Stebel Magnum horn easy to install on a 2007 Buddy 125...

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Drumwoulf

Stebel Magnum horn easy to install on a 2007 Buddy 125...

Post by Drumwoulf »

1} Remove front legshield cover. One screw in front center, two in back on tops of corners, does it!

2} Remove wire clips from old horn. Remove old horn by unscrewing bracket bolt. (10mm socket handles it.)

3} Remove flat bracket from old horn and save it to use on the Magnum.

4} Take the plastic back cover off the Magnum, and install the Magnum on the stock bracket. Then install horn and bracket in original stock horn's spot. If you place the bell of the Magnum facing down and to the left a bit, the front legshield cover will fit right back over it w/o any problem.

And that's it, you're done! And you now have a much louder horn on your '07...!

Note: I did not install any sort of relay with this horn as several Buddy dealers have told me that it's not neccessary with the Magnum, but only with the Nautilus Air Horn which has a compressor. This Magnum now also comes stock on the 2008 125 Buddys and while it's not as loud as the bigger Nautilus Air Horn on the 150cc Buds, IMO the ease of installation more than makes up for this! And hey, this sucka is still plenty LOUD!!! :lol:
Namaste,
~drummer~

07 Buddy 125
07 Vespa GT200
Racenut

Post by Racenut »

Yeah, I was checking out the horn wiring on my wife's new Buddy yesterday while I was hooking up the dead lights. Doesn't appear to be any sort of relay for the horn. And yeah, it will get your attention. I'm going to get one for the Blur fur sure :D
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

I installed the nautilus compact (louder one, with relay) in my Blur over the weekend, it was pretty simple, the only real difficulty was feeding the wire through the frame, but I was kinda drunk while I was trying to do that, and too lazy to get a coathanger from the house. You do need a decent set of tools (sockets, electrical odds and ends, a drill) but it's not difficult at all.

Nathaniel's instructions are very detailed and worked great.

It is sooooo loud. It's awesome.

Bb.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
Jessica

Post by Jessica »

Is it possible to get a picture of the way you've got it positioned? I just ordered the Stebel Magnum today for my 07 Buddy 50.
Modern Buddy Member #2753
<a href="http://www.raleighscooter.org/index.html">Raleigh Scooter Organization</a> #45
Official S.P.A.Z. Member
djelliott

Post by djelliott »

illnoise wrote:I was kinda drunk while I was trying to do that, and too lazy to get a coathanger from the house.
I have a very similar garage work ethic. Miller High Life is the first tool I usually reach for :D .

Dustin
Last edited by djelliott on Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prima pipe
UNI filter
125 Main Jet
2000RPM Stall Spring
1500RPM Clutch Springs
Dr. Pulley Variator with 11 Gram Sliders
NCY Front Forks
Prima/NCY 161cc Big Bore kit With 150 Head
KS Power GY6 Performance Springs
NCY Secondary Shieve
jmazza

Re: Stebel Magnum horn easy to install on a 2007 Buddy 125..

Post by jmazza »

Drumwoulf wrote: If you place the bell of the Magnum facing down and to the left a bit, the front legshield cover will fit right back over it w/o any problem.
My experience with trying this was that the bell of the horn touched the front legshield cover which significantly alters the sound of the horn (quieter and kind of buzzy).

YMMV, but I had to find an alternate spot for the horn and used the original bracket ziptied to a different place on the frame.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

djelliott wrote:
illnoise wrote:I was kinda drunk while I was trying to do that, and too lazy to get a coathanger from the house.
I have a very similar garage work ethic. Miller High Life is the first tool I usually reach for :D .

Dustin
Oh, it wasn't like that at all. It was 1AM and I'd just ridden my Vespa home from the bar, but I couldn't find my official scooter-fixing coathanger, and i didn't want to wake up my wife or daughter to get a hanger from one of the bedrooms.

Now that I look at it typed out, that sounds pretty irresponsible.

Bb.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
Drumwoulf

Post by Drumwoulf »

jmazza wrote:
Drumwoulf wrote: If you place the bell of the Magnum facing down and to the left a bit, the front legshield cover will fit right back over it w/o any problem.
My experience with trying this was that the bell of the horn touched the front legshield cover which significantly alters the sound of the horn (quieter and kind of buzzy).

