so I may look for another product to try.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

This question comes up a lot. Try a search or two for even more opinions.

There really are no absolutes when it comes to cleaning a bike. For every person who says "never use a power washer", there's another happily using a power washer every time he cleans his bike. I'll use a power wash once or twice a year for a really thorough cleaning but I'll keep the power away from bearings, electicals, etc. Get the bike wet, simple green in the really bad areas, a car wash specific brush for stubborn stuff and then rinse the bike down. Keep the simple green away from parts that need grease! Really stubborn grease gets WD-40.

Every dealer I've ever bought from has used power washers to detail their bikes. They just know where to point them.

For regular cleanings, I'll use terry towels and something like Honda spray polish or car detailing spray. No water at all.
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

Don't leave the simple green on aluminum too long.
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

BUMP

I used this thread today to figure out how to wash Baby Blue. I was gonna just use dishwashing soap so i'm glad to have found this.
SamMax

Post by SamMax »

I swear by PLEXUS... use a cloth with it...NO PAPERTOWELS, takes the dirt off and polishes at the same time
http://www.solomotoparts.com/product.ph ... ctid=16250
“I think the environment should be put in the category of our national security.
Defense of our resources is just as important as defense abroad.
Otherwise what is there to defend?”~Robert Redford
OScoot!

Post by OScoot! »

ericalm wrote:Really, the plastic is very forgiving if you follow some basic guidelines: don't use dishsoap, beware of solvents, cleaners and waxes that aren't recommended for use on plastic.
OK...so my curiousity is peaked......what's the problem with dishsoap? I've not used it, but now I'm wondering. Does it leave a film? Or does it do something horrible? :)
Last edited by OScoot! on Tue May 26, 2009 4:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ScootStevie

Post by ScootStevie »

I use armor all's wash and wax detalier. Spray it on, wipe it off with paper towels :D
Wheelz

Post by Wheelz »

Do not get armor all on your clear plastic pieces it will react and etch marks in your display-I made this mistake in my scion, and my GF won't let me forget it. The guy at the auto body shop told me to throw all the armor all i had away cause it's junk.
"Hey You, yeah, all you'se thoughts, specially you, creepy wierd one in the corner, Screw you guys, I'm going for a ride..."
ScootStevie

Post by ScootStevie »

Maybe I should have said that...I only use the armor all for body panels. window cleaner for the speedo. I've also had people suggest "Awesome" which is a cleaner you can buy at the 99 cent stores :)
BuddyLicious

Post by BuddyLicious »

djelliott wrote:
loodieboy wrote:What I find really helpful for cleaning bikes of all sorts is a scotch-brite kitchen sponge. It has the sponge on one side for delicate cleaning, like the plastic panels, and the scrubber side (plastic - not steel wool) for engine parts and rims.

Wiping it down on a regular basis with the Pledge really helps to keep the bugs and road grime from sticking on to much as well. They whisk right off. I clean my windshield and visor with it too.

Dustin
So do you just spray the lemon pledge on a cloth and wipe away? Or do you wipe with a dry cloth first,then the pledge? Inquiring minds want to know.Thanks.
Aerosmith, None Other.
uswedl41

Post by uswedl41 »

Lemon Pledge works great. Just spray it on the rag and wipe. You will be surprised at how quickly and well it cleans. It will not leave any streaks on the chrome parts either. It is the only thing I will use on my bikes other than water.
lmyers

Re: Scooter Washing

Post by lmyers »

JNV wrote:I ride in the rain.
It might not get clean, but it is just an excuse to ride some more.
+1
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Oddly enough, I just washed the Blur the other night. I hosed it down and wiped it mostly dry. No chemicals. It turned out pretty good. It turns out that I have orange rims, not black... I should have left it be.