YMMV, but I had to find an alternate spot for the horn and used the original bracket ziptied to a different place on the frame.
Did you remove the uneccessary back plastic cover from the horn? If not, maybe that made it stick out too far? Also I reused the flat bracket metal strip that was on the old horn, as the new ones that came with the Magnum looked a bit longer... :wink:
Anyway, I had no such problem, just put the bell face down and to the left a bit and reinstalled the cover. Sounds loud and great! :shock:
Namaste,
~drummer~

07 Buddy 125
07 Vespa GT200
Drumwoulf

Post by Drumwoulf »

illnoise wrote:
djelliott wrote:

Dustin
Oh, it wasn't like that at all. It was 1AM and I'd just ridden my Vespa home from the bar, but I couldn't find my official scooter-fixing coathanger, and i didn't want to wake up my wife or daughter to get a hanger from one of the bedrooms.

Now that I look at it typed out, that sounds pretty irresponsible.
Bb.
Especially to your wife and daughter? Find a bar you can walk to... 8)
Namaste,
~drummer~

07 Buddy 125
07 Vespa GT200
eldoroddo

Post by eldoroddo »

djelliott wrote:

Dustin
100 Proof Southern Comfort and Diet Coke. :D
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

Drumwoulf wrote:
jmazza wrote:

Did you remove the uneccessary back plastic cover from the horn? If not, maybe that made it stick out too far? Also I reused the flat bracket metal strip that was on the old horn, as the new ones that came with the Magnum looked a bit longer... :wink:
Anyway, I had no such problem, just put the bell face down and to the left a bit and reinstalled the cover. Sounds loud and great! :shock:
Yup I did both. I may not have messed with it enough to find the perfect position for the bell but it seemed like every way I turned it, it was touching the front cover and reducing the power.

Which one do you have in there? Low or Hi tone?

I bought both, started with the low but now use the hi.
Drumwoulf

Post by Drumwoulf »

jmazza wrote:
Drumwoulf wrote:
jmazza wrote: My experience with trying this was that the bell of the horn touched the front legshield cover which significantly alters the sound of the horn (quieter and kind of buzzy).

Yup I did both. I may not have messed with it enough to find the perfect position for the bell but it seemed like every way I turned it, it was touching the front cover and reducing the power.

Low. It's waht got mailed to me from Scooterworks. Do you like the high better?
Namaste,
~drummer~

07 Buddy 125
07 Vespa GT200
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

Drumwoulf wrote:
jmazza wrote:

Low. It's waht got mailed to me from Scooterworks. Do you like the high better?
I don't think I have a serious preference. I started with the low but I think the hi might be a bit more noticeable. Now that I've ridden with the hi for a while I was thinking of swapping out back to the low and getting a feel for how people respond.
Jessica

Post by Jessica »

I installed the Stebel Magnum today on my Buddy 50. It was very easy to do. I have the hi tone and it sounds very much like a car horn. Here's a picture of how I had to position it to get the front panel back on:
Attachments
000_0347.jpg
000_0347.jpg (75.27 KiB) Viewed 1446 times
Last edited by Jessica on Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<a href="http://www.raleighscooter.org/index.html">Raleigh Scooter Organization</a> #45
Official S.P.A.Z. Member
un_designer

Post by un_designer »

jmazza do you have a way of recording sound and posting it as an mp3 file? it would be cool to hear the differences between the low and hi tones. thx.
Lil Buddy

Post by Lil Buddy »

un_designer wrote:jmazza do you have a way of recording sound and posting it as an mp3 file? it would be cool to hear the differences between the low and hi tones. thx.
The stebel website has sound clips:
http://www.stebel.it/stebel/index2006.htm

BTW Jessica.....I reconize that running light adapter :)
italiaguy

Post by italiaguy »

You know... I heard these horns are really loud. In fact a friend of my cousin's friend's brother once dropped his cell phone out the car window when a scooter rider beeped his horn. Scared him to death it was soooo loud. Then someone ran over that phone and crushed it into a million pieces – right there on the road. Damn scooter riders! :wink:
Jessica

Post by Jessica »

Lil Buddy wrote: BTW Jessica.....I reconize that running light adapter :)
Yep, works GREAT! I ended up tapping into the orange horn wire. I looked for the solid yellow wire, found TWO solid yellow wires running side by side, got confused and said...ok, let's try orange. No problems there. I feel much more visible in the dark. :)
Official S.P.A.Z. Member
Drumwoulf

Post by Drumwoulf »

italiaguy wrote:You know... I heard these horns are really loud. In fact a friend of my cousin's friend's brother once dropped his cell phone out the car window when a scooter rider beeped his horn. Scared him to death it was soooo loud. Then someone ran over that phone and crushed it into a million pieces – right there on the road. Damn scooter riders! :wink:
That's the bigger Stebel air horn. The Magnum won't scare anyone, it just sounds like a fairly loud car horn...
Namaste,
~drummer~

07 Buddy 125
07 Vespa GT200
Drumwoulf

Post by Drumwoulf »

Jessica wrote:I installed the Stebel Magnum today on my Buddy 50. It was very easy to do. I have the hi tone and it sounds very much like a car horn. Here's a picture of how I had to position it to get the front panel back on:
See, it is possible to get a picture... :lol:
That's exactly where I installed mine too, and it works fine... 8)
Namaste,
~drummer~

07 Buddy 125
07 Vespa GT200
Drumwoulf

Post by Drumwoulf »

Lil Buddy wrote:
un_designer wrote:jmazza do you have a way of recording sound and posting it as an mp3 file? it would be cool to hear the differences between the low and hi tones. thx.
The stebel website has sound clips:
http://www.stebel.it/stebel/index2006.htm
Yeah, except the damn fools put the SAME sound on both horn sound clips! :P
Namaste,
~drummer~

07 Buddy 125
07 Vespa GT200
etak

Post by etak »

Help! I tried to install a stebel magnum horn (TM80) in my '07 Buddy.

First, there was no way that I could see to fit it where the old horn was without it touching the front panel - I mean, no way to do just a switch.

Second, when I put the old horn back in, it didn't work! If I pushed hard on one part of it, it would work. Otherwise it just kind of clicked.

So now I have no horn at all. :(

I don't know if this is helpful, but here's a picture with the old horn in place, and a picture of the stebel magnum.

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.
-Leonard Cohen

etak

Post by etak »

Anyone have any suggestions?
Like a bird on the wire,
-Leonard Cohen

jmazza

Post by jmazza »

I need to get inside mine and take a pic but I know that i ended up first not using that little plastic cover piece and then i just zip tied it to something on the inside- not bolted to an actual mounting bracket at all. It just took some figuring and a couple tries.
etak

Post by etak »

thanks. a picture would be great.
Like a bird on the wire,
-Leonard Cohen

Beamster

Post by Beamster »

Did you find it loud?

Bikewebworld wasn't too impressed:
http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle- ... el-magnum/
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

I'll get you one tomorrow etak. And yes, it's a pretty loud horn. It's no stebel nautilus but I have never had a cager miss it yet. A definite no-brainer improvement over the stock horn.
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

Pics of how I have it installed. Like I said, it still requires some moving around to make sure it doesn't hit the legshield but I've had it in there for quite a while with no movement. The zip tie is pretty tight.

General placement:

Detail:

Hope this helps!
Last edited by jmazza on Sat May 23, 2009 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

thanks for the pics!
etak

Post by etak »

Thanks a lot, Joe. I'll give this a try.
Like a bird on the wire,
-Leonard Cohen

jmazza

Post by jmazza »

No problem- you might not be able to tell but I took the mounting bracket provided and bent it into roughly an "S" shape to make that work. Look closely and you'll see what I mean!
OScoot!

Post by OScoot! »

jmazza wrote:Pics of how I have it installed. Like I said, it still requires some moving around to make sure it doesn't hit the legshield but I've had it in there for quite a while with no movement. The zip tie is pretty tight.
Hmmm....interesting how my Buddy looks a little different from this. Oh well, I installed mine back in the same location where the original horn was placed, but tilted the holding bracket into a position at about 11:00 or so.

Now, what's the problem with the horn touching the legshield? And by legshield are you talking about the front piece of plastic that you took off to get to the horn? If not....then I can't see how in the world it could ever touch the back side......the part where the ignition is inserted.

Mine seems to work fine, so I'm curious as to what I'm missing here. I'm pretty sure that my horn touches the front buddy plastic cover.