I'd like to take a "best of" this thread for the FAQ, so if you feel strongly about one thing or another, post away. But please, if you feel strongly about something, give some reasoning behind it (like the dish soap). The heaviest thing I've ever used on mine is Simple Green and that did everything I wanted it to do.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
KCScooterDude

Post by KCScooterDude »

This thread got me off my a@@ and cleaned the Blur today. Car wash power washer, only hitting the power once or twice to hit the really grimy areas. Mainly, I just quickly soaped the bike then watered it down without pulling the trigger. Worked flawlessly. I'd say it's 98 percent clean.

Do have a question.

A few bugs on the windscreen. What's the best way to get those off?
A few scuffs on shiny plastic covering on tunnel from dragging my shoes. (The Blur's gas tank sits between your feet in this tunnel). Any thoughts? Will the pledge take these out?

One comment for Blur owners. Isn't the seat material fantastic? I have no idea what it's made of but air dries itself in seconds. You can hop right on the bike, ride home and your behind stays dry.
brettro

Post by brettro »

pshhh, i just use the gas station squeegee every couple fill-ups. :D
OScoot!

Post by OScoot! »

OScoot! wrote:
ericalm wrote:Really, the plastic is very forgiving if you follow some basic guidelines: don't use dishsoap, beware of solvents, cleaners and waxes that aren't recommended for use on plastic.
OK...so my curiousity is peaked......what's the problem with dishsoap? I've not used it, but now I'm wondering. Does it leave a film? Or does it do something horrible? :)
Pleeeeeeze.....somebody tell me what the problem is with using dishsoap? I can't stand the suspense! :shock:
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

also DO NOT USE ARMOR ALL ON YOUR SEAT OR GRIPS OR TIRES. I wouldn't use anything on your tires, some tire cleaners can cause problems with traction (sure you're just using it on the sides, but when you hose it off, it's running down into the treads!) Armor All makes your seat and grips dangerously slippery, seriously, I've done it and it was not cool.

I just use any ol' car-wash solution. if the engine's really gross, I'll hit it with some GUNK or Simple Green (keep that away from wiring and rubber though!) I never wax or anything, I don't have any plastic scooters old enough to be worth waxing. Windex for the mirrors. thats about it.

Nevr-Dull chrome wadding polish is great on real chrome, but the plastic chrome's probably best with just carwash soap and water.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

I've read (but can't seem to find it now) that dish soap will strip the shine off the plastic panels. Makes sense when I think of how dull my melamine plates and cups get over time.
Clevester

Post by Clevester »

Don't use dish soap = myth.

In the old days many dish soaps had "grit" or abrasives in them. Do not use GRITTY dish soap if that even still exists.

The truth is people use many things much stronger then household dish soap on cars.
Some say Dawn strips car wax off cars. Many swear by it FOR that purpose.

This is supposedly why Dawn even tells you NOT to use Dawn on your car. They don't want angry letters from people who now have to wax the car again. Real reason? Dawn owner Proctor and Gamble want you to buy the (much more expensive) Mr. Clean car wash system for your car!!! They would NEVER say "go ahead and use Dawn!".

From the Dawn people:
Can I use Dawn to clean things other than dishes?
Dawn is so effective in cutting grease on dishes that over the years, consumers have used Dawn on other greasy messes around their homes, from cleaning kitchen messes like grease build up on the stove range hood to oily spots in the garage. Dawn is not recommended for window cleaning, car washing, body wash or washing hair.

But permanently harming paint/finish/CC? It's a myth.
Dish soap is pretty mild...

Clevester: Mythbuster. lol

"Car Wash
Start with a car wash in a cool, shady place. Various Web sites tell you to use a car wash product, not dish soap. But some experts in the field of auto painting say they prefer to car wash with a mild dish soap, using one capful of soap to a gallon of warm water. The soap, they say, is not as important as rinsing quickly after scrubbing a section in order to prevent spotting during the car wash. "
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

For the most part, I just leave it out in the rain and only wash it with water and a rag if there's stuck-on bugs. I will recommend 2 things tho:

INTERIOR PANELS: Mother's Back-to-Black
It really restores the flat panels, and it's not just for black, I've got an Italia and it's awesome. Just
slather on a thick coat and let it sit a couple minutes and wipe it down. Good for sun-damaged panels.

WHITEWALLS: Westley's Bleche-White
Only way to clean WWs imo. Just spray it on, scrub it down with a cheapo toothbrush, and rinse it
really well. I usually never wear gloves when cleaning, but for Westley's you NEED THEM. trust me.
Last edited by KRUSTYburger on Tue May 26, 2009 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BuddyLicious

Post by BuddyLicious »

Have to agree with Clevester.We have always used dish soap on all our autos,bikes etc.Never ever a problem.Hell,I have seen it used time and time again at those car washes that the teenagers put on to raise money for school functions.
Aerosmith, None Other.
dakotamouse

Post by dakotamouse »

SamMax wrote:I swear by PLEXUS... use a cloth with it...NO PAPERTOWELS, takes the dirt off and polishes at the same time
http://www.solomotoparts.com/product.ph ... ctid=16250
Thanks for the tip about Plexus. This stuff is great! :D
Ride what you like so you'll love to ride!
Scooterist Extraordinaire!
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

I got a nice suprise when I got my 4000 mile service done. They washed my scooter for me! :D Used a bucket of soapy water (I'm assuming either car- or motorcycle-specific soap...it's a Triumph/Ducati dealer, after all) and one of those rag-mitt things. Kind of a cross between a towel and sponge. Set his hose to gentle, wet the scooter down, scrubbed her down, really had to scrub the engine area and wheels.... :oops:

The coolest part was how he dried my scooter off. Electric leaf blower! I would NEVER have thought of that! Took him all of 10 minutes at the most.
Major Redneck

Post by Major Redneck »

I use a hand held pump sprayer to wash the bike of dirt, using a "ShamWow" to wipe it with. In hard to get to places i use an old paint brush. I can wash a bike with 2 gal.s of water.

I was turned on to this years ago, "Bike Spirits" Original, spray cleaner and polish. I use it everywhere car, boat, bikes, even in the house on some thing. http://www.originalbikespirits.com/ bought a can last week at $6.99 can be found at most bike shops. This use to be called "Honda Polish/Wax. Not to be used on rubber or cloth.

On the tires i use comet.

Bike Spirits is the only thing iv found to get the flatblack matt finish clean and shining as well as repeling water, and reducing dust.

Its a good idea to clean your bike often, this give you a good chance to look it over to see if there are problems, missing bolts, screws, etc...

Theres hundreds of cleaner that will work but i found something that works well and iv stuck with it...
Scoot'in is more fun than beating up your sister, and it comes with a key!!!
dakotamouse

Post by dakotamouse »

[quote="Major Redneck"

Its a good idea to clean your bike often, this give you a good chance to look it over to see if there are problems, missing bolts, screws, etc...
[/quote]

That's just what I was thinking as I was cleaning Sophia.
Ride what you like so you'll love to ride!
Scooterist Extraordinaire!
mojobuddy70cc
Banned

more cleaning tips

Post by mojobuddy70cc »

,,for my seat i used the same stuff i use to waterproof my tent ( not the one i live in,lol),, coleman or any other waterproofing has worked really great, i also like to use a (rain-x) wipe for my speed-o glass and the headlamp, blinkie`s too,, the dollar tree ( only that $ store chain) has great micro towels, sometime pak of 2 for $1,,my home power washer does good on the wheels, ( just not close up back about 3ft),,but i guess "tire -brite" would snazz up those scruffy tire if you were in a parade or sumthin,, like sell it,,
Jessica

Post by Jessica »

+1 on the lemon pledge
Modern Buddy Member #2753
<a href="http://www.raleighscooter.org/index.html">Raleigh Scooter Organization</a> #45
Official S.P.A.Z. Member
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

:shhh: I've found riding in a pouring rain gets the bugs off! :rofl:
But then again, NO one ever said I was sane!!